Nigeria and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) have agreed to continue to work collaboratively to build the capacity of security agencies under Nigeria’s Ministry of Interior.
The ministry made this known in a statement by Director of Press and Public Relations of the Ministry of Interior, Mr Mohammed Manga, on Monday.
According to the ministry, the collaboration is part of efforts to strengthen internal security in Nigeria.
Manga said that the two countries renewed the commitment last Monday in Abuja when the UAE Ambassador to Nigeria, Fahad Altaffag visited the Interior Minister, Rauf Aregbesola.
Speaking during the visit, Aregbesola noted that strengthening the relationship between the two countries which had existed for years, would further boost the efforts of the President Muhammadu Buhari- led administration at ensuring the security of lives and property of Nigerians.
“Collaboration on security between the Nigerian Ministry of Interior and the UAE Ministry of Interior will strengthen the government’s capacity to solve internal security challenges in Nigeria,” the minister said.
He assured that Nigeria would continue to collaborate with the UAE in the areas of capacity building, educational development, fire disaster management, intelligence gathering, and border security management.
He observed that the security system of the UAE was never in doubt and as such, Nigeria could learn a lot from the country.
“When we have intellectual and physical capacities, we will not only overcome security challenges, but also neutralise them,” he reiterated.
Earlier, Altaffag said his country had in the past held discussions with Nigeria on ways to work together to solve internal security issues in Nigeria.
He said that his visit was to concretise the existing cooperation between the two countries on security matters with a view to providing the necessary support needed by the Buhari administration to create the environment conducive for foreign investment inflow to revitalise the economy.
The ambassador pledged his country’s support for the Nigerian government in its resolve to ensure the security of lives and property of Nigerinas toward moving the country to the next level of socio-economic development.
Businessman Docked For Theft Of Melon
Godwin Thomas,35,of North Bank, Makurdi, was on Friday arraigned before a Makurdi Magistrates’ Court for alleged conspiracy and theft of melon.
The prosecutor, Sgt. Godwin Ato, told the court that the case was reported by one Ukaan Shimana of behind NKST Church, North Bank Makurdi, at the ‘C’ Division Police Station, North Bank.
Ato said that the complainant kept three bags of Egusi (melon) worth N200,000 with Godwin Thomas, Ebuka Emmanuel and Titus Kpanor.
Ato said that the defendants were the custodians of a store along Ter-Guma Street in North Bank area of Makurdi.
The prosecutor said that the complainant later discovered that the bags were missing.
He alleged that the defendant and his friends had stolen the bags containing the melon when she went there to collect them.
Ato also said that Ebuka Emmanuel and Titus Kpanor were immediately arrested and charged to Chief Magistrate’s Court 8, North Bank.
The prosecutor said that during further investigation by the police, the defendant who initially was at large; was later arrested in connection with the crime.
The defendant, however, pleaded not guilty to the offence.
The prosecutor told the court that investigation into the matter had been completed and that other defendants were already standing trial at CMC 8 North Bank in Makurdi.
Ato said that the court should arraign the defendants in the same court.
He prayed the court to adjourn so that the case could be transferred to CMC 8 North Bank.
The magistrate, Mrs Ajuma Igama, granted the defendant bail in the sum of N100,000.00 with one surety who must be a civil servant with Benue Government.
Igama also ordered that the case file be transferred to CMC 8 for hearing and determination of the case.
She adjourned until Jan 24 for hearing.
Police Arraign Three For Damaging N1.8m Parking Iron Bars
The police yesterday arraigned three men in a Karmo Grade I Area Court, Abuja, for allegedly damaging parking iron bars worth N1.8 million.
The police charged Mohammed Musa, Innocent Adama and Izuchukwu Nwaigwe with two counts of joint act and mischief.
The Prosecution Counsel, Mrs Ijeoma Ukagha, told the court that the matter was reported at the Utako Police Station on Dec. 14, 2019, by one Adewole Adeola, who of Dove Court Estate, Abuja.
Ukagha alleged that the defendants intentionally damaged the iron bars and demarcation drums worth N1.8million at the Dove Estate.
She said the offence contravened the provisions of sections 79 and 327 of the Penal Code.
The defendants, however, pleaded not guilty to the charge.
The judge, Alhaji Inuwa Maiwada, admitted the defendants to bail in the sum of N200, 000 each, with a surety each in like sum.
Maiwada ordered that the sureties must be reliable and must deposit his or her identity card at the court registry for verification.
He also ordered that the sureties must resides within the jurisdiction of the court and his or she address must be verified by the court officer.
Maiwada adjourned the case until Feb. 12 for hearing.
Missing N35m: Defence Counsel’s Ill-Health Stalls Trial Of JAMB Official
The trial of Yakubu Jekada, one of the accused persons charged with the misappropriation of N35 million belonging to JAMB, was stalled in an FCT High Court, Maitama, due to the defendant counsel’s ill-health.
Jekada was first arraigned on May 31, 2018 by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) before Justice Peter Affen of the High Court of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), sitting in Maitama, Abuja.
He was arraigned on a four count charge bordering on criminal breach of trust and dishonest use of JAMB funds to the tune of N11.189 million.
The JAMB official was accused of committing criminal breach of trust while being JAMB state coordinator for Plateau between 2009 and 2016 when he was entrusted with 11, 189 units of e-facility cards belonging to the Board which he disposed without duly rendering accounts to the Board.
On the resumed sitting on Tuesday, the Prosecution Counsel, Mr Ekene Iheanacho, informed the court that the matter was for continuation of trial and he was with his two witnesses.
Responding, Mr Gyang Zi, counsel to Jekada, prayed for an adjournment.
“I took ill yesterday before I left Jos. I am feeling funny, and I went to get some drugs thinking it would help me out.
“But it continued, I sincerely apologise for the inconveniences it would cause the court and others, including the witnesses,” Zi said.
Iheanacho said that the learned counsel has presented a sympathetic picture before the court based on health.
“So, we will not be objecting to his application for adjournment,” Iheanacho said.
After listening to the lawyers, Justice Peter Affen adjourned the matter until March 3, for continuation of trial.
Business4 days ago
Eco Currency: Finance Ministers, C’Bank Govs Oppose Buhari, Others
Featured4 days ago
RSG Approves N30,000 Minimum Wage For Workers …Wike, ‘Doyen Of Infrastructure Dev In Nigeria’, NMA Affirms
Politics4 days ago
LG Boss Restates Commitment To Oyigbo Dev
Politics4 days ago
Court Rules On Validity Of Ambode’s Suit Against Lawmakers, Feb 27
Politics4 days ago
Delta Assembly Receives Three New Bills
Sports4 days ago
Iwobi Wants Quick Return
Niger Delta4 days ago
APC Crisis: Abe Tasks Amaechi, Others On Peace
Politics4 days ago
PDP Chieftains Cry Foul Over Suspension In Nasarawa