Connect with us

News

Independent Day Blasts Okah To Call 103 Witnesses From Nigeria

Published

on

Militant Leader, Henry Okah, yesterday told a Johannesburg Magistrate’s Court that he would call 103 witnesses from Nigeria to testify in his defence.

Okah is facing terrorism charges in relation to the Oct. 1, 2010 twin bomb blasts in Abuja.

Okah is slammed with charges of delivery, placement and detonation of explosives which occurred during Nigeria’s 50thIndependence Day celebrations, as well as an alternative count of conspiring with others to do so.

The prosecution, at the last adjourned date, told the court of plans to bring additional charges relating to terrorism, terror financing and possible money laundering against him in connection with the March 15, 2010 explosions in Warri, Delta State.

Okah’s counsel Rudi Krause told the court yesterday that Okah needed the witnesses to be subpoenaed to South Africa where they could testify free of intimidation.

Krause presented the list to the court.

The counsel told the court that the list he presented was a preliminary one but was brought early to give the prosecution sufficient time to prepare as Okah needed them to testify in the court.

He said the witnesses might not be able to testify freely in Nigeria, adding that at a later stage, he would provide further details of the witnesses to the court.

Krause also told the court that Okah was ready to go on trial and would not want the case delayed, adding that the conditions in which he is now being held were harsh.

He said that since cell phones were recovered in his cell in February, he had been moved to a punitive cell where he could not communicate with people and did not see sunlight.

Krause said Okah was alone in a cell which was for over 40 people, noting that his requests for medical attention had continued to be ignored by the prison authorities and his condition was progressively getting worse.

“He can’t speak to anyone, he sleeps on a concrete slab with a little mattress provided in the cell with no windows, no sunlight and his injury is getting worse,’’ the lawyer said.

Krause said he was told that a doctor who was assigned to see him had later withdrawn his services when he was told that the person he was to see was a security risk.

He urged the court to make a note on his detention warrant to indicate that he be given medical attention.

Krause also urged the court to rule that the case will no longer be adjourned at the Magistrates’ court again after the prosecution urged for more time to finish investigation and bring proof of indictment against him by August 24 ahead of the January 30, 2012 trial date.

Earlier, the prosecutor, Mr Shaun Abrahams, told the court that the state required more time to conclude its investigation as it was awaiting some information from service providers and two unnamed countries.

He said the trial date had tentatively been set for January 30, 2012 and said the state was not delaying the matter.

Abrahams also told the court that Okah had lost a bid for a leave to appeal against denial of his bail at the High Court last week and had indicated that he may approach the Supreme Court of Appeal.

He said that measures had been put in place to enable Okah to have access to medical help after the doctor earlier assigned to him withdrew.

Abrahams said the list of witnesses presented by Okah’s counsel was so long that if followed through might make the trial take up to between three and four years.

He assured that proof of indictment will be served on Okah by August 24 which was still within the nine month period from February which the prosecution promised to conclude its investigation.

Magistrate Hein Louw in his ruling, refused to rule that the adjournment for more investigation requested by the prosecution must be the final one.

He said he could not do so since they were still awaiting information from two countries which was not within their control.

Louw however said it this did not mean he would allow further adjournments for investigation as he could decide to order the prosecution to go to trial even if they claimed they were still investigating.

He said that in all likelihood, the trial would proceed on January 30, 2012.

Louw said since both parties had agreed on the issue of medical treatment, he would endorse the warrant to reflect that Okah be granted access to it.

He adjourned the case to August 24 to allow for further investigation by the prosecution and serving of proof of indictment.

The Southern Africa correspondent reports that Okah was arrested on October 2, 2010 in Johannesburg and appeared in court on October 4,2010.

He applied for bail but was denied as the South African authorities said they had a good case against him and were sure they could get a conviction even though Okah argued to the contrary.

The state during the bail application, said they had evidence of phone call and e-mail contact between Okah and suspects held in connection with the explosions in Nigeria.

