Connect with us

Politics

RSG To Build N10.1bn New Assembly Quarters

Published

on

Last week, the Rivers State Executive Council gave approval for the construction of a new House of Assembly Quarters. Disclosing this in a press briefing after the state exco meeting held last Friday, the state Commissioner for Housing, Elder Chinedu Tasie , said the new quarters which would be built at the same old site of the former Assembly Quarters  would cost the state Ten Billion, One Hundred Million Naira (N10. 1bn).
According to Tasie, the project which comprises of 32 number of four-bedroom duplexes with two rooms boys quarters attached to each of the duplexes as well as other modern features,  is to be handled by an indigenous firm, Lubriks Construction company and to be completed within the duration of 16 months.
The Honourable Commissioner for Information and Communications, Paulinus Nsirim, said the approval for the project is a further demonstration of the government’s determination to ensure that the legislative arm in the state enjoys decent accommodation and to also boost the synergy that exists between the two arms of government.
Through out last week, it was projects inauguration galore as the state government commissioned one project after the other from Monday till Saturday.
Top national political leaders across leading political parties graced the events with all eulogising the state Governor, Chief Nyesom Wike, for his infrastructural revolution in the state.
Among notable personalities that were in the state to commission the projects were the Bauchi State Governor, Senator Bala Mohammed, the Enugu State Governor, Dr Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi, Sokoto State Governor, Rt. Hon. Aminu Tambuwal, Senator Ike Ekweremadu and Senator Ali Ndume.
Governor Wike accused APC- led Federal Government of playing politics of deceit with the Ogoni- environment remediation programme recommended by the United Nations Environmental Programme (UNEP).
Speaking Tuesday, during the inauguration of the Saakpenwa-Bori Highway in Bori, Khana Local Government Area,  by the Governor of Enugu State, Dr. Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi, Gov. Wike said when elections draw nearer, Federal Government would come up with one pretext of the programme only to relax after the election.
He noted that Ogoni played a vital role in the economic development of Rivers State and the country, therefore, deserves a better treatment than what the Federal Government currently offers the area.
After the non-stop inauguration of projects last week which involved about seven local government areas of the state, the state government has again announced that more five legacy projects executed by the Gov. Wike- led government would be unveiled this week in four local government areas of the state.
This has proved critics wrong who allege that Gov. Wike executes only projects in Port Harcourt and Obio/Akpor local government areas at the detriment of other local government areas in the state.
According to a release by the Honourable Commissioner for Information and Communications, Paulinus Nsirim, on Monday, January 11, 2021 Rumuche-Rumuakunde-Oha Awuse Road, in Emohua Local Government Area would be commissioned.
On Tuesday January 12, Rumuekini-Alu Road in Obio/Akpor and Ikwerre Local Government Areas will be commissioned, while on Wednesday January 13, the phase two of Isiokpo Internal Roads in Ikwerre Local Government Area would be commissioned.
The release further stated that on Thursday, January 14, the Isiodu Road in Emohua Local Government Area will be commissioned and inauguration activities for the week will round off Saturday with the commissioning of Bolo Internal Roads in Ogu/ Bolo Local Government Area.
The Rivers State Taskforce on Street Trading and Illegal Motor Parks swung into action Monday last week. The streets of Port Harcourt and Obio/Akpor Local Government Areas particularly were very orderly, as street traders and operators of illegal motor parks observed the state government’s ban.

The new coordinator of the Taskforce, DSP Felix Nwadibeyi  (rtd) stated that his team commenced operations last Monday by first patrolling the streets of Port Harcourt and Obio/Akpor aocal government areas to sensitise the public on the need to obey  government ban on street trading, illegal motor parks, taxi ranks and mechanic work places .

Another event last week in Brick House was the Juma’at Special Prayer held Friday at the Central Mosque, NNS Pathfinder, Rumuolumeni, Obio/Akpor Local Government Area, as part of events marking the 2021 Armed Forces Remembrance Day celebration.

Gov Wike reassured the Nigerian Armed Forces and other security agencies of the continued support of the state government in their mandate of protecting lives and property.

