The Port Harcourt Electric
ity Distribution Company (PHED) says the new tariff regime approved by the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission(NERC) to commence 1st of February would be of immense benefit to customers.
The Manager, Corporate Communications of the firm, Mr. Jonah Iboma, who made the statement on Monday in Port Harcourt, explained that the new tariff would address issues usually raised by customers on fixed charges, high electricity bills and meter provision.
Iboma explained further that the removal by the regulatory body of fixed charges hitherto paid by various categories of customers, means that electricity users are now at liberty to determine their actual consumption.
According to him’’ under the new regime, the fixed charge component of the tariff has been rebalanced to reflect the wishes of stakeholders in the industry.
‘’Under the new tariff approved by NERC, single phase residential customers would now pay N24.91 per unit with no fixed charge, as against N15.09 per unit plus the N700 fixed charge. Rural customers (those who consume less than 50Kw/h every month) also known as R1, have their tariff unchanged at N4.00. In addition, commercial customers classified as C1, C2 and C3, would now pay an all-inclusive charge of N35.88, N43.72 and N44.30; while industrial customers classified as D1, D2 and D3 pay an all-inclusive charge of 36.19, 44.01 and 44.59 per unit’’, he said.
Iboma noted that NERC’s decision on the new tariff is based on a 10-year tariff plan submitted by electricity distribution companies in the country after due consultations with stakeholders that was carried out between July and September 2015.
He informed that some of the stakeholders that made contributions to the new tariff were residential, commercial and industrial customers, civil society groups and non-governmental organizations.
“Between July and September 2015, we went round the four states of our licensed area of coverage, consulting and discussing the tariff, after which a report was submitted to NERC based on the positions and findings from the stakeholders”.
He further stated that many variables were also considered by NERC in arriving at the new tariff and they included foreign exchange rate, gas prices, rate of inflation and generation capacity, in addition to increase in the generation and transmission charges.
The company spokesman explained further that the new tariffs and the resulting revenue will help to progress the necessary infrastructural improvement from generation to transmission and the local distribution networks like PHED, stressing that the ultimate goal is to provide the electricity infrastructure to power Nigeria’s future.
Traders Protest FG’s Move To Restore Festac Town
The move by the Federal Government to restore Festac Town in Lagos to its original status has sparked up protest among traders occupying Agboju Amuwo Planks and Building Materials Market.
The traders on Wednesday, protested at the FHA office in Festac Town against the demolition of their market, following the demolition of illegal structures by the Federal Housing Authority (FHA) ahead of the restoration.
The Tide recalls that there was a petition to the Minister of Works and Housing, Mr Babatunde Fashola, in 2020 about illegal structures that had taken over Festac Town.
Speaking at a stakeholders’ meeting on the restoration of Festac town organised by FHA, last year, its South-West Zonal Manager, Mr Akintola Olagbemiro, said, “This year, we commenced the restoration of Festac town, following the consent judgement from the court against illegal occupants of Festac land.
“Our action is to save the residents from the insecurity that has taken over the entire Festac town as a result of illegal structures everywhere”.
The chairman of allottees of First Gate to Third Gate, Mr Kole Olatunji, in his remarks at the meeting said the land from First Gate to Third Gate was allocated between 1985 and 1999, noting that with the consent judgment, original owners of the land as allocated should take over their plots.
But the chairman of plank market, Muhammed Bello, protested the seven-day notice given to traders to vacate the place without alternative arrangements.
Bello said: “How do they expect us to remove our wares in seven days?
“What we want is that they should allow us to remain there and we will pay whatever amount they ask us to pay”.
Speaking in the same vein, the chairman of Cane Chair and Furniture Association, Emmanuel Okoye said: “We need freedom. Let them tell us where they want us to stay. That place was swampy. We filled the place with several millions of Naira which we got as loans.
“We also rely on loans to do our business. Whatever the government wants us to pay; we are ready to pay to remain there. We have been there for 27 years. What we lost to the demolition is over N300 million”.
Fuel Tanker Explosion Kills Five, Injures Two In Ogun
No fewer than five persons were on Wednesday burnt to death, while two others sustained first degree of injury in a fuel tanker explosion at Ajilete, along Owode-Idiroko road, in Yewa South local government area of Ogun State.
