Connect with us

News

Daura: Group Plots To Replace New DSS DG …As Cabal Mounts Pressure On Osinbajo

Published

on

A civil society group, Justice For All (JUFALL), has warned the President Muhammadu Buhari administration on the alleged move by the cabal in the Presidency to replicate the scenario that played out in the appointment of the current Director-General of the National Intelligence Agency (NIA), Ahmed Rufai Abubakar.
The convener of the group, Barrister Nathaniel Sese gave the warning in a press conference in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, last Saturday.
The group said that the warning was necessary following the news that the Vice President, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo seem to be having a running battle with the cabal in the Villa after dismissing the Director General of the Department of State Service (DSS), Lawal Daura.
According to JUFALL, the cabal are hell-bent on bringing back Daura, or in the alternative appoint his replacement with one of the two candidates from the North-East and North-West geo-political zones.
Sese claimed that credible sources revealed to the group that two people have been pencilled down, and they are both from the North.
The group claimed that Daura’s replacements are being pushed by two prominent individuals in government.
JUFALL further advised the Vice President to vehemently maintain his position on this matter and not to succumb to pressure by the silent war orchestrated by the so-called cabal surrounding the President.
“It is now very clear to everyone in the Aso Rock Villa that there is a raging silent war going on between the VP and the cabal on this issue,” the group claimed in a statement made available to newsmen.
The group further applauded the Vice President for maintaining his grounds firmly by insisting that this time, the appointment must follow due process through the National Security Adviser as required by the relevant provisions of the National Security Agencies establishments Act” unlike what played out in the appointment of the current DG of the NIA, where a qualified and appropriate person was sacked and replaced in controversial way when he accused some individuals and the man who replaced him of attempts to blackmail him to handover NIA’s money to them.
In the light of what happened in the NIA, the group cautioned that the embarrassing situation that happened at the NIA which culminated in the illegal dismissal of erstwhile acting DG of the NIA, Amb Mohammed Dauda to pave way for the appointment of Ahmed Rufai Abubakar against all established rules must be avoided at all cost.
The group learnt that the Vice President wants the current Acting DG of the DSS confirmed, or the most senior director to take over after him, as the substantive DG as required by law.
“We are pleased that as a lawyer, the vice president opposed the idea of replacing the current Ag DG with another Northerner when he is amply qualified to be confirmed,” JUFALL said.
The group also observed that the morale and hopes of officers in the civil service should not be continually dampened by imposition of people from outside the hierarchy any time there is a vacancy (as done at the NIA) emphasising that all Nigerians have the right to legitimately aspire to all deserved positions in this government of change and equal opportunity.
“JUFALL will resist any nepotic move to replace Mr. Matthew Saiyefa with any less qualified candidate,” the group noted.
According to the group, it had already approached Chibuike Amaechi and Timipre Sylva, both former governors of Rivers and Bayelsa, respectively, to intervene in the matter.
“Nigerians should begin to ask questions and hold their leaders accountable on sensitive issues that border on national security.
“The illegal appointment of the current NIA DG is already an embarrassment to the image of Nigeria before the international community.
“The manoeuvres currently ongoing to replace the AG DG of the DSS would further worsen the already battered image of the country in terms of national security if allowed to continue unabated, the group cautioned,” the group warned.

Continue Reading

News

Declare Buhari’s Seat Vacant, Owuru Urges Court

Published

on

The candidate of the Hope Democratic Party (HDP) in the last presidential election, Chief Ambrose Owuru, has approached the Federal High Court in Abuja, asking it to declare the seat of President Muhammadu Buhari vacant.

Owuru, who was among the four petitioners that went to tribunal to challenge Buhari’s re-election, in his fresh suit, sought for an order to restrain the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), from “undertaking or planning any other election into the office of the President”, in 2023.

The Plaintiff, in his suit marked FHC/ABJ/CS/480/2021, maintained that Buhari is “an unlawful President that is illegally occupying the Presidential seat”.

It would be recalled that Owuru and his party, HDP, had in an earlier appeal they litigated up to the Supreme Court, insisted that the Justice Mohammed Garba-led Presidential Election Petition Tribunal, erroneously dismissed a petition they lodged against the return of Buhari of the All Progressives Congress (APC), as winner of the presidential election that held on February 23, 2019.

They specifically prayed the apex court to sack Buhari on the premise that he emerged through an illegal process.

According to the Appellants, INEC, failed to follow condition precedents stipulated in the Electoral Act, when it unduly postponed the presidential election that was originally fixed for February 16.

The HDP claimed that its candidate, Owuru, secured over 50million votes in a referendum that was conducted by both electorates and observer networks that were dissatisfied with the unilateral postponement of the presidential election by INEC.

However, in a unanimous decision, a five-man panel of Justices of the Supreme Court led by Justice Mary Odili, struck out the appeal for constituting “a gross abuse of the judicial process”.

Meantime, in the fresh suit, Owuru and his party argued that their suit against Buhari at the Supreme Court was inconclusive.

The Plaintiffs argued that the case was fixed outside the 60 days period that was allowed by the law.

