Connect with us

Nation

THE STATES

Published

on

Borno

The Nigerian Army says Boko Haram terrorists now
evade drones and aircraft surveillance by hiding in makeshift camps covered with shrubs.
The Acting Director of Army Public Relations, Col. Sani Usman,  revealed this new tactic in a statement in Maiduguri.
Usman said in the statement that the discovery was made during a clearance operation in the North Eastern area of Kumshe in Borno.
“Troops of 7 Division Strike Group Team B, attached to 21 Brigade have braved harsh climatic conditions to clear seven villages of Boko Haram terrorists’ presence in the North East of Kumshe village.
“The villages are Mulfuta, Baibawa, Jenere, Bembem, Maksamari, Bula Kafie and Bula Bodi”.
FCT

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission
(EFCC), has expressed the readiness of the commission to offer the required training to officers of the Fiscal Responsibility Commission (FRC), in order to enhance its operations.
The acting Chairman of EFCC, Mr Ibrahim Magu, gave the assurance in Abuja when he received a delegation from the FRC, led by the Chairman, Mr Victor Muruako.
Magu said that the EFCC had world class training facilities and resource persons to aid the operations of the FRC.
In his remarks, Muruako expressed the need for the two agencies to partner to eradicate economic and financial crimes among revenue generating agencies.
“ Fiscal Responsibility Commission always has to force these revenue generating agencies to submit their annual statement of account.”

Kaduna

The Kaduna State Police Command has arrested four
suspected armed robbers along the Kaduna-Abuja highway.
The Command’s Public Relations Officer  DSP Zubairu Abubakar, disclosed this in Kaduna in an interview with newsmen.
According to him, the patrol team of Sabon Tasha Division received a distress call from a woman who was robbed by armed men at the Kakau over head bridge.
“When the patrol team arrived the scene, the robbers jumped out of their vehicle and ran into the bush.
`Members of the patrol team chased them and succeeded in arresting four of them,” Abubakar said.

Kano
No fewer than 3.6 million malnourished children have
been treated in Kano State under the Community Management of Acute Malnutrition (CMAM) programme of UNICEF which  started in the state in 2010.
The Nutrition Officer, Kano State Ministry of Health,  Hajiya Halima Musa, made the disclosure during a field trip to Sharada Primary Health Center, Kano, organized for journalists by UNICEF recently.
The trip was to acquaint journalists drawn from Kano, Katsina, Sokoto, Taraba, Lagos, Abuja, Kaduna, Gombe, Bauchi, Plateau, Adamawa and Jigawa, on malnutrition control in the state.
She said that 30 centers for the treatment of malnutrition had been opened in six selected local governments of the state.
Musa further revealed that 103,376 malnourished children were treated across the centers in 2015.
Kogi

Governor Yahya Bello of Kogi State, has warned those
using religion and ethnicity to divide the people of the state to desist from that.
Bello gave the warning in Lokoja while speaking at the inauguration of the state chapter of the Coalition for the All Progressive Congress (APC) Support Groups.
He said that the state had witnessed dirty politics of tribalism and ethnicity and stressed the need for a complete break.
” Our plan is to usher in a better and greater Kogi where people will see themselves as one irrespective of tribe and religion and ensure that the state rank among the best in Nigeria.
“Kwara
The Olomu of Omu-Aran In Kwara State, Oba Charles
Ibitoye, has commended the Ibadan Electricity Distribution Company (IBEDC) for the distribution of free prepaid meters to its customers in Omu-Aran district.
He gave the commendation while addressing members of the Artisan Congress of Nigeria, Omu-Aran chapter, in his palace in Omu-Aran on Sunday.
Our ccorespondent reports that IBEDC had, a few days ago, begun free installation of 517 meters under its Free Prepaid Meters Roll-out Scheme to customers in the district.
Omu-Aran district comprises Offa, Ajase-Ipo, Oro, Oke-Onigbin, Oko, Osi and Egbe, among others.

