Connect with us

News

Court Orders Army, SSS To Pay N10m Damages To Gashash

Published

on

A Federal High Court sitting in Kaduna presided over by Justice Zainab. L. Abubakar has ruled that the Nigerian Army and State Security Service (SSS) should pay a Kaduna-based businessman, Alhaji Ibrahim Mohammed Gashash the sum of N10 million as damage for violating his fundamental rights.
Briefing newsmen shortly after the ruling, yesterday, the Counsel to the applicant, Barrister Umar Magaji Na Rimi said, “The court had in its last sitting fixed Wednesday for ruling over the matter and by the ruling of the court, it has established the violation of the applicants rights to personal liberty as well as, his privacy.”
The counsel added the court ordered that the respondents be held responsible for violating the fundamental rights of the applicant and it went further to awards N10million as damages against the respondents jointly.
He expressed satisfaction with the ruling of the court, and commended the court for seeing that justice prevails.
Also speaking to newsmen at the court premises, Gashasha described the ruling as a victory for the people adding, “Many people are being victimized for no just cause, but in most cases, people become afraid even to raise their voices by coming to court.”
Recall that Gashash popularly known as Sardaunan Matasa was whisked away from his Kakuri residence early January by some men in military uniform.
The men numbering about 20 arrived the house around 3:00 am and ordered the man who was sleeping to come out of the house.
He was, however, released after Justice Zainab Abubakar, granted an application filed by his Counsel, Barrister Umar Magaji, directing the Nigerian Army and the DSS to release him with immediate effect.
Gashash approached the court over what he described as an infringement on his fundamental human rights by Nigerian Army, the Chief of Army Staff (COAS), the General Officer Commanding (GOC) 1 Division and the Director-General of the State Security Services for illegal and unlawful arrest.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Continue Reading

News

COVID-19: NDDC Donates N1bn To Nine N’Delta States

Published

on

The Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC) has announced the donation of N1.045billion to the nine states of the Niger Delta region to fight against the spread of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) in the region.
The Acting Managing Director, NDDC, Prof. Kemebradikumo Pondei, announced this in a statement issued, yesterday, in Port Harcourt, by the commission’s Director of Corporate Affairs, Charles Odili.
Pondei, who directed immediate shutdown of NDDC operations in the states, said the fund would soon be released to authorities in the states.
“The interventionist agency will make available N775million to support the nine states under its mandate.
“Also, additional N270million will be released to fast-track the establishment of isolation centres in the 27 senatorial districts across the region.
He said the commission was also collaborating with stakeholders in the area of treatment of COVID-19 patients.
“We are exploring avenues to see if we could intervene in providing ventilators and facilitate the procurement of oxygen.
“We are also looking at the drugs that have been used so far in other climes for treatment. NDDC is going a step ahead of what others are doing,” Pondei added.
The managing director said the total shutdown of NDDC operations on March 30, was due to growing concerns over increasing new infections.
According to him, directors, heads as well as heads of units of security, plant operators and other essential workers would provide skeletal services during the shutdown.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Continue Reading

News

Lockdown: Security Personnel Force Garri Price Down In Asaba

Published

on

Some residents of Asaba yesterday lauded security personnel who forced garri sellers to reduce the price of garri at Ogbeogono Market in Asaba.
The eyewitnesses, who spoke to newsmen in Asaba, lauded the officers for intervening in a crucial period like this.
They said that most families could not afford to buy enough food for a day let alone cope with hike in prices of staple food items.
They also called on the state government to work out palliatives to cushion the two weeks stay at home, particularly for those who live from “hand to mouth”.
According to Mr Collins Ovire, some security personnel stormed the Ogbeogono Market and forced the Garri sellers to crash their prices from N2,000 to N750 for a measurement of Garri.
“We hail them for the action because the garri sellers were just common thieves, they have hiked their prices because they know that garri is one of the staple food eaten by the people.
“But just imagine, this is man inhumanity to man, the whole world is worried about how to combat an epidemic, the Coronavirus and in the midst of this, the market women and traders are only thinking of how to reap the poor people.
“Just last week, a paint (gallon) of garri was sold for N600 but as soon as the stay at home order was announced, garri prices skyrocketed to N1,500 and now N2,000.
“This hike in Garri price has affected other staples foods which have also attracted high prices.
“Now, with this stay at home order, how will that man, who feeds on his or her daily bread, survive this two weeks stay at home order, without support from government”.
He said that government at all levels should make funds available to all Nigerians with a Bank Verification Number (BVN) as well as procure food stuff to people.
Also, Mrs Evelyn Chukwuma, a civil servant, said that prices of tubers of yam increased within the short notice.
She expressed concern that the rise in prices of food items may not be reversed after the two weeks lockdown unless a drastic measure was taken by concerned authority.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Continue Reading

News

Rainstorm Destroys Radio Bayelsa

Published

on

A late night rainstorm on Monday destroyed property worth millions of naira in Bayelsa State including the state broadcasting corporation, Radio Bayelsa and crippled its operations.
The administrative building, the general manager’s office and the make-shift live studio were not spared by the rainstorm.
The havoc caused by the rainstorm brought down the mast of the station which also plays host to the transmitters of Radio Nigeria’s Creek FM and the Nigeria Television Authority thereby crippling their operations too.
Though some parts of Yenagoa, the Bayelsa State capital were affected by the rainstorm
The worse hit was Radio Bayelsa, NTA Yenagoa and Radio Nigeria, Creek FM.
The acting General Manager of the station, Mrs. Pere Obobo described the incident as a monumental loss.
Also, Creek FM General Manger, Mr Sunday Udosen lamented the huge loss the rainstorm had caused the station
The Chief of Staff, Government House, Chief Benson Agadaga who was among the early visitors to the station, gave an assurance that government would work towards fixing the damage at Radio Bayelsa.
Radio Bayelsa had earlier this year on February 14 experienced large scale destruction by irate youths protesting the Supreme Court judgement which dislodged the All Progressives Congress candidate in the November 16, 2019 governorship election, David Lyon as elected governor, resulting in the swearing in of the People’s Democratic Party candidate, Senator Douye Diri as governor.
On July 2 last year, a fire outbreak also destroyed equipment and parts of Radio Bayelsa.
The rainstorm equally wreaked havoc on roofs, electrical poles and wires, billboards and buildings in parts of the State capital.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Continue Reading

Trending