‘Fire Related Deaths Drop By 100%’
Controller General (CG) of the Federal Fire Service (FFS), Dr Ibrahim Liman, says fire related deaths in the country have dropped by 100 per cent in one year.
Dr Liman, who said this at a press briefing yesterday in Abuja, attributed the decrease to the repositioning of the FFS.
He said from January till date, the service had recorded a total of 70 deaths to fire outbreaks compared to a total of 147 recorded in 2020.
He also said there had been an increase in the estimated property saved from N1.4 trillion in 2020 to N19.4 trillion in 2021.
The CG said the achievement could be ascribed to the procurement of new fire fighting assets, training of firefighters and motivation of staff by the federal government.
“In 2015, the service had only three rickety fire fighting trucks, but now, the service has procured 141 modern fire trucks.
“With an increased staff strength from 600 to over 6,000 and expansion from its initial presence in just Lagos State and Abuja, to all the states of the federation.
“The Service now has 15 life saving ambulances procured this year with well trained medical personnel for effective paramedic service during emergency response.
“To reduce our response time, we have a control room that houses the Nigerian Internal Security and Public Safety Alert System (NISPSAS) where emergency video calls are received, showing real time video location of the caller.
“The service also procured a hydraulic platform fire fighting truck which has the capacity of fighting fire in a 18-storey building, as well as used to effect rescue,” he said.
According to him, the FFS sent some of its fire men on training locally and internationally for better understanding and utilisation of the newly procured equipment and innovations.
Liman noted that citizens had roles to play in safeguarding lives and property.
“These roles include; compliance to fire safety code, taking seriously safety educations, not involving in negligent action that could result to fire.
“Knowing the emergency numbers and calling them in good time when there is fire or any emergency, as well as refraining from obstructing emergency vehicles on the road to emergency scenes,” he said.
He advised citizens to desist from attacking firefighters at fire scenes to enable firefighters respond appropriately.
“If we all do these, Nigeria will have a tremendous reduction in the loss of lives and property from fire related emergencies,” he added.
While wishing the Christian faithful happy Christmas and new year celebration, Dr Liman urged Nigerians to be safety conscious and to avoid actions that could lead to fire outbreak.
He stated that the harmattan had a negative high influence to the spread of fire if they occurred, hence the precautionary warning.
He said, “Nigerians now have a fire service that they can be proud of as other African countries now come to Nigeria to emulate what is happening in the service.
“Nigerians need to know that they now have a better fire service than they used to have as anyone can visit various stations in the state to see the new fire service in terms of equipment, personnel and technology.
“We might not have gotten to where we are supposed to be yet, but certainly we are not where we used to be six years ago, and all thanks to the administration of President Muhammadu Buhari.”
The CG called on citizens to be timely in contacting the FFS through their emergency numbers: 08032003556 or 112, in case of any fire incident.
NSCDC Arrests Ghanaian Over Burglary In Ondo
The Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), Ondo State Command, has arrested a 21-year-old Ghanaian, Sunday Kunle Adu, over alleged burglary and phone theft.
This is contained in a statement issued on Wednesday by NSCDC Public Relations Officer (PRO) in the state, DSC Daniel Aidamenbor, and made available to newsmen in Akure.
Aidamenbor described Adu as an incorrigible burglar who had been terrorising Osi Community in Akure North Local Government Area of the state, but was arrested by the Counter Terrorism Unit of the command after a manhunt.
He said on June 2, a case of theft was reported at the command by the victim whose house was burgled on May 26, and where two phones and sum of money were allegedly stolen.
“An online and offline tracking was activated and conducted through the ‘SIM’ card on one of the stolen phones which led to the arrest of a soft target that led to the apprehending of one Sunday Kunle Adu, male, 21-years -old.
“Adu, a Ghanaian with a Nigerian mother from Ikogosi Ekiti, lives at Abo Asakin in the Araromi axis of Airport community in Akure North.
“Upon interrogation, the suspect confessed to selling one of the phone to a traveler who was going to Abuja for N30,000 at Shasha market.
“Items allegedly stolen by the suspect were Infinix Hot 8 valued at N95,000, Tecno Pop 3 worth N75,000 and N70,000 cash belonging to the complainant.
“The suspect who already made confessional statement will be charged to court after the completion of investigation,” Aidamenbor said.
