Sports
Super Eagles Will Fly High Again – Siasia
New Super Eagles’ head coach Samson Siasia has promised to bring about a new Super Eagles team that would satisfy the yearnings of all Nigerians.
Speaking after being unveiled by the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) as the coach to take full charge of the team, Siasia said he was going to work hard to weave a new team.
“I promise to do everything humanly possible to make sure the Super Eagles fly. This Super Eagles must fly again,’’ he said.
Siasia was officially presented as the new Eagles head coach at an unveiling ceremony held at the Abuja National Stadium.
The former Eagles’ striker, however, urged Nigerian football stakeholders against undue optimism about the team, saying the team’s success was a collective responsibility.
“It is now no longer a matter of whether we are sure Siasia is the right coach for the team, he has been appointed and he is now the coach. The issue is that we all have to work.
“We have to work for the team and Nigeria to succeed, and if we don’t succeed, it is not going to be Siasia alone, but Nigeria as a whole,’’ he said.
Siasia acknowledged the overwhelming support of Nigerians he received on the way to being appointed, and said he was grateful to all.
“I just want to thank God for all this, and many others, especially all the players along the way, because I won’t have been here without all your support.
“This has taken so long. It has been dragging for too long, but today I am grateful to God for allowing this day to come, and I thank all Nigerians for all their belief, support and prayers,’’ he said.
Speaking earlier on the occasion, Sports Minister/Chairman, National Sports Commission (NSC), Alhaji Isa Bio, had praised the NFF for expediting action on the issue of appointing a head coach for the Super Eagles.
“We at the NSC are very pleased with what the NFF is doing, and the way they have sped up action on appointing a coach for the Eagles, and I see Siasia enjoying a good relationship with the federation,’’ he said.
Bio, who was represented by the NSC Director-General, Dr Patrick Ekeji, remarked that Siasia’s appointment was well deserved based on his pedigree and achievements.
“He deserves it based on what we all know, having brought up good teams that culminated in our outing at the Beijing Olympics in China in 2008, and it is just logical that he should handle same players at the senior team.
“But God’s time is always the best, and it is Providence that has made it this way,’’ he said.
While presenting Siasia, NFF President Aminu Maigari had said the coach’s appointment was a way of delivering on a promise.
“We gave a promise to Nigerians on this a few months ago when we came in, and this explains the speedy manner in getting a coach for the Eagles. It is an indication of our desire to uplift our football,’’ he said.
Maigari said the NFF had found Siasia to be competent and desirous of leading the team to greater heights, and promised him a free hand to operate.
“His duties have been well captured in the contract papers he is signing today, and we won’t be disclosing the details because of the confidentiality clause in it.
“But it is a four-year contract renewable upon satisfactory performances. It is performance-based, and Siasia has the liberty of picking his immediate assistant, while the NFF will pick the other backroom staff,’’ he said.
Maigari, however, told Siasia on the need to “hit the ground running’’ because of the enormity of his assignment.
“You must hit the ground running, as both the NFF and the generality of Nigerians want immediate results. Your choice is good and beautiful, especially as it is the choice of most Nigerians.
“I, however, appeal to all Nigerians to give Siasia all the desired support for him to perform. We have confidence that he can do it, but he still needs the support of all to do that,’’ he said.
Siasia’s appointment took effect from December 1.
Sports
Inter Best Juventus To Maintain Serie A Lead
Andrea Cambiaso scored at both ends during the first half of Saturday’s Derby d’Italia, before Pierre Kalulu’s red card forced Juventus to play the entire second half a man light.
Substitute Francesco Pio Esposito got Inter back in front with a bullet header, then Manuel Locatelli’s pinpoint finish looked to have salvaged a point for the Bianconeri, before Zielinski struck on the cusp of stoppage time.
Juventus made the brighter start, but they were masters of their own downfall in the 17th minute, when Cambiaso deflected Luis Henrique’s cross beyond Michele Di Gregorio.
Cambiaso atoned within nine minutes, catching Henrique on his heels when Weston McKennie’s cross squirmed through to the back post and applying a side-footed finish.
But after Bremer cleared Zielinski’s dinked effort off the line, Juve’s hopes were damaged when Kalulu received his second yellow card for a 42nd-minute pull on Alessandro Bastoni, though the Inter centre-back appeared to go down theatrically.
Di Gregorio made a remarkable stop to thwart Hakan Calhanoglu, but as Juventus dropped ever deeper, they were punished when substitute Esposito guided Federico Dimarco’s searching cross into the far corner with 76 minutes on the clock.
It looked like Inter would have to settle for a point when Locatelli whipped a wonderful finish into the bottom-left corner in the 83rd minute, but Zielinski had the final say as his 20-yard drive fizzed through Locatelli’s legs and beat Di Gregorio.
