Connect with us

Law/Judiciary

Gbong Gwom Jos Kingship: Paramount Ruler Seeks To Join As Co-defendant

Published

on

The paramount ruler of Ganawuri, the Ataa Aten, Yakubu Chaimai, on Tuesday sought the leave of a Plateau State High Court to be  joined as co-defender in the suit challenging Governor Simon Lalong’s attempt to tamper with the Gbong Gwom Jos Stool.
Seven of the “illustrious sons of Berom nation”, had on May 23 dragged the state government before Justice Christine Dabup of state High Court, over its attempt at tampering with the composition of the Gbong Gwom Jos Traditional Council.
Reports in Jos that Gov Lalong had created two traditional councils out of the Jos Traditional Council, which did not go down well with the Berom nation, which filed a case challenging such action.
Consequently, the court on May23 issued an interim injunction stopping Lalong from tampering with the composition of the Gbong Gwom Jos Traditional Council.
Joined in the suit are Plateau State Government as the 1st defendant, while the state attorney general and commissioner for Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs are 2nd and 3rd defendants.
Others are the chairman, Jos North Local Government, and chairman, Riyom Local Government.
When the case came up for hearing on Tuesday, Chaimai, through his Counsel, Mr Titus Mann announced his appearance and wish to join in the case as as a co- defendant.
“My Lord, l am Titus Mann, counsel, to the Ataa Aten of Ganawuri, who wish to be joined as a co-defender in this matter.
“We have already filed our processes with a motion on notice to join in the case,” Mann announced.
Mr Edward Pwajok, SAN, the plaintiffs’ lead counsel, had earlier told the court that the case was for hearing, but that he had received three different motions from the defendants.
“My Lord, we have a motion on notice that we hope to move today, but for the three motions we have just been served with, we cannot go on simply because we need to study them and reply to them.
“While one of motions seeks for the setting aside of the interim injunction this court had issued, another is seeking for an extension of time to reply to our motion on notice.
“The third one is the motion on notice by Mr Titus Mann seeking to join on behalf of the Ataa Aten of Ganawuri as co-defender.
“Your Lordship, in view of the fact that there is need for us to formally reply to these processes in the interest of justice, we hereby apply for a very short adjournment during which we would have responded to all the processes, “ Pwajok solicited.
Responding, the state Attorney-General, Mr Chrysanthus Ahmadu,  counsel to the defendants, who was represented by Mrs Rauta Dakota, a director in the Justice Ministry, said, “that’s the true position of things, My Lord.”
“We have filed two motions; one seeking for an extension of time to reply to plaintiffs motion on notice and the second asking the court to set aside the interim injunction it issued to the plaintiffs.
“Therefore, we are not objecting to the application for an adjournment,” She said.
Pwajok however, notified the court of the interim injunction which he said still subsist pending the determination of the case,
After listening to the parties involved, Justice Dabup adjourned the case to June 24 for hearing.
It was gathered that the state government had on May 14 created Riyom and Jos North Traditional Councils out of the Jos Joint Traditional Council.
The creation of the two councils left the Jos Joint Traditional Council with only two local governments – Jos and Barkin-Ladi – instead of the former four.
The state government also announced that the Attaa Aten of Ganawuri would chair the Riyom Traditional Council, while the Ujah of Anaguta would head the Jos North Traditional Council.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Continue Reading

