Business
Rivers Police Nab 19 Kidnappers, Kill Six …As Search For 7-Day Old Baby Intensifies In Abia
The Rivers State Police Command, says it arrested nineteen kidnappers within the month of June, 2011 in the state, while six others were killed.
The Commissioner of Police of the Command, Mr Suleiman Abba disclosed this yesterday while briefing newsmen over the command’s activities in the last one month in Port Harcourt.
The Police Commissioner also disclosed that sixty armed robbers were arrested in the same month of June 2011 in the state.
Mr Abba further said that the command also paraded a medical student alleged to be member of armed robbery gang operating along the Choba-NTA road in the state.
He said the suspected armed robber student was arrested by the special police patrol team in the area few days ago.
The commissioner of police used the opportunity to assure the general public of adequate security throughout the period of the 17th National Sports Festival in the state..
Meanwhile, the Rivers State Commissioner of Police, Suleiman Abba has said that over sixteen thousand police officers and hundred of other security personnel have been deployed to mount security for the sport festival in the state.
He said the police would not leave any stone unturned to ensure that the participants and the general public including properties were secured in the state.
In another development, the police in Aba, Abia State have intensified their search for a seven-day-old baby boy who was allegedly abducted by gunmen who stormed the home of his parents on June 27.
Our correspondent reports that the family of Mr Sunday Njoku of Amaise Umuokerengwa, in Obingwa Local government Area of Abia State, is seriously traumatised that it was yet to hear from the abductors of the baby.
A family source told newsmen that two unidentified gunmen stormed the home of the couple at about 2.45am and took away the baby at gun-point.
He said that efforts made so far to reach the abductors had been futile, which had aggravated their concern for the health of the baby, said to be the fifth in the family.
Mr Rabiu Dayi, the Aba Area Police Commander, who confirmed the incident to our correspondent yesterday, said the police had already swung into action and scaled up their investigation.
Meanwhile, members of the community have become apprehensive over the incident, which they described as very strange in the area.
They told newsmen that some soldiers currently on security assignment under ‘‘Operation Jubilee” in Obingwa Local Government Area were cooperating with them and had adopted a common strategy to fish out the abductors.
They said some members of the community had already been questioned over the incident.
Meanwhile, the father of the seven-day-old baby abducted in Amaise Umuokerengwa community of Abia State, Mr Sunday Njoku, has appealed to the abductors to free his son.
The baby, the fifth in the family, was abducted at about 2:45 a.m. on Monday by two unidentified gunmen.
Njoku, who said he had yet to hear from the abductors, urged them to release the child and save the family from further agony.
He said further that efforts made so far to reach the abductors had been futile.
Mr Rabiu Dayi, Aba Area Police Commander, who confirmed the incident to newsmen yesterday, said it was being investigated.
Residents of the community, however, had become apprehensive over the incident as it was unprecedented.
Our correspondent gathered that soldiers in the “ Operation Jubilee’’ security outfit in the area had met with the villagers to adopt a common strategy to fish out the abductors.
Business
Association Seeks Intervention to Save Domestic Airlines
Business
CBN Reforms Impact Consumers As Dollar Card Spending Limits Rise
“Payment of tuition fees for undergraduate/postgraduate studies shall be subject to a maximum limit of $25,000.00 per semester,” the Manual states.
The expansion of international card limits also reflects growing confidence among lenders that foreign exchange liquidity has improved enough to support retail dollar transactions.
Speaking recently at the BusinessDay 14th Annual CEO Forum in Lagos, CBN Olayemi Cardoso, governor of the CBN said buying and selling activities now increasingly determine outcomes in the foreign exchange market, unlike in the past when market participants relied heavily on routine Central Bank interventions.
According to Cardoso, Nigeria’s net foreign exchange reserves have risen from just over $3 billion at the start of the reform programme to more than $40 billion, while gross reserves have climbed to about $52 billion, providing stronger confidence for investors and enabling the Central Bank to reserve interventions for periods of market stress rather than day-to-day liquidity management.
The restoration and expansion of international naira card spending limits are increasingly being seen as one of the clearest signs that the benefits of the CBN’s foreign exchange reforms are beginning to reach households, students and businesses making legitimate cross-border payments.
Business
WEC: FG Inaugurates Governing Board … As Nigeria Rejoins Council
The Secretary-General and Chief Executive Officer, WEC, Dr Angela Wilkinson, disclosed this in a statement, last Thursday.
“Nigeria’s participation comes at a pivotal time as the country seeks to expand energy access, strengthen energy security, accelerate gas development and mobilise the capital required for industrialisation and sustainable economic growth.
“WEC Nigeria will convene leaders from across the energy ecosystem, apply the WEC’s globally recognised Energy Trilemma framework to Nigeria’s unique context, and promote evidence-based dialogue, practical collaboration and informed policymaking.
“It will also ensure that Nigerian and broader African perspectives contribute meaningfully to global energy conversations,” she said.
Wilkinson expressed confidence that Nigeria would play a significant leadership role at the World Energy Congress scheduled for Riyadh in April 2027 and beyond.
The statement also quoted the Chairman of WEC Nigeria, Isa, as describing the country’s participation as an opportunity to deepen national and African leadership within the global energy community through practical solutions tailored to regional development priorities.
He said the platform would promote collaboration across sectors and attract sustainable investments into Nigeria’s energy sector.
The Chief Executive Officer of WEC Nigeria, Wunti, was quoted in the statement as saying that the council would connect leadership, evidence and investment to build a secure, affordable and sustainable energy system.
“This system will be capable of driving economic growth and shared prosperity.”
According to him, the platform will also connect Nigerian institutions and businesses with international knowledge, technology, partnerships and investment opportunities through the World Energy Council’s global network.
Recall that WEC, founded in 1923, is the world’s oldest independent and impartial community of energy leaders and practitioners, advancing informed, collaborative and practical action across the global energy system.
-
News26 minutes agoKenPoly Holds Eight Convocations, August 29
-
News26 minutes agoOsun Guber: Probe Vote-Buying, Violence, SERAP Urges INEC, EFCC, ICPC
-
News26 minutes agoArmy Intercepts Courier With 180 Explosives In Zamfara
-
News26 minutes ago2027: Adeleke Reaffirms Support For Tinubu, Calls Him Osun Son
-
News26 minutes agoNigerian military raises alarm over attempt to hack X account
-
News26 minutes agoBonny Chamber Of Commerce Holds Tourism, Investment Summit … Seeks Private Sector Driven Tourism Initiative
-
News26 minutes agoPolice Arrest Fake Soldier, Others For Armed Robbery, Kidnapping
-
News26 minutes agoNiMet predicts three-day cloudy, thundery weather