The Rivers State Chief Executive who was represented by his Special Assistant on Schools Sports, Chief Aribitonye Mohammed Okiri recalled the numerous support of the state government to ex- serviceman and reiterated his administration’s determination to sustain the support.

He enjoined other members of the public to give support to the families of our brave soldiers who died in the course of defending the nation.

 

By: Chris Oluoh

Continue Reading

Politics

2023: Wike’ll Not Foist Successor – Akawor

Published

on

Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party(PDP) in Rivers State, Ambassador Desmond Akawor says the Governor Nyesom Wike will not impose any successor in the state.
He gave the assurance when he appeared on a radio programme tagged “Viewpoint” in Port Harcourt at the weekend.
The PDP chairman said the process of succession would be open to all the party members and stakeholders.
In his words,” the governor has made it clear that he cannot on his own decide who is going to succeed him. He runs a collegiate system and for now the time has not come.”
With a hitch- free local government elections concluded, Akawor noted that it was a prelude of what would obtain in 2023 as the PDP will consolidate its stronghold in Rivers State.
“ We believe that in 2023 we will tell Rivers people what we have done and not what we will do. There is no local government area that the governor has not completed up to two projects,” he remarked.
On the alleged furore between Wike and PDP National Chairman, Prince Uche Secondus, the State PDP chairman said such claims were mere insinuations and not true.
He recalled that at a recent party function Wike and Secondus were seen together, and wondered where such stories were coming from.
Besides that, Akawor was of the view that disagreements were bound to happen in politics ,but that there was no love lost among the leaders currently.
He flaked the opposition for fanning embers of disunity amongst the people through propaganda which often pointed the state in bad light and discouraged investors.
Akawor called for continued support for the present administration in the state considering the huge investment on infrastructure and other sectors to boost the economy.

By: Kevin Nengia

Continue Reading

Politics

PDP Berates Kogi Gov

Published

on

The National Publicity Secretary of the Peoples Democratic Party, Kola Ologbondiyan, says Governor Yahaya Bello of Kogi State cannot point to any development project he implemented for the benefit of the people.
A statement signed by the Assistant Director (Head of Unit) Publicity Department of PDP, Richard Ihediwa, and made available to newsmen yesterday quoted Ologbondiyan as having said this during his tour of PDP formations in the state at the weekend.
He lamented that Governor  Bello had “turned Kogi into the most backward state in the country, with infrastructural decay.”
“Yahaya Bello has done absolutely nothing to merit any form of commendation,” Ologbondiyan  insisted.
He urged Bello to “utilise the resources of the people of Kogi State for their benefit, including infrastructural recovery as well as paying workers and pensioners.”
However, the state Commissioner for information, Kingsley Fanwo, while reacting to the statement, said that the state government did not need to react when his Kabba people are already pointing to the massive road constructions in his home town.
He described Ologbondiyans statement as “reckless and false” who does not deserve the luxury of response from a serious government whose own people have seen the massive works going on in that part of the state and others.
“We thank his people in Kabba for coming out to point to the recklessly false statement by Ologbondiyan.
“His party recently said they were afraid of GYB ahead of 2023. So, they have possibly started hatching their plans. Unfortunately, they have started on a wrong note,” Fanwo noted.
“Continuing, he said, “When PDP was in power in Kogi, a governor refused to put electricity in his home town. GYB did it.
“In Ologbodiyan’s Senatorial District, GYB established the best rice mill in Nigeria, apart from other infrastructure like roads, schools, hospitals, water facilities and others.
“Today, over 200 communities are to be connected to the national grid in Kogi East in the next couple of months, as the project has reached 95 percent completion.
“Look at the massive road projects in Kabba, Omala, Olamaboro, Okene as well as healthcare infrastructure springing up everywhere.
“The Ganaja Junction Flyover is emerging into a masterpiece. We sympathise with Kola Ologbondiyan and his sinking party.
“Yahaya Bello has done and also doing what their parties failed to do over the years.”

