The dream of every upcoming artiste is to be signed to one of the biggest Record Labels as a stepping stone towards achieving stardom. In Nigeria there are various record labels ruling the music industry among which are the top 10 biggest and richest record labels in their descending order of prominence. They include the following:
10) Chocolate City Record Label: The Chocolate City Record label under the leadership of M. I. Abaga was founded in 2005. The record label has produced several acts like Jesse Jagz M.I. Ice Prince, Brymo etc. It is currently housing young talents like C. Key, Blagbonez, Dice Ailes and Young L.
9) DM Records: Timaya and his label executives have made an amazing impact following the signing of King Perrgy, gifting the young star the right management and funding he deserves to record a massive hit with Teni lifted ‘Murder’. Since then the label has been moving from strength to strength.
Timaya on the other hand served us the Chulo Vibes. EP. DM records with just two years in existence has done pretty good.
8) Pent Hauze: With over five awards, four studio albums and the 2019 endorsement with Tom Tom, Phyno has positively led Pent Hauze to glory. After signing Nuno, Rhatti and Cheque, Pent Hauze dropped 2019 singles, The ‘Big’ and ‘Agu’ with Phyno’s Third studio album ‘Deal With It’ as a solo act. Pent Hauze debuts as one of the biggest and richest record labels in Nigeria.
7) Star Boy Entertainment: Star Boy Fan Club (FC) won’t agree less that Wizkid Entertainment has dropped just three singles in 2019 ‘On Me’, ‘Same You’ and ‘Won Stop’ by Teni. The label has not had any single from Wizkid to further boost the brand. This year as Terri has once again failed to take up the mantle for star boy entertainment as he keeps living under Wizkid’s Shadows. Wizkid with a new endorsement deal with United Bank For Africa (UBA) bagged in some millions for the record label.
6) Effyzzie Music Group: Nigeria’s Effyzzie music group has proven to be a renowned music firm after releasing Yemi Alade’s ‘King Queens’ debut album in 2014 and Johnny The record label has since then led ‘Yemi Alade to her 4th Studio album ‘Woman of Steel’ in 2019 and two MTV Africa Awards in 2015 and 2016.
Effyzzie music group has recorded a massive success with Yemi Alade and thus becomes one of the biggest and richest- record labels.
5) Dr Dolor Entertainment: Teni is today a household name, courtesy of Dr. Dolor Entertainment. The record label led the talented singer and song writer, Teni to three awards in 2018 (including the headies) award and a 2019 BET awards nomination.
Teni as the lead act of the film joined the record label in 2017 and has since then bagged amazing endorsement deals with Pepsi Nigeria, Budweiser, Tom Tom and Tecno Mobile. Dr. Dolor is the fifth biggest and richest record labels in 2019.
4) YBNL: Olamide’s YBNL which birthed in 2012 is the 4th biggest and richest record label on Nigeria 2019. YBNL has been topping charts on every media and streaming platforms with 2019 singles ‘Oil and Gas’ from Olamide and Fireboy’s “Jealous” and “What 41 Say”.
With a new found talent, YBNL retains its lead as one of the greatest record labels in the country. Fireboy, who Was signed in October 2018, recently earned an AFRIMA nomination.
3)Spaceship Entertainment: Spaceship Entertainment birthed in 2015 by Africa’s most sensational act Burna Boy couldn’t have missed the list. Burna Boy and Spaceship Entertainment have gradually risen to the top from almost noting.
With 7 individual awards, including the most recent BET International award and his 3rd studio album under his own imprint. Spaceship entertainment, Burna Boy have successfully branded and sold his label to the world.
2) Mavin Record: Don Jazzy led Mavin Records resurrected in 2019 after losing Tiwa Savage, Reekado Banks to Universal Music and Bank Music earlier in 2019. The record label found their saviour in Rema, who hasn’t just restored the label’s glory but has gone already to break several records with the label with hit singles like ‘Dumebi’ and ‘Iron Man’. By Rema, it houses artists like Ladi, Poe, DNA, Cray on, Johnny Drille etc with a multi million naira investment deal from Pupanga Holdings, Mavin retains its spot as one of the biggest and richest record labels in the county.
1) DMW Entertainment: Davido music world wide (DMW) had displaced Mavin records in 2019, taking the crown as the biggest and richest record label in Nigeria. DMW boss Davido, discovered Mayorkan in 2016 and handed him his first ever concert ‘Mayor of Lagos’ within two years.
DMW gifts Dremo, his second EP following his success on his debut EP Code name VOI 1 barely 10 months after joining the reputable record label.
In 2019, DMW had dropped two hit singles as label, ‘BUM BUM’ and ‘Only God’ making her the only label with seven singles and Visaals Twisted, prayer, Aze, ‘mind’ and Azu without going further.
Nollywood Actors, Actresses Lead EndSARS Protests
Top Nigerian entertainers have been lending their voices to the endSARS protests in Nigeria. In the eleven days since the protest commenced, top Nigerian entertainers have made major moves in ensuring that their voices are in solidarity not just with the protesters, but against the system needing reform.
In no particular order, here is a list of Nollywood stars actively protesting.
Genevieve Nnaji: The revered film maker has been very vocal about her stand on the protests since its inception days ago.So far, she has remained active on twitter with tweets reiterating the demands of the people. In addition, the actress wrote an open letter to President Muhammadu Buhari.
