A multinational oil and gas company ,the Green Energy International Limited ,the operators of Otakikpo Marginal Field (OML 11) in Andoni Local Government Area of Rivers State, says it is committed to strengthening the social , environmental and economic development of its host communities in line with its Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR).
To this end, construction works at the company’s 12MMSCFD LPG extraction plant that will transform and impact the lives of its host communities of Ikuru Town,Agama Ekede ,Ayama Ekede, Asuk Oye and Asukama communities have commenced in earnest.
The Chairman of the company, Prof Anthony Adegbulugbe gave the assurance in his opening remarks at a stakeholders workshop organised by the company in Port Harcourt, yesterday
Represented by the Director in charge of Sustainability in the company, Mr Ayo Olejede, the chairman said ,the essence of the workshop was to provide a unique opportunity to brainstorm with sustainability experts in order to strengthen the social, environmental and economic development of the host communities, with support and collaboration of key institutions with a view to showcasing to all its numerous stakeholders how the company had journeyed to bring to fruition, its vision of creating a model of integrated energy company.
Adegbulugbe disclosed that the company had within the four years of operations and engagement contributed significantly to achieving some of the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals through provision of the requisite basic infrastructure which would enable it deliever affordable and reliable energy that would propel social and economic progress within its host communities.
According to him, the concept of the company’s marginal field development is to use the Otakikpo Marginal Field to create a chain of economic opportunities where, after the oil is produced, the gas is utilised for powering the production of domestic cooking gas with a view to galvanising the economy of the communities and ultimately the economy of the country.
“I am pleased to announce to you that since September 2019 ,we have operated for over two million hours without no Loss of Time Injury (LTI) which indicates that our operations are being carried out within the highest level of safety standards”, he said.
“So far, we have utilised community contractors for majority of our projects and at the last count,our procurement exposure in terms of quantum of patronage is in excess of over N3billion. We are also happy to announce that we have ensured that both our skilled and unskilled staff have been drawn from the communities and the Niger Delta area.”he stated.
He urged the participants to develop inclusive CSR and sustainability frame work for advancing policy recommendations on environmental, social and governance issues to drive development in their communities in areas of natural resources and management particularly on protecting elephants and wildlife species in Andoni LGA and its environs as well as community electrification.
Earlier, the Permanent Secretary of Rivers State Ministry of Agriculture, Mrs Kindness Egbelu represented by Mrs Nkemdiri Oduya commended the company for its interest in capacity building programmes for its host communities.
According to her, “our people depend on biodiversity but biodiversity is under threat from the same people that depend on it”.
In an interview with newsmen, the Legal and Corporate Affairs Manager , Mr Segun Ilori said the workshop was designed to review some of the things the company was doing to building sustainability future, adding that the aim of the project was community driven and social responsibility intervention.
RSG Warns Owner Of Proudest Hotel To Stop Blackmailing NCDC
Our attention has been drawn to a recent misleading petition, signed by one Mr. Needam Promise Gogorobari, Owner, Prodest Hotel and dated 24th May 2020,
to the effect that the convicted Manager of Prodest Hotel, Mr. Bariledum Job Azoroh, who recently tested positive for Covid-19 disease amongst 27 others, in a result released by the National Centre for Disease Control, NCDC, may have allegedly been infected on the instructions of the Rivers State Government.
Much as we had restrained ourselves from responding to previous similar publications by this same person, since the subject matter was still before a court of competent jurisdiction, we are now compelled to reply this obviously spurious, deliberately misleading and intentionally provocative petition with a proper response, to set the records straight and caution the sponsors of this action from further pedlling such falsehoods in the public space.
For the avoidance of doubt and for the information of the general public, let us state categorically here that the FACTS of this matter are very clear, viz:
1. A Port Harcourt Senior Magistrates’ Court on May 18th, 2020 CONVICTED Mr. Bariledum Azoro, Manager of Prodest Hotel, Eleme and sentenced him to a fine of N50,000 for contravening paragraphs 3 and 4 of Executive Order RVSG 07 2020 on closure of hotels, guest houses and related outfits and provision of manifests in the state.
2. The Senior Magistrates’ Court also ordered that th convict,Mr. Azoroh should be quarantined at the Isolation Centre in Yakubu Gowon Stadium, Elekahia for 14 days to ascertain his coronavirus status.
3. That while in the Court Ordered Quarantine, competent health officials carried out mandatory tests on all suspected Coronavirus individuals at the centre, including Mr.Bariledum Job Azoroh, to ascertain their Covid-19 status.
It is important to state here that COVID-19 tests undergo World Health Organization, (WHO) and NCDC guidelines and are conducted under strict established medical protocols.
4. That prior to the publication of the test results, the owner of PRODEST Hotel Eleme, Mr. Gogorobari Needam had published one of his misleading petitions in an attempt to preempt the outcome of the test and the question we want to ask is: ‘Why did the hotel owner try to preempt the outcome of the test. Was he trying to cover up something?
5. That on Sunday, 24th May, 2020, the NCDC announced that Rivers State had 27 recorded positive cases including Mr.Bariledum Job Azoroh, from tests carried out in the state.
6. That following the official announcement of the result and confirmation of his Manager’s Covid-19 positive status, the PRODEST Hotel owner has once again released another statement and this time is now calling for a state of emergency in Rivers State because his manager tested positive for Covid-19.
