The Rivers State Governor, Chief Nyesom Wike has disbursed the sum of N23million empowerment fund to wives of fallen heroes across the 23 local government areas of the state.
The Sole Administrator, Nigerian Legion, Rivers State Command, Barrister Justice Chichi Ogborun while presenting the cheque of N1million to the beneficiaries of the scheme at the Nigerian Legion Headquarters, Port Harcourt, last Wednesday, commended the governor for the kind gesture towards legionnaires, wives of fallen heroes and their dependants.
Ogborun recalled that earlier in March, he had released N23million to chairmen of the legion in the 23 LAGs, adding that the disbursement of another N23million to wives of fallen heroes was in fulfilmentioned of his promise to the Rivers State governor to support the widows of fallen heroes.
He advised the women to conduct themselves in an orderly manner and avoid crisis while sharing the money, and urged them to use the money judiciously.
“Normally, anywhere you hear about money, there is usually crises, and all that, but I am very confident that as well cultured wives of fallen heroes, you would comport yourselves and make proper use of the investment made in your welfare and future.”
The Nigerian Legion State Women Leader, Mrs Theresa Pepple, shortly after receiving the Deed of Conveyance of over two of plots landed property bought by the widows some years back for agricultural purposes, described the governor as God-sent to the wives of fallen heroes in the state.
She stressed that with the governor’s good acts, tears have been wiped away from their eyes, adding that no governor has done so much for them in the history of the legion.
Also speaking, Enemi Morgan George thanked the governor and the sole administrator for removing shame and reproach from their lives, adding that they have been removed from the league of beggars which successive administrators had turned to before the emergence of Ogborun.
She prayed God to keep the governor of the state, his wife and children alive, so that everyone in the state would experience the dividends of democracy.
The Tide observed that the gesture put together by the Rivers State governor has been receiving huge commendation from the widows, who prayed for the continuous protection and the re-election of Wike in the 2019 General elections.
The Tide gathered that those present at the Legion’s headquarters to receive the money were the chairpersons of the widows, their secretaries, and treasurers from the 23 LGAs of the state.
Some of the leaders who received the cheques of N1million on behalf of their LGAS were George Morgan Enemi (Asari Toru), Faith Amadi (Ikwerre), Rose Yeyewa ( Eleme), Nwoko Comfort (ONELGA), Ayike Rose (Ahoada-East) and Iyaye Rosannah ( Ogu/Bolo).
Minister Urges NDDC Board To Be Unique
The Minister of Niger Delta Affairs, Mr Umana Okon Umana, has called on the newly inaugurated Board of the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC) to ensure they make a difference for the development of the region.
Umana said this in his keynote remarks, while declaring open the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC) Board and Management retreat in Uyo, at the weekend.
He said the inauguration of the board was meant to enhance the development of the Niger Delta Region and charged them to live above board in the discharge of their duties.
He urged them to strictly adhere to the rules of due diligence and transparency in line with the Establishment and Public Procurement Acts.
He said the inauguration of the board was meant to enhance the development of the Niger Delta region, adding that the region, which has suffered neglect and deprivation for so long, needed a new lease of life
The minister called on the board to focus on key areas like the establishment act and public procurement act as Nigerians expect a turnaround of the commission to reflect the core mandate of developing the region.
Umana called on the participants to set a template that would facilitate rapid development of the niger delta and Nigeria in general.
“This retreat is principally to ensure that the new board are properly equipped to provide a new direction for the development of the Niger Delta region,” he said.
Earlier, the Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer, NDDC, Chief Samuel Ogbuku, in his address of welcome, said the board was expected to do something differently to take the Niger Delta region to greater hight.
Ogbuku said the new board had a template for sustainable programme for youths and every citizen of the region.
He said the commission would endeavour to create partnership with International Oil Companies (IOCs) and other stakeholders through public private partnerships initiative.
He urged participants to evolve ideas, programmes and blueprints towards taking the region to a new level of development.
“We will soon unfold our packages for the development of the region. The Niger Delta Development Commission Board is expected to make great difference this time around,” he said.
The Tide’s source reports that the three-day retreat for NDDC board and management is with the theme; “NDDC: Making a Difference.”