Fast-Track Hazard Allowance Implementation, NMA Fast-Track Hazard Allowance Implementation, NMA Urges Kogi
The Nigerian Medical Association (NMA), Kogi State Chapter, has appealed to the State Government to ensure speedy implementation of the new Hazard Allowance for its doctors.
The association made the call in a Communique at the end of its second quarter of State Executive Committee (SEC) meeting held on June 2, at its State Secretariat in Lokoja.
The communique was jointly signed by the Kogi NMA Chairman and Secretary; Dr Baoku Olusola and Dr Emmanuel B.J Kelvin respectively, yesterday, in Lokoja.
The communique also urged Kogi State Government to domesticate and implement the medical Residency training Act in the state.
According to the communique, after long deliberations and the observations made, the SEC resolved to do as follows:
“Appeal to Governor Yahaya Bello to instruct the relevant departments and agencies in the state to speed up the bureaucracy in the path to achieving the implementation of the new hazard allowance for doctors in the employ of the state.
“Urge the Kogi State Government to domesticate and implement the medical residency training act in the state”, it stated.
The association congratulated Bello on the award of the Commander of the Order of the Niger (CON) by former President Muhammadu Buhari’s Administration.
The NMA also commended the governor for his giant strides in the infrastructural investments in the state’s health sector.
The association, however, said there was need to close the human resources gaps in various health institutions at all levels, including state-owned health institutions, alongside significant movement of doctors out of the state’s employ.
It observed the wide margin between the salaries and allowances of doctors under the employ of the state and those in the Federal health institution which served contributed to the efflux of doctors from the state employment.
Also implicated as contributing factor was the threat to the residency training in the Kogi State Specialist hospital (KSSH).
The association observed that the major culprit to the threat of residency training in the Kogi state Specialist hospital is delayed domestication/ implementation of the Medical Residency training Act as it was being done/implemented in FCT and other states.
The NMA, therefore, urged the state government to set up a high-powered panel to review and resolve these serious issues amongst others, affecting the medical profession and practice in the state.
Uber, Bolt Drivers, Hopeful Of Negotiations
The Amalgamated Union of App-Based Transport Workers of Nigeria (AUATWON), has said it was hopeful there would be opportunity for negotiations at the end of its five-day nationwide warning strike, which began on Wednesday.
The union’s Chairman, Media and Publicity Committee, Mr Jossy Olawale, made this known in an interview with The Tide’s source in Lagos.
The source reports that the union embarked on a five-day warning strike following failure of the ride-hailing companies in Nigeria, including Uber, Bolt, Indriver and Lagride, to accede to its demands.
The demands include a call on the app-based companies to increase fare trips by 200 per cent, and reduce their commission by 50 per cent.
Olawale said, “We are hoping for an opportunity for negotiations, but if not, we are also hoping that the Federal Government will intervene.
“However, if nothing is done after the warning strike, we will review what has happened so far and take a position”.
Earlier, the union’s President, Mr Adedamola Adeniran, had in a statement, expressed dismay over an alleged meagre fare increase by the ride-hailing transport companies.
“This increase stands between 25 per cent and 30 per cent by different companies, far away from the union’s demand for 200 per cent increase and 50 per cent reduction in commission respectively, contrary to AUATWON’s demand for 10 per cent flat or 50 per cent off the current commission.
“Uber, Bolt and Lagride still maintain homogeneous commission of 20 per cent to 25 per cent and this is completely unacceptable and unprofitable for us”, he said.
He said that the union had written several letters to the companies for a round table discussion, where both parties could look at various area of concern and dialogue.
Adeniran said the companies, however, remained adamant, trying to avoid responsibility.
“We can no longer work under these conditions and intimidation; so, all app-based workers across Nigeria should be ready to fight this menace till victory,” he said.
Business3 days ago
‘Fix Refineries, Power Supply Before Fuel Subsidy Removal’
News3 days ago
Staff Truancy: RSUBEB Moves To Sanction Principals, Head Teachers
Politics1 day ago
Edo 2024: Imasuagbon Dumps PDP
Niger Delta1 day ago
Subsidy Removal: Calabar Bolt Drivers Threaten Nationwide Strike
News1 day ago
Democracy Day: FG Declares Monday Public Holiday
Information Technology3 days ago
Immigration Seeks Hitch-Free E-Passport System In PH
News3 days ago
WHO, EU Launch Digital Health Certificate To Help Nigeria
Business1 day ago
NIMASA Targets Blue Economy As Nigeria’s Cash Cow