Lagos
The Nigerian Society of Engineers (NSE)  has called on
individuals and corporate bodies to support the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), to improve on its rescue operations during emergencies.
The branch Chairman of the NSE, Mr Olalekan Taiwo, made the call in an interview with newsmen in Lagos.
Taiwo said disasters could affect everybody wherever they occurred, adding that it required cooperation from everyone to improve disaster and rescue management and reduce casualties.
“All hands should be on deck to ensure that disaster management and rescue operations are not left in the hands of government alone.
Nassarawa

Nasarawa State Chairman of All Local Government of Nigeria (ALGON), Ahmed Suleiman-Wambai,  has urged the state chapter of Nigeria Union of Teachers (NUT) to suspend its ongoing strike.
Sulieman-Wambai, who is also the Sole Administrator of Lafia Local Government Area (LGA), made the call shortly after a stakeholders meeting in Lafia.
He said that the teachers should call off the strike and return to their duty posts in the interest of the pupils and the state in general.
“It is not the intention of the state or the respective LGAs not to pay any worker in the state; the situation should be blamed on the state’s dwindling resources brought about by a downturn in the nation’s economy”, he said.
Niger

The Niger State  Commissioner for Information, Cul
ture and Tourism, Mr Jonathan Vatsa,  has   appealed to traders in the state to reduce prices of commodities in this holy month of Ramadan.
Vatsa told journalists in Minna last Thursday that it was unfair to increase the prices of food during Ramadan.
“We are all experiencing hard times; so we should not add to it by increasing the prices of goods and services unjustly”, he said.
According to him, reducing the prices of food stuffs during Ramadan and thereafter attracts rich rewards from Allah, the Creator of the universe.
No fewer than 19 persons lost their lives in an auto
crash that occurred on Sunday along the Lagos-Ibadan expressway recently.
Our correspondent reports that the accident occurred at about 1 p.m. around Fidiwo/Ajebo axis of the road.
The Public Relations Officer of Ogun State Traffic Compliance and Enforcement Agency (TRACE), Mr Babatunde Akinbiyi, confirmed the accident.
According to him, the accident involved a tanker, laden with fuel, with plate number, RAN 571 XA, and an 18-seater passenger bus with registration number LAGOS AGL 373 XR and an articulated vehicle marked AJG 40 XA.
Akinbiyi explained that the fuel truck travelling towards Ibadan rammed into the articulated vehicle conveying cement, while trying to overtake it at a diversion, and collided with commercial bus heading towards Lagos.
He said all the 19 occupants of the bus lost their lives on the spot, adding that evacuation was ongoing at the time of filing this report.

Oyo
The face-off between the Oyo State Government and
labour may soon be over as the two parties commenced reconciliatory talks in Ibadan.
Our correspondent  reports that workers led by the national leadership of the NLC had on June 6 declared an indefinite strike over their unpaid six months salaries.
The workers also rejected government’s controversial education initiative to involve private participation in the management of public secondary schools while also demanding the withdrawal of all charges against the labour leaders in a court of law.
A five-hour reconciliatory meeting facilitated by the State House of Assembly, however, held at the Executive Chambers of the Governors Office.
Speaking after the meeting, which ended at exactly 8.15p.m., the parties told newsmen that the reconciliatory process was on course.

Taraba
A group, Concerned Taraba Tiv Youth Frontier
(CTTYF), has donated relief materials to victims of herdsmen’s attacks currently camping in Sabon-Gida, Dan-Anacha and Korum villages of Taraba.
The Chairman of group Mr Dooior Torkula, presented the materials to the Chief of Gassol, Simon Erentsa for onward distribution to the IDPs in the three camps.
Torkula said the group decided to assist so as to reduce the effects of the economic crunch being experienced in the country, saying the IDPs were the worst hit in the period.
He urged the people not to lose faith as the Federal and State Governments were doing everything possible to ensure security of lives and property.
The chairman appealed to the displaced persons to be security conscious and report any suspicious movement and criminal act to the security agencies.

Continue Reading

Nation

‘Nigeria, Others Lose $110bn Annually To Inefficient Power Supply’

Published

on

The Executive Director, Sahara Group, Kola Adesina, has called on various stakeholders to promote energy access in Africa, as lack of energy costs Nigeria and other African countries over $110billion annually.

He also urged the World Trade Organisation (WTO) on the need to galvanise the interest and support of various stakeholders to promote equitable global trade relations and energy access in Africa where almost 600 million live without electricity.

Adesina, who spoke on ‘Redirecting the World Trade Organisation’ at the virtual 2021 Horasis Global Meeting, said deploying multilateral engagements would help circumvent the status quo that has made global trade relations “somewhat lopsided.”

Horasis is one of the foremost annual meetings of the world’s leading decision-makers from business, government, and civil society.

Speaking on access to power in Africa, Adesina said the WTO should explore collaborating with the various stakeholders to accelerate the pace of technology needed to make alternative power cheaper and more accessible to the consumers.

