Connect with us

Business

Major Security Flaw Found In Android Phones

Published

on

A significant security hole has been discovered in Google’s Android operating system for smartphones, which can allow attackers to gain access to users’ personal information without their permission, the CNN has reported

The flaw, which was discovered by three research assistants at Ulm University in the southern part of Germany, affects approximately 97 per cent of Android users.

In a recent blog post, the researchers found that users of Android devices running versions 2.3.3 and below could be susceptible to attack when they are connected to unencrypted Wi-Fi networks. Anyone else on that network could gain access to, modify or delete Android users’ calendars, photos and contacts.

“It is quite easy,” the researchers wrote in a blog post. “The implications of this vulnerability reach from disclosure to loss of personal information.”

A spokesman for Google said the company is aware of this issue, and a fix is already in place for the calendar and contacts applications in the latest versions of Android, codenamed “Gingerbread” and “Honeycomb.” A solution is also in the works for Google’s Picasa photo sharing service, he said.

Only about 3 per cent of Android users have the latest versions of the operating system, but Google said Android users running older versions will get a fix “in the next few days.” Users don’t need to take any action, and the patch will roll out globally.

The security flaw stems from Google making use of unencrypted login protocol for the affected services. By using HTTP, rather than the more secure HTTPS, “an adversary can easily sniff the login information,” according to the blog post.

The kind of attack that can be performed on Android devices over unencrypted Wi-Fi networks is similar to so-called “Sidejacking” attacks on Facebook or Twitter. For instance, Firesheep, a free Firefox extension that collects data broadcast over an unprotected Wi-Fi network, allows users to gain access to other people’s Facebook accounts.

Though the researchers found that any unsecured application making use of an Android user’s photos, contacts or calendars could be compromised, the data an attacker can gain access to is limited to those three groups. The security bug does not, for example, allow intruders to view a user’s e-mails.

Google was able to fix the problem on its end by requiring an HTTPS connection for calendar and contacts synchronisation. By solving the problem on its own servers, Google was able to get around a notoriously slow Android update process: after Google updates the code, manufacturing partners and carriers then manipulate the code for each device.

As a result, the vast majority of Android users are still running “Froyo,” which launched in May 2010. A quarter of users are still on “Eclair,” which came out all the way back in January of last year.

That means a patch for the security hole could have been months or years away for many Android users had Google not found a workaround.

In addition to switching to HTTPS, the researchers also suggested Google prevent Android devices from automatically remembering and logging onto unencrypted Wi-Fi networks. Google did not say whether it had taken any of those steps.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Business

CAC Registers 245,000  SMEs Free Of Charge

Published

on

The Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC) says it has registered more than 245,000 Small and Medium Enterp-rises  free of charge.
The Registrar-General, Alhaji Garba Abubakar,  said in Abuja on Wednesday that it did this with the approval of the Federal Government.
The Federal Government, he said, approved the free registration of 250,000 business names as part of its intervention to assuage the economic effect of Covid-19.
He said the Federal  Government paid 50 per cent of the cost of registration to CAC and more than 245,000 business names were consequently registered.
Abubakar explained that the process was electronic and applicants also got their certificates electronically.
He added that the numbers were divided between the 36 states of the federation and the FCT noting that Lagos, Abia and Kano States had the largest numbers.
He said free registration of 6, 606 business names was approved for 33 states while Abia, Lagos and Kano States would have 7, 906, 9,084 and 8,406 respectively.
Abubakar noted that aggregators were appointed and paid to collect SMEs information and submit same to CAC.
He explained that the commission provided special access for the aggregators for effective service delivery since they were responsible for scanning and uploading of documents.
He added that CAC had to take over from one of the aggregators appointed for two states but failed to deliver.
Abubakar said also that the intervention of CAC and appointment of substitute aggregators to take over in the two states sped up the process, already nearing completion.
“We are hoping that by end of September the exercise will come to an end,’’ he said.