Sports
Szoboszlai’s Real Madrid Dream Sparks Concern At Liverpool
A cloud of uncertainty has settled over Liverpool after comments from Hungary head coach Marco Rossi reignited speculation about Dominik Szoboszlai and Real Madrid.
Rossi, who has worked closely with Szoboszlai since his teenage years, revealed that the midfielder’s lifelong ambition is to play for the Spanish giants.
“Because of the very close and direct relationship I’ve had with Dominik since he was a child, Real Madrid has always been his dream,” Rossi said.
For a Liverpool side building around Szoboszlai as a centerpiece of Arne Slot’s project, those words landed hard.
Within hours of Rossi’s remarks, Szoboszlai interacted on social media with two Real Madrid players, applauding posts from Vinicius Junior and Trent Alexander-Arnold following Madrid’s win over Real Sociedad.
His reaction to Vinicius’ post drew particular attention. The exchange with Alexander-Arnold, his former Liverpool teammate, was seen as less surprising.
Still, in the hyper-connected world of elite soccer, even a digital thumbs-up can carry weight. On Merseyside, fans and pundits quickly began dissecting the meaning behind the interactions.
Szoboszlai, Hungary’s captain, has become one of Liverpool’s most influential players. That status is precisely why Rossi’s comments triggered such an intense reaction in England.
The midfielder had just delivered on the field as well, scoring in Liverpool’s 3-0 FA Cup fourth-round victory over Brighton & Hove Albion at Anfield.
After the match, Mohamed Salah heaped praise on his teammate, calling Szoboszlai “the best player in the world.” Slot struck a slightly more measured tone but echoed the sentiment.
“I think there are many elite players in the world, but I definitely agree with Mo that he is one of them,” Slot said. “He is very important for us.”
Szoboszlai is under contract at Liverpool through 2028. However, the club is reportedly eager to open extension talks in the coming months to secure his long-term future.
The player himself addressed the situation recently with notable candor.
“There’s nothing yet, to be honest. Nothing from now on. It’s not in my hands. That’s how it works,” he said. “There’s no progress, but if the right offer comes, we’ll see.”
He was equally clear about his affection for Liverpool.
“We’ll see what happens. Hopefully everyone will be happy in the end. Of course I want to stay. I like the city, I like the club, I like playing with these guys. I love Anfield, I love the fans. Let’s see what the future brings. It’s not my fault. I’d love to stay. We’ll see.”
Inter’s dramatic victory boosted their lead over rivals AC Milan to eight points, ahead of the Rossoneri hosting Como on Wednesday. Juventus, meanwhile, could drop out of the top four as Roma visited Napoli last night.
The last four Serie A matches between Inter and Juventus have produced a total of 21 goals (an average of 5.25 per game), compared to just nine in the previous six (1.5 per game).
Cambiaso became the first player in Derby d’Italia history to score and put through his own net in the same match between these old rivals, but it was Zielinski’s fifth Serie A goal of the season that proved decisive.
Inter will argue they were deserved victors after amassing 21 shots and 1.88 expected goals (xG), while Luciano Spalletti’s visitors mustered 10 shots and 0.92 xG – though the Bianconeri actually attempted six of their shots while down a man in the second half.
Sports
Wolves Beat Man Utd Conquerors
Premier League strugglers Wolves overcame resolute Grimsby Town in challenging conditions at Blundell Park to reach the FA Cup fifth round at the expense of the side that eliminated Manchester United in the last round.
Santiago Bueno scored from Wolves’ only shot on target with an hour played, diverting Joao Gomes’ cross past goalkeeper Jackson Smith with his thigh to end the League Two club’s resistance.
Unrelenting rainfall caused heavy ground underfoot and one penalty area in particular- that of Grimsby’s Smith in the first half – was already a quagmire before kick-off.
Charles Vernam shot narrowly wide from the edge of the box with just 43 seconds on the clock as Grimsby sought to catch their top-flight visitors cold.
Wolves had to wait until the 17th minute for their first opportunity of note, forward Tolu Arokodare firing over with a first-time attempt.
The white paint of the pitch markings soon blended and blurred with the mud as the surface rapidly deteriorated, and both sides struggled to stitch together cohesive attacks as passes travelled unpredictably across the sodden ground.
-
Politics4 days agoAPC Releases Adjusted Timetable For Nationwide Congresses, Convention
-
Sports18 hours ago2026 WC: Nigeria, DR Congo Awaits FIFA Verdict Today
-
Sports4 days ago
DG NIS Wants NSC Board Constituted, Seeks Increased In Funding
-
Business4 days agoCustoms Seek Support To Curb Smuggling In Ogun
-
Featured4 days agoINEC Proposes N873.78bn For 2027 Elections, N171bn For 2026 Operations
-
Sports4 days agoSWAN Rivers Set-up Five Functional Committees
-
News4 days ago
Police Bust Kidnapping Syndicate In PH
-
Sports4 days ago
NSC Disburses N200m Training Grants To 26 Athletes
