Connect with us

Sports

Eight Year German Causes Upset In Tennis Championship Cup

Published

on

An eight-year-old German player, Lorelay Sieghnde Holzendorff, is causing a great upset at the ongoing 13th Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) Junior Tennis Championship holding in Lagos, as she played her way into the semi-finals.
Tidesports source reports that little Holzendorf a Basic Four Pupil of Dorety Nursery and Primary School, Surulere, Lagos is a first timer in the U-10 category of CBN Junior Tennis Championships.
Holzendorf, in spite of her age and size, was able to defeat bigger and older players without dropping a set in her play-offs winning all the games.
She has, however, made it to the semi-finals of the competition with her eyes set on winning it with the aid of her coach.
Holzendorf told Tidesports source that Tennis appealed to her, hence her interest in the game that has got her so far in the tournament.
“I love tennis and I will like to be playing it. I want to win this tournament to make my parents happy,” she said.
Holzendorf’s mum, Patience, said that her daughter picked up the interest in Tennis as early as when she was five-year-old, adding that she would always support her interest in the game.
“My daughter picked interest in the game about three years ago when I used to bring her to the stadium; she likes the game and asks if she would be allowed to play.
“In this tournament, she is the best of the rest because she took great interest in the game, she is very diligent and plays very well in spite of the fact that this is her first outing.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Continue Reading

Sports

Eagles May Play Home Games In Abuja

Published

on

Plans are underway to have the Super Eagles move their home games to Abuja after Dangote Group handed over the rehabilitated MoshoodAbiola National Stadium, Abuja to the Ministry of Youth and Sports Development.
Contractors, Aron Nigeria Limited, handed over the rehabilitated stadium to the Minister of Youth and Sports Development, Sunday Dare, on Friday.
The rehabilitation work was carried out on the main bowl pitch and scoreboard.
Tidesports source reports that Dare had clamoured for the return of the Eagles to Abuja on several occasions, stating the need to have a permanent home stadium.
The Eagles last played at the Abuja stadium in 2012
“It is my wish that the Super Eagles and indeed the national teams of Nigeria, like elsewhere, have a permanent venue to play their matches rather than playing from one place to another,” Dare said last month while speaking to State House correspondents.
“There are great benefits for countries’ national teams to have a particular venue where the players understand very well. I believe very soon the Super Eagles will be playing their matches in Abuja or Lagos if the national stadium is fully ready too.”
In the last 10 years, the Eagles have played their home games at the GodswillAkpabio Stadium Uyo, Samuel Ogbemudia Stadium, Benin and AdokiyeAmiesimaka Stadium, Port Harcourt.
They, however, made a return to Lagos after 10 years and for the first time for a competitive match in 20 years when they played Lesotho in the 2022 World Cup qualifier at the TeslimBalogun Stadium on March 30.
They ended up playing their remaining World Cup qualifiers and the 2021 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers in Lagos.
While the Eagles were hoping to make the TeslimBalogun Stadium their new home, news emerged last week that the Confederation of African Football had banned the stadium from hosting matches.
In a letter dated October 17, which was sent to the Secretary-General of the Nigeria Football Federation, Mohammed Sanusi,CAF said the stadium “lacks the CAF criteria and requirements in order to properly host international competitions”.
The letter signed by CAF Development Director Raul Chipenda said the stadium failed to implement the recommendations addressed to the NFF after the previous inspection.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Continue Reading

Sports

Court Bars Bash Ali From Defaming Minister

Published

on

Justice O.C. Agbaza of the High Court of the Federal  Capital Territory (FCT) has issued a restraining order, barring Bash Ali from further making or publishing any denigrating or defamatory material against the Minister of Youth and Sports Development, Sunday Dare.
Tidesports source reports that the Minister had far back as June 25, 2021, approached the Federal High Court, Abuja division seeking a restraining order and charging Bash Ali with libel and defamation of character.
The lawyers to the minister from the Keyamo Chambers spent months unable to serve Bash and the judicial workers strike. Upon resumption and with the serial defamation by Bash Ali continuing, the lawyers approached the court. This time, the Keyamo team and Wole Olanipekun team as counsels secured the restraining order.
It would be recalled that sometime in April 2021, Bash Ali had in a letter, which he made available to the public, made several allegations against the Minister.
The Minister denied those allegations and to assert his innocence, the Minister filed Suit No. FCT/HC/CV/1269/2021seeking injunctive reliefs and pecuniary damages from Bash Ali on account of the defamatory publication.
Despite the pendency of this suit, Bash Ali recently published a video on social media in which he repeated those false allegations against the Minister and also issued several threats against the Minister and the Ministry.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Continue Reading

Sports

Nigeria’s Saidu Elected As Commonwealth Handball Scribe

Published

on

Nigeria’s Jibril Saidu has been elected the new secretary of the Commonwealth Handball Association.
The election, which took place via zoom on Monday, saw Saidu emerging unopposed but still polled 100 percent of the available votes.
Saidu,a former player became the second Nigerian to be elected as Secretary-General of the Commonwealth Handball Association succeeding General Ishola Williams who held the same position for almost three decades.
Also, Ruth Saunders, former President of South Africa Handball Federation defeated Steve Neilson of Scotland to become the first woman president of the Association.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Continue Reading

Trending