Toyin Abraham : After her daylong episode with aggrieved twitter users, the actress took to the streets of Ibadan where she is currently filming to speak up against police brutality, but it doesn’t end in the streets for Abraham. The actress has been actively sharing air time to online protesters. Recently, she engaged NIDCOM chairperson, Abike Dabiri via twitter on Nigerians in Cairo, who were arrested for protesting.
Let the whole world know that the peaceful protesters in Cairo were arrested by Nigerian Embassy, another case of you people failed us again.
Ken Erics: Amid the actor’s offline and online protests,he has been very vocal about his personal experience with officers of the now defunct Special Anti Robbery Squad (SARS) as a youth corp member. The actor shared on Facebook how he was arrested and detained for one week and how the trauma nearly ruined his life.
Omoni Oboli,Uche Jombo and Chioma Akpotha: It has been the whole nine yards for the colleagues turned close friends since the protests began, the actresses have taken to sensitising market women protesting at popular spots and providing funded refreshments for protesters.
Kate Henshaw : From joining other protesters at major protest spots, Henshaw has also lent her resources to supporting the online protests with tweets, retweets and Free airtime for users.
Funke Akindele-Bello: While the filmmaker has been quite vocal, she has also taken the extra step to provide online protesters with airtime.
Richard Mofe Damijo (RMD):The veteran actor is currently flooding his Instagram account with useful information on the SARS protests
Nollywood Epic: Rise Of The Saints Debuts In Cinemas
Tosin Olateru’s directorial debut, Rise Of The Saints is currently screening in cinemas nation wide. Apart from it being Olateru’s directorial debut, it is also the feature film debut of the leading man, Tele Kup-onyi, the actor who plays Luke, the reincarnated son of Moreno Ajasoro.
The flick gives a fictitious spin to the story of Yoruba’s revered princess who sacrificed herself for her subjects, her prophesed son is manifest in Luke, a Young aspiring musician orphaned at birth and raised by his aunt.
Luke is suddenly plunged into a battle of two worlds of light and darkness. He joins forces with The Sa, a group of people charged with the duty of protecting the legacy of Moreno and together, they must employ all their wits to defeat the ferocious war lord, Jagan.
Amid all, Luke has no choice but to take the biggest test of his life, chose between a destiny of honour or his dazzling dream of music and fame.
A fictional story of a man’s struggle to succeed against the evil that plagues him, the project is motivated by the determination to make a change in the psyche of the youth in our society. It hopes to accomplish this by showing through the movie that despite the circumstances around, we can thrive and achieve no matter how big.
Produced by Bolanle Olasunde, Rise Of The Saints features great stars like Peter Fatomilo, Rachel Oniga and Tina Mba, among others.
James Bond’s Movie, No Time To Die Returns
The new James Bond’s movie, No Time To Die, recently became the latest blockbuster to be pushed into next year as the movie industry struggles to get back to business amid coronavirus pandemic.
Bond’s exit leaves Wonder Woman 1964 currently set to debut in December on Christmas day as one of the few big movies still on the 2020 slate. Other big budget flicks including Marvel’s Black Widow and a top gun sequel also have been delayed until next year.
‘No Time To Die’ from MGM and Comcast corp’s universal pictures originally was set to hit the big screen in April 2020, before being delayed until November. The new date is April 2,2021.A fast and furious sequel scheduled for that date was moved to May 28,2021.
The movie studios and producers, Michael G.Wilson and Babara Broceli said the bond, film was delayed in order to be seen by a world wide theatrical audience.
“ We understand the delay will be disappointing to our fans, but we now look forward to sharing ‘No Time To Die’ next year, they said on official James Bond’s twitter account.
The decision follows a disappointing effort to set Americans back into multiplexes after the pandemic shuttered cinemas world wide in March. While AMC entertainment Cine world PLC and others have re- opened, many locations and crowds have been seen in theatres in many markets of New York and Los Angeles remain shut.
Studios are having to continually confront the hard facts of a very challenging market place, said Cormscore senior media analyst, Paid Dergatabedian. But he added that the Bond delay showed that producers believe theatres were preferred destinations for the film.
Some movies have skipped theatres and headed straight to streaming services, the Bond franchise is one of the world’s most lucrative with 2015’s Spectre raking in $ 880 million at the box office world wide, while Skyfall in 2020 grossed more than $ 1 billion globally.
‘No Time To Die’ which cost an estimated $ 200 million to produce, marks actor Daniel Craig’s last outing as agent 007.
- Niger Delta4 days ago
Police Confirm Attacks On Oyigbo, Mile One Police Stations In Rivers
- Entertainment4 days ago
Reactions As Reekado Banks Unfollows Wizkid On Instagram
- Politics4 days ago
2023 : Why APC Will Lose Rivers Again
- Sports4 days ago
Federation Seeks Inclusion Of Para-Soccer In NSF
- Sports4 days ago
Ajunwa Wants Her Record Broken
- Sports4 days ago
FIFA Ranking: Nigeria Drops By Three Spots, Now World 32nd
- Entertainment4 days ago
RunTown Receives Death Threats Over EndSARS Protests
- Women4 days ago
What To Know About Tom-Brown