PH Residents Groan Under Blackout


Contrary to assurances from the management of the Port Harcourt Electricity Distribution Company (PHED) that normal electricity supply would be restored in Port Harcourt, after a two-day repair work by Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN), the city has remained in blackout.

Our correspondent who monitored the situation reports that residents of the city were groaning as a result of the outage which entered its third day at Sunday.

At Victoria Street in Old Port Harcourt Township, a resident, Chief Bobmanuel Joe, told The Tide that the blackout was a source of new frustration facing socio-economic life.

“PHED announced that there would be blackout in Port Harcourt City as a result of repair works on the power line by the TCN between Friday and Saturday, but behold, till today, we have not seen light again.

“One does not know if this is the beginning of total blackout which GENCOs and DISCOS threatened would befall the nation. I appeal to PHED to live up to its promise and restore light back to us”, he said.

In Diobu, another resident, Jim Okara, said, “ I am surprised that PHED is yet to bring back supply which it promised.

The heat, mosquitoes and darkness have become our problem. I wish PHED would bring back light to us”.

Chima Eke, an operator of a barber shop in Diobu regretted that the total blackout which had lasted for three days has frustrated his business and appealed to authorities of PHED to do the needful and restore back supply.

According to Eke who operates on Ojoto Street, he now records very low patronage because of the high cost of running his private generator.

He said, he charged N250.00 with generator per person while per head goes for N200 when he used the public supply.

It would be recalled that the Manager, Corporate Communications, PHED, Mr John Onyi, had assured consumers that power supply would be restored Saturday when a repair work being undertaken by TCN would be over. However, at the expiration of the two days, the city had remained in the dark.

Efforts to reach the PHEO spokesman was not successful as calls through his phone line could not go through. It is not clear if the TCN repair works was being extended resulting in the extended blackout in the city.