Connect with us

News

Boko Haram: UN, #BBOG, CAN Condemn Hauwa’s Murder …As Four Die In Adamawa Mob Attack

Published

on

The United Nations has condemned Monday’s execution of another International Committee of the Red Cross worker by Boko Haram terrorists.
The UN Secretary General, António Guterres called for the prosecution of the terrorists.
Hauwa Liman was killed after a deadline given by the terror group for government to meet its demands elapsed, on Monday.
The terror group had executed Ms Liman’s colleague, Saifura Khursa, in September, before threatening to kill Ms Liman and a third staff of the outfit, Alice Ngaddah, in October.
The three ICRC officials were kidnapped in March in an IDP camp in Rann, a community in Borno State.
The terror group promised to ‘enslave’ Ms Ngaddah and a Dapchi student kidnapped by the group in February, Leah Sharibu.
The killings have been condemned by local and international groups, across the world.
In the statement by the global body, Mr Guterres called on the Nigerian government and local authorities in the North-east to ensure the protection of humanitarian workers in the war-torn region.
The UN statement was signed by Mr Gutteres’ spokesperson, Stéphane Dujarric.
“The Secretary-General is appalled and strongly condemns the killing of an aid worker from the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) in north-east Nigeria on Monday. The aid worker, Hauwa Mohammed Liman, had been held hostage since March 2018 and was killed by her captors.
“The Secretary-General expresses his deepest condolences to the family, friends and colleagues of Ms Liman and expresses his solidarity with the President and staff of the ICRC. Those responsible for this killing must be brought to justice.
“The Secretary-General expresses his concern for the safety and well-being of the remaining hostages and calls for their immediate release.
“The Secretary-General emphasises that all parties to the conflict must protect aid workers who provide life-saving humanitarian assistance to the millions of people in need in north-east Nigeria.
In a similar reaction, the #BringBackOurGirls group joined other Nigerians in condemning the execution, describing it as an unfortunate consequence of the government’s failure.
“Today is yet another dark day in our nation. The heart-breaking news of the death of Hauwa Leman comes as an extreme shock which leaves us devastated by the deeply regrettable consequences of the Government’s failure,” the group said in a statement signed by its leaders, Edith Yassin, Nifemi Onifade and Gapani Tanya.
The #BBOG lamented what it described as government’s obvious neglect of the remaining 112 Chibok girls and called on government to ensure the safe release of the girls and Ms Sharibu.
The #BBOG staged a protest on Tuesday in Abuja to highlight its demands.
Also, the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) condemned Ms Liman’s murder. In a statement issued on Tuesday, it prayed for the repose of the victim’s soul.
“CAN prays to God to give the families of the bereaved, the leadership of the Nigerian Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs (NSCIA), their friends, colleagues, and the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), the fortitude to bear the irreplaceable loss.
“May God console and comfort you all. Our heart goes with you and ask God to heal your wounds and restore sanity to our country. May those responsible for the wanton killings in the country repent and reconcile with the entire populace in Jesus’ Name.”
Meanwhile, Adamawa Police Command yesterday confirmed the killing of four travelers with four others hospitalized in an attack by some youths in Bali village of Demsa Local Government Area of Adamawa.
The Spokesman of the command, SP Othman Abubakar, who confirmed the incident, said investigation had begun to arrest the perpetrators.
Abubakar who said no arrest had been made so far called for calm and cautioned against reprisal attacks.
“We are doing everything to bring the suspects to book, there is no need for reprisal attack as two wrongs do not make a right,” Abubakar said.
Speaking on the incident, the driver of the affected truck, who identified himself as Adamu, said they left Numan on their way to Jalingo when some armed youths directed them to stop.
“I refused to stop seeing that they were armed but they chased me using motor-cycles and caught up with us near Pasham.
“I stopped and we tried to run but they caught up with me and others and started beating us before the people of Pasham came to our rescue.
“Four of my passengers were killed and some injured,” Adamu said.

Continue Reading

News

Obasanjo, Abdulsalami, Sultan, Others Brainstorm On Insecurity

Published

on

Rising insecurity and agitations for secession by different ethnic groups across Nigeria has attracted the attention of elder statesmen and other national leaders to a meeting in Abuja.

The meeting was organised by Interfaith Initiatives for Peace jointly led by the Sultan of Sokoto, Muhammad Sa’ad Abubakar, and Emeritus Cardinal John Onaiyekan, and the National Peace Committee chaired by Gen Abdulsalami Abubakar (rtd).

Reporters were barred from taking part in the closed-door meeting, expected to proffer solutions to the ongoing security challenges threatening the peace and unity of the country.

