Connect with us

Nation

THE STATES

Published

on

Adamawa

Supporter of President-elect Muhammadu Buhari,
identified as Abubakar Duduwale , has set for a walk from Yola in Adamawa to Abuja.
He told newsmen in Yola on Saturday at the onset of the walk that the adventure was to express his joy over the emergence of Buhari as president-elect.
Duduwale, from Yola North Local Government Area of Adamawa and Chamba by tribe, reportedly began the journey at Yola Gate on Yola-Numan highway at about 6:30 a.m.
He said he had wanted to start the journey a day after the Independent National Electoral Commission announced Buhari as a winner but somebody from Lagos pre-empted him.
“The reason why I am trekking from Yola to Abuja is to express my joy and solidarity with President -elect Muhammadu Buhari.
“I want to trek from Yola to Abuja to witness the inauguration ceremony of President elect, Duduwale said.

Borno

The Borno State Government has warned residents
in the state capital to desist from tapping electricity from street lights using generators.
The warning is contained in a statement signed by Alhaji Baba Sanda, the Permanent Secretary in the state Ministry of Works.
The statement described the spate of vandalism and illegal connection of electricity in Maiduguri as disturbing and called on the people of the state to stop the trend.
“In spite of the concerted efforts being made to stop the illegal act, it has continued.
“That is why we have intensified efforts and patrol to ensure that anyone caught in the act faces the wrath of the law,’’ the statement said.
It also said that measures had been put in place to deal with persons caught tampering with all government facilities in the state.

FCT

The Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS) on Friday
said it would take stringent measures to check the activities of scammers that were swindling unsuspecting job seekers of large sums of money.
Mr Gboyega Fola-Kayode, Special Assistant to the Comptroller-General of the service, Mr David Parradang, said this during an interview with newsmen in Abuja.
Fola-Kayode, who spoke for the comptroller-general, was reacting to a case of job scam reported by one of the 2015 recruitment applicants.
He said Parradang condemned the incident, saying that a lot of Nigerians had been swindled of large sums of money by scammers with promise of fake employment into various agencies and parastatals of government.

Kano

Kano State Task Force Sanitation Committee, has
shut down the Unguwa Uku slaughter house in Kano due to very poor sanitary condition.
Chairman of the committee, Alhaji Abdullahi Abbas, told newsmen that the action was taken after “several warnings over the past few months”.
Abbas who doubled as the State Commissioner for Environment said two local governments were responsible for the slaughter house.
Abbas, who was represented by the Permanent Secretary of the Ministry, Alhaji Bello Bari, explained that the committee had written to Kumbotso and Tarauni local councils to reconstruct drainage at the abattoir but were yet to comply.
He said that the present drainage was done without expert advice.
The committee said that the slaughter house was closed to safeguard the lives of residents.
Katsina

Katsina State Governor-elect, Aminu Masari has
promised to provide free education and healthcare services for the benefit of orphans in the state.
Masari made the promise in Katsina on Saturday while donating food items to the Katsina Orphanage Home.
He said that his administration would continue to feed the orphans free of charge on a daily basis.
The governor-elect said that the gesture was part of his efforts to improve the living condition of people in the state, particularly the less privileged in the society.
“My administration will do everything possible to cater for the need of such children so that they will grow up to be responsible people in the society.

Kebbi

Members of the Nigerian Labour Congress (NLC)
in Kebbi State on Friday elected Malam Murtala Usman, as the new Chairman at its triennial delegates conference held in Birnin Kebbi.
The Returning Officer for the conference, Mr Kafas Dogonyaro, said that Usman polled 603 votes against the incumbent Chairman, Alhaji Sadiq Kao’je, who garnered 437 votes.
The other officials elected as ex-officio included Malam Samaila Sawwa, Malam Aminu Kangiwa and Malam Abubakar Danladi.
Dogonyaro also announced that other officials of the NLC that were returned unopposed included Malam  Yunusa Musa,Vice Chairman; Malam Tasiu Lawal,Vice Chairman; Malam Umar Kalidu, Treasurer and, Malam Abubakar Umar, Auditor.

Kaduna

The Ahmadu Bello Memorial Foundation, has advised
the President-elect, Gen. Muhammadu Buhari to strengthen anti corruption laws in the country to make it easier to prosecute offenders.
The Managing Director of the foundation, Justice Mamman Nasir, made the appeal at a news conference in Kaduna.
Nasir said fighting corruption would require laws that would make it difficult for people to be corrupt and easier to prosecute.
Nasir, who is also a former president, Court of Appeal said, “Our laws must make corruption difficult to perpetuate but easy to logically prosecute persons accused of corruption.”
He also called for the strengthening of the nation’s security forces to make them well informed and committed to protecting the country’s constitution.