Continue Reading

Politics

Soludo: ‘INEC Must Redeem Self’

Published

on

The All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA) has urged the  Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to redeem itself and recognise  ‘legitimate’ candidates of the party in the November 6 governorship election.
National Chairman of the party, Mr Victor Oye , who made the call on Saturday while briefing newsmen in Abuja  said that there was only one APGA,  which was led by him, with Labaran Maku as National Secretary.
The Tide reports that INEC had originally received  the names of Chukwuma Soludo and his running mate, Mr Onyekachi Ibezim as candidates of APGA.
However, citing a court ruling, the electoral umpire dropped the names and replaced them with Chukwuma Umeoji and Obiageli Orogbu as the new candidates of APGA.
Reacting to the development, the APGA national chairman faulted the action of INEC in  recognising an illegal body and illegal candidates.
He said that the party was one, had no faction and its leadership which came on board in May 2019 was the legitimate body of APGA at the national level.
“Our leadership was duly elected on May 31, 2019, in a well organised national convention in Awka, and  attended by all the organs of the party expected to be at the convention.
“On the roll, we have 608 members of NEC but what you saw on June 25 was a contraction, they gathered men and women from the streets not up to 50 and they called it NEC meeting .
“Again, what INEC did, we were the first political party that uploaded the particulars of our governorship candidate and deputy to INEC on July 2, in accordance with the electoral act.
“According to section 313, of the electoral Act 2010 as amended, INEC is expected to have published that name within seven days of uploading of those particulars but they waited till July 15, 13 days after to concoct what they did on July 16, 2021.
“For me, the only way INEC can redeem their image is to reverse itself immediately, they should not wait for one minute.
“After all, there is a court judgment from Awka that has given them a soft landing, the judgment from Awka was very clear .
“The judgment solved all the legal puzzles you could ever think of, so what is holding INEC from implementing that,” he said.
He expressed hope that INEC in its proposed meeting on Tuesday, would reverse itself and recognise the right candidates.
Oye used the opportunity to stress that there was no crisis in the party, adding that APGA remained one and united.
He described those parading as a faction of the party as mere invaders.
“The thing is that we have  invaders, they invaded our party, street urchins ‘with a master plan to destroy the party for the benefit of a particular aspirant’.
He said the aspirant in question had bought forms, attended the screening and was screened out, wrote a petition which was dismissed before resorting to forming a phantom group which he called the opposition of APGA.
“APGA has no other national chairman and no other national leadership except the one led by me as national chairman and his Mr Labaran Maku as the National Secretary.
“No other faction so to speak has the right, constitutional, legal or legitimate right to speak for our party.
“So the truth of the matter is that, out party is waxing stronger and stronger despite the distractions because the whole essence of what is happening is to distract us from focusing on victory in Anambra.
“They know that a united and undistracted APGA will win the election massively, they knew what happened in 2017 so they are afraid it will be  repeated in 2021,” he said.
The APGA chairman, however, stressed that the party was taking due steps to ensure the right thing was done by INEC.
He said  the party under his leadership had served INEC the court order which he noted that the commission had minuted to the relevant quarters.
“We have also written the Chairman of INEC, drawing his attention, calling all the legal odysseys, we had embarked upon from 2019 till date.
“Do not forget that we have a subsisting court judgment flowing from the Anambra Judiciary Awka division,” he said.
“The judgment was given in November 2019, giving the legality to the national convention conducted by our party that the convention that produced us as national officers of the
party, held on May 31, 2019.
“Why did INEC not bank on that judgment to publish the names of our candidates, Prof. Chukwuma Soludo and his deputy Dr Onyeakachi Ibezim.
“Why should INEC consider a judgment from Birnin Kudu Jigawa, 9,046 kilo meters from Akwa.
“That judgment did not say anything about me, the judgment was talking about Edozie Njoku. So the court sacked Edozie Njoku, it did not sack me. Edozie Njoku has never been the national chairman of APGA .
“There was a court order from Federal High court Awka, directing INEC to maintain the status quo and publish Soludo’s name as given to it on July 2, 2021 but INEC did not obey that court order.
“We served INEC the court judgment from Awka on November 2020, it did not obey it. INEC must do the right thing and publish the names of  legitimate candidates of the party,” he said.

Continue Reading

Trending