Chief Rafiu Balogun, counsel to the Senate spokesman, Senator Dayo Adeyeye has faulted the verdict of the Ekiti State Election Petition Tribunal which declared the immediate past Senate Minority Leader, Abiodun Olujimi actual winner of the Ekiti South Senatorial District Election.
Balogun, in his official reaction to the tribunal ruling against his client, maintained that the tribunal actually made case for the petitioner by conducting a recount of the votes.
The Tribunal sitting in Ado Ekiti had, last Tuesday nullified the election of Adeyeye of the All Progressives Congress(APC) and declared Olujimi of the Peoples Democratic Party(PDP) as the true winner of the February 23, 2018 election.
Delivering the judgment, the three-man tribunal, in a unanimous judgment read by Justice Danladi Adeck said, Olujimi polled a total of 54,894 as against Adeyeye who polled 52,243 after a recount confirmed the votes
Balogun maintained that there was no order from the court for the recount to be conducted either by the Independent National Electoral Commission(INEC) or the tribunal.
Balogun who explained that the defence team had argued against such during the proceedings wondered where the tribunal derived its powers to carry out such a sensitive task which its judgement was relied upon.
“We are not satisfied with the tribunal ruling against our client because there are a lot of loopholes in the judgement. What the tribunal relied upon was the report of collation agent of the PDP who said INEC deliberately voided their votes. He did not say he did a recount and there was no order at all for the recount to be done at the INEC office and we had argued against it and had been settled at the appeal in the case of involving Kayode Fayemi and Olusola Eleka recently., that you can only do recount at the open court . Even in the case of Fayemi versus Segun Oni and Oshiomole.
What they are saying is that INEC deliberately voided their votes. The tribunal is making a case for the petitioner,” he said.
Corroborating Balogun’s position, the Counsel to the APC, Barrister Kabiru Akingbolu stated that the tribunal also agreed with the defendants that all the witnesses have said were mere hearsay and the document referred to at the polling unit were documentary hearsay. Unfortunately, the tribunal summersaulted 360 degrees to say that the personal computation done by the witness without any reference to the results of the unit was valid.
Ambassador Desmond Akawor Inaugurated As New Rivers State PDP Chairman
Bode George Urges FG To Relax Lagos Lockdown
A former Deputy National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Chief Olabode George has urged federal government to relax the lockdown it imposed on Lagos State as a result of COVID- 19 pandemic.
George, who made the call in a statement in Lagos, yesterday said the lockdown imposed since March 29 was adversely affecting livelihoods and bringing up security challenges.
He said though government intended to curb the spread of the virus with the lockdown, the directive had left many Nigerians hungry at home without palliatives.
The PDP chieftain noted that there must be a balance between curbing the spread of the virus and protecting livelihoods and asked the government to relax the lockdown while putting safety measures in place.
“Everywhere in Lagos is now locked down. The markets, banking halls, the local grocery shops, the supermarkets, the transportation services are all halted, frozen by the federal government directives since March 29.
“On the surface level, the federal government’s position is to ensure safety, prevent communal spread of the virus and banish this scourge from our shores.
“Lagosians have been staying at home for about a month now. In a largely informal economy where most of our people depend on daily wages, the burden of lack of income is devastating.
“There is a natural growing anger in Lagos as the most vulnerable are ravaged with hunger,” George said.
Prince Charles, Kagame, Others Condole Buhari Over Loss Of Kyari
Prince Charles has condoled with President Muhammadu Buhari, the government and people of Nigeria over the death of Abba Kyari, the former Chief of Staff to the President.
According to a statement by Malam Garba Shehu, the President’s Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, in Abuja, last Wednesday, Prince Charles described the death of Mallam Kyari was “a desperately sad news”.
Prince Charles regretted that the death of Kyari had occurred through “this pernicious virus…I can only begin to imagine what an immense gap Mr. Kyari’s untimely death will leave in Your Excellency’s life and my heart goes to you and Mr Kyari’s family”.
In a message through the Embassy of Rwanda in Abuja, President Paul Kagame, the government and people of Rwanda extended their heart-felt condolences to the Nigerian leader.
Kagame used the opportunity “to express solidarity to the government and people of the Federal Republic of Nigeria as we are faced with the Covid-19 global crisis”.
The former Vice president, Architect Namadi Sambo in his own message to the President, described the death of Abba Kyari as a “monumental national loss”.
In his condolence message to the president, an industry leader and businessman, Abdulsamad Rabi’u said he was deeply saddened by what he described as “this colossal loss”.
Featured5 days ago
Plan To Declare State Of Emergency In Rivers Uncovered
News4 days ago
Former Nigeria President Jonathan Loses Foster Dad.
Featured4 days ago
Rivers State Government Relaxes Lockdown In Port Harcourt And Obio/Akpor
Opinion3 days ago
The Tomfoolery of RIVLEAF
Featured3 days ago
Governor Wike Inaugurates State Community Policing Advisory Committee
News2 days ago
Banigo Felicitates With Justice Wike On Her Birthday
Featured4 days ago
Oil Workers Contribute Sixty Percent Cooronavirus Cases In Rivers – Wike
Featured3 hours ago
Rivers Records 27 New Coronavirus Cases …Manager Of Prodest Hotel Among The New Cases