Lagos

The Lagos State Government on Friday said it res
cued no fewer than 62 babies abandoned across the state in the last one year.
The Permanent Secretary in the Office of Youths and Social Development, Dr.  Adesegun Oshinyinka,  gave the figure at a news conference in Ikeja.
He said that 34 of the babies were male, while 28 were female.
The permanent secretary said that the babies had been taken to some registered orphanages where they were being given adequate care.

Ondo

The Ondo Government has banned the production
and consumption of locally-made gin, commonly called ‘ogogoro‘ in the state.
The state Commissioner for Health, Dr Dayo Akinyanju, announced this at a news conference in Akure on Saturday.
The commissioner attributed the ban to the outbreak of an unknown disease two weeks ago in Irele Local Government Area of the state.
“Our clinical analysis reveals the fact that there were no known viruses, while toxicology reports have confirmed our prime suspicion of methanol poisoning.
“We have reviewed our strategies and embarked on sensitisation to let people know that locally-made gin is prohibited.

Osun

Assemblyman Busola Adeyeni representing Ife-East
in Osun has pleaded with Nigerians who are living in other countries to invest in their country.
He made the plea in an interview news on Saturday in Ile-Ife.
Adeyeni expressed concerns about the attitudes of some Nigerians abroad who, somewhat, abandoned and neglected their home country just for mere luxury of living.
He also urged them to always come home to celebrate annual festivals which he said could give them the opportunity to interact and make investment plans.
“It is not a crime to be a sojourner in a foreign land but it is a crime not to have a foresight for the future,’’ he said.

Governor Babatunde Fashola of Lagos State (3rd left), President, Guild of Editors, Mr  Femi Adesina (2nd left), General Secretary, Mr Isaac Ighure(4th right), and others  during the  Guild of Editors visit to Governor Fashola in Lagos last Friday.

Governor Babatunde Fashola of Lagos State (3rd left), President, Guild of Editors, Mr Femi Adesina (2nd left), General Secretary, Mr Isaac Ighure(4th right), and others during the Guild of Editors visit to Governor Fashola in Lagos last Friday.

Continue Reading

Nation

Emirates Resumes Flights To Nigeria, June 23

Published

on

The UAE carrier, Emirates Airlines, would start carrying passengers from South Africa, Nigeria and India from June 23, the UAE Embassy said as it announced revised rules on Covid-19.
“We look forward to facilitating travel from these countries and supporting various travellers’ categories,” the airline said in a separate statement, yesterday.
“Residence visa holders from India and travellers from South Africa should’ve taken two doses of a vaccine approved by UAE authorities and carry RT-PCR tests reports from labs approved by the federal governments of these countries.
“But for Nigerians vaccination is not made mandatory but all other conditions apply.
“In addition to the above, Indians have to take a rapid PCR test four hours prior to their travel.
“While there are four vaccines in the UAE for use on eligible individuals against the Covid-19 infection – Sinopharm, Pfizer-BioNTech, Sputnik V and Oxford-AstraZeneca, it is unclear if the UAE has approved vaccines administered on Indian, South African and Nigerian citizens in their countries,” it stated.
“All travellers are also required to present a negative Covid-19 test result taken within 48 hours before departure.
“UAE citizens are exempted.
“Only QR coded PCR test result certificates are accepted.
“All passengers must take a rapid PCR test four hours prior to flight departure.
“All passengers must undergo a PCR test on arrival at Dubai Airport.
“Passengers should undergo institutional quarantine until they receive their PCR test result, which is expected within 24 hours.
“Passengers should produce a negative PCR test certificate with a QR Code from labs approved by the Nigerian government.
“All passengers must undergo a PCR test on arrival to Dubai Airport.
“Transit passengers should comply with entry protocols of final destinations.
“Entry will now be permitted to residents who have received two doses of UAE-approved vaccines,” the state said.
The revised procedures for travellers coming from the Republic of India, South Africa and Nigeria were issued by the Supreme Committee of Crisis and Disaster Management in Dubai.
They are effective from June 23, the Dubai Media Office said.
It said the updates are part of the committee’s keenness to protect passengers and ease hassles for them without compromising on Covid-19 preventive measures, said the Chairman of the Supreme Committee, Sheikh Mansoor Al-Maktoum.
The Media Office announcement said the updated travel protocols are part of a normal process of revising and optimising preventive measures based on the latest local, regional and international developments.

