Connect with us

Sports

African Nations Seek Help From FIFA’s COVID-19 Fund

Published

on

Every single country in Africa has applied to FIFA to access a grant through the world governing body’s COVID-19 Relief Plan.
Formally approved in July, the FIFA fund is making US$1.5 billion available to its 211 member associations and six confederations.
Last week, FIFA announced that it believes the coronavirus pandemic has cost the global football economy an estimated $14 billion.
“Fifty-four African member associations have applied for grants,” a FIFA spokesperson told Tidesports source.
FIFA has revealed that over 150 countries have already applied for the scheme, meaning Africa represents around a third of the countries to have made such a request.
Every member association can apply for a grant of up to $1.5m, a third of which has to be spent on women’s football, a ‘key element of the COVID-19 Relief Plan’, FIFA says.
Confederations can apply for up to $2m in funding, with four of FIFA’s six confederations having done so.
Our source understands that the Confederation of African Football is not among them, despite postponing a handful of income-generating tournaments and facing a legal bill that could amount to tens of millions after abruptly cancelling a billion-dollar broadcast deal last year.
There is no timescale on the request for loans, meaning that both member associations and confederations can apply as and when they need.
“Essentially, this is not about distributing money but achieving the right social and economic impact to support club football, players, staff, youth academies and member associations through these troubled waters,” said Olli Rehn, chairman of the FIFA fund’s steering committee.
The current Governor of the Bank of Finland, Rehn, added that comprehensive auditing and compliance checks will be carried out to ensure all funds reach their intended destination.
“This is at the heart of this COVID-19 relief fund,” the 58-year-old told reporters. “We do request and require full compliance with the best auditing standards. Corruption has no room in football.”

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Continue Reading

Sports

Organisers Explain 2021 NSF Postponement

Published

on

The 21st edition of National Sports Festival earlier scheduled for November 2 to 15, 2022, in Asaba, Delta State, will now hold from November 28 to December 10, 2022.
According to a statement by the Festival Secretary, Peter Nelson, and addressed to all Commissioners of Sports and Directors of Sports, the postponement was at the request of the host, Delta State.
“I wish to convey the request of Delta State Government to shift the date of the 21st National Sports Festival earlier scheduled to hold from November 2 to 15, 2022.
“It is now shifted to start on November 28 to December 10, 2022.
“The reason for the postponement is to give Delta State more time to complete some of the facilities needed for the festival,” the statement reads.
It will be recalled that the 20th edition of the National Sports Festival held in Benin City, Edo State, which was tagged: “Edo 2020,” also suffered several postponements until it finally held from April 2 to 14.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Continue Reading

Sports

Nigeria Must Embrace Grassroots Sports Dev – Amusan

Published

on

Women’S 100 metres hurdles world record holder, Tobi Amusan, believes that grassroots development programmes and top-notch training will help the country discover more athletics world champions.
Speaking in Lagos at a dinner organised in her honour by The Plug, an entertainment firm, tagged ‘Tobi Amusan’s Homecoming,’ she blamed the exodus of the Nigeria’s top athletes to other countries to what such nations offer the athletes.
“Grassroots sports development is something we lack here and the reason we often lose our top athletes to other countries of the world.
“From my experience training in the United States, if we can have such development here, we can groom young talents and unearth more Tobi Amusans,” she said.
On the recent ratification of her record by World Athletics, Amusan said: “That my world record was ratified by the world body means that I am drug free and that I am clean. I feel great about it. Every time I am on the track, my eyes are always set on how to win and I execute it by winning.”
She also spoke on the recent reception by the Federal Government, saying, “It is great feeling that we were recognised by the president of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. In as much as we did the work, it was an honour that they took into account and they recognised the fact that we did the nation proud. It is such a great feeling getting the national honour.”
She acknowledged the support she got after her world record feat, with her followers on Twitter rising from 3000 to 150,000 under 24 hours, saying it showed that people appreciate what she is doing.
On the criticism by men’s 400 metres world record holder, Michael Johnson, after her record breaking race in Oregon, U.S, Amusan said she was not bothered. “Honestly, I kept doing my thing because after the World Championships, I had other competitions to attend. I don’t dwell on negativity… I look on the bright side of the sport.”
At the event, Flutterwave, which used the occasion to declare it has signed a multi-year partnership deal with Amusan, said: “It is very difficult to find athletes who embody our core values the way Tobi does.”

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Continue Reading

Sports

YSFON : Academy Coach Begs For Assistance

Published

on

The Head coach of the De Kings International Football Academy (DKIFA) of Port Harcourt Okpaleke Chika King is begging the Rivers State ministry of Sports,  private and corporate individuals and all lovers of football for financial support to assist his team represent the state in Youth Sports Federation Of Nigeria (YSFON) competition.
He said that his team was representing Rivers state at the ongoing Chief of Naval Staff National (YSFON) Competition in Ilorin, Kwara State. He said he had written a letter to the Ministry of Sports and also to some private individuals for assistance.
King made the assertion on Saturday in an exclusive interview with Tidesports in Port Harcourt before leaving for Kwara state.
According to him he had nothing to do than to borrow money for the journey believing that when the State’s Commissioner for Sports sees the letter he would not fail to respond to it.
“ As you can see, my boys are ready for the competition but we lack support.
“ I have written to the Ministry of Sports and also to some private individuals to assist us  but I have not gotten any reply, yet.

By: Kiadum Edookor

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Continue Reading

Trending