Connect with us

Business

LUTH Nurses Begin Indefinite Strike

Published

on

Nurses and Midwives at
the Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LUTH), Idi-Araba, had on Friday, began an indefinite strike to press home their demands.
The nurses and midwives under the aegis of the National Association of Nigerian Nurses and Midwives (NANNM) are protesting what they called stagnation, non-payment of salary and inadequate facilities.
The State Chairman of NANNM, Mr Olurotimi Awojide, told our correspondent  in Lagos that the association had given the management a seven-day ultimatum which expired on June 9.
Other demands are outstanding 2015 promotion results of 71 nurses, non-payment of nurses employed in 2015, lack of consumables, inadequate manpower and irregular water and power supply.
“We have been having series of problems with LUTH management for a while now which we have made effort to resolve but all to no avail.
“We have written several letters to them on pressing issues, they are not responding and that is why we are taking this action.
“For quite some time now, nurses work at night without light, leaving them with no choice of using torchlight and phones to attend to patients.
“This is a teaching hospital and infection control should be our priority and when there are no consumables, water, people improvise to attend to patients, ’’he said.
The Chairman of NANNM, LUTH chapter, Mrs Oluyemisi Adelaja, said inadequate equipment had affected the nurses’ care for patients in the hospital.
Adelaja said the strike was meant to call on the management and the Federal Ministry of Health to apply the same measures in LUTH as being done in other 52 federal health institutions.
“We want them to do the needful by giving our members their promotion as and when due and applying the same measures being applied to other health institutions to us.
“Because we are under the same Federal Ministry of Health and the same equity and justice should be extended to LUTH nurses.’’
Contacted, the Public Relations Officer of LUTH, Mr Kelechi Otuneme, told our correspondent that the management had not reacted yet on the development.
The Tide revealed  that few nurses were seen attending to some patients, while others joined the protest.
Meanwhile, the University of Uyo Teaching Hospital Branch of the Association of Resident Doctors has embarked on an indefinite strike over “incomplete salaries’’.
The President of the association, Dr Christian Adeneye, made the announcement in an interview with journalists  in Uyo on Friday.
Adeneye explained that resident doctors in the hospital had been receiving incomplete salaries since 2014, saying that all efforts to make government see reason on the mater had failed.
“We are embarking on an indefinite strike from today. The problem is about the incomplete salaries that we have been receiving for two years now.
“We have been negotiating with the Federal Government but there is insincerity on the part of government.
“We have been mandated nationally. All centres that are yet to comply with the implementation of the payment of our full salaries should embark on an indefinite strike.”
He said that the strike had not been postponed as was speculated by a section of the media.
The unionist confirmed, however, that there was a meeting with the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Mr Yakubu Dogara, where it was agreed that medical centres that were already enjoying full salaries should not join the strike.

Continue Reading

Business

FG To Eradicate Multiple Taxation In Mining Sector – Adegbite

Published

on

The Minister of Mines and Steel Development, Mr Olamilekan Adegbite, says the Federal Government is setting in place various measures to eradicate multiple taxation for miners.
At the flagship Forum last Tuesday in Abuja, Adegbite said the ministry was engaging with the three tiers of government to resolve this issue.
He said that this informed the recent webinars and advocacy engagements by the ministry with all stakeholders in the country involved in the mining industry.
He said that though the constitution vested control of mineral resources in Nigeria in the Federal Government, the fund goes into the Federation Account, of which everybody participates.
He added that all the 774 local governments got money from that account but if they cut corners by disturbing the miners with unnecessary local taxes they get discouraged.
“So, it is double jeopardy when you go and do all these illegal taxes, or you go and disturb the miners, when you will benefit from what is derived in your place, you get a 13 per cent derivation.
“You also get your share of the federal accounts as of course laid down statutorily. So, it is a continuous process, we educate everybody and I think we are getting good results.”
The minister said there was a Mineral Resource Committee (MIRENCO) in every state and the chairman was nominated by the governor of that state, so that he would be in the know about everything going on about mining in that state.
He said that the chairman of that committee was to oversee all the activities between the miners, the community, the state government and the Federal Government.
“So, on that committee, the Federal Government has representatives, the local government has representatives, the governor chooses the chairman and then Ministry of Environment and other stakeholders bring in representatives as well.
“So, through this committee, everybody can participate, and make sure that we work in harmony, bake a bigger pie so everybody can share.
“So, it is continuous advocacy, we let them know what we are doing and of course they can also participate, where they do not understand or where the governor has any problem he can always ask the chairman.”
On the issue of rock blasting, he said cities had expanded to meet quarries.
According to him, quarrying is a necessity, because stones are needed to make concrete when building roads and houses.