Meawhile, President Goodluck Jonathan said yesterday that government would not overlook the explosions which rocked the Force Headquarters in Abuja on June 16.

Jonathan made the pledge while receiving a delegation of the family of the late Prime Minister Abubakar Tafawa Balewa, who came to commiserate with him at the State House, Abuja, over the bomb blast.

Our correspondent reports that the late Prime Minister’s family members led by Malam Yakubu Tafawa Balewa, were in the State House on a thank-you visit to the President, for naming the new Ministry of Foreign Affairs building after their father.

Jonathan said that government was taking definite steps to strengthen national security.

He said the explosion was an act of terror, which had become a global trend, but gave assurance that his administration was taking steps to ensure the safety of all Nigerians.

The President said that naming the Foreign Affairs Headquarters building after the late Prime Minister was not an accident, but “a recognition of his contributions as Nigeria’s first foreign minister’’.

He said the action was also to recognise Balewa’s contributions to the development of Nigeria as its first Premier.

On plans by the family to establish a foundation in memory of their father, Jonathan advised that they should ensure the appointment of people of integrity, who would keep the good name of the late Prime Minister alive.

He promised that the former Prime Minister’s mausoleum would be upgraded, to serve as a suitable tourist attraction for visiting foreign leaders and visitors.

Earlier, Yakubu Balewa had expressed appreciation to Jonathan, and spoke of his family’s plans to set up a foundation in memory of their father.

He said the foundation would focus on good governance and good neighbourliness.

In a related development, as Nigerians continue to condemn in its entirety the incessant bomb attack on innocent citizens, especially the latest bombing of Police Headquarters, Abuja, the Enugu State governorship candidate of the Congress For Progressive Change (CPC), in the 2011 general elections, Chief Emma Ugwu , has called on the Federal Government to as a matter of urgency probe the ugly incident with a view to bringing those behind the unholy act to book to serve as deterrent to others.

Making the call in a chat with newsmen in Enugu at the weekend, the front line politician, noted that unless drastic measures were put in place to address the worrisome development, the nation’s nascent democracy would be in a very serious jeopardy.

Chief Ugwu regretted that the bomb scare and continuous killings of innocent Nigerians in some parts of the country in no small way portend danger for the country’s march for a stable democratic rule, adding that no responsive and responsible government would fold its arms and watch the lives of its citizens threatened and wasted as it is being witnessed in the country in recent times.

Hear him: “President Goodluck Jonathan’s government should look inwards within its rank and file to find out those behind the latest bombing with a view to finding out whether members of Boko Haram have infiltrated the security network of the country. In addition, government should also find out the immediate and remote causes of the social insecurity in the country as we are yet to come out from the post election violence”.

The CPC chieftain therefore used the forum to further advise the Federal Government not allow some disgruntled elements to create unnecessary tension and panic in the country, adding that no person or group of persons is bigger or more important than the country, as the corporate interest of the nation remains paramount.

He also advised Nigerians to always emulate countries like America and Britain where politics is based on developmental issues, pointing out that national interest should take precedent over selfish and sectional interests at all times.

“If bomb could explode and kill people in the nation’s police headquarters, then, how safe is the ordinary Nigerian in other less tight security areas in the country? This is a serious issue which the authority should not hesitate to address”, he further stressed.

He, therefore, urged the entire people of Nigeria, especially the political class to close ranks and support President Jonathan in his tireless efforts to take the country to the next level.

Continue Reading

News

Rivers DPOs Receive Awards For Outstanding Performance In Crime Prevention …As Students, Media Group Honour CSP Worgu, CSP Yusuf

Published

on

Two Divisional Police Officers (DPOs) in Rivers State have been honoured by separate groups for their contributions to security, crime prevention and improved community-police relations in their respective areas of responsibility.

The beneficiaries are the DPO of Afam Police Division, CSP  Endurance Worgu and his counterpart at Oyigbo Police Division, CSP Bello Yusuf.

