Connect with us

Business

NLC Demands Review Of Minimum Wage

Published

on

The President of Nigeria
Labour Congress (NLC), Mr Ayuba Wabba, has demanded  the review of the N18, 000 minimum wage by the Federal Government.
Wabba said that the union was in support of the government’s anti-corruption crusade being part of the initiatives to repositioning Nigeria’s economy.
The NLC president said this at the National Executive Council (NEC) meeting of the union.
According to him, the current minimum wage is unrealistic with the present economic reality.
He said that when the NLC agreed on the N18,000 minimum age with the Federal Government, the exchange rate was N140 to a dollar “but as at today, it is N220 to a dollar’’.
Wabba said that the Nigerian workers should be treated fairly by reviewing their salary upward in line with the present economic reality, adding that the minimum wage was no longer enough to sustain workers.
He condemned the spate of corruption in the country, where privileged few cornered the resources belonging to all Nigerians, adding that the NLC would support the President Mohammed Buhari on his move to prosecute culprits.
“The issue of corruption in Nigeria is mindboggling and unacceptable to us as this has caused many of us to be living in penury.
“Those responsible for corruption and stealing of our collective patrimony should be prosecuted and face the law if found wanting, this is the only way to make Nigeria work,” he said.
He said that a lot of resources that should accrue to the state were being stolen by individuals and some privileged few.
The NLC president called on the Federal Government to encourage workers to expose corruption in their domain, adding that if workers were encouraged as whistle blowers it would help the country.
He said that the president should ensure that such workers were protected from acting as whittle blower, adding that no one should be victimised for such act.
Wabba said that the various probes by the anti-corruption agencies must not end up like others such as power sector, fuel subsidy scam which ended without result.
He called for speedy trial of suspects by the judiciary, adding that judges must not be allowed to henceforth grant injunctions against suspect.
“The anti-corruption agencies must not relent in prosecuting corruption; that money must be recovered and put back into the country,’’ he said.
He called for the diversification of the economy, adding that a situation where the government would depend largely on oil revenue to run the country was inimical to its growth.
He, however, warned the Federal Government against disengaging workers in the cause of the merging of ministries, departments and agencies (MDAs) of government, saying, “ NLC would resist such move’’.
He said that merging of ministries with the sole aim of disengaging workers would be met with stiff resistance by labour unions.

Continue Reading

Business

Traders Protest FG’s Move To Restore Festac Town

Published

on

The move by the Federal Government to restore Festac Town in Lagos to its original status has sparked up protest among traders occupying Agboju Amuwo Planks and Building Materials Market.
The traders on Wednesday, protested at the FHA office in Festac Town against the demolition of their market, following the demolition of illegal structures by the Federal Housing Authority (FHA) ahead of the restoration. 
The Tide recalls that there was a petition to the Minister of Works and Housing, Mr Babatunde Fashola, in 2020 about illegal structures that had taken over Festac Town.
Speaking at a stakeholders’ meeting on the restoration of Festac town organised by FHA, last year, its South-West Zonal Manager, Mr Akintola Olagbemiro, said, “This year, we commenced the restoration of Festac town, following the consent judgement from the court against illegal occupants of Festac land.
“Our action is to save the residents from the insecurity that has taken over the entire Festac town as a result of illegal structures everywhere”.
The chairman of allottees of First Gate to Third Gate, Mr Kole Olatunji, in his remarks at the meeting said the land from First Gate to Third Gate was allocated between 1985 and 1999, noting that with the consent judgment, original owners of the land as allocated should take over their plots.
But the chairman of plank market, Muhammed Bello, protested the seven-day notice given to traders to vacate the place without alternative arrangements.  
Bello said: “How do they expect us to remove our wares in seven days?
“What we want is that they should allow us to remain there and we will pay whatever amount they ask us to pay”.
Speaking in the same vein, the chairman of Cane Chair and Furniture Association, Emmanuel Okoye said: “We need freedom. Let them tell us where they want us to stay. That place was swampy. We filled the place with several millions of Naira which we got as loans.
“We also rely on loans to do our business. Whatever the government wants us to pay; we are ready to pay to remain there. We have been there for 27 years. What we lost to the demolition is over N300 million”.

