The Federal Government says it has developed an accelerated education Curriculum that will cater for out-of-school children across the country with emphasis on the insurgency and crises prone areas.
The Minister of Education, Mallam Adamu Adamu stated this while speaking at the ministerial session of the just concluded 64th National Council on Education (NCE) held in Port Harcourt, last Thursday.
Mallam Adamu said the curriculum was developed by the Nigerian Education Research and Development Council (NERDC) to recover the lost years and restore normalcy in the affected states and local government areas within the shortest possible time,adding that the curriculum which the council at the just concluded meeting ratified ,is intended to provide an alternative basic education programme that will mop up out-of-school children and youths in those areas.
According to him, the programme was designed to have a one year cycle with opportunities for mains-treaming learners at age appropriate class levels in regular school programme and added the pilot scheme would be launched in Borno State and later to other states affected by conflict and dislocation.
“In the aftermath of the insurgency in the North Eastern part of the country,we have been left with orphaned children whose education has been disrupted in the process .
This was acerbated by poverty ,dislocation of social-cultural and psychological factors,” he stated.
The minister averred that on the strength of these challenges,the NERDC developed new contents which he said, had been infused into the existing school curricula for quality ,relevance and competitiveness, adding that some of the new contents added include Financial Literacy Education, Capital Market Studies, Trafficking in Person Education as well as the Online Safety Education.
Mallam Adamu opined that the contents were created to support our national drive for quality and enterprise education and human capital development as well as providing Nigerian children with opportunity of acquiring functional education and life skills that are relevant to the 21st century dynamic lifestyle,transit culture and skills set in the world work.
On the improvement of teacher quality,the minister said,the federal government had steadily increased budgetary provision for the training and retraining of teachers.
“We have also stepped up the Universal Basic Education Commission (UBEC) which funded-teachers Professional Development (TPD) programme and resuscitated the Technical Teachers Training Programme (TTTP) with the aim of ensuring that teachers and education managers are exposed to current teaching methodologies, management systems and policies”
Mmom Warns Against Harassment Of School Principals
Commissioner for Education Prof. Chinedu Mmom, JP has stated categorically that he has not authorized any person or group of persons to go to schools in the name of taskforce or committee to harass and extort money from principals or teachers for any reason whatsoever.
The commissioner who stated this last Friday in a statement signed by the Senior Information Officer of Ministry, Tochi Abinye Pepple and made available to said what his ministry is doing is random check to ensure that schools have resumed in compliance with directives of government on school resumption.
Prof. Mmom urged principals and head teachers to be at alert and to arrest such persons who parade themselves as members of taskforce from the ministry and report such to him for proper action.
In his words” I have not set up any taskforce or committee to do any form of monitoring. Any person who comes to your school should come with original letters signed by myself. Education is free in Rivers State as His Excellency has declared”.
The commissioner further stated that if there is need to set up any committee or task force by his ministry, that he will also discuss it with the principals and make it public for everyone to know.
He advised those involved in such art to desist henceforth or be ready to face the music.
Prof. Mmom further warned principals to stop extorting money from students and pupils through admission reminding them that Education remains free in Rivers State.
By: Susan Serekara-Nwikhana
Anambra Bans Use Of Miniskirts As School Uniform
Anambra has banned the wearing of miniskirts as school uniform in all schools in the state.
Commissioner for Education, Prof. Ngozi Chuma-Udeh, stated in Awka on Sunday that the announcement of the ban became necessary as schools resume on Monday.
She said the ban had been communicated to Education Secretaries of public and private schools in the state.
The commissioner condemned the growing trend of wearing miniskirts as school uniform and said it was morally wrong and unacceptable in children of school age.
“A student should look smart, well groomed, project positive vibes and not be indecently dressed for school.
“The acceptable length for uniforms in the state remains knee length and not above the knee, which is fast becoming the fashion trend in schools,’’ she noted.
The commissioner said Education Secretaries had been charged to ensure that schools complied with the directive to salvage the future of students in the state. Chuma-Udeh also urged the secretaries to instil the right morals and discipline in students so that they would be well-behaved and grow to become responsible adults.
Strike: Group Urges ASUU To Be Responsible In Its Negotiations
Enugu-based Progressive Students Movement (PSM) has urged the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) to be responsible in its negotiations to resolve the ongoing strike and consider suffering of Nigerian students.
The PSM also urged the Federal Government to withdraw its law suit against ASUU at the Industrial Court “as this will further waste the already wasted time of Nigerian students”.
The President of PSM, Mr Bestman Okereafor, disclosed this in a statement made available to News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Enugu on Sunday.
Okereafor noted that it was regrettable that the strike had been allowed to linger beyond seven months.
The PSM boss, while appealing for a compromise between both parties, enumerated the recent losses caused by the lingering strike.
“It is regrettable that actions of both parties have led to shutting down of universities for seven months over the continuous strike which has obviously drastically affected the academic calendars.
“The continuous strike has also deprived university students from joining their polytechnic counterparts in mobilising and partaking in National Youth Service Corps (NYSC).
“ Information at our disposal reveals a UNIBEN staff committed suicide few weeks ago,” he said.
He appealed to well meaning Nigerians, especially prominent leaders and respected traditional rulers, to prevail on both parties to shift grounds and find a middle ground for an amicable agreement.
He noted that Nigerian students had remained at the receiving end of each academic strike.
News5 days ago
Senate Screens Acting CJN, Today
Sports5 days ago
Oshoala Returns, Waldrum Invites 22 S’Falcons For Japan Friendly
Nation3 days ago
UNDP, IGP Seek Partnership On Police Reforms
Sports3 days ago
NFF Yet To Offer Finidi, Shorunmu Contract
Crime/Justice5 days ago
…Debunk PTD-NUPENG Members’ Claim
Politics5 days ago
Fayose, Others To Ensure Victory For PDP Candidates In Ekiti
News3 days ago
Climate Change: Buhari Reiterates Commitment To Energy Transition Plan
Health5 days ago
Health Benefits Of Eating Walnuts