CSP Worgu was honoured by a group of students under the aegis of Rivers State Graduate Students Associations for what they described as his commitment and outstanding performance in the discharge of his duties.

The students, led by  Chidi John Enyie, Esq. said CSP Worgu was selected based on his track record and status as one of the longest-serving young DPOs of Rivers State origin.

According to the group, CSP Worgu has made significant contributions to the protection of lives and property in the area since assuming office following the #EndSARS period.

The students said they were particularly impressed by the improvement in community-police relations under his leadership, noting that professionalism had remained a key feature of his service.

Enyie represented by Comrade Briggs Soku, said the students community was pleased to identify with a Rivers indigene who had distinguished himself in the police force.

He said the students considered it necessary to encourage and celebrate CSP Worgu because of his achievements as a young Rivers man excelling in a profession that many people from the state were often reluctant to join.

Receiving the award at his office in Afam, CSP Worgu expressed gratitude to God and the students for finding him worthy of the honour.

The DPO said the recognition had boosted his morale and encouraged him to sustain his efforts towards maintaining peace and security in the area.

He said he least expected the honour, particularly because it came from the students, adding that the recognition would further motivate him to serve the people better.

CSP Worgu assured residents of Afam that the police would sustain the existing peace in the area.

He appealed to members of the public to support the police by providing credible and timely information, stressing that useful information from residents would make the job of security personnel easier.

Meanwhile, the Ikwerre/Etche Media Association has also honoured the DPO of Oyigbo Police Division, CSP Bello Yusuf, for his efforts in tackling criminal activities in the area.

The media group presented the award following the swift tracking and arrest of five suspected kidnappers who had allegedly terrorised residents of the Kom-Kom axis and other parts of Oyigbo.

The group commended CSP Bello for what it described as his determined efforts to restore confidence and security in the affected communities, particularly Kom-Kom and Obeama.

According to the group, the arrest of the suspects demonstrated the DPO’s commitment to tackling criminality and safeguarding residents.

The media association said residents had received the development with relief, noting that the police action had sent a strong message to criminal elements operating in the area.

Responding, CSP Yusuf appreciated the group for the recognition and reaffirmed that there would be no room for criminality in Oyigbo.

He also commended the media for its role in disseminating credible information to the public, saying the media had remained supportive of the police in the fight against crime.

CSP Yusuf warned criminal elements operating in Oyigbo to leave the area or be prepared to face the full weight of the law.

He assured residents that the police would continue to pursue criminals and work to dismantle their hideouts, regardless of where they might be operating.

Continue Reading

News

College Of Bishops Endorses Tinubu, APC Candidates  For 2027 Polls

Published

on

The 5000 Achievers Christian Forum and Colleges of Bishops, Archbishops and Apostles, a Christian interdenominational organisation, has endorsed President Bola Ahmed Tinubu and all candidates of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Rivers State for the 2027 general elections.

International President of the forum, Archbishop Lucky Aroh, disclosed this during the ordination and consecration of three new Bishops, as well as an award ceremony held in Port Harcourt.

Aroh said the performance of the APC-led Federal Government had endeared the party to the organisation, prompting the forum to declare its support for President Tinubu and other APC candidates in Rivers State.

He said the forum would support all APC candidates in the state during the 2027 elections and urged Nigerians to vote for the party.

Aroh, who is also the General Overseer of Caring Peoples Church, Port Harcourt, charged the newly consecrated Bishops to see their new positions as a great responsibility and dedicate themselves to the advancement of the kingdom of God.

He cautioned them against conduct capable of bringing their offices into disrepute, stressing that their activities would be closely watched by members of the public.

“As Bishops, the eyes of the public are on your activities. You must therefore conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of your calling,” he said.

Also speaking, the International Coordinator of the forum, Bishop Saint Robinson, urged the newly consecrated Bishops to work diligently towards winning souls for the kingdom of God.

