Money is the name of the game when it comes to impressing film executives. Blockbuster hits have become a must-have for films as the box office struggles to lure audiences with film after film. To date, lots of features have managed to do that in 2019, but some did so better than the rest.
While some franchises hit low at the box office, not every movie missed its projected gross on the underside. Disney has been all but immune to the box office slump, and a few other movies have joined the list. The include.
When it comes to top picks, there is only one movie that can reign supreme as this year’s top box office pick. Much like Thanos, it was inevitable Avengers: Endgame would take home the big prize. Domestically, the film pulled in close to $860 million USD while its total global gross knocked Avatar out of its long-held top spot with $2.790 billion.
Solidifying Disney’s place as a box office powerhouse, The Lion King has become a force of nature with fans around the world. To date, the live-action adaptation has earned about $475 million USD domestically while its global box office blows up with an impressive $1.337 billion.
Captain Marvel ushered in a new era of female-led films at Marvel Studios without any hesitance. Debuting earlier in the spring, the action-packed movie wowed fans enough to pull in a domestic gross of $426 million USD before global audiences lifted Captain Marvel up to a $1.123 billion bounty.
Spider-Man: Far From Home
Hollywood knows how the blockbuster game works, and that means it is real familiar with Marvel Studios. Year after year, the company makes bank at theaters, and that was no different in 2019. The Sony Pictures-led release of Spider-Man: Far From Home swung into box offices with a global gross of $1.097 billion USD.
If you ever have to ask who Prince Ali is, then you can check out Disney’s latest take on Aladdin. The iconic film got a live-action makeover this year starring Will Smith, and it grossed $352 million USD domestically before overseas markets rocketed its global gross to $1.034 billion.
Toy Story 4
Toy Story 4 is the latest installment of one of Disney-Pixar’s iconic film franchises. Coming in sixth place at the box office so far, the animated feature is close to breaking a billion dollars with a total global gross of $990 million USD.
Liu Langdi Qui
China’s box office market is thriving in 2019, and local fans are flocking to see Chinese movies on the big screen. This year, the country released Liu Lang Di Qui which also goes by The Wandering Earth abroad. The sci-fi film is one of China’s most flashy in years, and its global gross racked up to $692 million USD without any release in the U.S.
How To Train Your DRAGON: The Hidden World
How To Train Your Dragon is a major franchise for the team at DreamWorks, and its final chapter showed up at the box office this year. How To Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World earned nearly $161 million at the domestic box office, but its international total brings its overall global gross to an impressive $519 million.
Ne Zha Zhi Mo Tong Xiang Shi
Proving once again how powerful China’s box office is, the ninth spot of this year’s top-performing films has its home overseas. The film Ne Zha Zhi Mo Tong Xiang Shi may be better known to international audiences at Nezha: The Birth of the Magic Boy. The film was never released in the U.S., but its worldwide box office total comes in at $512 million USD.
Nigeria Dominates At Sound City Awards Festival
The Sound City (MVP) award festival took place on January 11 at Eko Hotel and Suites in Lagos and Several Nigerian music stars won big at the event. The event which saw the amazing performances from top African music stars including Davido, Tiwa Savage, Tekno and Diamond Platrnz among others left the audience enthralled and excited for what the evening held.
Well as expected, several Nigerian stars shone bright at the event as they snagged awards in different categories. Burna Boy for one emerged winner in the three different categories, while Davido, Fireboy, Teni, Joe boy and Tiwa Savage won an award each in other categories. Rave of the moment, Rema snagged the new MVP award.
The winners are:
– Best new MVP – Rema (Nigeria)
– Best collaboration – ‘Gugulethu’ Prince Kaybee (South Africa)
– Best pop-Joe boy (Nigeria)
– Best Hip hop – Khaligrah Jones (Kenya)
– Best Duo – Dope Nation (Ghana)
– Africa producer of the year-Rexxie (Nigeria)
– Best female (MVP) Teni (Nigeria)
– Best male (MVP) – Burna Boy (Nigeria)
– African DJ of the year-DJ Sping II (Nigeria)
– Digital Artiste of the year – Davido (Nigeria)
– Listeners choice Award-‘Jealousy’ – Fireboy NML (Nigeria)
– Video of the year-Tiwa Savage by Meji Alabi (Nigeria)
– Song of the year -‘Killin Demi Burna boy (Nigeria)
– Meanwhile, the 13th edition of the Headies award which took place at Eko Hotel and Suites witnessed amazing performances from talented acts as well a Nigerian celebrities turning up in style.
Teni and Falz were some of the big winners of the night. While Teni won four awards, for Best Vocal performance (female), Best recording of the year, best pop single and Headies viewers choice awards, Falz bagged three awards for best rap singer, best rap album and album of the year awards.
Top 20 Most Viewed Nigerian Music Videos Of The Decade
The decade in view is between January 1, 2010 and December 31, 2019.
