A Jigawa State based NGO, the Association for the Ad
vancement of Women in Nigeria (ASSAWIN), has distributed uniforms and books to 151 pupils in Hadejia.
The Director of the organisation, Hajiya Aisha Babangida, said this while distributing the items to the beneficiaries in Hadejia.
Babangida said that school uniforms, books, bags, shoes and other instructional materials were distributed to children selected from 20 primary and junior secondary schools in the area.
She said that the gesture was to encourage enrolment and retention in school.
“This is part of the Orphans and Vulnerable Children (OVC) initiative to support the education of less privileged children.
“We had so far secured 36 birth certificates of children whose mothers could not do so following the death of their fathers,” she said.
Babangida explained that the organisation had also trained 40 mothers and children on various trades and provided them with economic strengthening equipment to enable them engage in productive activities.
The Dredgers Association of Nigeria has urged the Na
tional Inland Waterways Authority (NIWA) to stop illegal dredging of sand in water ways across the country.
Executive Secretary of the association, Mr Richard Ntang, made the appeal in an interview with newsmen in Lagos.
Ntang said the “reckless” sand excavation had made the depth of water ways irregular and dangerous for transportation and aquatic activities.
He said NIWA and the Federal Ministry of Solid Minerals should effectively tackle the problem, especially in Lagos State.
“Unlicensed operators have caused havoc to the even depth of nation’s waterways.
“Unsafe dredging activities pose threat to the safety of lives and the environment because it can cause a canoe or boat to capsize at will.”
The Kano State House of Assembly has passed into law
the 2015 Appropriation Bill of over N210 billion as proposed by the state government.
Speaking after the passage of the bill, the speaker, Alhaji Ali Danja, thanked the members for working tirelessly towards the passage of the bill in time.
He said its early passage would enable the state government to implement people-oriented programmes.
During the sitting of the house, the Speaker also announced the receipt of 2015 budget proposal for the 44 local governments in the state.
It would be recalled that on February 3, the Chairman of the House Committee on Budget and Appropriation, Alhaji Sule Bichi, presented the committee’s report on the budget proposal to the plenary.
Bichi said the amount was not altered after a thorough screening by members of the committee.
The wife of Governor Abdulfatah Ahmed of Kwara STate,
Omolewa, has appealed to women in the country to imbibe healthy lifestyles to reduce the risk of having cancer.
A statement by Omolewa’s Press Officer, Mr Adeniyi Adeyinka, in Ilorin said she made the appeal to mark the World Cancer Day last Wednesday.
The statement said that women had been sensitised at the local level in Nigeria, especially on how to prevent breast and cervical cancers through public enlightenment.
“We are consciously providing basic screening centres in 28 communities spread across the geographical spread of Kwara,’’ it quoted her as saying.
The statement said the state had one of the most sophisticated diagnostic centres for cervical and breast cancer in Nigeria.
It urged all women to be conscious of living healthy lifestyles and to regularly go for checkup.
Nassarawa State Universal Basic Education Board says it
has recently that it had not deducted the salary of primary school teachers to finance the election campaign of Governor Tanko Al-Makura.
The Executive Chairman of the board, Alhaji Abdulkarim Abdullahi said in an interview with newsmen in Keffi, that those peddling the rumour “do not wish the state well.”
He explained that the 20 per cent shortfall in the January salary of teachers of public primary schools in the state was due to reduction of funds received from the Federation Account.
Abdullahi, however, assured all teachers affected that the balance would be paid soon.
“I want to debunk claims in some quarters that the All Progressive Progress (APC) government in the state has deducted 20 per cent of primary schools teachers’ salaries to fund its campaign.
“This is not true; it is coming from those that do not wish the state well.
“I want to state, clearly, that the allegation is baseless, false and unnecessary as the board has not owed the salary of any teacher in the state.”
The Niger State Government says it will apply the full weight
of the law on anyone involved in political violence before, during and after elections.
The state Commissioner for Justice and Attorney General, Alhaji Abdullahi Wuse, stated this after the Executive Council meeting in Minna.
He said government was worried by the wanton intimidation, destruction and threat by some people in the build up to the elections.
“Council members decry the manner of political activities by some unscrupulous people since the campaigns began.
“Various judicial measures are already in place in our statute books. Law enforcement agencies have been directed to arrest and prosecute perpetrators of violence of any kind.
“We appeal to parents and guardians of minors to warn their children and wards in order to avoid being prosecuted for their children’s actions’’, he said.
