Connect with us

News

The Tide Attack: Police Assures Better Security

Published

on

The Rivers State Police Command says adequate security measures will be put in place at the premises of Rivers State Newspaper Corporation (RSNC) Publishers of The Tide Newspapers to safeguard lives and property within the corporation.
The Divisional Police Officer in-charge Mile 1 Police Division, Mr. Paddy Pagon stated this when he led the deputy Commissioner of Police, and other Officers of the command to the scene of armed robbery attack at the State Newspaper Corporation last Monday.
Pagon said the security arrangement would enhance free movement of persons, especially staff of the corporation whose major duties are at night, and assured of the Police’s readiness to rid the area of criminals.
He used the medium to warn criminals to keep away from the state, especially within Mile 1, Diobu axis, adding that the Division has zero-tolerance for criminal activities.
“They should repent and desist from the acts of criminality or be ready to face the consequences of their actions. As these two armed robbers are gunned down, that is how any of them will be killed if they fail to give up”, he stated.
Speaking to journalists, the General Manager, Rivers State Newspaper Corporation, Mr. Celestine Ogolo, described the incident as most unfortunate, adding that the armed robbery attack has affected the business of the Corporation.
Ogolo explained that since over 43 years of the establishment of the Newspaper outfit, such incident, had not occurred, and wondered why the armed robbers took such interest in a newspaper house.
He said he received a distress call from one of his staff at about 1.19am informing him of the armed robbery attack, adding that he responded swiftly by calling the Police emergency numbers.
“For over 43 years, we have been in this business without this sad experience. We don’t know what attracted them to the corporation.
“I received a call from my staff at 1.19 am about the robbery incident and quickly called the Police emergency number. The Police quickly arrived the premises on time but unfortunately, the armed robbers  shot the Police man. The Police also killed two of the robbers”, he stated.
The General Manager explained that the Management would partner with the Police to ensure that there was absolute security in the area.
On the issue of fencing the premises, Ogolo said the matter would be discussed again with the Commissioner of Information, adding that it had earlier been taken to the Ministry of Housing & Urban Development.
Earlier, labour unions in the Corporation had decried the level of insecurity at the Corporation.
The Unions, the Nigeria union of journalists (NUJ), National Union of Publishing, Printing and Paper Products workers (NUPPPPROW), and two others made this disclosure when they met with the General Manager of the RSNC, Mr. Celestine Ogolo, over the  incident.
The Unions, while sympathizing with the management and staff of the corporation urged workers to be calm and go about their normal duties, assuring that the unions would work with management to ensure that security of workers was guaranteed.
The union lenders, led by the National Vice President, NUPPPPROW, South-South; Com. Godwin Williams, urged the state government to immediately commence the reconstruction of the corporation’s fence that was demolished by the Ministry of Housing and Urban Development, adding that workers would not allow any form of insecurity that would put their members’ lives at risk.
It would be recalled that armed robbers, numbering five had stormed the premises of The Tide Newspapers on Monday about 1.19am, and dispossessed staff on night duty of their valuables and undisclosed amount of money.
An eyewitness, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the armed robbers first attacked the production unit, and made away with the phones and monies belonging to machine operators before gaining access to the first floor of the main building where editorial staff were busy finalizing work on the Monday edition of The Tide Newspaper.
The source further said that the robbers held one of the staff hostage because he appears to have known them, and decided to kill him, adding that the robbers ordered the driver on night duty to take them to the General Manager’s office on the second floor of the building.
According to him, while the driver was taking them there, one of the proof readers on the first floor, opened the door unknowingly, adding that immediately the robbers sighted the staff, they ordered them inside the office.
The staff said that while the robbers were at the proof reading office, the Police arrived and one of the Police Officers, in an attempt to rescue the workers followed the robbers to the first floor and was shot by of one of the robbers before he fired back at the robber.
He said the Police lost one of their officers and also killed two of the armed robbers during the exchange of gun fire.
Six staff members who sustained various injuries were hospitalized after they had been rescued from the armed robbers.

Continue Reading

News

US Embassy, Lagos Consulate Close Today For President’s Day

Published

on

The United States Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed today, in observance of Presidents’ Day.

The mission made this known in a notice shared on its official X page, yesterday.

“The U.S. Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed on Monday, February 16, 2026, in observance of Presidents’ Day,” the post read.

According to the embassy, Presidents’ Day was originally established to honour the birthday of the former US President, George Washington, but has evolved into a day to celebrate all U.S. presidents and their leadership in shaping the country’s history.

The embassy noted that the holiday also recognises the influence of U.S. presidents on global affairs.

In a related message, the mission highlighted that Washington created the first “Badge of Military Merit,” which later became the Purple Heart. The medal still bears Washington’s image today.

Presidents’ Day is observed on the third Monday of February annually in the United States as a federal holiday.

Continue Reading

News

Guterres Backs Nigeria’s Bid For UN Security Council Seat …Hails Tinubu’s Reforms, Regional Security Role

Published

on

United Nations Secretary-General, António Guterres, has charged Nigeria with spearheading Africa’s quest for a restructured global order, describing the country as uniquely positioned to lead the continent toward superpower status.

