The 36 state governors have, again, approved the sharing of another $2 billion (about N314billion) among the three tiers of government, Governor Godswil Akpabio of Akwa Ibom State has announced.
It is to be released from the Excess Crude Account.
Briefing newsmen after the 49th meeting of the National Economic Council, which comprises the 36 state governors and chaired by Vice President Namadi Sambo, Akpabio said the money would assist in the completion of developmental projects being executed by states across the country.
In January this year, the governors also succeeded in getting presidential approval for the sharing of $1 billion from the same ECA.
They had put pressure on President Goodluck Jonathan in December 2012 to release the said amount.
According to Akpabio: “Council received an update on the status of the Excess Crude Account from the Minister of State for Finance, Alhaji Yerima Ngama.”
Akpabio said the update showed “that $7.82 billion was left in the account, after the sharing of $1 billion by the three tiers of government earlier in the year and payment of fuel subsidy commitments.”
Council, he said, was also told about “plan to share between $1 billion and $2 billion next month to facilitate various development projects being executed by the different tiers of government across the country.”
Also speaking, Governor Ibrahim Dakwambo of Gombe said NEC gave its blessing to the recommendations of a Sub Committee he headed to review a recent presentation by the Minister of Information Technology, Mobolaji Johnson, on a proposed improved, broadband roadmap for the country, to the effect that telecoms service providers should partner with the Federal Government and state sovernments, to ensure proper harmonization and integration of development projects with ICT infrastructure in the country.
Another issue that came up for deliberation was multiple taxation and its effects on the Nigerian economy.
Council considered a report presented by Dakwambo, who heads a Technical Committee on the review of multiple taxation.
The key recommendations include: Review and amendment of the Taxes and Levies; outlawing of the use of unorthodox means to collect taxes and levies; automation of tax operations by relevant tax authorities to eliminate leakages and ensure ease of collection.
Others are that tax authorities must respect the provisions of the law on the use of consultants for tax assessment and collection and to publish the approved list of taxes and levies within the states and local governments to educate the public and facilitate compliance.
The Council adopted the recommendations and mandated the National Planning Commission to work with the proposed committee to work out a blueprint for implementation.
In a related development, Governors of the 36 states of the federation have told the President, Dr. Goodluck Ebele Jonathan, to increase the funds available to all tiers of government from the Excess Crude Account to $10 billion.
At present, the account is funded with $5.3 billion.
The governors, after a meeting of the National Economic Council, presided over by the Vice President, Architect Namadi Sambo, on Monday, said the boosting of the Excess Crude Account will be a buffer for the economy.
The Governor of Rivers and Chairman of the Governors Forum, Hon. Rotimi Amaechi, who briefed the press, said that the increase would help provide a buffer for the economy for at least three months.
Amaechi said the meeting also resolved to support Jonathan in the process of the appointment of members of the Board of Directors of the Sovereign Wealth Fund.
He told the media: “The C.
The funds, meant for development projects, is only accessible upon fulfillment of specified conditions, including funds and bank guarantee bond.
Council, therefore, enjoined states and local government areas to take maximum advantage of the fund by meeting the set conditions so as to access as much as N500 million per state.
The Minister of Water Resources presented the report of the Inter-Ministerial inspection of the Federal Government water projects numbering about 111 and spread across the country.
The report stated that a whopping N191.7 billion is required to complete the projects.
After consideration, Council stressed the need for all ongoing projects to be completed to achieve meaningful development.
Governors resolved to partner with the Federal Government to ensure completion of all water projects and to collaborate in the budgetary processes of some strategic ministries such as health, water resources, education and works to promote synergy in projects implementation.
Again, RSG Begins Unveiling, Flag-Off Of Nine Key Projects, ’Morrow
The Rivers State Government has rolled out the drums to herald another phase of official commissioning of key projects embarked upon by the Governor Nyesom Wike-led administration in the state.
A statement by the state government said that the process is in continuation of the commissioning and flag-off of projects by Governor Nyesom Wike.
It indicated that Rumuola flyover would be commissioned tomorrow, while the GRA flyover would be commissioned on Saturday.
The also stated that the government would commission the Ezimgbu Road on Monday, December 13, 2021; with another commissioning of Tombia Road Extension scheduled for Tuesday, December 14, 2021.
The statement said that the governor would commission the Safe Home, Borikiri, Port Harcourt on Wednesday, December 15; while on Thursday, December 16, 2021, the governor would commission the Odokwu internal roads.
Also, the governor would continue the flag-off of key infrastructure projects with Chokocho-Igbodo Road slated for Monday, December 20, 2021; Oyigbo-Okoloma Road on Wednesday, December 22, 2021; and Magistrates’ Court Complex, Port Harcourt on Thursday, December 23, 2021.