The source also reports that a communique is expected at the end of the retreat to address issues affecting the niger delta region and proffer possible solutions.
FG Trains 50 Farmers On Agroforestry Model In Edo
The Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development (FMARD) has trained 50 coconut farmers and processors on agroforestry system-based plantation model, to improve the livelihoods of the farmers in Edo State.
The capacity building was organised under the coconut value chain of the ministry, in collaboration with the Nigerian Institute for Oil Palm Research (NIFOR) in Benin.
Declaring the training open, the Minister of Agriculture, Dr Mohammad Abubakar, said the exercise was part of efforts of the Federal Government to attain food security and self-sufficiency in Nigeria.
Represented by Chukwuemeka Ukattah, a Director in the ministry, Abubakar said President Muhammadu Buhari was determined to turn around the nation’s economy through agriculture by its unwavering support for farmers and empowerment of women and youths.
He said it was an effort to attain food security, self-sufficiency as well as improve the livelihood of coconut farmers and processors.
“The government, through the coconut value chain, decided to provide you with the necessary knowledge and skills to establish and maintain a successful coconut plantation.
“We will cover topics such as nursery establishment, field development, harvesting and processing to meet local and international markets standard and demand.
“With the right training, coconut value chain has the potentials to contribute significantly to the nation’s GDP and generate employment,” Abubakar said.
The Executive Director of NIFOR, Dr Celestine Ikuenobe, who welcomed participants to the workshop, said Nigeria’s coconut production was far below the demand.
“I am sure that if the National Coconut Producers Processors and Marketers Association of Nigeria (NACOPPMAN) works with this agroforestry based plantation model, the value chain will be on a scale to contribute significantly to our economy.
“We suddenly got a huge demand for coconut seedlings in the last three to four years and we were caught napping because we did not prepare for the fact that there was going to be an upsurge in the demand for coconut seedlings,” he said.
Ikuenobe explained that NIFOR was strengthening its capacity to meet the sudden upsurge in the demand for the seedlings.
“We are working to invigorate our coconut gardens in addition to other identified seed trees,” he added.
According to him, in the last two years, “we have replanted our coconut germplasm and in the next five years, there will be enough to provide nuts and materials for the industry.”
Council Re-Proclaims Ekpo Abasi-Otu As Obong Of Calabar
The Etubom’s Conclave of the Obong of Calabar Palace has re-proclaimed Edidem Ekpo Abasi-Otu V, as the Obong of Calabar.
This was in compliance with the Supreme Court Judgement of January 13, which ordered the Etubom’s Conclave of the Obong of Calabar’s Palace to conduct fresh selection process for the throne of the Obong of Calabar.
Chairman, Etubom’s Conclave, Etubom Ntiero Effiwat, stated this recently while reading a document signed by 13 of the conclave members before the others at the palace of the Obong of Calabar.
According to Effiwat, Abasi-Otu of Adiabo Ikot Mbo Otu House, having fully satisfied with candidate qualifications and eligibility, the Etubom’s Conclave therefore, declared him the successor.
“He is hereby on this day, Jan. 18, 2023 been proclaimed as successor to the throne of the Obong of Calabar.
“The qualified Etuboms who fall under this group were communicated to and directed to produce and present their nominee to the Etubom’s Conclave by Jan. 18, 2023.
“The most senior Etubom of Atai Iboku group, Etubom Otu Efa-Otu, presented thier selected nominee for the throne of Obong of Calabar in person of HRH, Ekpo Abasi-Otu of Adiabo Ikot Mbo Otu House,” he said.
News4 days ago
New Militant Group Emerges In N’Delta, Threatens Polls
Politics4 days ago
Outcome Of 2023 Polls Not Predictable – US Agency
News2 days ago
CSO Raises Concern As Out-Of-School Children Jump To 18.5m
Politics2 days ago
2023: INEC Reviews Level Of Preparedness
Sports4 days ago
Osaji, Edwards Shines At Junior Tennis Tourney
Business4 days ago
‘Inflation Weakens Naira By 15%’
News2 days ago
LGA Boss Vows To Deliver Fubara, Others In Rivers
Niger Delta4 days ago
Diri Condemns Political Violence, Warns Monarchs, Youths