Continue Reading

Nation

Bagudu Vows To Lead Rescue Operation Over Yauri Abduction

Published

on

Governor Atiku Bagudu of Kebbi State last Saturday vowed to lead the rescue operation of teachers and students abducted from the Federal Government College (FGC), Birnin Yauri, in Ngaski Local Government Area of the State.
Bagudu, who is also Chairman, Progressives Governors’ Forum, spoke when local hunters visited him.
Reports had that the Chairman, Nigeria Governors’ Forum (NGF) and Ekiti State Governor, Dr Kayode Fayemi, and his Jigawa State counterpart, Alhaji Badaru Abubakar, also paid a solidarity and sympathy visit on Gov. Bagudu.
Bagudu assured that some other governors and  stakeholders will join him in the ongoing search operations for the abducted students and staff of the school.
According to him, he will discuss with his colleagues and security agencies in this direction, so as not to jeorpardise the ongoing commendable operations to rescue the abducted students and staff.
He said: “But, we will go out there and like I promised, the day we will move out, I will not be in the office because we will join you in the field.”
The Kebbi State Governor said that this would be done barring all consequences in a bid to rescue the abductees.
Bagudu argued: “It is not weapons that win wars, but it is the will that bad people cannot triumph and we will show that, we have enough will power .
“President Muhammadu Buhari and the security agencies have been doing the best they could with limited resources.
“But, we also need to mobilize, kit ourselves and take on these bandits. Our various scriptures as Muslims and Christians allow us to put our lives at risk in defence of our honour, property and our faiths.
“In what the bandits are doing, they have challenged all of us, so, we can’t let them.”
Bagudu asked the hunters to go back and fully mobilise, pending when he gets the necessary clearance from the security agencies, adding, “we will meet in the field.”
The governor maintained that governors were not sworn in only to sit down in the office and work.
He stated that they are aware that one day they would be required to lead in the field, even though they are not military or police personnel.
He said that if hundreds of thousands of people can be mobilised during campaigns, same should be done now to join the search party.
He said: “What happened in Birnin Yauri should be the last straw. We should follow these bandits wherever they are and take them on.”
Bagudu also described the abduction as very callous, even as he lauded the security agencies, management of the school, ‘Yan Sakai and vigilantes for their heroic efforts since the bandits struck at the college.

Continue Reading

Nation

Govs, Others Task Security Agencies On S’East

Published

on

South-East governors and leaders have requested security agencies in the zone to respect the rights and privileges of all those living in the zone.
They made the call on Saturday in Enugu after a meeting attended by political leaders, socio-cultural organisations, clerics and the traditional leaders.
The Chairman, South-East Governors’ Forum, Governor David Umahi of Ebonyi State, who addressed reporters after the meeting, condemned the killing of civilians in the zone by security agencies.
Umahi urged them to discharge their duties within the law and in accordance with their rules of engagement.
The Ebonyi governor reaffirmed the commitment of the region to the corporate existence of the country.
Umahi, however, said that such union must be based on love, mutual respect and equality of rights irrespective of one’s religion, ethnic group, political inclination and creed.
The governor said the various secessionist groups from the region were not speaking for the people of the area.
He said the leaders from the zone had set up a committee to engage the agitators to allow elders of the region to address their fears.
“We have come out publicly on many occasions to speak against such agitations,” he said.
Umahi said the meeting was in fulfilment of the June 11 agreement they had with a federal government delegation led by the Minister of Defense, Bashir Magashi, a retired major-general.
“Consequent upon that, we scheduled our own meeting today to discuss and articulate our positions.
“This is to enable us not only engage the presidential team but also engage our people over all burning issues,” he said.
The governor said leaders from the region had noted with concern threats against the Igbo people by some groups in other regions.
“The meeting pleaded with leaders of other regions to note such threats to our people, address it and protect our people,” he said.
He said that governors from the South-East had assured people from other ethnic nationalities of their safety in the region in spite of the prevailing circumstances.
The leaders condemned the killing of security personnel and burning of government infrastructure in the region.
He called on National Assembly members from the region to support the creation of state police in the ongoing efforts to amend the constitution.
The governor said the meeting endorsed the South-East joint security unit called EbubeAgu, and requested the personnel to work with statutory security agencies.
Those present at the meeting included Okezie Ikpeazu of Abia and Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi of Enugu.
Anambra and Imo states were represented by the deputy governors, Nkem Okeke and Placid Njoku respectively.
Others were the Senate Minority Leader, Enyinnaya Abaribe; Minister of Labour and Productivity, Chris Ngige; Minister of State for Mines and Steel Development, Uche Ogah, and President General of Ohaneze Ndigbo, George Obiozo.

Continue Reading

Trending