Three prominent sons of Rivers State, including the current Commissioner for Education, Prof. Kaniye Ebeku and former Deputy Governor of the State, Sir Gabriel Toby have lauded the State Head of Service, Rufus Godwins for his book on discipline in the Nigerian Civil Service unveiled in Port Harcourt recently.
Prof. Ebeku who was the book reviewer says the 292 page work was properly written and well researched, ‘and must be regarded as an important addition to the literature of civil servants in Nigeria, saying, “in fact it stands out as the first book to be written by a Nigerian lawyer on the subject of discipline of civil servants in Nigeria.”
The commissioner said the work entitled ‘A Handbook on Discipline of Civil Servants in Nigeria’ basically elaborates the dos and don’ts in the civil service, the disciplinary procedures and associated matters, describing Godwins as a gentleman par excellence, an intellectual giant and a flamboyant lawyer, adding that the author was his classmate at the now Rivers State University (RSU) Law graduating class of 1985 and close friend, saying “He Godwins is affirmation of confidence, a man of excellence and impact.
On his part, former deputy governor of the state, Sir Gabriel Toby lauded the author for the well-researched work which he said was a compendium of the civil service rules, the constitution and judicial pronouncements.
Toby further said, “Discipline is the bedrock on which the civil service itself thrives, any community, any nation cannot stand without discipline. On the other hand of course indiscipline is a veritable drag of progress and development and it destroys vision and mission. Indiscipline is an obstruction to achievements.”, just as he recommended the book to all.
Chairman of the occasion and former President of the Nigeria Bar Association (NBA), Onueze Okocha congratulated Rufus Godwins for his work, describing the HOS as a ‘rising star who is still rising.’
Okocha who represented former Chief Judge of the State, Justice Iche Ndu further said, “It is my belief as many have believed that it (the book) will go a long way in helping the civil servants to understand their responsibilities and ensure that they discharge those responsibilities with honesty, dedication and integrity.
While endorsing the book, he said, “The book deals with discipline of the civil servants in Nigeria, particularly the ones in Rivers State. Many people take the rules of the Civil Service for granted. But on it as I know from my days as Attorney General defines all the items, all the rules and regulations which should be observed and performed strictly to the letter by those in the civil service.
“I came close to him (Rufus Godwin) first in 1990 when I have the pleasure to serve as the Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice of Rivers State. Those days were military regimes. And he was one of the rising stars in the ministry, I entrusted a huge, serious responsibilities to him because I had seen in him the ability to discharge his duties with seriousness, with dedication, honesty and integrity.
By: Dennis Naku
RSG Warns Owner Of Proudest Hotel To Stop Blackmailing NCDC
Our attention has been drawn to a recent misleading petition, signed by one Mr. Needam Promise Gogorobari, Owner, Prodest Hotel and dated 24th May 2020,
to the effect that the convicted Manager of Prodest Hotel, Mr. Bariledum Job Azoroh, who recently tested positive for Covid-19 disease amongst 27 others, in a result released by the National Centre for Disease Control, NCDC, may have allegedly been infected on the instructions of the Rivers State Government.
Much as we had restrained ourselves from responding to previous similar publications by this same person, since the subject matter was still before a court of competent jurisdiction, we are now compelled to reply this obviously spurious, deliberately misleading and intentionally provocative petition with a proper response, to set the records straight and caution the sponsors of this action from further pedlling such falsehoods in the public space.
For the avoidance of doubt and for the information of the general public, let us state categorically here that the FACTS of this matter are very clear, viz:
1. A Port Harcourt Senior Magistrates’ Court on May 18th, 2020 CONVICTED Mr. Bariledum Azoro, Manager of Prodest Hotel, Eleme and sentenced him to a fine of N50,000 for contravening paragraphs 3 and 4 of Executive Order RVSG 07 2020 on closure of hotels, guest houses and related outfits and provision of manifests in the state.
2. The Senior Magistrates’ Court also ordered that th convict,Mr. Azoroh should be quarantined at the Isolation Centre in Yakubu Gowon Stadium, Elekahia for 14 days to ascertain his coronavirus status.
3. That while in the Court Ordered Quarantine, competent health officials carried out mandatory tests on all suspected Coronavirus individuals at the centre, including Mr.Bariledum Job Azoroh, to ascertain their Covid-19 status.
It is important to state here that COVID-19 tests undergo World Health Organization, (WHO) and NCDC guidelines and are conducted under strict established medical protocols.
4. That prior to the publication of the test results, the owner of PRODEST Hotel Eleme, Mr. Gogorobari Needam had published one of his misleading petitions in an attempt to preempt the outcome of the test and the question we want to ask is: ‘Why did the hotel owner try to preempt the outcome of the test. Was he trying to cover up something?
5. That on Sunday, 24th May, 2020, the NCDC announced that Rivers State had 27 recorded positive cases including Mr.Bariledum Job Azoroh, from tests carried out in the state.
6. That following the official announcement of the result and confirmation of his Manager’s Covid-19 positive status, the PRODEST Hotel owner has once again released another statement and this time is now calling for a state of emergency in Rivers State because his manager tested positive for Covid-19.
