Business
Fresh Unrest Disrupts Business Activities In Kaduna
Business activities in Kaduna metropolis were on Tuesday disrupted following a fresh youth restiveness, our correspondent reports.
Our correspondents reports that there was a pandemonium in the city centre as residents, including civil servants and traders, were seen running to security establishments and worship places for protection.
Markets, motor parks, banks and public offices were hurriedly closed due to the unrest.
Billowing smoke was sighted around Tudun Wada, Rigasa, Tudun Nupawa and Nasarawa areas as aggrieved youths took arms in continuation of the violence that erupted in the city on Sunday.
Some security personnel drafted to quell the situation and innocent persons were seen with various degrees of injury following the unrest.
However, the special security task force code named “Operation Yaki’’ and other security agencies have been deployed to contain the situation.
Sporadic gun shots were heard from distances, but our correspondents could not ascertain the number of casualties and property affected.
The state’s police command confirmed the violence, and said that adequate personnel had been deployed to all the affected areas.
The Police Public Relations Officer, Mr Aminu Lawal, who declined further comment, said that the Commissioner of Police Mr Jinjiri Abubakar, would brief newsmen on the situation at later.
It will be recalled that three churches in Zaria and Kaduna were attacked by suicide bombers on Sunday June 17.
Several lives and property were lost to the mayhem, while a 24-hour curfew was imposed on the state to restore normalcy.
The curfew was on Monday reduced by 12 hours, but the state government has re-imposed a 24-hour curfew in the state.