The Nigerian Army has warned all persons perpetrating various crimes against humanity in Adamawa, Benue and Taraba States to desist forthwith or be ready to face the full force of the military.
The Army’s stance signed by its Director, Public Relations, Brigadier General Texas Chukwu was displayed on its Twitter handle, @HQNigerianArmy.
Expressing worry at the wanton arson and killings in the country, especially in the three Northern states, the Army said it had directed its men to activate its rules on engagement in dealing with the crimes which they said were tantamount to arson and murder.
Describing the continued arson and killings in the three states as disturbing and senseless, the military spokesperson said it had mandated its commanders in the concerned areas to implement decisive actions to arrest the menace or face court-martial.
While noting that it was working with other security agencies to stem the tide, the Army avowed that it had resolved to arrest all perpetrators as well as their backers, no matter how highly placed they were.
The Army’s stance read, “The attention of the Nigerian Army has been drawn to the continued disturbing, senseless killings and wanton destruction of properties in Adamawa, Benue and Taraba States.
“Our Rules of Engagement (ROE) is clear on arson & murder, therefore, no such criminal acts would be allowed in any of the aforementioned states.
“We would like to unequivocally reiterate that Army HQs warns the arsonists and the killers to stop or face decisive action by troops.
In view of this, we strongly warn the perpetrators of these crimes to desist forthwith.
“The public are please reminded that when troops are called out for internal security operations, they are not to joke or persuade anyone.
We have warned our commanders on the ground to take decisive actions or face court-martial.
“The Nigerian Army in conjunction with sister services and other security agencies are working assiduously to identify and arrest all those involved regardless of their disposition in the society including government functionaries.”
Meanwhile, the death toll from the attacks on communities in Plateau State has risen to 20, the police have said.
Residents, however, said 25 people have been killed.
Our correspondent reported that the attacks on communities in Bokkos Local Government Area including on the days President Muhammadu Buhari visited the state. The attacks occurred between March 7 and 9.
Residents have blamed herdsmen for the attack.
Our correspondent gathered that victims were murdered in their sleep by gunmen who invaded Laake village in Kwall district of the local government.
The national president of Irigwe Development Association, Honourable Sunday Abdul, who confirmed this to Sunday Tribune in Jos, said the gunmen suspected to be Fulani herdsmen stormed Laake village in a commando-like operation, killing four children were killed in their sleep.
learnt that the incident started last Wednesday when gunmen, in their large numbers invaded both Dafo and Josho villages in the local government, with the attack said to have lasted till Friday.
The attackers, it was learnt, killed 18 people while two others died on their way to the hospital in Jos.
Worse hit villages included Ngakudung, Farunhai, Mhorok, Ganda and Warrem-Hotom.
Also hit were Maidunna and Josho, where Sen. Joshua Dariye (APC/Plateau Central), took relief materials to last week, following an attack on the village in February.
The councillor representing Dafo ward, Hon. Danjuma Mabas, who confirmed the latest number of causalities said, apart from the 20 that were given mass burial on Saturday, there were several others that are still missing, adding that over 50 houses were burnt.
“The attackers,” he said, “swooped on the two villages in their large number ahead of President Mohammadu Buhari’s visit to Plateau State, having got wind of the fact that the security men had been withdrawn to provide security for the president.”
“As of Friday evening, no fewer than 20 people were killed, over 50 houses were burnt while many other people are still missing,” Mabas added.
Another prominent native of Bokkos, Reverend Mamot Daladi Adams, said the withdrawal of security men at the local government paved the way for the gunmen to launch the attack on the affected villages.
He said: “From our findings, the security men on ground in the local government were withdrawn to protect Mr. President, who was on a two-day visit to Plateau State. The rate of attack in the state is highly disturbing; no fewer than five traditional rulers have been killed in this local government in recent times, yet the state government is deceiving the Federal Government that there is peace in the state.”
Some of the villagers, who spoke to newsmen, said that the attackers wore “black uniform” and had sophisticated guns.
“The attackers wore black uniforms and had something that looked liked a scarf on their heads,” one Malo Mafulul, told our correspondent at Ganda village.
Wabas, who confirmed Mafulul’s claims, described the situation as “scary,” saying that more people were still unaccounted for.
Major Umar Adams, the spokesman of Operation Save Haven (OPSH), the security outfit in charge of security in Plateau, confirmed the attacks.
Reacting to the allegation that the redeployment of military men to reinforce security operatives in Jos during the visit of Mr. President caused the killings in both Bokkos and Bassa local governments, the Media Officer of STF, Major Umar Adams said no soldier was redeployed from the two areas to Jos.