Law/Judiciary

Five Feared Killed In Fresh Kaduna Attack

Published

on

A Sunday evening attack by gunmen on Unguwan Magaj community in Kauru Local Council of Kaduna State may have left four indigenes dead and 36 homes torched.
But the bravery of the youths reportedly led to the death of one of the attackers and confiscation of his handset.
Useful information was said to have been retrieved from the phone that had allegedly been handed over to the police.
In a statement yesterday, the National Public Relations Officer of the Southern Kaduna Peoples Union (SOKAPU), Luka Biniyat, said: “The invaders, who came by 6:45 pm yesterday (Sunday) from behind the hills that serve as the boundary of Kaduna State and Ganawuri, Plateau State, were numbered over a 100.
“They attacked from four flanks, causing pandemonium among unsuspecting villagers as the youths tried to fend them off.”
He continued: “After about 30 minutes of violence, the following were unfortunately killed: Mrs Hanatu Joseph, 58, mother of five children; Mrs Sarah Sunday, 40, she left behind her husband and six children.
“The others are: Mrs Dije Sajay, 55, married with six children; and Mr Sunday David, 47, married with seven children. He was a retrenched civil servant.”
He noted: “The attackers targeted food stores and bans of grains, making sure they burnt as much as they could. This is to ostensibly cause starvation, especially under this lockdown from the Coronavirus.
“Police and soldiers came into Unguwan Magaji only this morning (yesterday) around 9 am and saw the corpse of the dead herdsman, which they later took away.”
Besides, Biniyat said: “Early this month yesterday, Ibrahim Atiga, 42, a native of Unguwan Magaji, was killed by herdsmen on his way to the farm. He has since been buried.”

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Continue Reading

Law/Judiciary

COVID-19: Nigerian Correctional Service Receives 2nd Batch Of PPE

Published

on

The Nigerian Correctional Service (NCoS), Lagos State Command, yesterday said the state government had released the second batch of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) to the service.
The Spokesman of the command, Supt. Rotimi Oladoku, made this known in an interview with newsmen in Lagos.
The Tide reports that the items donated were hand gloves, face marks, inferred thermometers and sanitisers.
Oladokun said the gesture was part of the preventive measures taken by the state government, especially at custodial centers, to contain the spread of the virus.
“The first set of the PPE was released to the command on March 27 and the command also received the second bath on April 20,” he said.
According to Oladokun, the Lagos State NCoS Controller, Mr Sam Iyakoregha, received the items on behalf of the Controller-General of NCoS, Ahmed Ja’afaru.
“The NCoS thanks the Lagos State government for this tremendous support. The NCoS is well positioned to prevent COVID-19 in the custodial centres,” he said.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Continue Reading

Law/Judiciary

I’ll Give Special Attention To Respect For Citizens’ Fundamental Rights – CP …Citizens Set Agenda For Him

Published

on

The new Rivers State  Commissioner of Police, Mr Joseph Mukan has said that he would give special  attention to  respect for citizens’ fundamental human rights in the state.
This was contained in a statement issued by the  Public Relations Officer of the Rivers State Police  Command, DSP Nnamdi Omoni and made available to newsmen last Monday in Port Harcourt .
The statement said that Mr Mukan would rekindle the people’s confidence in the police and as well reposition the command for efficiency and productivity.
According to the statement, the new Police Commissioner would be expected to work with humility and integrity as part of efforts to command a better police force in the state.
It further revealed that the Rivers police boss has an impeccable track record in crime fighting, thus the trust to make good his promises.
The Rivers State Commissioner of Police, however, through the statement, solicited for cooperation in terms of information sharing from the people in order to help the command to serve them better.
Meanwhile, some members of the public have called on the new Police Commissioner to remain neutral and face his primary assignment of policing.
A Port Harcourt-Based lawyer, Emperor Nnaoma, who spoke in an interview with The Tide , yesterday, said Mr Mukan must pay priority attention to his core mandate of crime fighting, if he wants to succeed in the state.
Nnaoma, recalled that previous Commissioners of Police who went outside their major task never ended well in the state.
In his view, the Eze Oha Evo III of Evo Kingdom, King Leslie N Eke, said the Commissioner should make out time to check the activities of some of his men who allow themselves into chieftaincy issues in the communities.
The Eze Gbakagbaka/Nyerisi Eli Woji, said that such interference has divided the attention of some police officers in the state as they are always tempted to dance to the tune of their pay masters.

 

By: King Onunwor

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Continue Reading

Trending