Connect with us

News

NYSC Members Happy, Task FG On Security

Published

on

Some National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) members in Lagos yesterday expressed joy over the increase in the monthly allowance paid those serving in the scheme.

In separate interviews with newsmen, the corps members, however, pleaded with the Federal Government to put them under an insurance policy.

Apart from corps members frequently dying in road accidents or natural causes away from home, 10 of them were murdered in the North during the post election violence in April.

They described the increment as a good development, especially now that the least paid worker in the country is expected to take home a minimum of N18,000 a month.

Our correspondent reports that the monthly remuneration of the Corp members was increased from N9,700 to N19,800 by the Federal Government.

Most of the corps members were, however, of the view that more was still needed to be done in the area of their security and welfare.

Mr Tafida Mundi, 23, said that most corps members were overwhelmed by the increment, but would want government to put them under an insurance policy and find other ways of making the one-year compulsory national service more interesting.

“Everybody is happy over the new allowance— both members in orientation camp and serving members. We have been dancing since the announcement yesterday.

“We want government to introduce real insurance policy for members; we need a lasting solution to the issue of security among corps members,’’ he said.

He added: “Last night, we got news that a corps member was hit by a stray bullet somewhere in Ewekoro, Ogun state during an armed robbery attack and he died on the spot.

“We want a lasting solution; we don’t want to go to NYSC service and come back dead, we want to be alive for our parents,“ he said.

Mundi noted that some members were now afraid to wear the NYSC uniform, which used to be a thing of pride in the past.

Miss Omolara Jokodola, 24 , said that corps members were serving their fatherland and should be given more encouragement.

She pointed out that many of them were now afraid due to the crisis which claimed the lives of 10 members in April.

“We thanked Mr President for increasing our monthly allowance but we want him to insure our lives.

“Am happy for the new pay, it is a change from the usual way of doing things. I thought government will drag their feet with the corps members the way they are dragging the minimum wage with workers.

“But it is not enough, Nigeria is not a fair country, I don’t see why corps members should be receiving the same allowance like the cleaners and gardeners,’’ she said.

Jokodola said that for the fact that corps members were serving the government and any risk they were exposed to during the service year should be the responsibilities of the government and not theirs.

Miss Goldie Osuaewu, 24 , said that it was a good thing that their allowance had been increased because corps members were facing a lot of risks.

“The increment is okay but, not enough compared to the level of insecurity around us. We want government, the NYSC and the states we are serving to assure us that we are save for our parents.

“A lot of corps members died during the last post-election crisis in the country. So, I think government should do more for us, he said.

Meanwhile, Youth corps members are now to receive 19,800.00 as allowance with effect from March 2011, the Director-General of the  National Youth Service Corps (NYSC), Brig-Gen. Maharazu Tsiga, has announced

Tsiga made this known in Abuja on Monday during a visit by a team from Barry University, Miami, Florida and Africans in Diaspora Partnership.

Our correspondent  recalls that the NYSC members were receiving 9,775.00 before now, while President Goodluck Jonathan had in his 2010 campaign tour, promised the increase.

According to Tsiga, the allowance of the NYSC members will be paid in arrears, to include the 2010 Batch ‘B’ members, who finished their service year on July 7.

Tsiga expressed his happiness with President Goodluck Jonathan, for considering the plight of the corps members, stating that the scheme would work hard to realise its objective.

He also  expressed satisfaction with the visit of the team, stating that it was timely, as seven youth corps members were successful in the Entrepreneurs competition organised by the Africans in Diaspora Partnership.

“I can assure you that the resources expended in the training and empowerment of the seven entrepreneurs have not been wasted since all of them are doing very well.

“Indeed, we see in them great potentials for wealth and job creation in the near future, that is why we are looking forward to greater and expanded opportunities for more corps members as talents abound in the scheme,’’ Tsiga said.

He said that the contribution of NYSC members underscored national relevance of the scheme, adding that the scheme would ensure that the gains were not lost to the threat of post-service unemployment.

According to Tsiga, the agencies which partnered with the scheme on skills acquisition are the Central Bank of Nigeria, National Directorate of Employment and the MDGs Office.

Earlier, Mr Adewale Alonge, leader of the delegation, had praised the scheme for its foresight and readiness to ensure that NYSC members were well equipped to stand on their feet, without looking for government employment after the scheme.

“Nigeria is a great country but we always hear the bad news and there are people in this country that are doing great things and that is why we still believe in the country.

“We believe with every single cell in our body in the future of this great country, and the whole world and Africans in Diaspora look up to Nigeria as a leader and we cannot afford to fail them,’’ Alonge said.

Continue Reading

News

Victory Over Insurgency Certain, Tinubu Assures

Published

on

President Bola Tinubu has expressed confidence that the country would win the fight against insecurity.

