Connect with us

Rivers

PH High Court Fixes July 16, To Rule On N5.74bn Suit Claim By Indigenous Contractor, Macobarb Against NLNG

Published

on

A Port Harcourt High Court Rivers State headed by Justice Chinwendu Nwogu is going to decide and rule on July 16, 2025, in suit number PHC/2013/CS/2022.

 

The fixing of date of judgment came on June 24, 2025, after counsels for both parties adopted and adumbrated their final written addresses, each seeking to convince the judge to rule in his client’s favour.

 

The trial judge will unravel wether or not did the NLNG breach a contract it awarded to an indigenous contractor, Macobarb International Limited, years ago and wether the breach lead to costs as high as N5.74Bn ?

 

Macobarb had sued NLNG claiming that it breached the terms of contract and that this breach led to various costs amounting to N5.74bn, saying the contract was deemed to still be running and that cost is rising.

 

Adopting their address, the lead counsel to Macobarb, Benefit Vilokpo, said “Claimants have shown by their pleadings and documentary evidence that NLNG breached its terms of contract, and that Macobarb has demonstrated that the purported letter of termination dated 27th November, 2015, is unlawful, null, and void.”

 

Counsel also said contract agreement made several provisions for ‘Standby Payments’ and that Claimants have also shown that they are entitled to Standby Payments.

 

The claimants lead counsel submitted in his adopted final address what he considered issues for determination, thus: “Whether the Claimants have proved their case as required by law to be entitled to the reliefs sought in this case (a. Whether the purported termination letter dated 27th November 2015 was valid in view of the provisions of the contract Agreement).”

 

The Claimants built their claim on the ground that the person that terminated the contract (Emeka Ohiri) was not known to the contract. Rather, it is the Contract Holder, Dweller Francis, that was known to the contract and that the said Francis never served Macobarb any termination letter.

 

The claimant counsel also said and pointed to the sections in their final address that the contract provided for standdown time.

 

Another prong on which the claimant wanted the judge to consider an opinion is whether the Defendant (NLNG) fulfilled the terms and conditions of the Close-out Meeting.

 

The Claimants final address noted that to demonstrate that the Contract is still in existence, the Defendant, NLNG, called for a meeting on the February 19, 2016 termed “Project close-out meeting”. The contract close-out meeting with signatures of all the attendees (Exhibit YJ 5) showed where it was stated that to close out the contract, NLNG will have to establish what the costs for the materials delivered to NLNG were, as well as the cost for demobilising and to prepare the payment Certificates for all items of the contract executed by the contractor”.

 

Macobarb asked the court to view it that the Contract is yet to be closed out; to also note that the Defendant (NLNG) admitted receipt of materials including 20ft container from the Claimants.

 

NLNG key positions:

The NLNG lead counsel, Prof Bayo Aderelegbe, on the other hand, wants the Court to determine whether the second claimant was a party to the contract and can sue in respect of the contract. Macobarb countered this in their address that this contention by the NLNF had earlier been dismissed by the same court and judge when it was raised during preliminary objection and that in fact, the judge had awarded a fine of N200,000 against the NLNG.

 

The NLNG counsel also wants the Court to determine whether the Defendant (NLNG) breached the contract as alleged by the Claimants; whether the Defendant wrongfully terminated the Contract; and whether the Claimants were entitled to the N5.74Bn.

 

During adoption and adumbration of the final addresses on June 24, 2025, the defence lead counsel asked the court to dismiss the claim by Macobarb on the ground that the termination of contract was legitimate and was done by the rightful party. Adarelegbe said the contract provided lumpsum amount and that the claim by Macobarb was outside the amount so provided and that it did not have any basis.

 

The Claimant’s counsel however countered in his address to the court saying that the Defendant did not challenge the amount submitted by the Claimants’ principal witness, the forensic accountant, and quoted Supreme Court’s position on such matter.

 

The Claimants’ counsel also said the Defendant did not plead any alternative figure in their statement of defence as being a more realistic or reasonable figure.