Continue Reading

Business

Fuel Tanker Explosion Kills Five, Injures Two In Ogun

Published

on

No fewer than five persons were on Wednesday burnt to death, while two others sustained first degree of injury in a fuel tanker explosion at Ajilete, along Owode-Idiroko road, in Yewa South local government area of Ogun State.
Eyewitness accounts revealed that a truck bearing 33,000 litres of petroleum product was descending the steep portion of the road when its tank suddenly detached from truck’s body and tumbled to the ground with a bang.
The explosion, the witnesses said, killed five persons on the spot, while two other persons were injured.
The Tide learnt that the seven victims were all residents of the area where the accident occurred.
Confirming the incident, the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) Commander, Idiroko Unit, Akinwunmi Olaluwoye, said five deaths were recorded in the accident which occurred at about 8.15 am on Wednesday. 
According to him, the remains of the dead had been claimed by their families.
He disclosed that a bus and a motorcycle were also caught in a web of the explosion and razed.
He said, “no vehicle rammed into the tanker. The tank dropped off from the back of the tanker and exploded. The number of persons involved are seven; five dead, two injured.
“The driver had taken away the head of the truck as at the time we got there. But we have allowed the police to take charge and handle that aspect”.

Continue Reading

Business

Travellers To Access $4,000  As CBN Boosts Forex Supplies

Published

on

Nigerians travelling abroad can now access a maximum amount of $4,000 foreign exchange from banks following the Central Bank of Nigeria’s (CBN) announcement to increase forex supplies.
The CBN had said in a recent statement that it had concluded plans to increase the amount of foreign exchange allocated to banks to meet legitimate needs.
This followed the warning by the CBN Governor, Mr Godwin Emefiele, to Deposit Money Banks to desist from denying customers the opportunity to purchase foreign exchange.
The purposes to access forex included Personal Travel Allowance, Basic Travel Allowance, tuition fees, and medical payments as well as Small and Medium Enterprises transactions or for the repatriation of Foreign Direct Investment proceeds, the CBN had stated.
Sources from some of the banks said those travelling on business trips could also access a maximum amount of $5,000 for each trip.
At a virtual Bankers’ Committee meeting last week, the bankers discussed how the CBN intended to assist with forex to ensure availability for the upcoming summer period and the return of students to school in September.
The CBN also said the BDCs would continue to have their weekly allocations.
The committee observed that the rates were going up.
It stated, “The CBN has said that all the banks must make availability at all times and anyone who wants to buy BTA, PTA, medical fees, student school fees and all the eligible invisible purchases to ensure that Nigerians are not forced to go and queue in the parallel market.
“So what the Central Bank is doing is to encourage all banks to make sure that there is available forex at all times, and that his information should be communicated on all our platforms.
“We are asking our customers to come to the branches and for BTA, for example, present the required documents, which are basically your international passport, your visa, your valid ticket and fill up the form in the bank.
“And what we have been instructed to do is ensure that we don’t turn anybody back and that we should request from the Central Bank once we exhaust the forex that we have.
“The idea is to have a hitch-free summer period and the resumption for children to go back to school. The idea is to ensure there is less pressure on the forex and then the rates will come down”.
Speaking during the virtual meeting, the Group Managing Director, Access Bank, Herbert Wigwe, said, “I think again as part of the Central Bank’s role in terms of price stability and the need to support small and medium enterprises, there was highlight of the need for banks to go and support SMEs who import small raw materials for them to set up their businesses”.
The Managing Director, Ecobank, Patrick Akinwuntan, said, “All banks are available to ensure forex need is met.”
Managing Director, Sterling Bank, Abubakar Suleiman, said the CBN had provided sufficient foreign exchange to meet the needs of all legitimate Nigerian travellers and therefore, the idea of going to any other market should not arise at all.

Continue Reading

Trending