The President gave the assurance at the Argungu International Fishing Festival in Argungu town, Kebbi State, on Saturday.

He noted that the relative peace currently being enjoyed in Kebbi and neighbouring states was the result of sustained investments in security intelligence, coordination among security agencies, and community engagement.

Tinubu assured farmers and fishermen of sustained federal support to guarantee food security and safety across the country.

“The peace we are witnessing today is not accidental. It is the outcome of deliberate and sustained efforts. I assure you that the fight against banditry, insurgency, and insecurity will be won.

“Our farmers, fishermen, traders, and families will go about their lawful activities without fear,” he assured.

The President commended the organisers of the festival for sustaining the cultural event for decades, noting that it had endured for 83 years despite social and security challenges.

Describing the Argungu festival as a powerful symbol of unity, resilience, and peaceful coexistence, Tinubu stated that it reflects the richness of the country’s culture and the opportunities to harness its natural and human resources for national growth.

He said, “Today, this festival stands as a powerful symbol of unity, resilience, and peaceful coexistence among our people.

“It reflects the richness of our culture, the strength of our traditions, and the opportunities inherent in harnessing our natural and human resources for national development.”

The President was received by a large crowd of residents, traditional rulers, fishermen, tourists, and government officials from across the country.

The President reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to youth and women empowerment, irrigation development, rural electrification, and agricultural productivity.

Earlier, the Kebbi State Governor, Nasir Idris, said his administration was determined to elevate the Argungu Fishing Festival to full international standards while pursuing aggressive development across critical sectors of the state.

Continue Reading

News

US Embassy, Lagos Consulate Close Today For President’s Day

Published

on

The United States Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed today, in observance of Presidents’ Day.

The mission made this known in a notice shared on its official X page, yesterday.

“The U.S. Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed on Monday, February 16, 2026, in observance of Presidents’ Day,” the post read.

According to the embassy, Presidents’ Day was originally established to honour the birthday of the former US President, George Washington, but has evolved into a day to celebrate all U.S. presidents and their leadership in shaping the country’s history.

The embassy noted that the holiday also recognises the influence of U.S. presidents on global affairs.

In a related message, the mission highlighted that Washington created the first “Badge of Military Merit,” which later became the Purple Heart. The medal still bears Washington’s image today.

Presidents’ Day is observed on the third Monday of February annually in the United States as a federal holiday.

Continue Reading

News

Guterres Backs Nigeria’s Bid For UN Security Council Seat …Hails Tinubu’s Reforms, Regional Security Role

Published

on

United Nations Secretary-General, António Guterres, has charged Nigeria with spearheading Africa’s quest for a restructured global order, describing the country as uniquely positioned to lead the continent toward superpower status.

Guterres, who backed Nigeria’s bid for the world body’s security council seat, also praised the economic reforms of the President Bola Tinubu-led administration as well as Nigeria’s leadership in stabilising the Sahel and ECOWAS regions, despite facing its own security challenges.

The UN scribe made the remarks last Friday night during a high-level bilateral meeting with Vice President Kashim Shettima on the sidelines of the 39th African Union (AU) Summit in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.

Speaking during the meeting, Guterres said Nigeria’s large population, sustained democratic governance, vast natural and human resources, and longstanding commitment to multilateralism placed it in a unique position to lead Africa in the evolving global order.

“Given Nigeria’s demographic strength, democratic continuity and deep resource base, the country stands a real chance of leading Africa to becoming the next superpower in the evolving global architecture,” he said.

The UN Secretary-General and the vice president discussed key developments in Nigeria and the country’s expanding leadership role in promoting regional stability across West Africa and the Sahel.

Guterres commended the remarkable and outstanding reforms of the administration of President Tinubu, noting that Nigeria’s bold economic restructuring and security commitments have strengthened its continental standing.

The meeting focused on strengthening Nigeria–UN collaboration to advance global economic growth, peace and security, sustainable development, and a coordinated humanitarian response across Africa.

In his remarks, Shettima thanked the UN Secretary-General for his leadership in advancing global peace, noting that Africa has benefited immensely from his tenure, even as the United Nations undergoes internal restructuring.

“We remain committed to multilateralism and to deepening our partnerships with the United Nations and other global institutions,” the vice president said.

Shettima also reiterated Nigeria’s longstanding call for comprehensive reform of the United Nations system to reflect evolving global realities.

He emphasised that Africa must have stronger representation in global decision-making structures and declared that Nigeria deserves a permanent seat on the United Nations Security Council.

Both leaders pledged to deepen cooperation, with Guterres reaffirming the UN’s support for Nigeria’s reform agenda and its growing leadership role in advancing peace, security, and development across Africa.

 

Continue Reading

Trending