Wike Justifies N7bn Libel Suit Against THISDAY
Rivers State Governor, Chief Nyesom Wike, yesterday, appeared before the state High Court in Port Harcourt, to testify as a witness in an N7billion libel suit against THISDAY Newspaper.
Wike said he was in court to seek justice and clear his name as a person from the malicious publication by THISDAY Newspaper, which portrayed him as deceitful, untrustworthy person, who exerts subterranean influences on judicial matters and over court sittings in Port Harcourt.
It would be recalled that Wike had in August, 2020, slammed a N7billion suit being damages for libel written and published in THISDAY’s Tuesday, June 23, 2020 edition captioned, “With Wike, Obaseki Meets His PDP’s Waterloo; Almost.”
The defendants in the suit are THISDAY Newspapers Limited, Leaders and Company Limited, Davidson Iriekpan, Chuks Okocha and Adibe Emenyonu.
Wike, while testifying as witness in suit No. PHC/1505/CS/2020 before the court presided over by Justice A. Enebeli, asserted that the defendants maliciously and falsely portrayed him as an unreliable friend/person.
“When you say somebody cannot be trusted; that cannot be a fair comment. When you say somebody is influencing the Judiciary, that cannot be a fair comment”, the governor said.
In his written statement on oath, Wike had stated that the defendants had accused him of influencing the decision of the court sitting in Port Harcourt that granted an injunction restraining Godwin Obaseki from participating in the primaries of Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Edo State in 2020.
He stated that the defendants maliciously accused him of undemocratically exerting influence on the primaries process of PDP in Edo State in aid of his ally, Omoregie Ogbeide-Ihama, who was the beneficiary of the court order restraining Obaseki from participating in the PDP primaries.
The governor, who told the court that he was not even aware of the aforementioned suit by Ogbeide-Ihama against Obaseki, said the publication was reckless, false and without regards for the truth.
According to him, contrary to well-known journalistic tradition and practices, the defendants did not investigate properly to ensure the information they relied on was accurate.
“They did not seek to verify the facts from me or in any manner oblige me with the opportunity to state my own side of the story before proceeding to make the false publication” the governor argued.
Wike stated that the defendants further denigrated him before the entire world as a fake democrat, who engages in meddling in the internal affairs of All Progressives Congress (APC) in order to get at his political foe, Chibuike Amaechi.
The governor explained that he was not a member of the APC and has had no hand in the internal crisis which has bedevilled the party both in Rivers State and all over Nigeria.
“By the letter of Messrs E.C. Ukala and Co., Solicitors, under the hand of Emmanuel C. Ukala, SAN, dated 23rd June, 2020, the defendants were given opportunity to retract, and recant the publication as well as to offer apology for the false publication but the defendants spurned the opportunity and ignored the letter completely.”
The governor, while responding to claim by lawyer to the defendants, Turudu Ede, SAN, that the essence of the lawsuit was to intimidate and harass his clients, said the whole essence of the suit was to get justice and clear his name as a man of substantial character, honour and repute.
“The essence of the suit is to get justice since they (defendants) refused to retract the publication or apologise. So, I sued them to clear my name.”
Speaking to journalists outside the court, one of the lawyers to Wike, Mr. Mark Agwu said his client was in court to seek legal redress.
“To challenge him as a person, it means you have made him untrustworthy, a deceit, a cheat, an influencer of the court, because the publication they made was that he had a role to play in influencing the outcome of that Federal High Court case. Nobody will take that lightly, and especially for a man who believes in the rule of law”, Agwu added.
The court adjourned the matter for further hearing to 12th, 13th and 14th of January, 2022.
$130m Fraud: Rivers Sues Saipem SPA, Saipem Contracting Firm, Others
The Rivers State Government has charged two construction firms, Saipem SPA and Saipem Contracting Nigeria Ltd, to court over an alleged conspiracy to cheat and with intent to defraud the state of the sum of $130million, being advanced payment for the construction of the OCGT power plant in Port Harcourt.
In a 16-count criminal charge filed by the Director of Public Prosecution, C.F. Amadi for the Rivers State Attorney General, the state alleged that after collecting the said sum as advanced payment between 2011 and 2018, the defendants have not kept their obligation under the contract.
Others charged alongside the companies were Walter Peviana; Kelechi Sinteh Chinakwe; Giandomenico Zingali; Vitto Testaguzza and Davide Anelli, who are directors and officers of the companies.
