Connect with us

Business

After The Recovered Loots, What Next?

Published

on

Money laundering is a
global phenomenon that is not restricted to Nigeria. It is more prevalent where there is systemic failure, bad governance and poor value orientation.
This accounts for the reason President Muhammadu Buhari and 59 other world leaders agreed to sign a pact on the sanctions to be imposed on corrupt political and public office holders.
The agreement which is expected to be signed in United Kingdom will among other things, check the high rate of looting and money laundering around the world 60 countries are involved in the deal.
The Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Mallam Abubakar Malami (SAN), who spoke to journalists about the agreement, said some of the sanctions include travel restriction or denial of entry visa into the 60 countries, rejection of request for political asylum by corrupt political and public office holders, likely loss of citizenship while culprit will not be allowed to operate foreign accounts in any of the 60 nations.
The justice minister said the agreement would make it difficult for those stealing public funds in the country to escape abroad or operate slush accounts.
“The administration of President Muhammadu Buhari is stepping up the fight against corruption. I am happy to bring to your notice that Nigeria and 59 other countries will enter into an agreement in May on the imposition of international sanctions against corrupt political and public office holders. This will take place at the 2016 international summit on anti-corruption in the UK. At the May summit, these 60 countries will agree on some sanctions against those who steal public funds or launder money”, Malami said.
According to him, “the affected countries will also design ways of sharing intelligence on corrupt officers and money launderers. We will all key into this understanding as part of the global action against corruption. With this development, there is no hiding place for any public office holder who steals funds in this country.
Malami also noted that Nigeria is being considered as the 2017 host of the international summit on anti-corruption.
As a measure to put an end to this hydra-headed menace called money laundering in the country, the Nigeria police sometimes ago indicted a former governor of Kwara State (name withheld) and some of his associates for money laundering and consequently recommended their prosecution.
In a report of its Special Fraud Unit (SFU) investigation into a petition dated September 11, 2011, addressed to the Inspector-General of Police, Joy Petroleum Limited alleged illegal withdrawal from its accounts by the then Intercontinental Bank Plc. The police found that the former governor and another person conspired to breach the money laundering Act.
In an interview with The Tide, a printer, Mr George Griffin, said that as Nigeria intensifies efforts at recovering all monies looted in the past, the government should not lose sight of the fact that there are some others in the present government who had been in one way or another involved in money laundering, , adding that no one should be spared or seen as a sacred cow in the money recovery exercise.”
According to him, it is regrettable that in spite of the various legislations against corruption in the country, it still persists as the legislations seen not to be helping the issues. There is the need now to review the existing corruption laws in the country to ensure greater operation, efficiency and deterrence.”
Griffin called on the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), and the Independent Corrupt Practices Commission, (ICPC) to change the public perception that they are only engaged in prosecuting corrupt government officials because of the sentiments attached to it.
May Nigerians have commended the new anti-corruption drive by the Muhammadu Buhari administration, but called on the Federal Government to make judicious use of the recovered monies for the development of the country.
“There is infrastructural decay in the country, yearning for prompt attention, just as the citizens are wallowing in abject poverty and hunger. Nigerians are expecting better living condition from the out-come of the fight against corruption,: a civil servant Mrs Judith Amachree said.
Another source said, “we have refineries that need to be made function and produce petroleum products at higher capacities and we have the industrial sector that is crying for revival. If the Federal Government can use the recovered loots to take care of these areas there will be employment for the teeming jobless youths, and issue of restiveness will be over”.
It would be recalled that as part of the drive to recover the monies looted by Nigerians in the past, the United States (U.S.) has agreed to repatriate $480 million believed to have been stolen by the late Head of State, General Sani Abacha and his family to Nigeria.
A source who did not want his name in print, told our correspondent that the Abacha family’s loot is the largest ever traced to a former Nigerian public officer in the United States, pointing out that the conditions for the repatriation of the cash and other details are being worked out.
It was also learnt that the Department of Justice in the US now has a kleptocracy unit, which will assist track looted funds and money laundered by public officials from Nigeria and other countries. The planned repatriation, according to the source, was the outcome of a recent meeting between US Department of Justice and Nigeria’s Attorney-General and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami, and the Acting Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crime Commission (EFCC), Mr Ibrahim Magu.
A highlight of the loot as published shows that the Abacha family and its associates are to forfeit over $550 million and #95,910 in 10 accounts and six investment portfolios linked to them in France, Britain, British virgin Islands and the United States.
So far, cash recovered from the Abacha loot are $226.3 from Liechtenstein, 7.5m euros from an associated company in Liechtenstein in 2011, #22.5m from Island of Jersey while $480m is expected to be repatriated from the United States.
Recently, the Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP) said it had received several documents from the World Bank totaling over 700 pages on information on the spending of recovered assets stolen by the late General Abacha, with some of the documents suggesting that Abacha loot was spent by the previous administrations on roads, electricity, education, health and water.
But a letter from Mr Rachid Benmessaoud of the SERAP revealed certain facts which raised more questions about what happened to Abacha loot.
Firstly, that Mrs Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala as Minister of Finance in a letter dated January 9,2005 explained to the World Bank that around $500 million of Abacha loot received from Switzerland was programmed into and spent in the 2004 and 2005 budgets on roads, etc, across all the 6 geo-political zones of Nigeria. Its breakdown showed that #18.60m was spent on roads, #10.83bn on health, #7bn on education, #6.20bn on water and #21.70bn on electricity. This shows that all the federal ministries had full details on the spending of repatriated Abacha loot.
But the big question is, if truly these recover monies were spent on these areas mention by the former minister of fiancé, why is Nigeria still suffering poverty are infrastructural decay?

