Connect with us

News

DSS Detains Aisha Buhari’s ADC Over N2.5bn Fraud …Suspect Denies Allegation

Published

on

The Department of State Services has taken into custody the Aide-de-Camp to the wife of the President, Mr. Sani Baba-Inna, over his alleged diversion of N2.5 billion cash donation meant for Aisha Buhari.
The Spokesman for the DSS, Mr. Peter Afunanya, confirmed to newsmen yesterday that Baba-Inna, a Chief Superintendent of Police, was handed over to the agency by the police.
“We took custody of the ADC for further investigation, having been transferred to us by the police,” Afunanya said.
“ It is true that he is with us and we are going to carry out our investigation,” the spokesman said but did not give further details.
It would be recalled that the president’s wife’s aide was detained since last weekend over alleged diversion of the huge amount but the police said they did not find any such amount either in his known bank accounts from the raid on his Abuja residence.
The police verdict reportedly angered Mrs. Buhari, who sought the transfer of the suspected aide to the DSS for further grilling to determine the whereabouts of the alleged missing cash.
The cash is said to have been donated by top-ranking and influential persons in the country to the number one woman in the country for undisclosed purposes.
But Baba-Inna has denied ever receiving or keeping such amount on behalf of Mrs. Buhari.
Meanwhile, indication emerged yesterday that the Police Headquarters has invited the person that wrote a petition on behalf of the wife of the President, Mrs. Aisha Buhari over fraud allegation against the First Lady’s Aide De Camp.
An online media had reported that scandal was brewing within the household of President Muhammadu Buhari, alleging that Sani Baba-Inna, a chief superintendent of police, received huge donations from politicians and business people on her behalf and then kept the cash to himself.
But a source privy to the matter told our correspondent that the brain behind the petition has been invited by the Police at the Police Headquarters, Abuja, to give details of the allegation.
According to the source, “The person that wrote the petition on behalf of the First Lady is already at the Police Headquarters right now.”
It was reported that as a result of the information to Mrs Buhari, she requested the Inspector General of Police, Ibrahim Idris, to arrest and compel Mr. Baba-Inna to refund the money which was said to be N2.5 billion.
The online media had alleged that the police officer was arrested on Friday and kept in detention, with relatives having no access to him, family members say.
Although it has not been made public how the president’s wife came to know about the allegation, a source in her office allegedly claimed that one of the aides in the President wife’s office originated the claim.
An associate of the embattled police officer said Mr. Baba-Inna strongly denied the allegation, saying he received no donation from anyone on behalf of his boss.
It was gathered that immediately the police received the petition from Mrs Buhari, the ADC was arrested on Friday last week and investigation launched.
One the sources reportedly stated that, “The IG said the matter must be investigated immediately and the house of the ADC was raided.
“Shockingly, investigators only found N1,200 cash in the House. His bank account was also investigated and had only a balance of N30,000 while the transaction records showed that most credits to the account were his salaries and allowances.”
The police, it was gathered, concluded that Mrs Buhari must have been wrongly informed as there was nothing to show or prove that such huge sums of money was in the custody of Mr Baba-Inna.
An associate of Mr. Baba-Inna said the police contacted those named as donors of the controversial funds but that they all denied making the donations attributed to them.
“For instance, one of those named was the IG of Police himself,” the source said.
“But the IG said he has never passed any money through Baba-Inna.” When Mrs Buhari was informed of the outcome of police investigation, the source said the first lady flared up and accused the police of colluding “to protect one of their own”.
She then reportedly asked the State Security Service (SSS) to take over the case and get her money back.”
Following the information available to her, the wife of the president was said to have given orders that the matter should be investigated, hence, operatives from the Department of State Service, DSS took custody of Mr Baba Inna.
When contacted, the spokesperson of the wife of the president, Suleiman Haruna, said although he heard about the matter, he was trying to get details of the matter from Mrs Buhari, who he said is currently travelling in New York.

Continue Reading

News

Obasanjo, Abdulsalami, Sultan, Others Brainstorm On Insecurity

Published

on

Rising insecurity and agitations for secession by different ethnic groups across Nigeria has attracted the attention of elder statesmen and other national leaders to a meeting in Abuja.

The meeting was organised by Interfaith Initiatives for Peace jointly led by the Sultan of Sokoto, Muhammad Sa’ad Abubakar, and Emeritus Cardinal John Onaiyekan, and the National Peace Committee chaired by Gen Abdulsalami Abubakar (rtd).

Reporters were barred from taking part in the closed-door meeting, expected to proffer solutions to the ongoing security challenges threatening the peace and unity of the country.

