Connect with us

Nation

THE STATES

Published

on

L-R: Gov. Akinwunmi Ambode and his wife, Bolanle, join the former governor of Cross River State, Donald Duke and his wife, Onari on stage as Duke performs at ``An Evening of Jazz” with Gov. Akinwunmi Ambode in Lagos on Saturday night.

L-R: Gov. Akinwunmi Ambode and his wife, Bolanle, join the former governor of Cross River State, Donald Duke and his wife, Onari on stage as Duke performs at “An Evening of Jazz” with Gov. Akinwunmi Ambode in Lagos on Saturday night.

Adamawa

Sen. Abdul-Azeez Nyako (APC-Adamawa Central) has
introduced a soft loan programme for petty women traders in his constituency.
Flagging-off the programme in collaboration with Ideal Woman Loans and Saving Limited on  Yola, Nyako said the measure was to enable the women boost their businesses.
He advised women in his constituency to form groups and liaise with the handlers (Loans and Saving Ltd) of the programme for a bigger assistance. The lawmaker also said he had obtained fertiliser and seedlings which would soon be distributed to farmer groups in the constituency.
“I also have a special youth empowerment programme coming up in September,’’ Nyako said.
The Head of Ideal Woman Loans and Saving Limited, Hajiya Hauwa Abdullahi, said more than 500 women from 29 women groups had benefitted from the first phase of the programme.

Benue

Workers in Benue have called on the state govern
ment to lift the embargo on employment and to pay workers all their outstanding salary arrears.
The workers made their demands through the Chairman of the Nigeria Labour Congress(NLC) in the state, Godwin Anya.
The NLC boss spoke at the May Day rally in Makurdi.
He restated workers’ dedication to duty and hard work in the implementation of government policies and programmes.
Anya, however, urged government not to shy away from the issue of workers welfare which he said had been neglected.

Borno

The Nigerian Army said  that it had commenced large
scale operations to smoke out Boko Haram terrorists from their Sambisa forest hideout in Borno.
Maj.-Gen. Lucky Irabor, the Theater Commander Operation Lafiya Dole said this while briefing newsmen in Maiduguri. “I want to inform you that troops of the Operation Lafiya Dole are conducting operations in the heart of Sambisa as we speak. “The troops are deep into the forest to smoke out Boko Haram terrorists,” Irabor said.
He said that the troops were led by the General Officer Commanding (GOC) 7 division of the Nigerian Army Maiduguri Brig.-Gen. Victor Ezugwu.
“In fact the GOC 7 division is leading the operations,” Irabor said declining to give further details.

FCT

The Federal Government has restated its commitment
to the exploration of oil and gas in the Inland Basins, especially Chad Basin and the Benue Trough.
The Minister of State for Petroleum Resources, Dr Ibe kachikwu said this in a statement issued by Malam Garba Deen Muhammad, Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) Group General Manager, Group Public Affairs Division  in Abuja.
It said the NNPC through its Frontier Exploration Services and Renewable Energy Division (FESRED) had progressed reasonably with seismic acquisition activities in the Chad Basin frontier area.

Gombe

No fewer than 7,000 patients, including children, have
benefited from a free medical service provided by Rep. Inusa Abubakar.
Abubakar, who represents Deba Federal Constituency, disclosed this to journalists while fielding questions on his constituency project  in Gombe.
The lawmaker said the gesture was part of the dividends of democracy he promised his constituents.
Abubakar, who is the Chairman, House Committee on Federal Road Safety (FRSC), said: “We invited an NGO to provide free medical treatment to about five to seven thousand patients.

Jigawa

The Jigawa Consumer Protection Committee (CPC)  said
it confiscated 49 fake standard measures (Mudus) from grains sellers in the state.
Its Chairman, Alhaji Farouk Abdallah, disclosed this via telephone interview with our correspondent  in Dutse.
Abdullahi said the items were seized from the traders when members of the committee paid an unexpected visit to Guri market in Guri Local Government Area of the state.
He noted that the action was to check lack of uniformity of mesures in all the markets in the state, adding that “the action would also provide consumer protection”.
The chairman added that it was also to sanitise the business environment and ensure accuracy in all commercial transactions in the state.

Kogi

The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has approved N20
billion as bailout for the Kogi Government.
The state governor, Alhaji Yahaya Bello, announced this  in Lokoja while addressing a rally held by Organised Labour to mark this year’s May Day celebration.
Bello explained that the N20 billion was the first tranche of the N50 billion applied for to clear salary arrears of the state and local government workers.
He blamed the delay in the release of the fund on the last administration, saying that the application submitted by his predecessor was shoddily done and fraught with irregularities.
“We had to start from scratch. We are glad to announce that our efforts have paid off. This week, we received approval to draw down on the first tranche of our Bailout Funds from the Federal Government”.