Owuru asked the court to declare him the authentic winner of the last presidential poll, as well as, to issue an order for his immediate inauguration to take over from Buhari.

He prayed the court to declare that he is entitled to serve out a tenure of 4 years after his formal inauguration.

More so, the HDP presidential candidate, aside from asking for Buhari’s immediate removal from office, equally prayed the court to compel him to refund all salaries, allowances and emoluments he collected while he unlawfully stayed in office as President.

Owuru also asked the court to give an order that salaries, allowances and emoluments be paid to him from May 29, 2019, when he ought to have been sworn in, till date.

The Plaintiff further applied for, “An order of interlocutory injunction restraining the Respondents by themselves and acting through their agents, servants, privies and or proxies howsoever from any further organizing, undertaking or planning of any other election into the office of the President of Nigeria or any such other Presidential Election interfering, harassing and or disturbing the Applicant adjudged acquired right as unopposed and unchallenged winner of the original scheduled and held the February 16 Presidential Election thereof until the 1st Applicant unserved constitutional four years term of office is served pending the hearing and determination of the substantive suit by this honourable court”.

Cited as 1st to 3rd Respondents in the matter were Buhari, the Attorney General of the Federation, and INEC.

Meanwhile, no date has been fixed for the matter to be heard.

Continue Reading

News

World Bank Report Exposes Buhari’s Lies, PDP Affirms

Published

on

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) said the report by World Bank that 7 million Nigerians have been pushed into poverty in the last year, has clinically belied the integrity posturing of President Muhammadu Buhari and the All Progressives Congress (APC).

The opposition party said the World Bank report came in the face of the recent claims by President Buhari that his administration has lifted over 10 million Nigerians out of poverty in the last two years.

The PDP asserted that the report by the World Bank has further vindicated its position that President Buhari runs an uncoordinated and clueless administration that thrives on lies, false performance claims, deceit, and perfidious propaganda.

The statement added that, “Nigerians can now clearly see why the APC and President Buhari’s handlers are always in a frenzy to attack our party and other well-meaning Nigerians whenever we point to the poor handling of the economy and on the need for President Buhari to always be factual on pertinent issues of governance in our country.

“Unfortunately, it indeed appears that Mr. President enjoys living in denial while watching millions of Nigerians go down in abject poverty, excruciating hunger, and starvation as our country now ranks 98th out of 107 in Global Hunger Index under his watch.

“Otherwise, why would Mr. President claim that his administration has lifted over 10.5 million Nigerians out of poverty while official figures even from the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) show worsening poverty rate with 142.2% growth in food inflation and over 82.9 million Nigerians being unable to afford their daily meals due to the failure of the administration to take practical steps to grow and protect the food sector?

“Under President Buhari, Nigerians are now subjected to the worst form of poverty and hardship, with collapsed purchasing power, occasioned by a voodoo economy management that has wrecked our productive sectors and pummeled our naira from the about N167 to a US dollar in 2015 to the current over N500 per dollar.

“It is unfortunate that Mr. President will choose to always bandy fictitious figures and false performance claims, when he has, in a space of six years, destroyed our national productivity and reduced our country to a beggarly nation, a laughing stock and object of pity among the comity of nations.

“The PDP invites Nigerians to note President Buhari and APC’s similar false performance claims in other critical sectors, including power, transportation, road infrastructure, health, education, agriculture, security, aviation among others, where the Buhari administration has been bandying fictitious figures with no tangible project to point at.

“Our party counsels President Buhari, his handlers as well as their party, the APC, to note that Nigerians have seen through their deceitful clams.

“The PDP, once again, urges Mr. President to end his false performance claims and get more competent hands to manage the economy before every Nigerian is turned into a street beggar.”

Continue Reading

News

Amnesty Kicks As FG Pushes Social Media Regulation

Published

on

Amnesty International has strongly opposed the call by the Nigerian Government to regulate the use of social media and online broadcasters.

It would be recalled that the Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, had urged the House of Representatives to include regulation of Twitter in the National Broadcasting Commission Act.

The minister made the call at the public hearing on a bill to amend the NBC Act organised by the House Committee on Information.

“I will want to add, that specifically, internet broadcasting and all online media should be included in this because we have responsibility to monitor content— including Twitter,” he said.

Reacting, Amnesty International, in a tweet via its Twitter account, yesterday, kicked against the motion.

It noted that when social media is regulated, authorities can arbitrarily have powers to shut down the internet and limit access to social media.

It further noted that criticizing the government will be made punishable with penalties of up to three years in prison.

“When social media is regulated, authorities can arbitrarily have powers to shut down the Internet and limit access to social media.

“Criticizing the government will be made punishable with penalties of up to three years in prison.

“Regulating social media in Nigeria could be easily abused to punish critics of government policies and actions, and anyone who asks difficult questions could find themselves liable for ‘diminishing public confidence in the government.’

“Seeking a law to prohibit abusive, threatening and insulting behaviour is open to very wide interpretation. This section would pose a threat to critical opinion, satire, public dialogue and political commentary,” the statement added.

Continue Reading

Trending