Guterres, who backed Nigeria’s bid for the world body’s security council seat, also praised the economic reforms of the President Bola Tinubu-led administration as well as Nigeria’s leadership in stabilising the Sahel and ECOWAS regions, despite facing its own security challenges.

The UN scribe made the remarks last Friday night during a high-level bilateral meeting with Vice President Kashim Shettima on the sidelines of the 39th African Union (AU) Summit in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.

Speaking during the meeting, Guterres said Nigeria’s large population, sustained democratic governance, vast natural and human resources, and longstanding commitment to multilateralism placed it in a unique position to lead Africa in the evolving global order.

“Given Nigeria’s demographic strength, democratic continuity and deep resource base, the country stands a real chance of leading Africa to becoming the next superpower in the evolving global architecture,” he said.

The UN Secretary-General and the vice president discussed key developments in Nigeria and the country’s expanding leadership role in promoting regional stability across West Africa and the Sahel.

Guterres commended the remarkable and outstanding reforms of the administration of President Tinubu, noting that Nigeria’s bold economic restructuring and security commitments have strengthened its continental standing.

The meeting focused on strengthening Nigeria–UN collaboration to advance global economic growth, peace and security, sustainable development, and a coordinated humanitarian response across Africa.

In his remarks, Shettima thanked the UN Secretary-General for his leadership in advancing global peace, noting that Africa has benefited immensely from his tenure, even as the United Nations undergoes internal restructuring.

“We remain committed to multilateralism and to deepening our partnerships with the United Nations and other global institutions,” the vice president said.

Shettima also reiterated Nigeria’s longstanding call for comprehensive reform of the United Nations system to reflect evolving global realities.

He emphasised that Africa must have stronger representation in global decision-making structures and declared that Nigeria deserves a permanent seat on the United Nations Security Council.

Both leaders pledged to deepen cooperation, with Guterres reaffirming the UN’s support for Nigeria’s reform agenda and its growing leadership role in advancing peace, security, and development across Africa.

 

Continue Reading

News

Four To Face Death Penalty Over DPO Angbashim’s Murder

Published

on

A Rivers State High Court sitting in Port Harcourt has convicted and sentenced four persons to death by hanging over the gruesome killing of the former Divisional Police Officer of Ahoada East Police Division, SP Bako Angbashim.

The presiding Judge, Justice Sika Aprioku, in a landmark judgment, last Thursday, found the quartet guilty of conspiracy, murder, membership of a secret cult group and robbery, saying the prosecution proved its case beyond reasonable doubt.

Those sentenced to death by hanging are Robinson Sonabari, identified as a native doctor; Bright Okparawo; Precious Amaeze, popularly known as Selina; and Loveday Jack, also known as Ragged Excess. The court ordered that they be hanged by the neck until they are confirmed dead.

Justice Aprioku also convicted the sixth defendant, Samuel Nwadinma, and sentenced him to three years imprisonment for conspiracy.

The third accused person was, however, discharged and acquitted of the four-count charge.

In the same vein, the court discharged Famous Okechukwu, Samuel Uchendu, Oyekachi Ikonwa, Godbless Nnamdi and Marshall Daniel, who were earlier found guilty of membership of a secret cult group, on the grounds that they had already served the maximum terms prescribed by law in the correctional facility.

The court held that among those convicted was the native doctor who allegedly prepared the charm used in the killing of the late DPO.

Speaking with newsmen shortly after the judgment, the lead prosecution counsel from the Rivers State Ministry of Justice, Chigozie Amadi, alongside a representative of the police legal team, Celestine Dickson, commended the judiciary for ensuring that justice was served.

Dickson, who represented the Nigeria Police Force in the joint prosecution, expressed concern that officers saddled with the responsibility of protecting lives and property had increasingly become targets of criminal elements.

He, however, expressed optimism that the judgment would serve as a strong deterrent to would-be offenders.

Also reacting, the elder brother of the late DPO, Akasco Angbashim, who travelled from Nasarawa State to witness the judgment, said the verdict had healed a long-standing wound inflicted on the family since the brutal murder of their brother.

He commended the judiciary, the Rivers State Government and the police for their commitment to justice, stressing that the judgment sends a clear message that no individual has the right to unlawfully take another person’s life.

The four convicts were among 72 persons initially arraigned before the State High Court by a joint prosecution team comprising the Department of Public Prosecutions and the Rivers State Police Command over the murder.

During the trial, 61 accused persons, including the Eze Ekpeye Logbo, Eze Kelvin Anugwo, and a former Ahoada East Council Chairman, Cassidy Ikegbidi, were discharged and acquitted for lack of evidence, leaving 13 defendants to face judgment.

SP Angbashim was gruesomely murdered on September 8, 2023, during a police operation in Odemude community, Ahoada East Local Government Area.

His killing sparked tension in the area, prompting a joint security operation that led to the death of the suspected cult leader, David Okparanwo, popularly known as 2Baba.

By: King Onunwor

 

Continue Reading

Trending