President Muhammadu Buhari yesterday in Abuja restated Nigeria’s support for the people of the Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic (SADR) and her quest for self-determination and independence.
At an audience granted the President of SADR, Brahim Ghali at the State House, the Nigerian leader stressed that the country’s position is in line with the several resolutions of the African Union (AU) and the United Nations (UN) on the matter.
He said: “Nigeria remains committed to supporting the efforts of the AU and the UN towards finding a lasting solution to the Sahrawi problem.”
Earlier, Ghali had congratulated President Buhari on his re-election and the successful celebration of Democracy Day.
He commended Nigeria’s past support for SADR during President Buhari’s tenure as military Head of State, and the country’s support for liberation movements on the African continent.
The SADR leader said the weight of Nigeria’s support remained crucial to the final resolution of the “continued colonisation of his people.”
Nigeria had recognised SADR on November 11, 1984 when General Buhari was Head of State.
Meanwhile, Justice Ijeoma Ojukwu of the Federal High Court Abuja, yesterday fixed September 30 for hearing in an application restraining the presidency from revoking firearm licences of Nigerians.
The motion for the interlocutory injunction was filed by the Board of Incorporated Trustees of Malcolm Foundation.
Our correspondent reports that on May 22, President Muhammadu Buhar, signed into law with executive powers to remove, revoke, banish all firearm or shotgun certificate or license in Nigeria
This executive order started June 1.
Justice Okukwu said that after careful consideration of the averments of the plaintiff, said she found them to be weighty and in relation to public interest.
She therefore said the defendant should be put on notice in order to show cause, why the relief sought by the plaintiff should not be entertained.
Chief Malcolm Omirhobo, a constitutional lawyer and the plaintiff, in his adumbration, told the court that the Nigerian constitution provided for the inalienable right for self defence.
The lawyer said that Nigerians with firearm licences were responsible citizens who are law abiding, and the revocation of their licences will automatically violate their right to self defence.
He further said that the withdrawal of firearms from responsible citizens shall leave them vulnerable to incessant attacks from foreign elements purportedly assailing the country.
Omirhobo maintained that though the firearms act has given the presidency the power to withdraw licences, the constitution has also given individuals the right to life and self defence.
He said in a situation where there were not enough police with guns, what shall happen to self defence if guns are withdrawn.
He also said it was dangerous for the executive to revoke the firearm licences, considering the reality of the security situation in the country.
The lawyer moved the motion after telling the court that the motion was supported by 73 paragraph affidavit with nine exhibits.
“We have certificate of compliance dated May 24 and a written address in support of the application and wish to adopt the averments alongside the exhibits,’’ he said.
RSG Warns Owner Of Proudest Hotel To Stop Blackmailing NCDC
Our attention has been drawn to a recent misleading petition, signed by one Mr. Needam Promise Gogorobari, Owner, Prodest Hotel and dated 24th May 2020,
to the effect that the convicted Manager of Prodest Hotel, Mr. Bariledum Job Azoroh, who recently tested positive for Covid-19 disease amongst 27 others, in a result released by the National Centre for Disease Control, NCDC, may have allegedly been infected on the instructions of the Rivers State Government.
Much as we had restrained ourselves from responding to previous similar publications by this same person, since the subject matter was still before a court of competent jurisdiction, we are now compelled to reply this obviously spurious, deliberately misleading and intentionally provocative petition with a proper response, to set the records straight and caution the sponsors of this action from further pedlling such falsehoods in the public space.
For the avoidance of doubt and for the information of the general public, let us state categorically here that the FACTS of this matter are very clear, viz:
1. A Port Harcourt Senior Magistrates’ Court on May 18th, 2020 CONVICTED Mr. Bariledum Azoro, Manager of Prodest Hotel, Eleme and sentenced him to a fine of N50,000 for contravening paragraphs 3 and 4 of Executive Order RVSG 07 2020 on closure of hotels, guest houses and related outfits and provision of manifests in the state.
2. The Senior Magistrates’ Court also ordered that th convict,Mr. Azoroh should be quarantined at the Isolation Centre in Yakubu Gowon Stadium, Elekahia for 14 days to ascertain his coronavirus status.
3. That while in the Court Ordered Quarantine, competent health officials carried out mandatory tests on all suspected Coronavirus individuals at the centre, including Mr.Bariledum Job Azoroh, to ascertain their Covid-19 status.
It is important to state here that COVID-19 tests undergo World Health Organization, (WHO) and NCDC guidelines and are conducted under strict established medical protocols.
4. That prior to the publication of the test results, the owner of PRODEST Hotel Eleme, Mr. Gogorobari Needam had published one of his misleading petitions in an attempt to preempt the outcome of the test and the question we want to ask is: ‘Why did the hotel owner try to preempt the outcome of the test. Was he trying to cover up something?
5. That on Sunday, 24th May, 2020, the NCDC announced that Rivers State had 27 recorded positive cases including Mr.Bariledum Job Azoroh, from tests carried out in the state.
6. That following the official announcement of the result and confirmation of his Manager’s Covid-19 positive status, the PRODEST Hotel owner has once again released another statement and this time is now calling for a state of emergency in Rivers State because his manager tested positive for Covid-19.