 

Another crucial matter both parties addressed is the issue of ‘Performance Bond’ mentioned in the contract. The NLNG submitted that the Claimant (contractor) failed to submit it within 14 days and that this was the basis for termination of the contract.

 

The Claimants (Macobarb) counsel countered that the contract did not state who was to submit the Performance Bond between the contractor and the contract owner. Macobarb thus asked the court to note that both parties failed on that and thus ‘deviated’, and that by law, deviation would be regarded as mutual and thus not punishable.

 

Macobarb further asked the court to note that it was 16 months after commencement of contract that the NLNG wrote to demand for it as well as submitted the sample of the performance bond. The Claimant therefore argued that the Performance Bond did not stop the contract from performing for up to 18 months.

 

The Claimant’s counsel particularly drew the attention of the court to a section of the defendant’s address and said by NLNG’s admission that by November 27, 2025, that the contract was ‘coming to an end’ meant that they admitted that the contract was yet to come to an end by that time. She said this amounted to inconsistency which she said is not admissible in law. She attempted to quote authorities on that.

 

The judge is thus to determine if the Performance Bond was so crucial in the contract to warrant termination of the job, and if the right person known to the contract carried out the termination.

 

Macobarb particularly drew the attention of the court to the many steps they took up to the Nigerian Senate seeking peaceful resolution, but to no avail, probably to show that the company (Macobarb) was not just being a troublesome contractor.

 

It seems to be these decisions that would lead to whether NLNG owed Macobarb any amount at all and if such debt is up to N5.74bn.

 

A highpoint in the addresses by both counsels was when the judge, Chinwendu Nwogu, reminded Macobarb’s counsel (Vilokpo) that any new authorities quoted during adumbration that were not contained in their original address were not going to be recorded or regarded.

 

The outcome of the controversial case seems very sensitive because of its criticality in how multinational companies and their indigenous contractors handled disputes, now and in the future.

Continue Reading

Rivers

2026 Boy Child Day: Association Seeks Intentional Mentoring 

Published

on

As the world marked the 2026 International Day of the Boy Child last Saturday, the Rivers Secondary Schools Old Boys and Girls 1983 Set Association has called for deliberate investment in raising boys who will become responsible heads of homes.
In a press release signed and issued by the Secretary-General of the Association, Dr. Ibinabo Ogolo, to commemorate the day, the Association said the future stability of Nigerian families depends on how intentionally boys are raised and guided.
Speaking on behalf of the Set, President of the Association, Barrister Tubokomba Mcdonald Harry, she said the theme of this year’s global celebration, “Boys to Men: Adopting Good Habits and Attitudes”, must move beyond slogans to daily practice in homes, schools, and communities.
“For years, advocacy has rightly centered on the girl child. That work must continue. But we cannot ignore the other side”, Barrister Harry stated.
“A boy who grows up without guidance, emotional literacy, and responsibility often becomes a man who struggles to lead, provide, and protect. If we want stable homes in 2040, we must invest in boys now”, he said.
He emphasized that being “head of the home”  is about stewardship, not power: “The man who leads a home well is emotionally responsible, financially disciplined, morally upright, and a true partner to his spouse. These qualities are learned from childhood, through what boys see, hear, and practice.”
The Association noted that many boys currently learn manhood by default from peers, social media, and entertainment that equate masculinity with aggression and silence about pain.
To change this, the 1983 Set urged fathers and mentors to be present and active, schools to integrate life skills such as conflict resolution and financial literacy, and communities and faith groups to establish mentorship programmes where older men guide younger ones.
The press release also linked the issue to Africa’s wider goals, noting that the 2026 Day of the African Child focuses on water, sanitation, and hygiene.
“A boy trained to solve real problems becomes a man who ensures dignity for his family and community”, Harry said.
The Association concluded with a call to mothers, fathers, and boys themselves to take ownership of the task of raising responsible future leaders.
International Day of the Boy Child is observed globally on May 16. It is a day that focuses on the well-being, mental health and positive development of boys.
Continue Reading