Continue Reading

Business

IPMAN Seeks Foreign Partnership For Robust Refinery Deal

Published

on

The Chairman, Rivers State Chapter of Independent Petroleum Marketers Association of Nigeria (IPMAN),  Mr King Eppie, has said that he would be seeking the partnership of foreign bodies as part of his plans to strengthen the association.
Eppie said this when he spoke in a chat with newsmen in his office in Eleme, Eleme Local Government Area, Rivers State, Wednesday.
He pointed out that such plans would also encourage business growth especially to some of his members whom he said are  experiencing stormy business weather.
According to him, the challenging business condition was as a result of  non functional refineries in the country, stressing the need to seek for partnership.
He said that since its core business area was petroleum products, that his leadership would do all within its reach to improve the  system.
The Rivers IPMAN boss,  expressed hope that the ailing refineries in the country would bounce back to life.
“ I will be happy to see the refineries working again. Most of our members are suffering and business is no longer what it used to be, that’s why I want the refineries to come back to operation”, he said.
About the issue of legal battle in the association, he said that his team has been vindicated by the Apex court by declaring him the authentic chairman of IPMAN in Rivers State.
He recalled that the association was in a legal battle for about eight years, but expressed joy over its victorious end.
To those who were on the other side of the divide, he said that he has extended an olive branch to them as part of his plans to run an  all inclusive government.
“ The platform for those who went to court against us has been created for them to come back to the fold. IPMAN is one in the state and we are open to all, that is why we want everyone to come back”, he said.
The Tide learnt that the IPMAN chairman is  barely one week in office after years of legal battle that greeted the association as a result of leadership tussle.

By:King Onunwor

Continue Reading

Business

1,818 MSMEs Benefit From Covid-19 Recovery Package In Delta

Published

on

No fewer than 1,818 Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) have benefited from Federal Government and the World Bank Covid-19 Action Recovery Economic Stimulus (NG-CARES) in Delta.
Governor Ifeanyi Okowa addressed the beneficiaries at the launch of funds disbursement in Asaba on Wednesday.
He commended the Federal Government and the World Bank for the partnership to provide succour for those affected by the pandemic in the country.
He said that now that the scheme had been domesticated in the state, the beneficiaries were in the first phase of the programme.
Okowa also lauded the Nigeria Governor’s Forum (NGF) for supporting the federal government to ensure that the programme was approved by the World Bank for implementation in Nigeria.
He also thanked the World Bank for the intervention and for working with state governments in the country towards cushioning the socio-economic effects of Covid-19 pandemic on the people, particularly the poor and vulnerable.
According to Okowa, today’s ceremony is a major step at putting MSMEs that are badly hurt by the pandemic on the path of recovery and growth.
He said this was “more so, with the disbursement of funds to the first set of 1,818 beneficiaries who have met the World Bank stipulated eligibility criteria within the initial six months.
“A total of 2,529 MSMEs are expected to receive grants to support post-covid-19 loans, operational costs and to enhance their IT capabilities.
“Indeed, we are glad to be part of the CARES programme of the Federal Government.
“The focus of intervention clearly aligns with the priority of the state government to give relief to those whose lives, businesses, jobs and means of livelihood have been distorted by the pandemic.
“The programme, which we have domesticated as the Delta CARES, is a two-year emergency recovery programme.
“It is aimed at supporting state governments’ budgeted programme of expenditures and interventions.
“It is to enable them to expand access to livelihood support, food security services, and grants for poor and vulnerable households and firms,” he said.
He said that the programme would also directly support 25,269 poor and vulnerable households with social transfers, basic services and livelihood grants.
The governor said it would as well support 13,976 farmers to boost food production and ensure smooth functioning of the food supply chain.
“The outlined figures are the targets stipulated by the World Bank, but do not preclude the State Government from scaling up if the need arises.
“It is my expectation that those charged with the implementation of Delta-CARES will be faithful in executing the mandate so that the desired results are achieved, bearing in mind that it is a Programme for Result (PforR),” Okowa said.
On his part, Dr Barry Pere-Gbe, Chairman, Steering Committee for Delta-CARES and State Commissioner for Economic Planning, commended Okowa for providing the funds for the programme.
Pere-Gbe was represented by the Commissioner for Youths Development, Mr Ifeanyi Egwunyenga.
He said that the main focus of the programme was to bring succour to residents whose means of livelihood had been disrupted by the impacts of Covid-19.
He said that the programme was hinged on three thematic area.

Continue Reading

Trending