7. Rivers people will recall that on May 19, 2020, we raised an alarm intimating the world of a clandestine plot by some Abuja politicians hiding under the cover of Covid-19 to instigate a State of Emergency in the state. Today, a hotel owner in Eleme, who lives in Lagos is also now calling for a State of Emergency. Is there any wonder therefore as to who is beating the drum for him?
8. Indeed there seems to be more to this than meets the ordinary eye and we are calling on all well-meaning people to see the need to interrogate this man and know that he is acting out a script. Infact, the entire petition sounds and reads like something lifted directly from the copy book of those who have been desperately trying to run down the Rivers State Government. This is desperation taken too far.
9. We even recall vividly that Mr. Needam Promise Gogorobari had, in an interview published in the Punch Newspaper of May 15, 2020 titled: “No ill feeling towards Wike for demolishing my hotel – Gogorobari”, actually stated categorically that he holds no grudge against Governor Wike for demolishing the hotel. His words: “Who am I not to forgive him? I don’t hold any grudge against him. I just feel that God wanted it to happen that way”. So what happened to make him change his mind? Is it not obvious that the agents of evil and those who do not mean well for Rivers State have reached him and are now beating this drum of dissent for him?
10. Again, We want to state categorically here that Government doesn’t conduct Covid-19 tests. Trained Health professionals follow the relevant medical protocols set down by WHO, the Federal Ministry of Health and the NCDC, to conduct these tests.
11. The claim therefore that the PRODEST Hotel manager, Mr. Bariledum Job Azoroh, was infected while in detention is not only laughable and preposterous, but sadly and dangerously exposes the amazing ignorance and naivety of Mr. Needam Promise Gogorobari and those sponsoring him about the deadly nature of the Covid-19 disease. How does one even carry such a deadly virus around and infect people with it?
12. Rather than commend the Rivers State Government for stemming the tide of infection that would have arisen if the Hotel used for clandestine parties was not demolished and the Manager arrested, the owner is crying wolf where there is none.
13. We also want to caution Mr. Needam Promise Gogorobari to be very mindful of his claims that his hotel Manager “has been framed up by an unorthodox hired medical officers recruited by Governor Wike with a report that he has tested positive to COVID-19 whilst in detention with the Rivers State Government”.
This is a clear accusation and indictment of the reputation and authority of the NCDC.
14 We also want to call the attention of Mr. Needam Gogorobari that we take exception to his description of the Isolation Centre in Port Harcourt, as an “illegal detention facility in Stadium, Elekahia, Port Harcourt” and to inform him and his sponsors that the Director General of NCDC, Dr. Chikwe Ihekweazu and a team from the World Health Organization, were in Rivers State on a working visit in April this year and not only praised Governor Nyesom Wike for his leadership and handling of the Covid-19 outbreak. but also applauded his medical health team and all the facilities put in place in response to the Coronavirus.
We will therefore be keen to know how the NCDC will react, when they read your description of a facility they approved, as ‘a detention centre’.
15. Finally, we want to assure the good people of the state that the Rivers State Government remains resolute in its fight to curtail the spread of COVID-19 in the state and we will not be deterred by cheap blackmail and misleading propaganda.
16 Governor Wike is determined to employ and deploy appropriate strategies to keep Rivers State safe.
17. We call on all residents to work together with the Governor to defeat Covid-19 in Rivers State and by the Grace of God we will be victorious.
Commissioner for Information and Communications
May 26, 2020
Banigo Felicitates With Justice Wike On Her Birthday
Rivers State Deputy Governor, Dr. Mrs. Ipalibo Harry Banigo has felicitated with the wife of the State Chief Executive Hon. Justice Eberechi Suzzette Nyesom Wike as she celebrates her birthday on Saturday, 23rd May, 2020.
In a statement from the Government House in Port Harcourt on Friday, 23rd May 2020, Dr. Banigo described Hon. Justice Wike as a humane and God fearing woman who is a great pillar of strength to our amiable Governor, Nyesom Ezenwo Wike.
While wishing her many happy returns the Deputy Governor prayed the Almighty God to continue to protect and bless Hon. Justice Eberechi Suzzette Nyesom Wike.
Former Nigeria President Jonathan Loses Foster Dad.
The family of former Nigerian President,Goodluck Jonathan and the Otuoke community of Ogbia Local Government Area of Bayelsa state has been thrown into mourning as the News of the sudden demise of Chief Nitabai Inegite,the former president’s foster father reached them.
Featured4 days ago
Rivers Records 27 New Coronavirus Cases …Manager Of Prodest Hotel Among The New Cases
Featured4 days ago
PROBE: EFCC Should Stop Media Trial – Rivers State Government
Featured2 days ago
RSG Cancels Lockdown Of Obio/Akpor, Port Harcourt Local Government
Featured2 days ago
COVID-19 Decisions Are Taken By State Security Council – Governor Wike
Featured4 days ago
RIWAMA Sole Administrator Congratulates Hon (Mrs) Justice Suzzette Eberechi Nyesom-Wike On Her Birthday
Featured3 days ago
Governor Wike Releases N450M To 2019 Presidential Election Violence Victims In Abonnema
News1 day ago
RSG Warns Owner Of Proudest Hotel To Stop Blackmailing NCDC
Politics14 hours ago
CROSIEC Deploys About 8,000 Personnel For LG Elections