Connect with us

Politics

…As Okorocha Threatens Anarchy Over Arrest Order

Published

on

Former governor of Imo State, Sen. Rochas Okorocha, has described the state government’s arrest order against him as an open invitation to anarchy in Imo.
Okorocha said this in a press statement signed by his Special Assistant on Media, Mr Sam Onwuemeodo, and made available to the newsmen in Owerri last Friday.
Okorocha was reacting to Thursday’s order by the Secretary to State Government (SSG), Mr Uche Onyeaguocha, for his arrest over an alleged assault of a government official at his residence.
The Chairman of the Committee on Recovery of Government Property, Mr Jasper Ndubuaku, was reportedly attacked by men said to be Okorocha’s thugs.
Reacting to the incident, which trended online last Thursday, the SSG told journalists that the former governor had been listed under state government’s security watch and placed on citizen’s arrest.
But Okorocha in the release stated that the order would only cause disaffection in Imo, pointing out that residents would always defend him any time he came under the attack of his successor, Governor Emeka Ihedioha.
He stated that the only reason given by the SSG for the order was that Imo people sympathetic to him prevented the recovery team from looting his private residence.
“The arrest order only added to their disrespect for me as the past governor and this is a very bad precedence which Ihedioha’s government is creating.
“I was in Abuja when the recovery team slapped my daughter, Uloma Nwosu, and I was also in Abuja yesterday (Thursday) when the team invaded my private residence,” he said.
Okorocha said that Imo government had petitioned the Economic Financial Crimes Commission and Independent Corrupt Practices and other Related Offences Commission against him, but wondered why it could not allow the antigraft agencies to do their job.
He stated that the SSG had no right to issue such order against a former governor.
He said that the order would not deter him from coming to Imo anytime he deemed fit, given the huge investment he made in the state.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Continue Reading

Politics

FEC Okays N13.08trn Budget Estimate For 2021

Published

on

The Federal Executive Council (FEC), yesterday, approved the sum of N13.08trillion as budget estimate for 2021.
Yesterday’s meeting was presided over by President Muhammadu Buhari.
The Minister of Finance, Budget and National Planning, Zainab Ahmed, at the end of the meeting, told journalists that that FEC had approved the budget estimates for 2023.
According to her, the budget proposal was N379 per dollar exchange rate; oil benchmark of $40 barrel per day; and oil production volume of 1.86 million per day.
Buhari had written the National Assembly, last Tuesday, to notify his intention to present the 2021 budget before the joint Assembly next week.
The Senate President, Dr Ahmad Lawan, had said during plenary, last Tuesday, said the president would present his budget next week for quick passage of the appropriation bill into law.
The Senate President while commending the Joint Committee on Finance and National Planning for carrying out comprehensive legislative work on the 2020-2022 Medium Term Expenditure Framework and Fiscal Strategy Paper, stated that consideration of its report by the upper chamber would precede presentation of the 2021 budget estimates next week by the President.
“The Joint committee will present its report to the Senate today for consideration. This is a precursor to the presentation of the 2021 Budget Estimates by the Executive Arm of Government soon. I am aware that the Executive will be presenting the 2021 Budget Estimates by next week,” Lawan said.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Continue Reading

Politics

INEC Plans Migration To E-Voting, Meets Machine Producers

Published

on

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), on Monday, commenced the processes that would lead to the replacement of manual voting with an electronic voting system.

Already, the commission has invited manufacturers of electronic voting machines around the world to practically demonstrate how the machines work, preparatory to the full migration.

The Chairman of INEC, Prof. Mahmood Yakubu, said this during the demonstration of electronic voting machines.

He said, “Over the years, the commission has been automating the critical pillars of the process. The biometric register of voters has been updated continuously. At the moment, the INEC register of voters is the largest database of citizens in Nigeria.

“In addition, the combination of biometric voter cards commonly known as the Permanent Voter Card and the Smart Card Reader have revolutionised the accreditation of voters during elections.

“More recently, the introduction of a number of portals has facilitated the seamless nomination of candidates for elective offices by political parties as well as the accreditation of observers and the media.

“Most significantly, the commission now uploads polling unit level results in real-time on Election Day to a portal for public view. These are significant innovations that have deepened the transparency and credibility of elections and the electoral process in Nigeria.

“The commission developed the specifications of the functions required of the machine. After extensive discussion and review, the commission took the decision to invite original manufacturers of electronic voting machines around the world for a virtual or practical demonstration of the machines.”

Yakubu revealed that over 40 companies, which indicated interest, would demonstrate to the commission how their IT solutions meet its specifications.

“The commission is aware that Nigerians want us to deepen the use of technology in elections. Let me reassure Nigerians that the commission is committed to expediting the process leading to the deployment of the EVMs in elections in earnest,” the INEC chairman said.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Continue Reading

Politics

PDP Knocks Akeredolu Over Comments On Mimiko, Ex-CJ

Published

on

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) National Campaign Council for Ondo Governorship Election has condemned a statement credited to the All Progressives Congress (APC) and Governor Rotimi Akeredolu against a former governor of the state, Olusegun Mimiko, and a former Chief Judge of the state, Justice Olasehinde Kumuyi.

Akeredolu was alleged to have said on a television programme that Mimiko and Kumuyi were his “enemies for life” for not supporting him and his party, the APC, ahead of the October 10, 2020 governorship election.

The PDP campaign council described the statement as hate speech.

This was contained in a statement titled, “PDP Condemns Akeredolu’s ‘Enemy For Life’ Comment On Mimiko, Kumuyi,” which was signed by the Chairman, Publicity Sub-Committee of the council, Kola Ologbondiyan, on Monday.

He said Akeredolu and the APC had become deflated and overwhelmed by the massive support for the PDP’s candidate, Eyitayo Jegede across the state.

The PDP said it was unfortunate that “the governor can toe such ungodly path in his desperation to cling to power despite being rejected by his people due to his failures.

“Akeredolu’s recourse to hate comments against patriotic leaders and citizens of Ondo State over the consensus by the people to replace him with the PDP candidate, Eyitayo Jegede.

“Our campaign wants Governor Akeredolu to note that the Ondo people cannot be cowed by his enmity towards them. Ondo State belongs to the people and Governor Akeredolu cannot intimidate anybody to submission.”

When contacted, the state Commissioner for Information, Hon Donald Ojogor, declined to react to the matter.

“They deserve no comment for their misdirected aggression,” Ojogor added.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Continue Reading

Trending