Basketball players in the country have told the Minister of Youth and Sports Development, Sunday Dare, to urgently resolve the leadership crisis rocking the Nigeria Basketball Federation (NBBF).
Tidesports source gathered that the players, who stormed the office of the Sports Minister during the week in Abuja to register their displeasure, frowned at the manner Dare was handling the leadership impasse rocking the federation.
Speaking with journalists, former NBA players and board members under the Engr Musa Kida-led board, Ejike Ugboaja, urged the Sports Minister to address the NBBF leadership crises without sentiment.
“The two NBBF elections were concluded two weeks ago, and we do not know the stand of the minister. I served under the Musa Kida’s board, and I have played the game for more than twelve years. We have never experienced this type of problem before. Except the minister has been compromised, I think by today, we ought to have our president and not the ministry running the show.
“We want the minister to come out and tell us what is going on. We want him to address us as the father of all sports in the country. He should tell us his position. Without the players, there is no basketball,” Ugboaja said.
Also speaking, the Players Representative on the board of the Igoche Mark-led NBBF, Stanely Gumut, said that basketball players, home and abroad, had thrown their weight behind Mr Igoche Mark, insisting that the players have vowed not to repeat the mistake made four years ago.
“We do not want to repeat the mistake we made four years ago. Such wasted time is what we do not want to repeat again. All our fight is about players’ welfare. The truth of the matter is that we (the players) have thrown our weight behind Mr. Igoche Mark. Unfortunately, the ministry is not saying anything about it.
We, the players, are the pioneers of this game, and we do not want to play basketball for free anymore. The minister is supposed to come out and talk to us as a father. But the man has been shying away from talking to us, and his action is becoming worrisome to us,” Gumut stated.
Musa Kida stated that he has nothing to say yet on the NBBF Presidency and other issues emanating from any factional group.
“I am still waiting for the Sports Minister, Sunday Dare, to make his pronouncement on the NBBF election before I can take any step.”
Sports Development Subject to Economic Performance – Consultant
A golf consultant, Sam Emetelu, has said that golf like any other sport cannot thrive when a nation’s economy is unstable.
Emetelu said this in an interview with newsmen on Wednesday in Lagos.
According to him, the state of a country’s economy plays a vital role in the development of other sectors.
In view of this, he said, there had been little activities for golfers in both the amateur and professional categories.
“Sports in recent time has been struggling, it’s not just peculiar to golf. So, the backlash is that activities have been slow, because it is an election year.
“When the economy thrives, other sectors thrive too; it’s not rocket science.
“The only thing that has been sustaining golf is committed individuals who are lovers of the game who invest their money in because of their love for the sport,” he said.
He, however, predicted that the last quarter of the year would take a more positive turn as companies and individuals would have started regaining momentum.
“With the ember months, most corporate organisations are taking stock and probably thinking of how to structure their Corporate Social Responsibility, maybe then they’d think of sponsoring golf tournaments.
MTN To Co-Sponsor Nigerian Football League
MTN Nigeria has entered into a partnership with the Nigeria Premier Football League (NPFL), GTI Investment Ltd. and Propel Sports Africa to sponsor the Nigerian league.
Media Officer of GTI Investment Ltd., Andrew Ekejiuba, said this in a statement this week in Lagos.
He said following the recent announcement of the joint venture between the NPFL, GTI and Propel Sports Africa to stream NPFL games live, Propel Sports was delighted to announce that it had entered into a deal with MTN Nigeria for the exclusive broadcast of the league.
He said the sponsorship would cover eight live games each weekend, which would translate to over 300 games per season.
Chairman of Propel Sports Africa, Basil Kabbani stated: “The engagement with MTN has been amazing, from the Digital VAS, to the Marketing and Commercial team, their approach has been consistently professional.
“The enthusiasm for the NPFL content has been infectious. From the very start of our negotiations, we knew MTN was the right partner to give our great content, the platform it deserves.”
The deal, concluded by Propel Sports Africa president, Edward Simons, and MTN Chief Operating Officer, Hassan Jabar, would include in-and-post-game highlights delivered in real time to MTN subscribers through the NPFL Live OTT platform.
Osimhen Can Win Ballon d’Or – Peseiro
Super Eagles coach, Jose Peseiro believes Napoli forward Victor Osimhen can win the Ballon d’Or in the future.
Osimhen is among the 30 players nominated for the 2023 Men’s Ballon d’Or as well as one of the 12 nominees for the 2023 FIFA The Best Men’s Player Award.
He is the first Nigerian male footballer in 24 years to get nominated for the prestigious Ballon d’Or.
Peseiro believes the 24-year-old has the potential to win the Ballon d’Or award in future even if it seems unlikely for him to achieve the feat in 2023 as he is set to compete with a star-studded cast of nominees.
Pesiero is optimistic that Osimhen can claim the award in future as he does not lack any potential to do it.
“He (Osimhen) can surely win the Ballon d’Or in the future. He’s not lacking anything to do it,” Peseiro said in an interview with Tidesports source.
“He has different characteristics than other players that are at the top at this moment, but he scores a lot as well.”
Osimhen had a stellar 2022–23 season with Napoli, leading the club to their first Serie A title in 33 years, and also won the golden boot.
The Napoli striker scored 26 Serie A goals last season to guide the Partenopei to the Scudetto for the first time in more than three decades.
He also becomes the 7th Nigerian male footballer and 8th Nigerian player to earn a Ballon D’Or award nomination after Finidi George (1995), Austin Jay-Jay Okocha (1995), Daniel Amokachi (1995), Nwankwo Kanu (1996, 1999), Victor Ikpeba (1997), Sunday Oliseh (1998), and Asisat Oshoala (2022, 2023).
Health3 days ago
How Soft Drinks Affect Male Fertility -Research
Niger Delta2 days ago
Ex-NDDC MDs’ Aide Demands Apology From EFCC Over Publication
Rivers11 hours ago
Church Inducts 30 New Knights, Others
Featured10 hours ago
Nigeria To Observe Low Key Independence Day Anniversary -FG
SMEs3 days ago
Ex-NASME Boss Charges FG On SMEs
News2 days ago
US Grants N23.2bn Financial Aid, Scholarships To Nigerian Students
Politics11 hours ago
Benue Guber: Alia, Deputy Know Fate Saturday As Tribunal Deliver Judgement
Business10 hours ago
‘Electricity Act Will Transform Power Sector’