Connect with us

Niger Delta

Obaseki Urges Civil Servants To ‘Work From Home’

Published

on

The Governor of Edo State, Godwin Obaseki, has urged the residents of the state not to panic over the first case of Coronavirus (COVID-19) in the state, assuring that measures have been put in place to curtail its spread.
He also announced the prohibition in the state till further notice, the gathering of more than 50 persons, while declaring that public officers below Grade Level 12, except those providing essential services such as fire and healthcare, should work from home.
Obaseki briefed reporters yesterday at the Government House, Benin on the unfortunate development, while insisting that the COVID-19 was not a death sentence.
The first case of Coronavirus in Edo was disclosed less than 24 hours after the Secretary to the Edo State Government (SSG), Osarodion Ogie, announced the indefinite closure of all primary and secondary schools, as well as tertiary institutions, with effect from yesterday.
Edo governor said: “Coronavirus is not a death sentence. So, there is no need to panic. With swift identification, proper management and care, many persons who were infected with the virus have made full recoveries. We must all work together and take the right precautions.
“I am addressing you today on the Coronavirus pandemic that has destabilised the economies and social existence of many countries in the last four months. COVID-19 has finally found its way into our country, Nigeria.
“In Edo state, we have developed our action plan to cope with the pandemic. The postponed National Sports Festival (NSF), Edo 2020, gave us the opportunity to put in place a contingency plan. We have three isolation centres in Benin City, Irrua and Auchi, a Federal Government testing centre in Irrua and a large number of very well-trained and certified workers to trace and treat patients.
“The commons signs and symptoms of the Coronavirus infection include dry cough, fever and difficulty in breathing.”
Obaseki also stated that as part of his administration’s efforts to bring the Coronavirus pandemic to a standstill, various centres had been designated for the persons who might have contracted the virus, declaring that social distancing should also be given priority attention.
He said: “Since COVID-19 is a virus that is transmitted from one person to another through close contact, the most effective and proven remedy to reduce its spread is through social distancing. Social distancing involves reducing as much as possible physical contacts with others.
“Edo State government wishes to advise that from March 23, 2020, every citizen should practice social distancing to prevent the Coronavirus from spreading. In order to give effect to our social distancing policy, gathering of more than 50 persons is prohibited in Edo State, till further notice.
“All schools are to remain closed in Edo State, till further notice. Public transportation will remain in operation, but crowding in commercial vehicles should be avoided.
“All public officers below grade level 12, except those providing essential services such as fire and healthcare, should work from home, till further notice. Citizens are advised to postpone unnecessary travels in and out of Edo State and if possible, stay at home.”
Edo governor also admonished all the residents of the state to report persons who had just returned to the state in the last 30 days from Europe, Asia, America and other affected countries to the appropriate authorities, giving details of the persons, including their phone numbers, for prompt response and interventions, especially to provide screening and any required support to them, calling 08084096723, 08064258163, 08035835529 and 08074132019.

Continue Reading

Niger Delta

Rivers Police Burst Car Snatching Syndicate

Published

on

The Rivers State Police Command says it has arrested an alleged member of car theft syndicate who specialises in robbing bolt drivers in the state and its environs.
In a press statement in Port Harcourt, the state capital, the Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), SP Nnamdi Omoni said that operatives of Octopus Strike Force on September 15, 2021, at about 1750hrs, arrested one Nnali Osita, a 21-year-old member of a notorious car snatching syndicate that specialises in robbing Bolt/Uberdrivers in the state.
The statement said, that “while solving a case of car snatching reported by one Yusuf Ogunshola ‘m’, a Bolt driver who was hired from Effurun in Delta State to Port Harcourt, only to be taken to Abel Jumbo Street in Mile 2,Diobu, Port Harcourt, where two other members were already waiting”.
The statement further stated that the Bolt driver,on arrival, was attacked at gunpoint and dispossessed of his personal belongings, including withdrawing the sum of N87,000 from his bank account, adding that he was thereafter locked in a toilet belonging to a new generation church on the same street.
“In the course of our investigation, operatives got some clues which ultimately led them to Gambia Street in Diobu, where they had perfected plans to sell the said car. However, on sighting the police, they abandoned the car, and took to flight but the suspect; Nnali Osita was not lucky, as he was arrested, while others escaped.
“Meanwhile, efforts have been intensified to ensure that the fleeing gang members are arrested and their operational weapons recovered.
“The Commissioner of Police, Friday Eboka has vowed to come hard on all miscreants in the state, and is hereby advising all Bolt/Uber or anybody in the transportation business to be circumspect and shun all mouth-watering offers; being the antics deployed by these criminals to attack their victims.” the statement added.