7. Rivers people will recall that on May 19, 2020, we raised an alarm intimating the world of a clandestine plot by some Abuja politicians hiding under the cover of Covid-19 to instigate a State of Emergency in the state. Today, a hotel owner in Eleme, who lives in Lagos is also now calling for a State of Emergency. Is there any wonder therefore as to who is beating the drum for him?
8. Indeed there seems to be more to this than meets the ordinary eye and we are calling on all well-meaning people to see the need to interrogate this man and know that he is acting out a script. Infact, the entire petition sounds and reads like something lifted directly from the copy book of those who have been desperately trying to run down the Rivers State Government. This is desperation taken too far.
9. We even recall vividly that Mr. Needam Promise Gogorobari had, in an interview published in the Punch Newspaper of May 15, 2020 titled: “No ill feeling towards Wike for demolishing my hotel – Gogorobari”, actually stated categorically that he holds no grudge against Governor Wike for demolishing the hotel. His words: “Who am I not to forgive him? I don’t hold any grudge against him. I just feel that God wanted it to happen that way”. So what happened to make him change his mind? Is it not obvious that the agents of evil and those who do not mean well for Rivers State have reached him and are now beating this drum of dissent for him?
10. Again, We want to state categorically here that Government doesn’t conduct Covid-19 tests. Trained Health professionals follow the relevant medical protocols set down by WHO, the Federal Ministry of Health and the NCDC, to conduct these tests.
11. The claim therefore that the PRODEST Hotel manager, Mr. Bariledum Job Azoroh, was infected while in detention is not only laughable and preposterous, but sadly and dangerously exposes the amazing ignorance and naivety of Mr. Needam Promise Gogorobari and those sponsoring him about the deadly nature of the Covid-19 disease. How does one even carry such a deadly virus around and infect people with it?
12. Rather than commend the Rivers State Government for stemming the tide of infection that would have arisen if the Hotel used for clandestine parties was not demolished and the Manager arrested, the owner is crying wolf where there is none.
13. We also want to caution Mr. Needam Promise Gogorobari to be very mindful of his claims that his hotel Manager “has been framed up by an unorthodox hired medical officers recruited by Governor Wike with a report that he has tested positive to COVID-19 whilst in detention with the Rivers State Government”.
This is a clear accusation and indictment of the reputation and authority of the NCDC.
14 We also want to call the attention of Mr. Needam Gogorobari that we take exception to his description of the Isolation Centre in Port Harcourt, as an “illegal detention facility in Stadium, Elekahia, Port Harcourt” and to inform him and his sponsors that the Director General of NCDC, Dr. Chikwe Ihekweazu and a team from the World Health Organization, were in Rivers State on a working visit in April this year and not only praised Governor Nyesom Wike for his leadership and handling of the Covid-19 outbreak. but also applauded his medical health team and all the facilities put in place in response to the Coronavirus.
We will therefore be keen to know how the NCDC will react, when they read your description of a facility they approved, as ‘a detention centre’.
15. Finally, we want to assure the good people of the state that the Rivers State Government remains resolute in its fight to curtail the spread of COVID-19 in the state and we will not be deterred by cheap blackmail and misleading propaganda.
16 Governor Wike is determined to employ and deploy appropriate strategies to keep Rivers State safe.
17. We call on all residents to work together with the Governor to defeat Covid-19 in Rivers State and by the Grace of God we will be victorious.
Commissioner for Information and Communications
May 26, 2020
Banigo Felicitates With Justice Wike On Her Birthday
Rivers State Deputy Governor, Dr. Mrs. Ipalibo Harry Banigo has felicitated with the wife of the State Chief Executive Hon. Justice Eberechi Suzzette Nyesom Wike as she celebrates her birthday on Saturday, 23rd May, 2020.
In a statement from the Government House in Port Harcourt on Friday, 23rd May 2020, Dr. Banigo described Hon. Justice Wike as a humane and God fearing woman who is a great pillar of strength to our amiable Governor, Nyesom Ezenwo Wike.
While wishing her many happy returns the Deputy Governor prayed the Almighty God to continue to protect and bless Hon. Justice Eberechi Suzzette Nyesom Wike.
Former Nigeria President Jonathan Loses Foster Dad.
The family of former Nigerian President,Goodluck Jonathan and the Otuoke community of Ogbia Local Government Area of Bayelsa state has been thrown into mourning as the News of the sudden demise of Chief Nitabai Inegite,the former president’s foster father reached them.
Featured4 days ago
RSG Cancels Lockdown Of Obio/Akpor, Port Harcourt Local Government
Featured4 days ago
COVID-19 Decisions Are Taken By State Security Council – Governor Wike
Politics3 days ago
CROSIEC Deploys About 8,000 Personnel For LG Elections
News4 days ago
RSG Warns Owner Of Proudest Hotel To Stop Blackmailing NCDC
Business3 days ago
COVID-19: Dockworkers/Seafarers Are Essential Workers, Exempted From Travel Restrictions, Says NIMASA
Featured3 hours ago
RSG Debunks Rumours That Late LG Chairman’s Body Has Been Exhumed
Featured3 days ago
RIVERS Approves Review Of 2020 Budget
Featured2 days ago
Rivers Elders Commend Governor Wike For Consistent Delivery Of Critical Projects