Connect with us

Sports

NYG: Sports Directors Hail Ministry, Urge Improvement In Screening Standard

Published

on

The state directors of sports have commended the Federal Ministry of Youth and Sports Development for the successful organisation of the just-concluded 4th National Youth Games (NYG) at the University of Ilorin.
The directors gave the commendation while speaking with the Tidesports source at the end of the Games held from Sept. 7 to Sept. 17 in the ancient city of Ilorin.
Some of the directors, however, called for improvement in the areas of screening and accommodation of athletes in subsequent editions of the games.
Rivers Sports Commission, Director, Ezekiel Ordu, noted that a more scientific method should be employed in ascertaining the age of the athletes.
“There should be an improvement in screening because we should not be talking about ascertaining age through physical examination of the athletes in this age.
“The federal government should get a scientific method to screen the athletes because it will help us in case of protests by disqualified athletes.
“Such measure will help us to ascertain the real age of the athletes instead of having cases of age forgery,” Ordu said.
The Benue Sports Director, Philip Nondo said that the method of screening adopted at the event in Ilorin should be discouraged in subsequent games.
“I congratulate the sports ministry for the organisation of the games.
“No one is perfect; from what we have seen so far, the screening was okay initially by us except for some states that wanted to win medals by all means, and injected athletes that are ineligible to take part in the competition.
“They should stop discouraging the younger ones as the first screening was perfect, but the re-screening was what spoilt the whole exercise.
“So, if you give people some work to do, allow them to do so without interference,” Nondo said.
General Manager, Ekiti Sports Council, Deji Shawon, advised the organisers to fine-tune the accreditation and accommodation arrangements in subsequent games.
“We ought to have a system to be able to register childbirth so that we don’t always have cases of age cheats.
“There were so many fake birth certificates presented; so, the system should be upgraded so that when we have children right away from birth, they will be registered and won’t have to go through the nitty-gritty such as this.
“There is need to improve on accommodation because these are young children from good homes, sleeping on good beds and from good environment at home.
“For them to come here and sleep anyhow isn’t encouraging; it is something that can be improved upon.
“So, when we come for the next edition, most of these things will be put right.
“There is also the need to improve on feeding because putting little accompaniments on food isn’t the best,” Shawon said.
On his part, Director of Sports in Niger, Baba Sheshi, said that the hostels should be renovated before the next edition of the games.
“Even the children have derive maximum satisfaction from the games, and this will go a long way in uniting us.
“But, there is room for improvement in terms of logistics and accommodation though we were told that the university management was ready to start the renovation of the hostels to be used for the just-concluded event.”

Continue Reading

Sports

Tokyo 2020: Naomi Osaka Beats China’s Saisai In Straight Sets

Published

on

Japan’s Naomi Osaka returns a shot to China’s Zheng Saisai, during their Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games women’s singles, first round tennis match at the Ariake Tennis Park in Tokyo .
Japan’s Naomi Osaka won in straight sets on her highly-anticipated return to court at the Tokyo Olympics yesterday, while world number one Ashleigh Barty crashed out in the first round.
Osaka, the star of the opening ceremony, defeated China’s Zheng Saisai 6-1, 6-4 in her first match since taking an eight-week break for mental health reasons.
“I feel like more than anything I’m just focused on playing tennis. Playing the Olympics has been a dream of mine since I was a kid,” said Osaka, chosen as the first tennis player to light the Olympic cauldron on Friday.
“I feel like the break that I took was very needed, but I feel definitely a little bit refreshed and happy again.”
The Australian Open champion had not played since May, when she walked out of Roland Garros, saying that media commitments were harming her mental health.
Osaka showed few signs of rust as she reeled off the opening five games on the Ariake Coliseum centre court, which likely would have been packed to capacity if not for a spectator ban because of coronavirus restrictions.
The second seed broke the 52nd-ranked Zheng for a 2-1 lead in the second set and closed out an 87-minute victory on her third match point.
The 23-year-old Osaka is attempting to become Japan’s first Olympic tennis champion. She will play Switzerland’s Viktorija Golubic in the last 32.

Continue Reading

Sports

Insurance FC Records Second NNL Win On Return

Published

on

Bendel Insurance recorded their second win in a row since returning to the second tier of Nigeria National League with a 1-0 win over Abia Comets on Saturday at the Samuel Ogbemudia Stadium.
Defender Tanimu Benjamin scored the only goal of the encounter in the 26th minute to hand the hosts the maximum points.
Both results have brightened their chances of qualifying for the Super 8.
According to Tidesports source, the Edo State Government in June withdrew the team from the competition after several of their players were injured by home fans during their game against Remo Stars in Ikenne, Ogun State.
On their return, Insurance pulled off an away win over Holy Arrows in Enugu before the win at the weekend 
“I am happy with the goal and the overall performance from the boys. Our aim is to return to the topflight and we are working hard to achieve it,” goal scorer Benjamin, who was injured in the violence at Ikenne, said

Continue Reading

Sports

Karagumruk To Pay Musa N1bn Annually

Published

on

Super Eagles captain, Ahmed Musa was on Thursday unveiled by Turkish Lig 1 side, Fatih Karagumruk, having signed the winger on a two-year deal with an option to extend the deal for another year.
Tidesports source gathered that the financial details of the deal were undisclosed by both club and player, Musa will earn about$2.5million (N1.02billion) annually with a weekly pay of $40,000, with bonuses.
Karagumruk were promoted to the Turkish topflight in the 2019/2020 campaign, ending a 35-year wait for a return to the Super Lig and want to remain there, thus, the acquisition of star players like Musa.
“It’s a good deal no doubt, the club wanted Musa because of his wealth of experience, having played at the World Cup and the UEFA Champions League. Since they were promoted to the topflight two seasons ago, their major aim is to remain in the Turkish topflight and also win games against the big sides like Galatasary, Fenerbahce and Trabzonspor and they believe Musa can help them achieve their goals. That’s why they signed him for $2.5million annual salary, besides bonuses and allowances,” a close friend of Musa said.
It was also reliably learnt that there were financial incentives for Musa, if the club qualified for European competitions, and if he ended up as their highest scorer at the end of the season.
Musa, in an interview with newsmen said Karagumruk’s ambition was a major reason he joined them.
“I was very impressed with the team’s philosophy, style of play and it’s clearly an ambitious club.

Continue Reading

Trending