The re-elected lawmaker
for Port Harcourt Federal Constituency II, Hon Blessing Charles Nsiegbe, says, the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) under the present administration of President Mohammadu Buhari, has no courage to conduct a credible and acceptable election in Nigeria.
Hon Nsiegbe, who said this in an interview with newsmen in Port Harcourt, recently, said the masses may revolt in 2019, if there is no improvement from what was witnessed so far in the re-run of March 19, 2015 election in Rivers State.
She said, the experience from the just-concluded re-run polls in the state has shown that INEC was yet to come to grips with its constitutional mandate to conduct a credible and acceptable election in the country.
She called on the commission to re-orient it’s officials on good conduct during elections, noting that INEC failed woefully in the conduct of the recent rerun election in Rivers State.
Insisting that the conduct of the rerun polls was worse than the 2015 experience, Nsiegbe hinted that INEC would have rigged Port Harcourt Constituency II election in favour of All Progressives Congress (APC) in the state, if not by the grace of God.
The lawmaker described the outcome of the re-run polls in the state as a triumph of good over evil, and called on APC supporters to jettison the call for the cancellation of the election as the call was no longer possible.
Hon Nsiegbe, however stressed the need for all opposition parties including APC to join hands with Governor Nyesom Wike to move the state forward, saying that the interest of Rivers State must supersede all personal interests and parties in the state.
The lawmaker thanked her constituency for their unalloyed supports for her and the PDP, assuring that she would continue to bring dividends of democracy to them.
Ambassador Desmond Akawor Inaugurated As New Rivers State PDP Chairman
Bode George Urges FG To Relax Lagos Lockdown
A former Deputy National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Chief Olabode George has urged federal government to relax the lockdown it imposed on Lagos State as a result of COVID- 19 pandemic.
George, who made the call in a statement in Lagos, yesterday said the lockdown imposed since March 29 was adversely affecting livelihoods and bringing up security challenges.
He said though government intended to curb the spread of the virus with the lockdown, the directive had left many Nigerians hungry at home without palliatives.
The PDP chieftain noted that there must be a balance between curbing the spread of the virus and protecting livelihoods and asked the government to relax the lockdown while putting safety measures in place.
“Everywhere in Lagos is now locked down. The markets, banking halls, the local grocery shops, the supermarkets, the transportation services are all halted, frozen by the federal government directives since March 29.
“On the surface level, the federal government’s position is to ensure safety, prevent communal spread of the virus and banish this scourge from our shores.
“Lagosians have been staying at home for about a month now. In a largely informal economy where most of our people depend on daily wages, the burden of lack of income is devastating.
“There is a natural growing anger in Lagos as the most vulnerable are ravaged with hunger,” George said.
Prince Charles, Kagame, Others Condole Buhari Over Loss Of Kyari
Prince Charles has condoled with President Muhammadu Buhari, the government and people of Nigeria over the death of Abba Kyari, the former Chief of Staff to the President.
According to a statement by Malam Garba Shehu, the President’s Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, in Abuja, last Wednesday, Prince Charles described the death of Mallam Kyari was “a desperately sad news”.
Prince Charles regretted that the death of Kyari had occurred through “this pernicious virus…I can only begin to imagine what an immense gap Mr. Kyari’s untimely death will leave in Your Excellency’s life and my heart goes to you and Mr Kyari’s family”.
In a message through the Embassy of Rwanda in Abuja, President Paul Kagame, the government and people of Rwanda extended their heart-felt condolences to the Nigerian leader.
Kagame used the opportunity “to express solidarity to the government and people of the Federal Republic of Nigeria as we are faced with the Covid-19 global crisis”.
The former Vice president, Architect Namadi Sambo in his own message to the President, described the death of Abba Kyari as a “monumental national loss”.
In his condolence message to the president, an industry leader and businessman, Abdulsamad Rabi’u said he was deeply saddened by what he described as “this colossal loss”.
Featured5 days ago
Plan To Declare State Of Emergency In Rivers Uncovered
News5 days ago
Former Nigeria President Jonathan Loses Foster Dad.
Featured4 days ago
Rivers State Government Relaxes Lockdown In Port Harcourt And Obio/Akpor
Opinion4 days ago
The Tomfoolery of RIVLEAF
Featured4 days ago
Governor Wike Inaugurates State Community Policing Advisory Committee
News2 days ago
Banigo Felicitates With Justice Wike On Her Birthday
Featured4 days ago
Oil Workers Contribute Sixty Percent Cooronavirus Cases In Rivers – Wike
Featured7 hours ago
Rivers Records 27 New Coronavirus Cases …Manager Of Prodest Hotel Among The New Cases