1. Fall by Davido (153 million views): The song is the biggest cross-over Nigerian pop song ever. It charted on Billboard’s digital airplay chart. The weirdness is how the song began charting in the US two years after its release. Cardi B also leaked an unreleased remix to the song.
2.Way Maker by Sinach (136 million views): This is the biggest Nigerian cross-over song ever. It is sung in churches across the world and performed by Kanye West’s Sunday Service Choir.
3.Pana by Tekno (116 million views): In 2016, this song was huge in the US – especially the major cities. Ebro Darden confirmed it in a chat with Davido on Ebro In The Morning circa 2018.
4.Johnny by Yemi Alade (111 million views): This was the biggest pop song by a female Nigerian artist in the past decade. It also catapulted Yemi Alade into superstardom.
5.Mad Over You by Runtown (98 million views): This was the song that defined an entire era of Nigerian music. This era was the heavy Ghana-influenced sound of 2016. It was also the biggest song of 2016.
6. If by Davido (97 million views): ‘Fall’ might have been the biggest cross-over song from Davido’s immense 2017 run, but ‘IF’ started that run.
7. Personally by P-Square (95 million views): This was one of the final mega hits of P Square’s run.
8. Do Like That by Korede Bello (89 million views): A surprise on the list, considering it’s not even close to being Bello’s biggest song.
9. Come Closer by Wizkid (86 million views): This was the second collaboration between Wizkid and Drake. The song was slightly lukewarm in Nigeria, but it was a pivotal part of ‘afrobeats to the world.’
10. On The Low by Burna Boy (85 million views): After Burna’s run with his sixth studio project, Outside, this was his follow-up single and boy, did it blow up?
11.Kontrol by Maleek Berry (76 million views): Despite Maleek Berry’s 2017 run, this is another surprise on the list.
12.Collabo by P-Square (75.5 million views): This was a power collaboration in Nigerian music. Don Jazzy ran a hook with longtime pals, P Square. They were also dramatic in the music video – three men obsessing over a beautiful woman.
13. Bank Alert by P-Square (75.3 million views): This was another one of the final hits P Square had.
14. FIA by Davido (71 million views): In Nigeria, this was arguably Davido’s biggest hit of 2017 – it was as if the song stayed true to its title. Upon release, it went nuclear.
15. Shekini by P-Square (70 million views): This is P Square’s third entrance on the list.
16. Duro by Tekno (68.7 million views): This was the second song on Tekno’s immense 2016 run.
17.I Know Who I Am by Sinach (68.5 million views): This was the Nigerian gospel song of 2015 – everywhere, people make noise.
18. Soco by Wizkid (62 million views): After a fairly lukewarm 2017, Wizkid returned with a bang of bangs. ‘Soco’ was arguably Nigeria’s song of the year for 2018.
19. Aye by Davido (58 million views): This is Davido’s fourth entry on the list.
20.Only You Jesus by Ada (56 million views): The third gospel song on this list.
Davido Goes To Church With Crew
Nigerian music super star, David Adeleke popularly known by his stage name ‘Davido’ recently left many social media visors impressed after he attended church with his cousin, B – Red and his crew.
For many super stars, time is often a luxury with their busy schedule and many confess to not having enough free time to even spend sometimes with their God in their places of worship.
However, Davido proved one can never be too busy for God when he attended church with his boys. He took to his instastory to share videos from his time spent praising and worshipping God in a church.
It was only a few months ago when he proved himself a man who takes his spiritual life seriously as he left social media buzzing with excitement with a video from the naming ceremony of his son on which he was praying for his new born son and fiancée Chioma.
In the video, the ‘Risky’ crooner can be heard thanking God for their lives and for keeping himself and Chioma together as they have known each other since he was 18 years.
He prayed that his son will grow to become a better man and achieve move than he has done.
Meanwhile, the singer has shared some of the goals he intends to achieve in 2020. According to him, he will be adding to his collection of luxury properties, buy new cars, houses and private jets.
The music star also shared a video on his instagram page in which he was spotted with wealthy business mogul, Soso Soberekon who handed him some foreign currencies which the singer sprayed around the living room.
Politics5 days ago
Imo: INEC Releases Schedule For Supplementary Elections
Featured4 days ago
Judgement On Imo Guber Tussle: S’Court’s Sack Of Ihedioha, Sad Commentary, PDP Declares …Mixed Feelings Greet Verdict Declaring Uzodinma Winner …As Apex Court Decides Tambuwal’s Fate, Monday
Sports5 days ago
Enyimba FC’s Chairman Threatens To Quit
Politics5 days ago
Abia Guber: Otti Accepts S’Court Verdict Poll …Insists Ikpeazu, PDP Rigged
Sports4 days ago
Dangote Promises To Buy Arsenal
Business4 days ago
Customs Shortlists 162,399 Candidates For Aptitude Test
Sports4 days ago
‘Why Nigerian Clubs Are Struggling In Africa’
Sports5 days ago
NPFL: Rivers United, Lobi Battle For Supremacy, Today