Robinson, who was the guest speaker at the event, stressed that the activities of Bishops must at all times be guided by godly principles.

He also called on members of the church to support and cooperate with the newly consecrated Bishops in the discharge of their responsibilities.

The Secretary of the College, Apostle Elizabeth Ayadi Abaye, said the organisation was established to advance the kingdom of God and promote spiritual development.

According to her, the forum has organised several crusades, conferences, prayer meetings, ordinations, consecrations, enthronements, empowerment programmes and other spiritual development activities across the country as part of efforts to win souls for Christ.

Abaye said the organisation has members across the world and disclosed that more programmes had been scheduled to promote the spiritual development and wellbeing of humanity.

The three Bishops consecrated at the ceremony were Prince Alban Chike, Testimony Omenihu Shedrach and Prince Ifemena.

Among those honoured at the event were the Chairman of the Community Development Committee (CDC), Abali Community, Port Harcourt City Local Government Area, Manuchimso Prince Lemmy Wopara, and Clifford Oko Jaja, Coordinator of the 5,000 House-to-House for President Tinubu.

By: John Bibor

Continue Reading

News

Police Arrest Fake Soldier, Others For Armed Robbery, Kidnapping

Published

on

The Rivers State Police Command has arrested a 49-year-old suspected fake soldier, Andrew Atausi, and several other suspects in connection with various criminal activities, including kidnapping, armed robbery, cultism, one-chance robbery and the alleged murder of police officers.

The State Commissioner of Police, CP Olugbenga Adepoju, disclosed this in Port Harcourt, recently during a press briefing at the Command Headquarters, where he said the arrests formed part of the operational achievements recorded by the Command between June and August 2026.

Adepoju said Atausi was arrested on August 10 by police operatives along Ada George, Port Harcourt, while dressed in military uniform and driving a Toyota Hilux painted in Army colours.

The Commissioner said investigation revealed that Atausi was not a member of the Armed Forces, adding that he was suspected to be a serial car snatcher, with three suspected stolen vehicles recovered from him.

He said the recovered vehicles included three Toyota Hilux vehicles without registration numbers and a Toyota Corona Premio with registration number BNY 380 ES, noting that the chassis and engine numbers of the vehicles had allegedly been tampered with.

Adepoju added that an axe and military accoutrements were also recovered from Atausi, as investigation continued into the circumstances surrounding the vehicles and other items recovered from him.

On the June 29 attack on police officers at Aluu Division, the Commissioner said three members of the gang allegedly responsible for the incident had been arrested by operatives of the Violent Crime Response Unit, VCRU-AKU.

The suspects, identified as Maduabuchi Emeka, 34, alleged gang leader; Doctor Chinedu Owhor, 42, and Kamachi Joe, 28, alleged armourer, reportedly led operatives to their hideout at Omagwa where two AK-47 rifles stolen during the attack were recovered.

Adepoju recalled that two police officers were killed during the Aluu attack, while others were wounded and one officer had his leg amputated, stressing that efforts were ongoing to apprehend the fourth suspect.

On kidnapping, the Commissioner said five members of a suspected kidnapping syndicate were arrested in Oyigbo Local Government Area, adding that they allegedly confessed to operations in Kom-Kom, Railway, Obeama and Afam communities.

He said two other suspects from the same network, Anele Ogbogu, 35, alleged to be the gang’s armourer, and Kenneth Eke, 38, were arrested on July 27, with one AK-47 rifle and one SMG rifle recovered.

The Commissioner further disclosed the arrest of suspects in connection with alleged firearm offences, armed robbery, cultism and one-chance robbery, with firearms, ammunition and other exhibits recovered during the operations.

Adepoju assured residents that the Command would sustain intelligence-led, proactive and community-oriented policing in collaboration with other security agencies, while urging members of the public to continue providing credible information that would assist the police in combating crime across Rivers State.

By; King Onunwor

Continue Reading

Trending