 

Shedie Okpara

Continue Reading

Business

Boat Mishap Kills Pastor, Wife And Church Members  In Brass Water

Published

on

A boat accident in Bayelsa state has killed a serving Pastor, Wife and other church members along Brass waterways
The sad incident happened at Odioama in Brass local government area of Bayelsa State when the Pastor, wife and  members of his church were in a programme.
?
?Tide confirmed that the lifeless body of the Pastor’s wife has been found and deposited in a mortuary while the remains of her husband ,the Pastor is yet  to be recovered
as search party are still ongoing.
Although the real cause of the boat Mishap is not yet known as at the time of this report,  our Correspondent gathered  that the identities of the Pastor, wife and church members were not disclosed to the public.
The mishap, Tide gathered occurred on Friday morning when the church members were on a boat transit
The Bayelsa State government and the state police command are yet to issue official statement’s  on the sad accident
By: CHINEDU WOSU
Continue Reading

Business

Rivers Workers Seek Scrapping Of Contributory Pension Scheme

Published

on

The Rivers State Council of  Nigeria Civil Service Union has called on the State Government to urgently scrap the contributory pension scheme, describing it as unfavourable to long-serving civil servants in the state.
Chairman of the union, Chukwuka Osuma, said this in an interview with newsmen in Port Harcourt,  recently.
Osuma said the current pension structure has continued to worsen post-retirement hardship for workers.
He noted that  the contributory pension scheme had failed to provide adequate retirement security for workers who had spent many years in service, especially those approaching retirement age.
According to him, civil servants who had served for more than 20 years were among the worst affected under the scheme, insisting that many retirees could no longer cope with prevailing economic realities.
He also  informed that the Union has made moves to showcase their concerns, pleading with Governor Siminalayi Fubara to abolish the pension policy and introduce a more favourable arrangement for affected workers.
“The union was not opposed to pension reforms, the contributory scheme should only apply to newly employed workers or those with fewer years in service”, he said.
Osuma explained that workers who had already spent decades in the civil service ought to remain under a more secure pension structure capable of guaranteeing stability after retirement.
The labour leader further noted that inflation and the rising cost of living had continued to erode the value of retirement savings, thereby increasing the suffering of pensioners across the country.
He also appealed to the state government to consider extending the years of service in the civil service from 35 to 40 years and the retirement age from 60 to 65 years.
Osuma argued that such adjustment had become necessary in view of present-day economic realities and changing conditions in the workplace.
The unionist also reviewed that similar policies had already been adopted in some sectors and jurisdictions, expressing optimism that the State could also implement the reforms for the benefit of workers.
He however, commended Governor Fubara for approving an N85,000 minimum wage for workers in the state, noting that the amount was above the national benchmark of N70,000.
Osuma also acknowledged the government’s efforts in the area of workers’ promotions and bonuses, but insisted that pension reforms and extension of years of service remained critical to the long-term welfare and stability of civil servants in Rivers State.
By: King Onunwor
Continue Reading