According to him, the military men used during the visit of Mr. President were those within Jos metropolis and its environs, adding that when the command got wind of the incident in Bokkos, it reacted promptly and was able to arrest five people in connection with the incident.
The state government also denied the insinuation that security men were withdrawn from both Bokkos and Bassa to reinforce the security men in Jos during the president’s visit.
Yesterday, the state’s police command confirmed the arrest of a herdsman with a military AK 47 rifle.
Terna Tyopev, the command’s spokesman, who confirmed the arrest to the News Agency of Nigeria on Sunday in Jos, gave the rifle’s number as HC2614.
He said that the herdsman, Muhammadu Bimini, was arrested by mobile police officers on March 8, at Daffo.
Mr. Tyopev said that the suspect had been transferred from Bokkos to the state Criminal Investigation Department (CID) in Jos and was already being interrogated.
The police spokesman said that 16 people had been confirmed killed in the multiple attacks on several villages that took place between Wednesday, March 7, and Friday, March 9.
He said that the command had deployed more personnel to restore peace to the troubled areas, and advised the people to remain calm and avoid taking laws into their hands.
RSHA Strips Omehia’s Recognition As Ex-Gov …Urges Refund Of Earned Entitlements
The Rivers State House of Assembly has withdrawn the recognition of Sir Celestine Omehia as former governor of Rivers State, and also stopped the payment of all entitlements to him as a result.
The Assembly took the decision, yesterday, following a motion at plenary by the Leader of the House, Hon. Martin Amaewhule, who said he wanted the house to reverse its resolution taken in June 30, 2016, which gave Omehia the rights and privileges as former governor of the state.
Amaewhule, who represents Obio/Akpor Constituency 1 in the state, explained that the House did not have particulars of the Supreme Court judgement as at the time the resolution was passed in 2016.
The lawmaker presented four prayers in his motion that the state government should stop all the privileges and rights, including pension and monthly benefits that Omehia refund all monies received since the resolution was passed that he should not be addressed as ‘His Excellency’; and that the GSSRS given to him by the state government be withdrawn from him.
He also said the House should order Omehia to pay back to the state all monies received in that regard.
Amaewhule regretted that the House did not get particulars of the weekly law reporter at the time the House passed resolution, which he presented before the House to support his motion.
According to him, “The Supreme Court, in its judgement, did not recognise Omehia as governor, and this House should not disobey the Supreme Court judgement.
“The decision of the Supreme Court should be taken into recognition since it stated that he was never a governor.
“When the resolution was passed, members did not have particulars of the judgement, but now, we have better understanding of it”, he said.
In his contribution, the Chief Whip, Hon Evans Bipi, seconded the motion, and adopted all the prayers presented by Amaewhule.
Also speaking, Hon Christian Ahiakwo, Hon Michael Chinda, and Hon Kelechi Nwogu, noted that the House would not stand to disobey the Supreme Court, adding that since the law said he was never a governor,the House too should go in that line and stop all entitlements and privileges of Omehia as former governor.
All members present agreed that the monies received should be refunded to the state government seven days after the resolution was passed.
In his submission, Hon Samuel Ogeh, suggested that the state government should use all legal machineries to recover the monies, if Omehia fails to refund same as directed.
All members present voted in favour of the motion.
Consequently, the Speaker, Rt.Hon. Ikuinyi-Owaji Ibani, directed the Clark of the House to convey to Governor Nyesom Wike the resolution of the House to de-recognise Sir Celestine Omehia as former governor of Rivers State.
The Assembly also directed Omehia to, within seven days, refund N600million in earned benefits and another N96.5million pension received so far.
The speaker further directed Omehia to stop using the titled, “His Excellency” and GSSRS.
GSSRS is an honorary title from the state government reserved for an incumbent or a former governor of the state.
By: Ike Wigodo
FG’ll Borrow N720bn In Fourth Quarter, DMO Confirms
The Debt Management Office (DMO) has released its Federal Government of Nigeria Bonds Issuance Calendar for the fourth quarter of 2022.
The calendar contains N720billion borrowing plan for the period.
According to the calendar, on October 17, the DMO will re-open a 14.55per cent, April, 2029 bond valued at between N70billion and N80billion, with six years, six months term-to-maturity and an original tenor of 10 years.
The office will also re-open a 12.50 per cent, April 2032 FGN bond valued at between N70 billion to N80 billion, with a term-to-maturity of nine years, six months, and original tenor of 10 years.
On the same date, the DMO will re-open a 16.24percent. 2037 FGN bond, valued at between N70billion and N80billion, with term-to-maturity of 14 years, six months, and original tenor of 20 years.
On November 14, the DMO will, again, re-open the 14.55per cent, April, 2029, FGN bond valued at between N70billion and N80billion, with term-to-maturity of six years, five months.