The defendants are charged with various offences ranging from conspiracy, cheating and obtaining credit by false pretence, contrary to Section 518 (6) and (7) and punishable under Section 518 of the Criminal Code, Cap 37 Vol. 2 Laws of Rivers State of Nigeria, 1999, section 419A and punishable under Section 419 (A) (1) (b) of the Criminal Code, Cap 37 Vol. 2 Laws of Rivers State, amongst others.
Already, the Rivers State Government has issued a fiat to the law firm of Godwin Obla (SAN) to prosecute the matter before the state High court.
The defendants are equally charged for the offence of false Statements by Officials of Companies contrary to and punishable under Section 436 (b).
The prosecution specifically accused the defendants of obtaining credit of $130million by false pretences or other fraud contrary to Section 419A and punishable under Section 419 (A) (1) (b); obtaining credit of $20,467,942.00 by false pretences or other fraud contrary to Section 419A and punishable under Section 419 (A) (1) (b), obtaining credit of N7,000,000,000.00 only by false pretences or other fraud contrary to Section 419A and punishable under Section 419 (A) (1) (b).
They are charged for obtaining credit of N318,640,173.54, by false pretences or other fraud contrary to Section 419A and punishable under Section 419 (A) (1) (b); attempt to cheat $97million contrary to Section 508 and punishable under Section 509; attempt to cheat $15million contrary to Section 508 and punishable under Section 509; conspiracy to receive a credit of $97million by false pretences contrary to Section 518 (6) and punishable under Section 518; cheating $11million contrary to Section 421 and punishable under Section 421; cheating contrary to Section 421 and punishable under Section 421; cheating N110, 097, 416.51 contrary to Section 421 and punishable under Section 421; cheating by collecting sums attributable to shared facilities already paid for in AFAM Phase I in AFAM Phase II contrary to Section 421 and punishable under Section 421.
Obtaining N20, 467, 942 contrary to Section 421 and punishable under Section 421; obtaining credit of $60,168,936.00 by false pretences or other fraud, contrary to Section 419A and punishable under Section 419 (A) (1) (b); obtaining credit of $1,512,034.00 by false pretences or other fraud contrary to Section 419A and punishable under Section 419 (A) (1) (b) all of the Criminal Code Law of Rivers State, Cap 37 Vol. 2 Laws of Rivers State of Nigeria 1999.
According to the Proof of Evidence attached to the charge and the statement made by the Head, Power Generation/Mechanical of the Rivers State Ministry of Power, one Mr Temple Azunda M., the facts constituting the case in hand are as follows:
Saipem SPA and Saipem Contracting Nigeria Limited and other officers of the duo, herein the Defendants, are Italian companies which services have been retained by the Rivers State Government, herein RSG, in several projects, prominent amongst which is the AFAM Phase II Power Plant Project.
By an initial tripartite agreement made on the January 20, 2010, the RSG under the auspices of the Rivers State Ministry of Power entered a contract with Saipem Contracting Nigeria Limited, Saipem SPA for the construction of the OGCT power plant in Port Harcourt at a total cost of $119million consequent upon which the Rivers State Government made advance payments, in instalments, to Saipem Contracting Nigeria Ltd and Saipem SPA amounting in total to a sum of $130million in all which the Defendants have acknowledged receipt of.
The Defendants were to be given an initial mobilization of 20per cent of the total contract sum which the RSG paid.
It was part of the initial agreement – and indeed a condition sine qua non – that, to access the 2nd tranche of payment of 25per cent from the Rivers State Government, the Defendants would mandatorily have installed the Gas Turbine into the foundations as referenced in ATTACHMENT 1 to VO 007 which states that:
CONTRACTOR shall be entitled to a payment corresponding to 20per cent of the VO No. 007 LS PRICE upon mobilisation to site and commencement of bush clearing activities at SITE.
Upon commencement of bush clearing activities at the site, the contractor shall issue the invoice relevant to the above payment and the owner shall pay such invoice within 14 days from its issuance.
The parties agree that no deduction for recovery of advance payment shall apply on the payment due to the contractor for invoices issued by the contractor in accordance with this paragraph.
Politics2 days ago
2023 Election: Court Remands Alleged APC Member For Vote-Buying, Bribery
News2 days ago
Dream Of Making Rivers Medical Hub Achievable -Odu
Opinion2 days ago
Challenges Of Paediatric Surgery In Nigeria
Rivers2 days ago
Pray For Fubara, Stakeholder Urges Rivers People
Sports2 days ago
CAFCC: Our Inability To Convert Chances Denied Us Victory- Eguma
Niger Delta2 days ago
Bolt Driver, Female Passenger Abducted In Calabar
News2 days ago
Ex-NUPENG Secretary, Frank Kokori Dies At 80, Keyamo Mourns
Politics2 days ago
Alleged Move To Arrest Sylva: Leave Diri Alone, PDP Tells APC