Business

FG Begins South-West Tour To Promote New Cooperative Bank

Published

on

The Federal Government has launched the South-West zonal engagement and ministerial advocacy tour on the Cooperative Bank of Nigeria share capital mobilisation, sensitisation and cooperative sector digitalisation.
 Reports say the initiative was launched through the Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Food Security.
According to reports, the advocacy tour, organised by the ministry’s Federal Department of Cooperatives, began on Monday in Lagos.
Speaking at the event, the Minister of State for Agriculture and Food Security and Supervising Minister of Cooperative Affairs, Dr Aliyu Abdullahi, said the initiative was part of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s Renewed Hope Agenda.
Abdullahi described the exercise as a strategic effort to reposition the cooperative sector as a key driver of inclusive economic growth, financial inclusion, enterprise development, food security and national prosperity.
“Today represents a defining moment in our collective determination to reposition the cooperative sector as a major driver of inclusive economic growth, financial inclusion, enterprise development, food security and national prosperity,” he said.
The minister noted  the modern cooperative movement in Nigeria originated in the South-West following the 1934 Strickland Report, which led to the enactment of the Cooperative Societies Ordinance of 1935.
According to him, the decision to commence the sensitisation and share capital mobilisation tour in the region is symbolic, as it marks a return to the roots of cooperative development in the country.
Abdullahi said the advocacy tour was a direct outcome of resolutions reached at the 8th Regular Meeting of the National Council on Cooperative Affairs held in Abuja in March 2026.
He said the council approved the Renewed Hope Cooperative Reform and Revamp Programme, a comprehensive framework designed to strengthen the cooperative sector and align it with the administration’s goal of building a one-trillion-dollar economy.
“The reform programme focuses on seven strategic pillars, including governance reforms, cooperative financing and the establishment of the Cooperative Bank of Nigeria, digitalisation, capacity building, value chain development, inclusion of youths, women and persons with disabilities, and strategic partnerships,” he said.
He said the establishment of the Cooperative Bank of Nigeria and the digitalisation of the cooperative sector were the two major transformational initiatives under the programme.
“The Cooperative Bank of Nigeria is aimed at rebuilding a strong cooperative financial system capable of supporting cooperators, farmers, artisans, traders, SMEs, youths, women and persons with disabilities with accessible and affordable financial services,” he said.
Abdullahi emphasised that the proposed bank would be government-enabled but not government-funded.
“Government is not establishing the bank as an owner, nor will it rely on Treasury Single Account funds.
“The role of government through the FMAFS is to provide policy support, stakeholder coordination, regulatory facilitation and an enabling environment under the Renewed Hope Cooperative Reform and Revamp Programme,” he said.
Also speaking, the Lagos State Commissioner for Commerce, Cooperatives, Trade and Investment, Mrs Folashade Ambrose-Medebem, reaffirmed the state government’s commitment to cooperative sector transformation.
She described cooperatives as critical tools for promoting inclusive growth, grassroots productivity, food security, financial inclusion and community wealth creation.
Ambrose-Medebem said Lagos State would continue to support reforms and collaborate with stakeholders to ensure the successful implementation of the Renewed Hope Cooperative Reform and Revamp Programme (2025–2030).
“Together, let us build a cooperative ecosystem that is modern, transparent, digitally enabled, financially inclusive and globally competitive.
“Let us build cooperatives that not only mobilise savings, but also mobilise prosperity,” she said.
Continue Reading

Trending