By: Akujobi Amadi

Continue Reading

Niger Delta

Federal Varsity Admits 2,423 Students,Holds 10th Matriculation

Published

on

The Federal University, Otuoke in Bayelsa State has admitted new 2,423 students for its 2021/2022 academic session.
This was made known to newsmen at the weekend during the 10th matriculation ceremony of the institution.
The Tide learnt that the Federal University, Otuoke was amongst the 12 universities established during the former President Goodluck Jonathan’s administration.
In his matriculation speech, the institution’s Vice Chancellor, Prof Teddy Charles Adias cautioned the matriculants against engaging in nefarious activities as students.
He charged students to be serious with their academics, noting that the institution is described as a ‘Family University, just as he added that the school has more than ever become a grooming ground for intellectuals.
“Students of this university are groomed and trained in both intellectual and in character. You’re here to learn, but that you’ve done your matriculation doesn’t mean it’s the end.
“As students members of this family university, you should be Ambassadors of this institution wherever you find yourselves in both learning and character”, he said.
“No nation can develop without a good and competitive intellectual base,. And that is why this Family University was set up to amongst others be part of sister institutions that would build and develop the needed intellectual capacities for our development as a nation”, he added.
The Tide reports that the university admitted freshers into all of its six existing Faculties of Management Sciences, Humanities, Social Sciences, Sciences as well as Engineering and Education.
“A total of 5,692 persons applied for admission for the session, but out of these, a total of 2,423 were selected and granted admission, after going through all the required academic processes needed as qualifications for admission as students members of the university”, the Vice Chancellor said.

By: Ariwera Ibibo-Howells, Yenagoa

Continue Reading

Niger Delta

Police Move To Secure Abducted Doctor, Ex-Senator’s Release

Published

on

The Assistant Inspector General of Police in charge of Zone 6, Usman Gomna, has ordered investigation into the abduction of a medical doctor, Nsidibe Umana and former-Akwa Ibom senator, Nelson Effiong.
The AIG’s order is coming even as the command said that it had put in place a crack team to trail the abductors of the two victims.
Nelson Effiong, a former senator representing Akwa Ibom South Senatorial district, was abducted on Sunday, September 5, 2021 while relaxing in his sit-out along Oron Road; while the medical doctor was abducted in his compound in Orukaman Local Government Area of the state on Tuesday, September 14, 2021.
The AIG gave the charge last Friday while responding to a request by the chairman of the state chapter of the Nigeria Medical Association, Dr. Ime Sylvester Udoh, during a meeting with security stakeholders in the state.
Dr. Udoh had raised the alarm over the abduction of the medical doctor and had also called on the Police to rescue the victim alive.
Responding, the AIG said, “Before I came here, I have directed the CP of the command, Andrew Amiengheme, to intensify efforts to see how he can be rescued.”
He reiterated the commitment of the zone in tackling crime and criminality and called on stakeholders to continue to cooperate with the Police by revealing useful information that could help in tackling the crime rate in the states.
Speaking further on the kidnapped medical doctor, the Akwa Ibom State Commissioner of Police, Andrew Amiengheme, said a manhunt had already been put in place to effect the release of the doctor.
“Our men are in the field to ensure the release of that young doctor. Unfortunately, the abductors are asking for N20m and where will the family get that kind of money?
“That is part of the societal problems, and we are asking the stakeholders to quickly expose and not to give them a cover,” Amiengheme said.
On the abduction of the ex-senator, the CP said, “We’re very much on top of the situation. Care must be taken to protect his life in the first instance.
“We must not do anything that will jeopardise his life, a lot has been done, we are observing some restraints so that he is not killed and his perpetrators brought to book.”

Continue Reading

Trending