Rivers

Ogoni Landlords Seek Inclusion In Planned Oil Resumption Process 

Published

on

Flemotongha Miebi/Fortune Wokeh/Akpos David/Esuuk Oyet/Edughom Suotor
Landlords in Ogoni, under the aegis of Gokana,Tai, Eleme, and Khana United Landlords Association  (GOTEKA) have called for inclusion in the ongoing negotiation over the planned resumption of oil production in Ogoniland.
The landlords,who made the call during its formal inauguration recently in Port Harcourt, also called for proper compensation, clear legal agreements, and inclusive dialogues in the entire process
Chairman of the Association, Professor George Ema, said any resumption of oil exploration in ogoniland without proper consultation with host communities and land owners will be resisted.
George said, while the association expressed support for the planned return of oil activities in ogoniland under the administration of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu,  key historical issues must be addressed to avoid a repeat of earlier conflicts that led to the suspension of oil operations in the area.
According to GOTEKA, past disagreements between oil companies, political leaders, and host communities caused crises, court cases, and long-term disruption of oil production in Ogoni land, adding that these problems were responsible for the high level of poverty warranted by economic stagnation, social unrest, pipeline vandalism, and many legal battles in the area.
The landlords also referenced the struggles led by late environmental activist, Ken Saro-Wiwa, and the Movement for the Survival of Ogoni People (MOSOP), which opposed Shell’s activities in Ogoni land, resulting in years of unrest and court cases.
They stressed that the renewed plan for oil exploration must be guided by proper Memoranda of Understanding (MOU), fair compensation, and the direct involvement of landlords in negotiations to prevent cheating and conflict.
The group also raised concern over what they described as a repeated “divide and rule” approach in handling oil compensation in Ogoni. They said there is a lack of proper MOUs between oil companies and landlords, while compensation often goes to political leaders and traditional rulers instead of the real landowners.
GOTEKA added that land in Ogoni is owned by individuals and families, not the entire community.
According to the group, “under traditional land rules, owners have full rights over their land and can decide how it is used, including selling or leasing it. So, there must be proper agreement spelt out in the MOU, which must be signed by all the parties involved to avoid legal battles.
The group urged government, oil companies, and political leaders to respect traditional land ownership and adopt honest dialogue and peaceful negotiation in resolving issues.
Continue Reading

Rivers

Police Warn Rivers Students Against Cultism, Drug Abuse

Published

on

The Divisional Crime Officer (DCO) of Rumuodomaya Police Station, CSP Dindara Dadamu, has warned students in Rivers State against involvement in cultism and other criminal activities, stressing that such acts could lead to imprisonment and destruction of their future.
He gave the warning recently during an anti-cultism and drug abuse sensitisation programme organised by the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC) at Den-Bec Group of Schools in Port Harcourt.
Dadamu stated that the law does not exempt minors from punishment, noting that children from the age of 12 could still be prosecuted for criminal offences.
According to him, many young people are lured into cultism through peer pressure and bad company. He urged the students to be mindful of the friends they associate with.
The DCO stressed that ignorance of the law would not protect anyone from facing the consequences of unlawful conduct.
Also speaking, a representative of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA), Mr. Ejiofor Ifeanyi, described cultism and drug abuse as destructive habits capable of ruining academic ambitions and promising careers.
He advised the students to avoid negative influences and remain focused on their education and personal development.
A mental health expert, Mr. Victor Akeni, noted that cultism and illicit drug use contribute significantly to emotional instability, fear and poor academic performance among youths.
He explained that cult members often live under constant fear of attacks and reprisals, making it difficult for them to concentrate on their studies or live peacefully.
The sensitisation programme brought together security agencies, mental health professionals, teachers and students as part of efforts to discourage social vices among young people.
The Managing Director of NDDC, Dr. Samuel Ogbuku, who spoke through a representative, Mrs. Anna West, encouraged the students to take advantage of opportunities provided through education and technology rather than engaging in unlawful activities.
Ogbuku also warned that cultism and drug abuse could result in imprisonment, violence and untimely death, and urged the students to embrace discipline, hard work and positive values.
By: King Onunwor

Continue Reading

Trending