Connect with us

News

Police Nab UNIPORT Student In Rivers …For Killing 8-Yr-Old Girl For Rituals

Published

on

The Rivers State Police Command has arrested a 200 level student of the University of Port Harcourt (UNIPORT), Mr. Ifeanyichukwu Maxwell Dike for allegedly killing one Miss Chikamso Victory, an eight-year old girl for ritual purposes.
Dike, who is of the Department of Physics, was arrested, last Saturday at about 0130hrs by men of the Okporo Police Station who were acting on a tip off.
Briefing journalists in Port Harcourt over the weekend, the Rivers State Commissioner of Police, Mr. Zaki Mohammed Ahmed said the accused abducted the deceased and killed her, last Saturday.
Represented by the Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Nnamdi Omoni, the commissioner of police disclosed that the little girl, who was a neighbour living in the same address with the accused was abducted, defiled and killed, adding that the suspect removed her vagina, eyes, tongue and breast before putting her in a polythene bag.
According to him, the suspect was going to dispose of the body when he was arrested by members of the local vigilante who suspected his movement in the neighbourhood.
He said that the suspect later dropped the bag and ran away while he was interrogated by the local vigilante in the area.
The state police boss averred that members of the vigilante gave the suspect a hot chase, nabbed him and later handed him over to the police.
He said that on further interrogation by the police, Dike confessed to the crime, and took the police to where the organs were concealed.
“The body and the organs have been recovered, paraded and deposited in the mortuary, while the suspect is helping the police in investigation”, he added.
Speaking to journalists, the father of the deceased, Mr. Charles Ernest Mezioba said he left his daughter at 7am for work on that fateful day alive only to return at about 3pm and discovered that his daughter was missing.
He said that he and his wife embarked on intensive search for their daughter only to be told that the suspect killed his daughter, removed her tongue, vagina and breast before putting her into polythene bag.
“I left my daughter to work with the mother at about 7am and returned at 3pm. We searched for her but later we were told that they had caught the boy who killed my daughter.
“When I reached there and saw the police, I asked where my daughter was, they showed me the polythene bag. When I looked inside, I saw that the tongue, breast, vagina and other essential parts of her body had been removed”, he stated.
Also speaking, the suspect, Mr. Ifeanyichukwu Maxwell Dike, admitted committing the crime, explaining that his intention was not to kill the girl.
He claimed that her death was due to the wrong application of the drug given to him by his cult master.
According to him, his cult master had in 2016, promised to make him rich and independent, adding that he injected overdose injection on the girl which led to her death.
“I did not want her to feel pains while I removed what I wanted from her body. I was carrying out an assignment given to me by my cult boss who wanted to make me rich and independent since 2016”, he stated.

Continue Reading

News

GoG: Nigerian, Ghanaian Navies Meet On Joint Operations

Published

on

Against the backdrop of renewed piracy and hostage-taking incidents in the Gulf of Guinea, Nigeria’s Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Awwal Gambo and his Ghanaian counterpart, Rear Admiral Issah Adam Yakubu, have commenced a security engagement aimed at joint security initiatives to tackle the situation.
Speaking during the meeting held at Naval headquarters, Abuja, Vice Admiral Gambo said, “The Gulf of Guinea is currently bedevilled by the activities of criminal elements who take advantage of limited capability of the navies in the region to adequately secure the area.
“The threat posed by the activities of these criminal elements constitute a major challenge not only to the littoral states but equally undermines regional development and global trade.
“Notably, the trans-boundary and trans-national nature of maritime crime makes the security of the maritime domain a task beyond the capacity of any country acting alone.
“It is against this backdrop that this bilateral engagement was convened at the instance of the Heads of Government of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and Republic of Ghana towards addressing the maritime security challenges within the region”.
Vice Admiral Gambo expressed belief that “the engagement would foster greater collaboration and burden sharing that is hinged on cooperative maritime security framework as envisioned in the 2013 Yaoundé Protocol to arrive at strategies that would help address the maritime insecurity for enhanced economic prosperity in the region”.
Declaring the technical session open, the CNS said, “In deliberations, please consider amongst others: maritime area of interest covering Zone E and integration of the capabilities of the countries in Zone E, emplacing a robust intelligence sharing mechanism and collaboration with international partners”.
On relations between both countries, Gambo said, “This good relation is equally manifest in the several interactions between the Nigerian Navy and Ghana Navy. I must not fail to mention the remarkable contributions of the Ghana Navy-CNS to manpower development during his tour of duty at the prestigious AFCSC, Jaji as a member of the Directing Staff. I have no doubt that this engagement would further strengthen the existing cordial bilateral relations between Nigeria and Ghana navies.
In his address, Chief of Naval Staff of Ghana, Rear Admiral Issah Yakubu, noted that he and his delegation were in Nigeria at the behest of President Nana Akufo Ado to engage the Nigerian Navy and come out with collective strategies to tackle insecurity which is in the ascendancy in recent times in the Gulf of Guinea.
“We hope our navies will buy into this engagement to improve security in the Gulf of Guinea. We know our big brother Nigeria has bigger capacity to chart the way forward”.
He disclosed that, “Since year 2020, the situation has bot been good in the Gulf of Guinea”, noting that “Last May, two Ghanian vessels were attacked and 10 persons were abducted with investigations still ongoing”.
Consequently, the Ghanian Navy Chief said, “We are proposing an ECOWAS naval task force and joint maritime security architecture to checkmate these threats, adding that this was done in the past successfully during ECOMOG operations without problems with inter-operability and doctrinal issues.
Furthermore, he proposed the setting up of a ‘transit corridors’ where ships from fellow West African countries can go to anchor for assistance and joint naval assets will conduct regular patrols especially for protection of commercial fishing vessels.

