Manchester United, goalkeeper David de Gea has said that the team’s performances this season have been “unacceptable” and this is the “most difficult” period he has experienced since joining the club.
The Red Devils lost 0-1 at Newcastle United last Sunday to extend their worst start to a league season for 30 years.
They are 12th in the Premier League, two points above the relegation zone.
“The game isn’t acceptable,” said Spain international De Gea, 28. “The whole season isn’t acceptable for us.”
Speaking to Tidesports source, he added: “We didn’t create any proper chances. We have a lot to improve. I don’t know what to say. We need to step up.
“We have injuries but it’s not an excuse. We are Manchester United. We need to train hard to keep fighting and to get back to winning games.”
Midfielder Matty Longstaff, 19, scored the only goal on his Premier League debut to secure the points for Newcastle at St James’ Park.
It extends Manchester United’s winless away run in the league to eight matches, going back to a 3-1 victory at Crystal Palace on 27 February. It is their worst run on the road since September 1989.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side host league leaders Liverpool on 20 October, after the international break.
For De Gea, it is the most difficult spell he has endured since joining the Old Trafford club from Atletico Madrid in 2011.
The Spaniard won the Premier League in Sir Alex Ferguson’s final season in 2013. Since then, they have finished second once but failed to mount a serious title challenge.
He has also worked with four permanent bosses and two caretakers during that time – including Solskjaer, who was appointed manager in March after a successful spell in temporary charge.
When asked what the team needed to do to improve, De Gea replied: “Everything. A lot of things to improve.
“Keep trying, keep trying, keep fighting every day. It’s a hard moment for us – but we are United and we need to keep fighting.
“It’s probably the most difficult time since I’ve been here. I don’t know what is happening. We cannot score even one goal in two games. Sorry to the fans. We will keep fighting, for sure. We will come back, but at the moment we’re in a difficult situation.”
Neymar Doubtful Against Dortmund
Neymar hit out at Paris Saint-Germain over the management of a rib injury after making his comeback in the Champions League.
After missing four matches, Neymar returned on Tuesday and scored for PSG, who lost 2-1 at Borussia Dortmund in the opening leg of the last-16 clash.
Neymar hurt his rib against Montpellier on February 1 and the Brazilian star was in doubt for the trip to Dortmund before returning for Thomas Tuchel’s side.
However, Neymar – who equalised in the 75th minute before two-goal hero ErlingHaaland restored Dortmund’s lead – was not happy post-match.
“It is hard after four games without playing. It was not my choice not to play, the club took this decision,” Neymar said amid ongoing links of a possible move back to LaLiga champions Barcelona.
“The club made this decision with the medical team. I wanted to play, I felt good.
“The club were afraid, and it is I who suffers from it.”
It has been another injury-interrupted season for Neymar, who reportedly tried to engineer a return to Barca at the start of the season, having left Camp Nou in a world-record €222million deal.
Neymar has scored 13 goals in 14 Ligue 1 appearances for leaders PSG this term.
The 28-year-old forward has netted 16 goals across all competitions.
Eto’o Tips Mahrez For Ballon d’Or
Algeria international Riyad Mahrez can win the prestigious Ballon d’Or award according to legendary Cameroon strike,r Samuel Eto’o.
The Manchester City’s attacking midfielder has established himself as one of the best attackers in the world having won two English Premier League titles.
Mahrez also won the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) title as Algeria captain in Egypt.
“He is one of the great players in world football today,” Eto’o told Al Araby as per Le Buteur.
“We are very likely to have it [Ballon d’Or] in our continent.
Mahrez was ranked at number 10 in last year’s Ballon d’Or rankings with fellow African Sadio Mane of Liverpool FC finishing third.
“I really hope that he will not only dream of being the best African player,” he added.
“But also the Ballon d’Or because he has all the qualities to be there.”
The 28-year-old was named 2016 CAF Footballer of the Year following a successful season with Leicester City.
Boxing: Wilder Will Never Out-Point Me In Vegas -Fury
Tyson Fury has said that a points defeat against Deontay Wilder is impossible as his style of boxing suits Las Vegas.
Fury, 31, drew with Wilder in Los Angeles in 2018 and he
Fury continues to predict a second-round stoppage of Wilder and trainer Steward told our source”.
“To knock out a knockout artist you have to make them go backwards and back them up,” Fury told Tidesports Radio 5 Live Boxing podcast.
“Wilder is used to coming forwards his whole career. He has never knocked anyone out on the back foot.
“All bullies when they are backed-up, fold. Wilder is no different to any other playground bully. When someone stands up to Deontay Wilder, he will fold. I will prove that on Saturday.
“Technically he is not so great. Fighting Deontay Wilder is like giving a seven-year-old an AK-47 in a room, fully loaded. He is easy to control but could let rip any time.
“He can throw punches from novice angles that usually a world champion or high-level professional wouldn’t throw. They come from the floor sometimes or around corners so you have to have your wits about you.”
hopes to avoid controversy by securing a knockout in their rematch on Saturday.
But he said similarities in his style with Floyd Mayweather – who landed 15 wins by decision in Vegas is reason for his confidence in the judging.
“That slick style works and the judges here like that,” Fury told Tidesports sourcet.
“Wilder can’t beat me on points, it’s not possible. This is Las Vegas, not Los Angeles.
“One of the greatest boxers that has ever lived in Mayweather has come from this town and they can appreciate a master boxer here.
“If it goes 12 rounds I have won.”
News4 days ago
You’re Jittery Of Protests, PDP Mocks Buhari …You Lack Power To Stop Peaceful Protests, Falana Tells FG …As Nigerians Rally Against Buhari, Service Chiefs, Today
News4 days ago
Be Comforted In Your Father’s Legacies, Wike Tells A’Ibom Gov
News4 days ago
Cult Clashes Claim Four, As Security Takes Over Community
Oil & Energy3 days ago
Industrialist Plans Solar Plant In Rivers
Niger Delta4 days ago
Rivers Monarch Lauds Wike’s Tenure Conditions For LG Bosses
Editorial4 days ago
Heeding NIHSA’s Flood Warning
Niger Delta4 days ago
GM Suspends Nine Staff Over Radio Bayelsa Attack
Featured2 days ago
Monguno Declares War On Abba Kyari, Writes Buhari …NSA’s Revelation Validates Our Position On Buhari’s Governance Style -PDP