It was also an exploratory meeting on pressing issues of national unity, security, peace, integration, economic revitalisation and development, women and youth welfare and general progress.

Former President Olusegun Obasanjo; former Head of State, General Abdulsalam Abubakar (rtd); Sultan of Sokoto, Muhammad Sa’ad Abubakar; Ooni of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Enitan Ogunwusi; Tor Tiv, Prof Ortese Iorzua James Ayatse, Emeritus Cardinal John Onaiyekan; President General (Ohanaeze Ndigbo), Prof George Obiozor; and Afenifere leader, Ayo Adebanjo; were all in attendance.

Others sighted at the meeting are President of Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), Comrade Ayuba Wabba; CAN General Secretary, Joseph Daramola; JAMB Registrar, Prof Ishaq Oloyede; Etsu Nupe, Yahya Abubakar; former Minister of Agriculture, Chief Audu Ogbe, among several political and traditional rulers at the meeting.

Elder statesmen, Chief Edwin Clark, also attended the event at the Congress Hall of Transcorp Hilton Hotel, Abuja, but could not participate in the meeting because he could not climb the staircase to the meeting room.

Continue Reading

News

Fighting Corruption Difficult In Democratic Setting, Buhari Laments

Published

on

President Muhammadu Buhari says fighting corruption in democratic setting is a difficult task to accomplish.

The president disclosed this during an interview with Arise Television which was televised, yesterday.

According to him, the war against corruption has not been easy for him since he became a democratically elected president six years ago.

He, however, stressed that his administration had succeeded in easing out corrupt public officials without making noise about it.

Buhari recalled that much was achieved in the fight against corruption when he was military Head of State in the early 80s “when a lot of people were sent to prisons before I was also booted out”.

The president frowned at the way and manner local government system was being managed, saying the local government administration was almost non-existent in the country.

He cited situation where state governors continued to starve the local governments of funds saying “in a situation where N300million is allocated to local government and they are given N100million is not fair”.

On activities of bandits and kidnappers particularly in the North-West and North-Central zones, Buhari said he had given the police and Armed Forces the instructions to be ruthless with bandits and vandals terrorising innocent citizens across the country.

He stated that he had told the security agencies to treat bandits and other criminals in the “the language they understand.

“Problem in the north-west; you have people over there stealing each other’s cattle and burning each other’s villages.

“Like I said, we are going to treat them in the language they understand.

“We have given the police and the military the power to be ruthless. You watch it in a few weeks’ time there will be difference.

”Because we told them if we keep people away from their farm, we are going to starve. And the government can’t control the public.

“If you allow hunger, the government is going to be in trouble and we don’t want to be in trouble.

“We are already in enough trouble. So, we warn them sooner than later you’ll see the difference,’’ he said.

On farmers/herders clashes, the president said the problem had persisted because old cattle routes and grazing areas had been violated by development, adding that those who had taken over such traditional arrangements would be dispossessed.

On the fight against insurgency, Buhari dismissed the assertion that majority of Boko Haram members were foreigners.

According to him, the majority of the Boko Haram members are Nigerians, saying this was further corroborated by Borno State Governor, Prof Babagana Zulum.

The president stated that his administration had done a lot to fight the terrorists and insurgents but the problem in the “North-East is very difficult.”

Continue Reading

News

Igboho Declares June 12 Day Of Protest, Warns Buhari

Published

on

Sunday Adeyemo, popularly known as Sunday Igboho, has declared June 12 as day of protest for Yoruba nation agitators.

The self-acclaimed Yoruba activist said the agitators will hold ‘peaceful rallies’ across the South-West region on Saturday, June 12.

Igboho, who spoke through his spokesman, Olayomi Koiki, in a live video programme aired, last Wednesday night, called on South-West governors to cooperate with the peaceful protesters during the exercise.

He warned the President Muhammadu Buhari-led administration not to attack the agitators.

He said, “Let us warn the Federal Government that if there is bloodshed this weekend, the international community is watching, if the military kills any Nigerian this weekend, it is going to be very hot.

“The Yoruba nation rally will go ahead in every part of Yoruba land and the rest of the country where it will hold.

“Red alarm will begin on Friday. People should stock up food Items from Friday night.

“We are not backing down this weekend; we are ready to take back what belongs to us.”

He also enjoined agitators to ‘fast’ on Friday.

This is coming after NANS under the leadership of its National President, Comrade Sunday Asefon, had declared June 12 as National Day of peaceful protest to call on the government to act decisively towards addressing insecurity.

Continue Reading

Trending