Continue Reading

News

Wike Orders Destruction Of Criminal Hideouts In Rivers

Published

on

The Rivers State Governor, Chief Nyesom Wike, has ordered the destruction of all criminal hideouts in Ahoada, Elele, Eleme and Onne to prevent attempt to undermine security of the state.
The governor said criminals were already coming to terms with the reality that Rivers State was too hot for them to invade at will and detonate their foolish attacks on targeted security posts and personnel.
Wike, who made this assertion in a state broadcast, last Friday, disclosed that the state government has identified the hideouts, safe houses and secret places that provide both cover and comfort for the hoodlums to plan, execute and return to after operations.
“This was the reason we ordered the destruction of all the shanties and makeshift structures located along Elele to Ahoada expanse of the East–West Road to deny the criminals the opportunity to continue to undermine our security from these hideouts.
“We have equally decided to destroy all the shanties, illegal shops and mechanic sheds along the Eleme to Onne stretch of the East-West Road having discovered these places also as hideouts and operational bases for criminals and criminal activities in the state.
“Consequently, I hereby direct owners of such shanties and illegal structures along the Eleme – Onne axis of the East-West Road to vacate the area within two weeks from June 11, 2021, as the state government will go ahead to destroy these structures without any further notice.”
Wike said the government was not unmindful of the economic effect these measures would have or may have had on residents carrying out businesses in the affected areas.
He, however, stressed that government was merely discharging its constitutional responsibility to advance the collective security of all with no ethnic targets in mind or attachment to political sentiments.
He explained that the existing curfew in Rivers State will not last one day beyond necessary, and pleaded with all residents to endure the temporary inconveniences in the interest of the state and collective wellbeing of all.
“We will continue to take the war on criminality and insecurity to the den of the criminals and we will neither yield nor lower the tempo of our assault until they are comprehensively neutralized. As a matter of fact, they want us to prematurely terminate the state wide night time curfew in order for them to have the leeway to operate again and roll back the gains of the last few weeks.”
Wike said he has received reports about the excesses of the State Task Force on Illegal Trading and Parks, especially the alleged shooting of motorists, extortions and abuse of the human rights of citizens.
He assured that government would not hesitate to bring the full weight of the law on any member of the task force who crosses the boundaries of the law and rational behaviour.
The governor, who appealed to motorists and residents to be responsible road users by complying with the clear regulations against illegal trading, indiscriminate parking and irresponsible driving, noted that the situation where some motorists would have the effrontery to compete for traffic space with or even attempt to block his official vehicular convoy leaves much to be desired.
He has meanwhile, directed the management of the Rivers State Waste Management Authority to clear the state of filthiness within one week or be disbanded without any further notice.

Continue Reading

News

Army Begins Shooting Exercises In Rivers

Published

on

The Nigerian Army, 6 Division, has announced that it would commence its annual range classification exercise from yesterday to Sunday, June 27.
The division’s spokesman, Lt.-Col. Charles Ekeocha, said in a statement in Port Harcourt, that the exercise aimed at ascertaining the professional competence of troops on the use of firearms.
He said troops from the division and its affiliated formations and units would conduct the exercise at the Army Shooting Range in Igwuruta and Elele Barracks, both in Ikwerre Local Government Area of the state.
“The shooting exercise is a routine activity in the Nigerian Army which involves the firing of various calibre live ammunitions.
“Members of the public, especially residents of Igwuruta and Elele, as well as its environs, are advised to keep away from the general shooting area,” he stated.
The Army spokesman also advised the public not to panic over the movement of troops, military hardware and sound of gunshots.

Continue Reading

Trending