Africa is home to 17 per cent of the world’s population, but accounts for just 4 per cent of global power supply investment.

On a per capita basis, power supply investment in Africa ranks among the lowest in the world and lack of energy costs the continent over $110billion annually.

“The Environmental Impact Analysis of conventional power sources should be the focal point of conversations with African presidents as well as key political and business leaders to ensure their support and agree to a collective and sustainable solution template.

“The WTO must ensure that multilateralism guides its decision-making. The countries of the world are not all on the same pedestal, there should be consideration for the poor countries.

“The WTO should create a system where countries come together to create a united front to handle the issues the world is facing,” he said.

Adesina explained that multilateral strategies would create “elastic solutions” that can be adapted with respect to the unique challenges and opportunities across global trade blocs.

He argued that while sustainability should be the ultimate driver of development, concessions need to be in place to effectively manage the current challenges of less developed continents.

He stated, “Africa still suffers from the twin challenge of access versus affordability of electricity. We all need each other to solve the global challenges we face as individual countries and the world.

“A strong commitment is needed to maintain open and free trade; to keep open borders and to help the poorest countries, particularly least developed countries, survive the economic shock created by the Covid-19 pandemic.”

The Horasis session noted that with protectionism gaining steam globally, the WTO would need to reinforce its influence on stabilizing global trade negotiations.

Experts expect that the WTO, under the leadership of Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala would spearhead effective reforms that would make the organization play a strategic role in promoting equity and transparency in the quest for global sustainable development.

Continue Reading

Nation

UNILORIN Engages Landlords Association On Students’ Safety

Published

on

The Management of the University of Ilorin says the institution is interacting with the Association of Landlords within its communities to ensure the protection of students.
Dean, Student Affairs, Unilorin, Prof. Lanre Ajibade, at a news conference in Ilorin yesterday assured that no stone would be left unturned toward ensuring safety of students.
According to Ajibade, the University has been engaging in consistent interactions with the landlord association of the communities to ensure students who live in the area enjoy the best treatment possible.
He said that although no fresh and returning student of the University was set to resume the 2021/2022 academic session, many live off campus, particularly within Tanke and the neighbouring communities,
He recalled the recent murder of a female student of the University and said management had been working vigorously with security agencies to ensure perpetrators of the heinous act were prosecuted.
The dean noted that the University was working assiduously with all the security agencies and other stakeholders within and outside the institution to ensure the safety of the community.
The University’s Chief Security Officer, Mr Abdulwasiu Oyewo, also said that his personnel were working day and night to provide maximum security in the area.
Oyewo said that the security officers were in constant patrol of the environment, adding that vehicles with tinted glasses and without registration number would not be allowed on campus.
Also, Officer-in-Charge of the Intelligence Unit in the University’s Security Division, Mr Ali Na’Allah, said that the unit would continue to engage in discreet information gathering on campus.

Continue Reading

Nation

Unemployed Man, 22, Docked For Stealing Two iPhones, Laptop

Published

on

A 22-year-old unemployed man, Akinwunmi Rotimi, yesterday appeared in a Magistrates’ Court in Ota, Ogun for allegedly stealing two iPhones, an Hp Laptop and other valuables.
The police charged Rotimi, whose address was not provided, with two counts of burglary and stealing.
The Prosecution Counsel, Cynthia Ejezie, told the court that the defendant also stole N240,000.
Ejezie said that the defendant committed the offence on April 3 at about 4 a.m.at No.6 Ayoola Adeyinka, off Tetiku road, Owode-Ijako, Ota.
He said that the defendant broke into the house of the complainant, Mrs Adeleye Anike.
She said that the police from the Sango-Ota Police Station, tracked one of the phones to the defendant.
The offence, the prosecutor said, contravened the provisions of sections 383 (1) and 412 of the Criminal Code Vol.11, Laws of Ogun, 2006.
The defendant, however, pleaded not guilty to the charge.
The counsel to the defendant, Mr Ambrose Aisedion, prayed the court to grant the defendant bail in the most liberal terms.
Magistrate Shotunde Shotayo admitted the defendant to bail in the sum of N250, 000 with two sureties in like sum.
Shotayo ordered that the sureties reside within the court’s jurisdiction and be gainfully employed with two-year tax payment to Ogun Government.
The case was adjourned until June 17 for a definite hearing.

Continue Reading

Trending