Also, on November 14, it will re-open the 12.50per cent, April, 2032, FGN bond valued at between N70billion and N80billion, with term-to-maturity of nine years, five months.
On the same date (November 14), the office will also re-open the 16.24, April, 2037, FGN bond valued at between N70billion and N80billion, with term-to-maturity of 14 years, five months.
Then, on December 12, the DMO will re-open the 14.55per cent FGN bond valued at between N70billion and N80billion, now with a six years, four months term-to-maturity.
Also, on December 12, it will re-open the 12.50, April 2032 FGN bond, valued at between N70billion and N80billion, with term-to-maturity of nine years, four months.
Again, on December 12, it will re-open the 16.24per cent FGN bond valued at between N70billion and N80billion, with term-to-maturity of 14 years, four months .
CBN Disburses N2.1trn Real Sector Support Facility
The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has disbursed the sum of N2.1trillion under the Real Sector Support Facility Initiative.
The bank’s Director of Corporate Communications, Mr. Osita Nwanisobi, disclosed this afternoon, at the on-going 17th Abuja International Trade Fair, yesterday.
According to him, the disbursement was to 426 projects across the country, as part of CBN’s efforts to grow the nation’s economy.
Nwanisobi, who was representedby the Deputy Director, Internal Communications, Mr. Sam Okogbue, said, “For the records, under the Real Sector Facility, the Bank released the sum of N66.99billion to 12 additional projects in manufacturing and agriculture.
“Cumulative disbursements under the Real Sector Support Facility (RSSF) currently stood at N2.10trillion disbursed to 426 projects across the country.”
On the theme of this year’s fair, “Creating an Export Ready Market through SME Digitalisation,” the CBN spokesman said that the apex bank was determined to assist players in the sector to produce goods that meet international standards for export.
He said, “The Bank’s management is delighted that your chamber is spearheading conversations on the need to grow the nation’s economy through Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs).
“This also underscores the CBN governor’s continued calls on Nigerians to not only support the thriving of the SMEs in the production of commodities in which they have comparative advantage but to produce, add value and export and earn foreign exchange.”
He added that the bank’s participation was an opportunity to sensitize members of the public on its policies and programmes, especially its strategic interventions for a sustainable economic development in Nigeria.
According to the director, “As part of efforts towards creating export market, particularly for non-oil commodities, driven by SMEs, the Bank, in collaboration with the Bankers’ Committee in February, 2022, initiated the RT200 FX Programme aimed at boosting earnings of stable and sustainable inflows of foreign exchange as well as insulating the Nigerian economy from shocks and other challenges arising from foreign exchange shortages.
“Our records show that the initiative has started yielding the expected results as importers and exporters have been taking advantage of the payment of incentives of N65 for every $1 repatriated and sold at the I&E Window to authorized dealer banks for other third-parties’ use and N35 for every $1 repatriated by exporter for own use on eligible transactions.
“The bank has continued to support the creation of export ready market, especially those that would add to Nigeria’s economic growth and development, through her interventions in different sectors of the economy.
“It is important to emphasize here that we take the issue of export-readiness of businesses seriously, hence we have always encouraged business to embrace our concept of Produce, Add Value and Export (PAVE).
“The PAVE concept aims to make Nigerians consume what they produce, add value to such products and export the surpluses. It is an initiative similar to the export-led industrialization policy of South-East Asia, which changed the economic fortunes of countries such as South Korea, Taiwan, Malaysia and Singapore. PAVE, which is designed to be the key for fast-tracking a bucket of substitutes to crude oil export, encourages backward integration for the local production of items in which we have comparative advantage.
“If it worked for the South-East Asians, it surely can work for us in Nigeria. I, therefore, urge SMEs to ensure that their products and services are export-ready and can compete globally.”
In his remarks, the President of the ACCII, Mr. Mustapha Abubakar, said that the fair provided a platform for networking and creating business relationships among companies.
News5 days ago
Oba Lauds Nigerians, Urges FG, ASUU To End Strike
Niger Delta4 days ago
Independence: Okowa Lauds Deltans, Seeks Support
Rivers3 days ago
Group Partners RIVSACA On Healthcare Improvement
Politics3 days ago
Enugu CP Charges Politicians On Peaceful Campaigns
News3 days ago
Buhari Recommits To Tackling Underdevelopment In N’Delta
News9 hours ago
Giving Details Of 23 Abuja-Kaduna Victims’ll Subject Families To Fresh Trauma
Politics8 hours ago
2023: Makinde Holds Workshop For Oyo PDP Candidates
News5 days ago
Declare Your Assets Before Leaving Office, SERAP Tells Buhari …Seeks Prosecution Of High-Ranking Officials Over Corruption Cases