Kano

The National Association of Resident Doctors of Ni
geria (NARD) has shifted its planned nationwide strike by two weeks.  The strike that was to commence on April 25 will now begin on May 9.
The National President of the association, Dr Muhammad Askira, made the disclosure while addressing a news conference in Kano recently.
Askira said the decision to shift the date of the strike was taken after the extraordinary meeting of the National Executive Council of the association held on April 26 in Sokoto.
He said after deliberations on the progress made so far, the NEC decided to shift the strike by two weeks.
According to him, the decision to shift the strike followed the prompt intervention of President Muhammadu Buhari during a meeting with NMA National leadership as contained in a statement released by his SSA on media.
Osun

The Ooni of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Ogunwusi, has com
miserated with the government and people of Edo over the demise of the late Oba of Benin, Omo n’Oba Erediauwa.
A condolence message signed by the Ooni’s Director of Media and Public Affairs, Moses Olafare, said that Edo, Ile-Ife ,Oduduwa race, Nigeria and the entire African continent would greatly miss the late monarch. Ogunwusi described the deceased as a respecter and manager of African culture as well as an embodiment of values, respect, peace, discipline and honesty. He also said the highly respectable monarch was blessed with an uncommon and enviable character.

Oyo

A new political group seeking registration, All
Grassroots Alliance (AGA), says it will sponsor an executive bill advocating a five-year single term for political office holders if voted into power in 2019. Mr Yekini Salimanu, the National Publicity Secretary of the group, stated this  at its public presentation in Ibadan. He said the four- year term, with opportunity for a second term, often promoted bad governance.

Sokoto

A death has occurred of a veteran diplomat and former
permanent secretary Alahji Hamzat Ahmadu. According to a statement by the Senior Special Assistant, Media to Governor Aminu Tambuwal, Imam Imam, Ahmadu, who held the traditional title of Walin Sokotod, died at a private hospital in Lagos on Sunday, aged 92. An accomplished diplomat and technocrat, the deceased served as Personal Secretary to two Nigerian military leaders, Gen. Aguiyi Ironsi and Gen. Yakubu Gowon. He had also served as Nigeria’s Ambassador to U.S., Germany, France and the former Soviet Union (USSR). Responding to the news of his death Tambuwal, described the deceased as peace-loving and committed family man who gave valuable contributions to the unity and development of Nigeria.

Taraba

Catholic Bishops in Benue and Taraba have  converged
on Kashimbila in Takum Local Government Area of Taraba to pray for God’s intervention over insecurity in parts of the country.  The prayer pilgrimage for reconciliation, peace and unity was held at the St. Edward De Confessor Catholic Parish, Kashimbila in Takum. In attendance were the Catholic Bishop of Jalingo Diocese, Most Rev. Dr. Charles Hammawa; Bishop of Katsina-Ala Diocese, Most Rev. Peter Adoboh and Bishop of Gboko Diocese, Most Rev. Williams Avenya who is also the Secretary of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of Nigeria (CBCN).

Continue Reading

Nation

Enugu: Court Remands Siblings For Alleged Murder Of Makeup Artiste

Published

on

An Enugu State High Court, presided by Justice I. K. Okpe yesterday remanded two siblings allegedly involved in the murder of makeup artiste, Ijeoma Nneke, in Enugu Correctional Center.
The prosecuting counsel, Mrs Ngozi Ikem-Okoye. informed the court that the prosecution also had an application that sought the leave of the court to call additional witnesses in the matter.
However, the defence counsel, Mr C. U. Okafor, in response, said that the application was unnecessary as the accused had yet to take pleas.
Okafor held that the case was not yet before the court, adding that the prosecution did not seem to be ready to prosecute the case.
Delivering judgment, Okpe adjourned the case until August 25 for ruling on the application to call additional witnesses.
Recall that the two siblings were alleged to have conspired to kill Ijeoma on November 11, 2020, at 66 Ozubulu Street, Independence Layout, Enugu.
They were also alleged to have killed the victim by forcing her to drink poisonous substances and thereafter poured acid all over her body.