7. Rivers people will recall that on May 19, 2020, we raised an alarm intimating the world of a clandestine plot by some Abuja politicians hiding under the cover of Covid-19 to instigate a State of Emergency in the state. Today, a hotel owner in Eleme, who lives in Lagos is also now calling for a State of Emergency. Is there any wonder therefore as to who is beating the drum for him?
8. Indeed there seems to be more to this than meets the ordinary eye and we are calling on all well-meaning people to see the need to interrogate this man and know that he is acting out a script. Infact, the entire petition sounds and reads like something lifted directly from the copy book of those who have been desperately trying to run down the Rivers State Government. This is desperation taken too far.
9. We even recall vividly that Mr. Needam Promise Gogorobari had, in an interview published in the Punch Newspaper of May 15, 2020 titled: “No ill feeling towards Wike for demolishing my hotel – Gogorobari”, actually stated categorically that he holds no grudge against Governor Wike for demolishing the hotel. His words: “Who am I not to forgive him? I don’t hold any grudge against him. I just feel that God wanted it to happen that way”. So what happened to make him change his mind? Is it not obvious that the agents of evil and those who do not mean well for Rivers State have reached him and are now beating this drum of dissent for him?
10. Again, We want to state categorically here that Government doesn’t conduct Covid-19 tests. Trained Health professionals follow the relevant medical protocols set down by WHO, the Federal Ministry of Health and the NCDC, to conduct these tests.
11. The claim therefore that the PRODEST Hotel manager, Mr. Bariledum Job Azoroh, was infected while in detention is not only laughable and preposterous, but sadly and dangerously exposes the amazing ignorance and naivety of Mr. Needam Promise Gogorobari and those sponsoring him about the deadly nature of the Covid-19 disease. How does one even carry such a deadly virus around and infect people with it?
12. Rather than commend the Rivers State Government for stemming the tide of infection that would have arisen if the Hotel used for clandestine parties was not demolished and the Manager arrested, the owner is crying wolf where there is none.
13. We also want to caution Mr. Needam Promise Gogorobari to be very mindful of his claims that his hotel Manager “has been framed up by an unorthodox hired medical officers recruited by Governor Wike with a report that he has tested positive to COVID-19 whilst in detention with the Rivers State Government”.
This is a clear accusation and indictment of the reputation and authority of the NCDC.
14 We also want to call the attention of Mr. Needam Gogorobari that we take exception to his description of the Isolation Centre in Port Harcourt, as an “illegal detention facility in Stadium, Elekahia, Port Harcourt” and to inform him and his sponsors that the Director General of NCDC, Dr. Chikwe Ihekweazu and a team from the World Health Organization, were in Rivers State on a working visit in April this year and not only praised Governor Nyesom Wike for his leadership and handling of the Covid-19 outbreak. but also applauded his medical health team and all the facilities put in place in response to the Coronavirus.
We will therefore be keen to know how the NCDC will react, when they read your description of a facility they approved, as ‘a detention centre’.
15. Finally, we want to assure the good people of the state that the Rivers State Government remains resolute in its fight to curtail the spread of COVID-19 in the state and we will not be deterred by cheap blackmail and misleading propaganda.
16 Governor Wike is determined to employ and deploy appropriate strategies to keep Rivers State safe.
17. We call on all residents to work together with the Governor to defeat Covid-19 in Rivers State and by the Grace of God we will be victorious.
Commissioner for Information and Communications
May 26, 2020
Banigo Felicitates With Justice Wike On Her Birthday
Rivers State Deputy Governor, Dr. Mrs. Ipalibo Harry Banigo has felicitated with the wife of the State Chief Executive Hon. Justice Eberechi Suzzette Nyesom Wike as she celebrates her birthday on Saturday, 23rd May, 2020.
In a statement from the Government House in Port Harcourt on Friday, 23rd May 2020, Dr. Banigo described Hon. Justice Wike as a humane and God fearing woman who is a great pillar of strength to our amiable Governor, Nyesom Ezenwo Wike.
While wishing her many happy returns the Deputy Governor prayed the Almighty God to continue to protect and bless Hon. Justice Eberechi Suzzette Nyesom Wike.
Former Nigeria President Jonathan Loses Foster Dad.
The family of former Nigerian President,Goodluck Jonathan and the Otuoke community of Ogbia Local Government Area of Bayelsa state has been thrown into mourning as the News of the sudden demise of Chief Nitabai Inegite,the former president’s foster father reached them.
Featured5 days ago
RSG Cancels Lockdown Of Obio/Akpor, Port Harcourt Local Government
Politics4 days ago
CROSIEC Deploys About 8,000 Personnel For LG Elections
Featured5 days ago
COVID-19 Decisions Are Taken By State Security Council – Governor Wike
Business4 days ago
COVID-19: Dockworkers/Seafarers Are Essential Workers, Exempted From Travel Restrictions, Says NIMASA
News5 days ago
RSG Warns Owner Of Proudest Hotel To Stop Blackmailing NCDC
Featured20 hours ago
RSG Debunks Rumours That Late LG Chairman’s Body Has Been Exhumed
Featured4 days ago
RIVERS Approves Review Of 2020 Budget
Featured2 days ago
Rivers Elders Commend Governor Wike For Consistent Delivery Of Critical Projects