It was also an exploratory meeting on pressing issues of national unity, security, peace, integration, economic revitalisation and development, women and youth welfare and general progress.

Former President Olusegun Obasanjo; former Head of State, General Abdulsalam Abubakar (rtd); Sultan of Sokoto, Muhammad Sa’ad Abubakar; Ooni of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Enitan Ogunwusi; Tor Tiv, Prof Ortese Iorzua James Ayatse, Emeritus Cardinal John Onaiyekan; President General (Ohanaeze Ndigbo), Prof George Obiozor; and Afenifere leader, Ayo Adebanjo; were all in attendance.

Others sighted at the meeting are President of Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), Comrade Ayuba Wabba; CAN General Secretary, Joseph Daramola; JAMB Registrar, Prof Ishaq Oloyede; Etsu Nupe, Yahya Abubakar; former Minister of Agriculture, Chief Audu Ogbe, among several political and traditional rulers at the meeting.

Elder statesmen, Chief Edwin Clark, also attended the event at the Congress Hall of Transcorp Hilton Hotel, Abuja, but could not participate in the meeting because he could not climb the staircase to the meeting room.

Continue Reading

News

Fighting Corruption Difficult In Democratic Setting, Buhari Laments

Published

on

President Muhammadu Buhari says fighting corruption in democratic setting is a difficult task to accomplish.

The president disclosed this during an interview with Arise Television which was televised, yesterday.

According to him, the war against corruption has not been easy for him since he became a democratically elected president six years ago.

He, however, stressed that his administration had succeeded in easing out corrupt public officials without making noise about it.

Buhari recalled that much was achieved in the fight against corruption when he was military Head of State in the early 80s “when a lot of people were sent to prisons before I was also booted out”.

The president frowned at the way and manner local government system was being managed, saying the local government administration was almost non-existent in the country.

He cited situation where state governors continued to starve the local governments of funds saying “in a situation where N300million is allocated to local government and they are given N100million is not fair”.

On activities of bandits and kidnappers particularly in the North-West and North-Central zones, Buhari said he had given the police and Armed Forces the instructions to be ruthless with bandits and vandals terrorising innocent citizens across the country.

He stated that he had told the security agencies to treat bandits and other criminals in the “the language they understand.

“Problem in the north-west; you have people over there stealing each other’s cattle and burning each other’s villages.

“Like I said, we are going to treat them in the language they understand.

“We have given the police and the military the power to be ruthless. You watch it in a few weeks’ time there will be difference.

”Because we told them if we keep people away from their farm, we are going to starve. And the government can’t control the public.

“If you allow hunger, the government is going to be in trouble and we don’t want to be in trouble.

“We are already in enough trouble. So, we warn them sooner than later you’ll see the difference,’’ he said.

On farmers/herders clashes, the president said the problem had persisted because old cattle routes and grazing areas had been violated by development, adding that those who had taken over such traditional arrangements would be dispossessed.

On the fight against insurgency, Buhari dismissed the assertion that majority of Boko Haram members were foreigners.

According to him, the majority of the Boko Haram members are Nigerians, saying this was further corroborated by Borno State Governor, Prof Babagana Zulum.

The president stated that his administration had done a lot to fight the terrorists and insurgents but the problem in the “North-East is very difficult.”

Continue Reading

News

Igboho Declares June 12 Day Of Protest, Warns Buhari

Published

on

Sunday Adeyemo, popularly known as Sunday Igboho, has declared June 12 as day of protest for Yoruba nation agitators.

The self-acclaimed Yoruba activist said the agitators will hold ‘peaceful rallies’ across the South-West region on Saturday, June 12.

Igboho, who spoke through his spokesman, Olayomi Koiki, in a live video programme aired, last Wednesday night, called on South-West governors to cooperate with the peaceful protesters during the exercise.

He warned the President Muhammadu Buhari-led administration not to attack the agitators.

He said, “Let us warn the Federal Government that if there is bloodshed this weekend, the international community is watching, if the military kills any Nigerian this weekend, it is going to be very hot.

“The Yoruba nation rally will go ahead in every part of Yoruba land and the rest of the country where it will hold.

“Red alarm will begin on Friday. People should stock up food Items from Friday night.

“We are not backing down this weekend; we are ready to take back what belongs to us.”

He also enjoined agitators to ‘fast’ on Friday.

This is coming after NANS under the leadership of its National President, Comrade Sunday Asefon, had declared June 12 as National Day of peaceful protest to call on the government to act decisively towards addressing insecurity.

Continue Reading

Trending