Continue Reading

Business

Nigeria Lost N53.26bn To Gas Flaring In Two Months – NNPC

Published

on

Nigeria lost an estimated N53.26billion in the first two months of this year as international oil companies and local players flared a total of 33.04 billion standard cubic feet of natural gas.
The oil companies wasted 17.53 billion scf of gas in February, compared to 15.51 billion scf in January, according to data obtained from the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation.
With the price of natural gas put at $3.93 per 1,000scf as of Wednesday, the 33.04 billion scf flared translates to an estimated loss of $129.85million or N53.26billion (using the official exchange rate of N410.13/dollar).
The NNPC, in its latest monthly report, said out of the 206.05 billion scf produced in February, a total of 133.06 billion scf was commercialised, consisting of 40.15 billion scf and 92.91 billion scf for the domestic and export market respectively.
It said this implied that 64.48 per cent of the average daily gas produced was commercialised while the balance of 35.52 per cent was re-injected, used as upstream fuel gas or flared.
Gas flare rate was 7.67 per cent in February (i.e. 565.52 million standard cubic feet per day), compared to 7.73 per cent in January (i.e. 554.01 million scfd).
In January, a total of 223.55 billion scf of natural gas was produced, translating to an average daily production of 7,220.22 million scfd.
Out of the total gas output in January, a total of 149.24 billion scf was commercialised, consisting of 44.29 billion scf and 104.95 billion scf for the domestic and export markets respectively.
Firms producing less than 10,000 barrels of oil per day will pay a gas flare penalty of $0.5 per 1,000 scf.
The penalties paid by oil and gas companies for flaring gas in the country will be invested to build midstream gas infrastructure in host communities, according to a new provision introduced into the Petroleum Industry Bill by the National Assembly.
“Moneys received from gas flaring penalties by the commission (Nigerian Upstream Regulatory Commission) pursuant to this subsection, shall be transferred to the Midstream Gas Infrastructure Fund for investment in midstream gas infrastructure within the host communities of the settlor on which the penalties are levied,” the Senate and House of Representatives said in subsection (4) of section 104 of the bill.

Continue Reading

Business

Nigeria To Boost Trade Volume Through ECOWAS TPOs

Published

on

Nigeria is poised to boost its non-oil exports following the official launch of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) Trade Promotion Organisations (PTOs).
With Executive Director /CEO of the Nigerian Export Promotion Council (NEPC) Segun Awolowo, as the inaugural president of the ECOWAS TPOs, the NEPC is repositioning the nation’s export through the implementation of its N50 billion Export Expansion Facility Programme (EEFP), a part of the Economic Sustainability Plan whose development and implementation is being led by the Vice President.
EEFP is expected to significantly raise the volume of non-oil exports in Nigeria, and it’s a spin-off of the Zero Oil Plan developed by Awolowo and approved by the President.
Besides providing financial support for the average Nigerian exporter, EEFP is also going to see the establishment of top-notch warehouses close to airports where Nigerian goods meant for export would be packaged to globally competitive standards ahead of their exportation.
The EEFP, in line with the FG’sEconomic Sustainability Plan (ESP), is focused on cushioning the effects of the Covid-19 pandemic on non-oil export businesses,thereby safeguarding jobs and creating new ones.
In March, Minister of Industry,Tradeand Investment (MITI), Niyi Adebayo, officially flagged off the EEFP and launched the first online Grant Management Portal (GMP) for non-oil exports.
While the EEFP is being implemented by the NEPC, the Federal Ministry of Industry, Trade and Investment is the supervisory body over the agency and its operations.
It was learnt although the programme anticipated 500 beneficiaries, since the launch, it has received over 3,500 applications for the grant, out of which over 2,000 were verified after meeting the eligibility criteria.
Federal Government officials said further details and plans on disbursement to final successful beneficiaries are being awaited.

Continue Reading

Trending