Connect with us

News

Kano Govt Continues Battle With Emir Sanusi

Published

on

The Kano State Government on Sunday prevented district heads outside the Kano Emirate from participating in the Sallah Durbar of Kano emir, Mohammed Sunusi.
A statement issued by Abba Anwar, the Chief Press Secretary to Governor Abdullahi Ganduje, announced the directive to the district heads to shun the annual religious event.
The directive may not be unconnected to the feud between the governor and the emir.
Many believe the crisis is because Mr Sanusi opposed Governor Ganduje’s reelection bid. However, the state government has accused the emir of corruption.
Earlier this year, the state government split the Kano Emirate into five. The emir challenged the decision in court, and the high court ordered that the status quo be maintained pending a ruling on the suit.
The state government, however, said it had concluded the split of the emirates before the court order.
On Sunday, the Kano government insisted the state now has five emirates.
“Against some calls circulating in the social media, that all District Heads were directed to attend Hawan Daushe at Kano Emir’s palace, the Kano state government has directed all Hakimai to attend Hawan Daushe at their respective Emirates,” Mr Anwar said in the statement.
“It is therefore directed that District Heads from Bichi Emirate should attend their Hawan Daushe with the First Class Emir of Bichi, Alhaji Aminu Ado Bayero, District Heads from Rano Emirate should attend Hawan Daushe with their First Class Emir Alhaji Dr Tafida Abubakar (Autan Bawo).
“All District Heads from Karaye Emirate should attend Hawan Daushe with their First Class Emir, Alhaji Dr Ibrahim Abubakar II, all District Heads from Gaya Emirate should attend Hawan Daushe with their First Class Emir, Alhaji Ibrahim Abdulkadir and those District Heads from Kano Emirate are also directed to attend Hawan Daushe with their First Class Emir, Muhammadu Sanusi II.
“While directing all Hakimai to comply with this directive, the state government wishes all Muslims fruitful, peaceful and prosperous Sallah celebration. As all measures to have a smooth, peaceful and hitch-free celebration are put in place.”
Many district heads under the new emirates are still loyal to Emir Sanusi and refused to pay allegiance to their new emirs.
On Saturday, the Emir of Gaya, Ibrahim Abdulkadir, suspended Sarki Ibrahim (District head of Wudil), Bello Abubakar (District Head of Gabasawa), Kabiru Hashim (District Head of Warawa), Yusuf Bayero (District Head of Dawakinkudu) and Muhammad Aliyu (District Head of Garko) for allegedly disobeying a series of directives by the emirate council.

Continue Reading

News

Buhari’s COS Queries FIRS Chairman Over Worsening Tax Collection

Published

on

Indications emerged yesterday that the Chief of Staff to President Muhammadu Buhari, Mr. Abba Kyari, has queried the Executive Chairman of the Federal Inland Revenue Service, Mr, Babatunde Fowler, over alleged discrepancies in tax collections from 2015 to 2018.
A letter dated August 8, 2019, and addressed to the FIRS chairman, which was signed by Kyari, asked Fowler to explain reasons for ‘significant’ variances in budgeted collections and actual collections of tax in 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018.
In the concerned years, the actual amount collected as tax fell below the budgeted target.
In 2015, actual collection was N3.7tn, while the budgeted target was N4.5tn.
A similar shortfall occurred in 2016, when actual collection was N3.307tn, less than the N4.95tn budgeted target.
Also, in 2017, the FIRS collected a total of N4.027tn, less than the set target of N4.89tn.

Continue Reading

News

NCP Charges FG On Minimum Wage

Published

on

The National Conscience Party (NCP) has urged the Federal Government to do its best to speedily resolve all issues delaying the implementation of the N30,000 minimum wage.
The Lagos State Chairman of the party, Mr Fatai Ibuowo, gave the advice in an interview with The Tide’s in Lagos, yesterday.
He said workers had endured enough hardship owing to the prevailing economic realities, saying that implementation of the new minimum wage would give them some succour.
“We are appealing to the Federal Government to do its best to implement the N30,000 minimum wage.
“Nigerian workers have faced a lot of hardship because of high costs of goods and services and so cannot wait to be paid the new wage.
“We are aware that there are issues between labour and government on what to pay as increment to those on certain levels,’’ Ibuowo said.
According to him, we must emphasise that all categories of workers deserve substantial wage increments in view of the present economic realities.
Ibuowo implored the government to arrive at a middle ground with labour and speedily implement the Minimum Wage Act, signed in April to better the lots of workers.
He noted that in a country where lawmakers earned what he called “astronomically-high wages and allowances’’, it was unfair not to pay workers a living wage.
The NCP chairman pointed out that the new N30,000 minimum wage, though better than the earlier N18,000, was still one of the lowest in the world .
Ibuowo said insecurity and corruption were major problems in the country, saying the issues could be addressed through improvement in workers’ welfare.
“Insecurity and corruption are two of the major problems facing our country now and we think by improving the welfare of workers, we can substantially address the problem.

Continue Reading

News

EFCC Probes FIRS Staff Over N1.2bn Fraud

Published

on

As part of its investiga
tion into the N1.2billion duty tour allowance fraud in the Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS), the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, has commenced a forensic analysis of the bank accounts of the staff members.
The Tide’s source gathered that EFCC detectives had obtained details of the bank accounts of FIRS staff and were carrying out a painstaking forensic investigation into “the financial inflows and outflows” in the various accounts in different commercial banks.
It was gathered that the aim of the detectives was to know the depth of the malfeasance perpetrated by the top echelons of the revenue agency in the last four years.
The commission, in April, 2019, recovered part of the DTA allowance from the beneficiaries who refunded millions of naira.
Following the development, the commission widened its investigation into the contracts awarded by the agency since the FIRS Chairman, Babatunde Fowler, assumed office in 2015.
Our correspondent had reported how Fowler attempted to influence the acting EFCC Chairman, Ibrahim Magu, to drop the ongoing investigation into the sleaze in the FIRS, but the anti-graft agency boss resisted the pressure.
The commission subsequently mobilised different teams to investigate the contract awards and estacode payment for foreign trips by the FIRS management.
Head of the FIRS Coordinator Support Services Group, Peter Hena, who allegedly authorised the illegal payment had reportedly made revealing statements during investigation about how the DTA fraud was perpetrated.
The FIRS Director of Finance, Mr Mohammed Auta, had similarly informed detectives that he acted on the instructions of Hena to disburse the fund.

Continue Reading

Trending