Connect with us

Nation

NBA Calls For Removal Of Abia CP

Published

on

Nigeria Bar Association (NBA), Umuahia branch, has called on the Inspector-General of Police (IGP), Mr. Ogbonna Onovo, to redeploy Abia State Commissioner of Police, Mr. Jonathan Johnson, from the state for alleged disobedience to court orders.

 The Umahia Branch NBA chairman, Amanze Chioma made the call  at a Press briefing  in Umuahia, Thursday.

 He said  that Jonathan’s continued stay in Abia State would breed anarchy as his “penchant” to disobey court orders would create room for a lawless society.

 Chioma also presented the petition of the NBA to the IGP, urging him to call the Abia CP to order by asking him to obey court orders.

 The Umuahia branch NBA chairman said that disobedience to court orders would only create anarchy and lawlessness, adding that in such a society, anybody could be a victim.

 The group, in its three-page petition to the IGP dated April 6, 2010 and endorsed by the chairman, Chioma and Secretary, Chief Eze Ihekoronye, gave three instances of alleged disobedience to orders of court by the Abia Commissioner of Police.

 According to the NBA, a Magistrate granted bail to one Nze Jossy Nnoduechi in Charge No. U/55C/2009 on December 15, 2009, and after the bail conditions had been perfected, he was released but the CP gave orders for his arrest shortly afterwards on the grounds that the court lacked the jurisdiction to grant the accused person bail in that matter.

 The NBA also stated that in Suit No. HU/73/2010, an applicant, Sunday John, was granted bail on March 8, 2010. Rather than obey the order after being served, NBA alleged that Johnson hurriedly charged Sunday to a Magistrate Court , six days after being with the Orders of Court and the applicant was remanded at the Federal Prisons in Afara, Umuahia.

 Furthermore, the group said that in Suit No.FHC/UM/M/03/2010, the presiding Judge, Justice E.A.Obile ordered the release of one Paschal C. Nwakanma. When Johnson was served with the  Order, he ordered for the arrest of the counsel in that matter, Mr U.R.Ndubuka. They stated that NBA had to intervene to save him.

 “Sir, these are very few glaring examples of the continued disobedience to Orders of Court by Mr Jonathan Johnson in Abia State . The unrepentant and ever growing addiction to disregard court orders by the Commissioner of Police is a daunting challenge to the administration of justice and shameful confrontation to the Rule of Law,” part of the petition read.

 The NBA wrote further: “Sir, while we may approve of calls by the public to prosecute Mr Jonathan Johnson over several disobedience to Court Orders, it is imperative to advise him to desist from his unconscionable policy of detaining persons whose freedom has been declared by the court of Law.

 “Jonathan Johnson’s attitude is a stubborn and recurrent problem in access to justice and Rule of Law in a democratic polity and we condemn it and urge you to call him to order in the interest of justice or he may face the wrath of the law he sought to destroy by his worrisome and continued disobedience to Court Orders.”

 Reacting, Johnson denied ever disobeying any Order of Court. “I, Jonathan Johnson, I have never, never disobeyed any court orders,” he said as he challenged his accusers to prove their claim.

 The Police Commissioner maintained that the NBA has never served him with any court orders or brought his attention to any that has been served on him and he disobeyed same. “Has the NBA chairman ever called me to say Commissioner, you have disobeyed a court order,” he asked.

 With this development, Jonathan is the third CP whose removal from Abia was being sought.The first was CP Emmanuel Ezeozue on who the state House of Assembly passed a resolution, calling on the IGP to redeploy because he could not contain the onslaught of Kidnappers.

Same for Edgar Tam  Nanakumo, who succeeded Ezeozue. Nanakumo also was apparently overwhelmed by the activities of Kidnappers. Johnson succeeded Nankumo.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Continue Reading

