Connect with us

News

Oil Spill Devastates Rivers Community

Published

on

The Nigerian Agip Oil Company has announced a shut-in at its oilfield in Aggah community in Ogbia/Egbema Local Government Area of Rivers State, following a devastating oil spill as a result of pipeline leakage.
The company said that the decision was designed to forestall further damage to the environment.
Eni, the Italian parent company of NAOC, confirmed the development in a statement, yesterday.
The statement reads in part, “NAOC got a report of a leakage from a well flow line on 14th October, 2019, in the southern part of Aggah territory, in Ogba/Egbema/Ndoni Local Government Area of Rivers State.
“The leakage was primarily bubbling of gas and sheens of condensate.
“Following the report of the event, NAOC deployed containment booms around the leak spot and shut-in the well to stop the leak.
“Statutory notification was issued to Department of Petroleum Resources (DPR), NOSDRA and Rivers State Ministry of Environment for Joint Investigation Visit (JIV) before effecting the repair.”
Meanwhile, the National Oil Spills Detection and Response Agency (NOSDRA) said that it was investigating the cause of a damaged pipeline and possible volume of leaked crude oil at Aggah which had polluted the area.
The Port Harcourt Zonal Director of NOSDRA, Mr. Cyrus Nkangwu, who confirmed the development, said the NAOC had reported the oil spill to the agency.
He said the area had been cordoned off to prevent further spread, adding that the agency had also deployed its personnel to the oil spill site.
“A Joint Investigation Visit (JIV) team is currently at the scene of the incident and would find out the cause of the leak and estimated volume of crude discharged into the environment,” Nkangwu said.
The leak is coming barely one month after fire broke out from NAOC’s field in nearby Ubeta community in neighbouring Ahoada-West Local Government Area of Rivers State.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Continue Reading

News

Paris Club Refund: Suspicious N159bn Judgment Debts Worry NGF

Published

on

The Nigeria Governors’ Forum (NGF) has engaged Femi Falana, SAN, to challenge the judgments awarding some “consultants and contractors” humongous shares of the Paris and London Club refunds received from the Federal Government by the various states and their local governments.
Falana, in a letter dated April 19, 2021, written to the Minister of Finance, Zainab Ahmed, on behalf of the NGF, requested that the plan to issue promissory notes to the purported creditors be suspended, in deference to the legal steps being taken to appeal against the judgments.
The Senior Advocate of Nigeria’s letter is sequel to an earlier correspondence dated April 8 sent to the finance minister by a law firm, Ikechukwu Ezechukwu, SAN & Co, on behalf of one of the creditors, Ted Iseghoghi-Edwards.
Investigations on the controversial judgment debts have revealed that Iseghoghi-Edwards is laying claim to $159million for providing consultancy services to the Association of Local Government of Nigeria (ALGON) to secure the Paris Club refund.
Findings show that a total of $418million judgment debts (about N159billion at the exchange rate of $1 to N380.5) has already been cleared for payment by influential officials of President Muhammadu Buhari administration.
It was gathered that those behind the desperate push for the payment are Chief of Staff, Prof Ibrahim Gambari, the Attorney-General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami, and the finance minister.
They have concluded on paying the six creditors through the issuance of promissory notes to be funded from state governments’ allocations for 10 years.
It was learnt that the officials are pushing for the payment despite Mr President’s directive suspending it after the NGF raised an objection to it, and called for a forensic audit of the whole indebtedness.
The Association of Local Government of Nigeria (ALGON) has, on different occasions, written to the AGF, querying the claims by Iseghoghi-Edwards and a firm, Riok Nigeria Limited.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Continue Reading

News

RSG Seeks Improved Media Partnership On Projects Delivery

Published

on

The Rivers State Government has restated its commitment to partner with the media at all times in order to consolidate on the delivery of infrastructural development and good governance.
The state Commissioner for Information and Communications, Pastor Paulinus Nsirim stated this, last Monday, in a keynote address at the 2021 Media Day, organised by the Rotary Club of Port Harcourt, District 9141 in Port Harcourt, with the theme, ‘Developing Media Infrastructure for Good Governance’.
“Using the various media infrastructure in which a wide range of debates take place and variety of viewpoints represented, the Rivers State Government led by Governor Nyesom Wike has continued to deliver projects that impact positively for the betterment of Rivers State and her people.
“Between last year and the whole of the first quarter of 2021, Rivers State was on the global map as eminent citizens of Nigeria joined the Governor, Chief Nyesom Wike, to commission projects in eleven local government areas of the state.
“This unprecedented development coming at a time when most leaders were hiding under the cover of the Covid-19 pandemic to cover their ineptitude will surely remain legendary,” he noted.
Nsirim asserted that many social commentators across the country have opined with convictions that the only person who can realistically beat the impressive record is Governor Nyesom Wike himself, especially when the next phase of projects commissioning would commence, “which will unveil some of the most amazing and marvelous legacy infrastructural projects ever seen in Rivers State.
“Project commissioning has become synonymous with the Governor Wike’s administration in the last five years and even against the backdrop of the noisome buzzing of a jobless, fragmented and confused opposition in the state,” he said.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Continue Reading

News

No Reasonable Govt’ll Allow Pantami In Cabinet, Wike Mocks Buhari

Published

on

The Rivers State Governor, Chief Nyesom Wike, says the Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Dr Isa Pantami, should resign from office, irrespective of his recent volte-face on his previous support for extremist groups.
The governor noted that in an ideal society, an allegation that the United States of America has placed a serving minister on its watch list as regards to terrorism, should jolt any government into action.
He stated this during an interview with the African Independent Television (AIT) in Port Harcourt, the Rivers State capital, yesterday.
“If it was really where a government is working, if an American government says your minister is on a watch list, it calls for concern for you say look there is a problem. The moment a high government official is on a watch list as to regards to terrorism, no government can fold its hands and allow it.”
Wike, said the minister ought to have resigned from the government immediately the information about his extremist views in support of terror groups became a matter of public discourse.
The governor described as worrisome the decision of the Federal Government to remain mute amidst the raging controversy about the minister’s sympathy for global terrorist groups.
“I don’t understand why a reasonable government will allow such a person to be in the cabinet.”
The governor noted that the All Progressives Congress-led Federal Government was known for its proclivity to shield persons of questionable characters, even when the country’s secret service presents overwhelming evidence against such individuals.
“But you were here when DSS wrote a report against (Ibrahim) Magu. What happened? Look, I have never seen a country that your secret service wrote a report about the nominee of Mr President, questioning his character and the rest, and that he is not appointable. What happened? So, what are you talking about? What removed Magu is power play.”
Wike also took a swipe at the National Working Committee (NWC) of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) for not taking stern disciplinary action against former Governor of Niger State, Dr Mu’azu Babangida Aliyu, who recently claimed he conspired with others to ensure that President Goodluck Jonathan lost the 2015 presidential election.
“If I was the leadership of the party, I would have suspended Aliyu for that comment he made. But, you see nothing will happen. The National Working Committee will not do anything. Why? They need Aliyu to support them.
“I cannot understand why you are a leader; so, to speak, you come out and tell the world why you fought your party. I have never seen a thing like that in my life. Assuming you did it, you now want to rub it on them, and that nothing will happen.”

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Continue Reading

Trending