Continue Reading

Nation

Court Criticises DSS Over Failure To Produce Detained Igboho’s Aides

Published

on

A Federal High Court, Abuja, yesterday criticised the Department of State Services (DSS) over failure to produce in court the 12 persons arrested at the residence of Yoruba nation’s agitator, Sunday Adeyemo, popularly known as Sunday Igboho.
Justice Obiora Egwuatu, in a ruling, also ordered the DSS to produce the applicants in court in the next adjourned date.
The Tide learnt that Justice Egwuatu had, on July 23, ordered the DSS to produce the detainees in court yesterday.
The order followed a fundamental right enforcement suit that the lawyers to the detained applicants, Pelumi Olajengbesi, filed on their behalf, pursuant to Section 32(1) and (2) of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act (ACJA) as well as Sections 6(6), 35 and 36 of 1999 Constitution, as amended.
The 12 persons, who had been in the DSS detention since July 2, are; Abdullateef Ofeyagbe, Amoda Babatunde (Aka Lady K), Tajudeen Erinoyen, Diakola Ademola, Abideen Shittu, and Jamiu Noah.
Others are Ayobami Donald, Adelabe Usman, Oluwafelumi Kunle, Raji Kazeem, Taiwo Opeyemi and Bamidele Sunday.
The Tide source reports that the DSS had, on July 1, confirmed that its operatives stormed Igboho’s home in Ibadan, arrested about 13 suspects; including a female and 12 males.
It also disclosed that two people were killed in the raid.
However, at the resumed hearing yesterday, Counsel to the DSS, I. Awo, informed the court that the applicants could not be brought because the service procured an order to hold the detainees.
Awo based the absence of the 12 detainees on the grounds that investigations into the circumstances that led to their arrest at Mr Igboho’s home were ongoing.
He hinted that of the 12 detainees on the court’s order, only three were being held by the DSS.
The lawyer listed the three detainees in the DSS custody to include: Amoda Babatunde (Aka Lady K), Diakola Ademola and Bamidele Sunday.
Reacting, Olajengbesi, urged the court to reject the service’s explanation as it was in contempt of the court’s order.
“The apparent affront on the authority of the court by the DSS cannot be justified,” the applicants’ lawyer argued.
He urged the court to discountenance the purported detention order that was procured by the DSS, arguing that it was not a Certified True Copy (CTC).
The lawyer prayed the court to admit his clients to bail.
Olajengbesi also informed the court that he had been denied access to his client, and urged the court to make an order in that regard.
Ruling, Egwuatu charged the DSS to purge itself of such a negative public perception as it did not paint a good picture of Nigeria before the international community.
He then ordered the security outfit to produce the detainees and show cause why they should not be granted bail.
“An order is hereby made directing the respondent (DSS) to allow the applicants’ counsel have access to the applicants, and the respondents are ordered to produce the applicants on the next adjourned date,” he said.
He adjourned the matter until August 2 for continuation of hearing.

Continue Reading

Nation

Anambra Poll: Obi, Ozigbo Beg PDP Stakeholders To Unite For Victory

Published

on

Former governor of Anambra State, Mr Peter Obi and one of the two factional governorship candidates of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Mr Valentine Ozigbo, have begged stakeholders and members of the party to unite for easy victory during the November 6 election in the state.
Obi and Ozigbo spoke yesterday in Awka, during a reconciliation meeting of the party, which was summoned by Ozigbo to reunite members of the party, after the rancour caused by the holding of two primary elections by the party on June 26, which produced Ozigbo and Senator Ugochukwu Uba.
Obi, while speaking at the meeting called on everyone to come together and work for the victory of the party in the forthcoming governorship election, saying that the primary was over and should be done with.
“I’m ready to beg all the aspirants for us to win the election. This candidate must win this election and we will not run away in our State because of anyone. I will win my local government and that is my assurance, nothing will stop us from winning the governorship election. Anambra must not go back to what it used to be.
“PDP has the best candidate for this election and we are going to win it, we have a formidable candidate and we need a formidable team to win it. I’m committed to PDP 24 hours and the party’s governors in the country are committed to winning the Anambra State election. It is our own election and we will win it,” the former governor said.
Ozigbo, in his address, reeled out the efforts he had made in reconciling every member and aspirants but regretted that the litigations in the party had held it down, adding that the party’s legal team was not relenting in evacuating the obstacles.
“I didn’t win the primary, but PDP and Anambra won. We’re one family but we are going to unite soon. Our enemies are not within, but outside PDP. PDP is a platform that will bring Igbo together, nobody should weave in what is happening now. We’re going to occupy the government house by the grace of God.
“The major reason for the gathering is to thank you for what you did and thank you for what you will do in the coming days because the real battle is coming. We are not celebrating because the real celebration will come on November 6. There’s a need for us to go into the governorship battle as a united family.
“I’ve visited my co-aspirants and I received positive vibes from Senator Uche Ekwunife, Hon Chris Azubogu, Dr Obiora Okonkwo, Dr Godwin Maduka, Mr Godwin Ezeemo and others.
“What I want to tell you now is that every other party in this State is counterfeit from APGA to APC to YPP and that is why I’m begging all our stakeholders to have faith in me and I won’t disappoint them.
“They should forgive and forget and I’m ready to make every sacrifice for all of us to come together. We want to make the founder of PDP, late Dr Alex Ekwueme, proud whereever he is and that’s the assurance I gave the daughter, lady Chidi Onyemelukwe, when we spoke before the meeting.

Continue Reading

Trending