Eyewitness accounts revealed that a truck bearing 33,000 litres of petroleum product was descending the steep portion of the road when its tank suddenly detached from truck’s body and tumbled to the ground with a bang.
The explosion, the witnesses said, killed five persons on the spot, while two other persons were injured.
The Tide learnt that the seven victims were all residents of the area where the accident occurred.
Confirming the incident, the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) Commander, Idiroko Unit, Akinwunmi Olaluwoye, said five deaths were recorded in the accident which occurred at about 8.15 am on Wednesday.
According to him, the remains of the dead had been claimed by their families.
He disclosed that a bus and a motorcycle were also caught in a web of the explosion and razed.
He said, “no vehicle rammed into the tanker. The tank dropped off from the back of the tanker and exploded. The number of persons involved are seven; five dead, two injured.
“The driver had taken away the head of the truck as at the time we got there. But we have allowed the police to take charge and handle that aspect”.
Travellers To Access $4,000 As CBN Boosts Forex Supplies
Nigerians travelling abroad can now access a maximum amount of $4,000 foreign exchange from banks following the Central Bank of Nigeria’s (CBN) announcement to increase forex supplies.
The CBN had said in a recent statement that it had concluded plans to increase the amount of foreign exchange allocated to banks to meet legitimate needs.
This followed the warning by the CBN Governor, Mr Godwin Emefiele, to Deposit Money Banks to desist from denying customers the opportunity to purchase foreign exchange.
The purposes to access forex included Personal Travel Allowance, Basic Travel Allowance, tuition fees, and medical payments as well as Small and Medium Enterprises transactions or for the repatriation of Foreign Direct Investment proceeds, the CBN had stated.
Sources from some of the banks said those travelling on business trips could also access a maximum amount of $5,000 for each trip.
At a virtual Bankers’ Committee meeting last week, the bankers discussed how the CBN intended to assist with forex to ensure availability for the upcoming summer period and the return of students to school in September.
The CBN also said the BDCs would continue to have their weekly allocations.
The committee observed that the rates were going up.
It stated, “The CBN has said that all the banks must make availability at all times and anyone who wants to buy BTA, PTA, medical fees, student school fees and all the eligible invisible purchases to ensure that Nigerians are not forced to go and queue in the parallel market.
“So what the Central Bank is doing is to encourage all banks to make sure that there is available forex at all times, and that his information should be communicated on all our platforms.
“We are asking our customers to come to the branches and for BTA, for example, present the required documents, which are basically your international passport, your visa, your valid ticket and fill up the form in the bank.
“And what we have been instructed to do is ensure that we don’t turn anybody back and that we should request from the Central Bank once we exhaust the forex that we have.
“The idea is to have a hitch-free summer period and the resumption for children to go back to school. The idea is to ensure there is less pressure on the forex and then the rates will come down”.
Speaking during the virtual meeting, the Group Managing Director, Access Bank, Herbert Wigwe, said, “I think again as part of the Central Bank’s role in terms of price stability and the need to support small and medium enterprises, there was highlight of the need for banks to go and support SMEs who import small raw materials for them to set up their businesses”.
The Managing Director, Ecobank, Patrick Akinwuntan, said, “All banks are available to ensure forex need is met.”
Managing Director, Sterling Bank, Abubakar Suleiman, said the CBN had provided sufficient foreign exchange to meet the needs of all legitimate Nigerian travellers and therefore, the idea of going to any other market should not arise at all.
- City Crime4 days ago
10 Offenders Convicted Under Anti-Piracy Law – NIMASA DG
- Politics4 days ago
NUJ Hails Wike As Pride Of Democracy In Nigeria
- Politics4 days ago
PDP Rep Harps On Justice, Dialogue To Secure Nigeria
- Politics4 days ago
Ex-APC National Chairman Tasks Party On Responsive Leadership
- Politics4 days ago
‘No Man Would Have Done What Wike Has Done’
- News4 days ago
Etche Diaspora Donates Equipment To Six Hospitals
- Sports4 days ago
Is Musa’s Super Eagles Career Fading?
- Politics4 days ago
Makinde Denies APC Defection Rumours