Nation

SEAMATA Condemns Inport Duty Increment On Cargo

Published

on

Members of the the South East Amalgamated Markets Traders Association (SEAMATA) have strongly criticised and rejected the recent astronomical and indiscriminate increment in the import duty on cargoes charged by Nigerian Customs.
SEAMATA is the umbrella union of traders in all the markets in the South-East Geo-political Zone and traders of South-East extraction doing business across the states in the Federation and in Diaspora.
This is contained in a statement jointly signed by SEAMATA’s President General, Chief Gozie Akudolu and its Secretary General, Mr Alex Okwudiri, in Enugu yesterday.
According to them, the Nigerian Customs introduced a method of working out import duty payment on goods and set out a particular minimum amount payable for each 40ft container.
The statement noted that items with the least percentage tariff of five per cent are not even spared.
The  current import duties, the statement further regretted, are no longer calculated based on invoice value of consignments.
”Between 2020 and now, the amount charged on cargoes as import duties have risen in geometric proportion from N750,000 to N2 million, again to N3 million and presently, to N3.3 million for 40ft containers; while 20ft containers jumped to N1.8 million.
”The Nigerian Customs on their own, work out payable import duty now based on “estimated” invoice value of consignment as against the actual invoice value of goods from the country of origin.
”This development is not only bringing untold hardships to importers but is also compounding the pains of the citizens as it dovetailed to astronomical increase in prices of imported goods as the Nigerian Customs estimated invoice value is always far above the actual cost of the imports.
”The indiscriminate estimate of value of goods by Nigerian Customs is adversely affecting the prices of goods in the markets today both imported and locally produced as it triggered a chain reaction.
”Even agricultural products are not spared in the chain effect of the price increase.
”In the general meeting held in Onitsha on Wednesday, Nov. 24, 2021, the traders resolved to very strongly condemn and reject the increment.
”We are appealing to the Honourable Minister of Finance, Budget and National Planning to prevail on the Nigerian Customs to, as a matter of urgency, suspend the exercise.
”This is to save the Nigerian citizens from further economic hardships as further economic pains that follow such situations could lead to social unrest which our nation doesn’t need now”.
The statement also prayed and expected that the appeal of the traders would be favourably considered in the overall interest of the masses across the country. 7Ends.

By: Canice Amadi, Enugu

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Continue Reading

Nation

Kaduna SUBEB To Sack 233 Teachers Over Fake Certificates

Published

on

Chairman of the Kaduna State Universal Basic Education Board (KADSUBEB), Alhaji Tijjani Abdullahi, on Thursday, hinted that 233 primary school teachers have been pencilled down for dismissal for gaining employment with fake certificates.
Abdullahi, who spoke at a press conference in Kaduna yesterday, further noted that for the Board to be sure that the newly-employed teachers have the requisite qualifications, it went into secret verification of their credentials from various institutions attended.
According to him, the board has already verified 451 institutions they claimed to have attended, but only nine of them have responded so far.
He further added that the responses from the institutions showed that 233 teachers presented fake certificates.
He added that one of the institutions disowned 212 of the 233 fake certificates, adding that, the board would forward their files to the Ministry of Justice to initiate prosecution for forgery.
A visibly shaken Abdullahi noted that the Board will continue to check the integrity of the certificates presented by teachers to ensure that the teaching profession is not devalued by impostors.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Continue Reading

Nation

How I Delivered 125 Children After Govt Hospitals Rejected Us -Woman Leader

Published

on

Women leader of the Internally Displaced Persons, Durumi camp, Garki Abuja, Mrs Liyatu Ayuba, has narrated how she became a midwife in the camp following rejection of their pregnant members in government hospitals.
The women leader, who was displaced from Borno State after the Boko Haram insurgents killed her husband in 2015, revealed that she has successfully assisted in delivering about 125 children in the camp.
Speaking with The Tide source in the camp, Mrs Liyatu alleged that the National Hospital, Abuja, and other government medical facilities had denied their pregnant members access to medical care following their inability to pay bills.
According to her, a lady in the camp who needed a cesarean section died in the National Hospital after they were unable to pay for the operation.
“Few years ago, a lady came to this camp and she was 7 months pregnant. She came barefoot with only a wrapper and she didn’t have a bacha (hut) so she was squatting on another person’s own.
“The next three days, she was in labour and we took her to the National Hospital in Abuja here and we were told to bring 100,000 but we told them that we do not have such money that they should please try and save her life.
“They said they can’t do anything, that we IDPs are disturbing them. That was how the woman and her baby died in the hospital. They even refused to release the corps for us because we could not pay,” they disclosed.
According to her, she was angered by the incident which prompted her into midwifery to save the lives of other women in the camp.
“I learnt how to be a midwife from my grandmother. I started delivering babies on January 2, 2015, so from that year till date, I have delivered a total of 125 babies in this camp,” she stated.
Liyatu told our source that she has been sensitizing households in the camp to embrace family planning due to lack of funds to train the children.
“I have been telling them that people who have four to five children should do family planning because we are facing a lot in this camp, we are not collecting salary.
“And these children are not going to school and women keep getting pregnant. God will hold us responsible for the children that we are bringing to this world without training them,” she noted.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Continue Reading

Trending