The Ogun State Hospital in Sango-Ota may give mass burial
to 205 unclaimed corpses in 2014 by the end of this month, an official said.
Head of Mortuary Attendants, State Hospital, Ota, Mr Kunle Babalola, gave the indication in an interview with newsmen in Sango-Ota.
Babalola said that the hospital would follow the due process before the mass burial.
According to him, the unclaimed corpses in the hospital mortuary include 95 males, 85 females and 25 children.
Babalola said that there was a stipulated period of between six months and one year within which claimers could come for the corpses before declaring them unclaimed.
The Ondo State Government has in Akure announced
that the state has not recorded any case of Avian Influenza (bird flu).
The state’s Commissioner for Agriculture, Mr Lasisi Oluboyo, told newsmen that the state government had taken measures to prevent the spread of the disease to the state.
Oluboyo explained that the major causes of the disease include heat, and unhygienic water given to the birds.
The commissioner said that the state had been fortunate as rain had fallen to mitigate the hot weather and provide more water for farmers.
“We have had rainfall this year, it is a good thing because some of the causes of the virus are heat and unavailability of clean water.
“We have enlightened our poultry farmers to provide adequate clean water for their birds and ensure that their vaccines are given regularly. Prevention is better than cure,” he said.
Osun State Government has warned the residents
against dumping refuse in drains and streams to avoid flooding.
Deputy Director, Water and Environmental Sanitation (WES), Mr Gabriel Odesanmi, Ife Central Local Government, gave the warning in Ile-Ife in an interview with newsmen He said that the rains that fell recently flushed out waste dumped inside gutters, thereby causing majority of roads in Ile-Ife to be littered with refuse.
He said that the sanitarians had been educating the masses on the need to maintain personal and environmental cleanliness.
“We have tried all efforts to sensitise the people on how to keep their refuse properly and maintain personal and environmental cleanliness, but they refuse to yield to simple correction.
Two artisans, a bricklayer and vulcaniser, have lost their
lives in the process of evacuating a septic tank at Oremeji area, Mokola, Ibadan.
Our correspondent reports that the two men fell into the septic tank and died before help could get to them.
An eye witness, Mr Akamo Oladimeji, who identified the victims as Wasiu and Solomon respectively, explained that they were invited by the residents of the house to evacuate their septic tank.
Oladimeji said: “One of the deceased was trying to pour some chemicals into the soak-away before evacuation when he fell inside.
“While trying to rescue him, the second man fell inside as well.
“There was a third person with them but he escaped death because he had gone in search of a pumping machine they needed for the evacuation.”
Enugu: Court Remands Siblings For Alleged Murder Of Makeup Artiste
An Enugu State High Court, presided by Justice I. K. Okpe yesterday remanded two siblings allegedly involved in the murder of makeup artiste, Ijeoma Nneke, in Enugu Correctional Center.
The prosecuting counsel, Mrs Ngozi Ikem-Okoye. informed the court that the prosecution also had an application that sought the leave of the court to call additional witnesses in the matter.
However, the defence counsel, Mr C. U. Okafor, in response, said that the application was unnecessary as the accused had yet to take pleas.
Okafor held that the case was not yet before the court, adding that the prosecution did not seem to be ready to prosecute the case.
Delivering judgment, Okpe adjourned the case until August 25 for ruling on the application to call additional witnesses.
Recall that the two siblings were alleged to have conspired to kill Ijeoma on November 11, 2020, at 66 Ozubulu Street, Independence Layout, Enugu.
They were also alleged to have killed the victim by forcing her to drink poisonous substances and thereafter poured acid all over her body.
Court Criticises DSS Over Failure To Produce Detained Igboho’s Aides
A Federal High Court, Abuja, yesterday criticised the Department of State Services (DSS) over failure to produce in court the 12 persons arrested at the residence of Yoruba nation’s agitator, Sunday Adeyemo, popularly known as Sunday Igboho.
Justice Obiora Egwuatu, in a ruling, also ordered the DSS to produce the applicants in court in the next adjourned date.
The Tide learnt that Justice Egwuatu had, on July 23, ordered the DSS to produce the detainees in court yesterday.
The order followed a fundamental right enforcement suit that the lawyers to the detained applicants, Pelumi Olajengbesi, filed on their behalf, pursuant to Section 32(1) and (2) of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act (ACJA) as well as Sections 6(6), 35 and 36 of 1999 Constitution, as amended.
The 12 persons, who had been in the DSS detention since July 2, are; Abdullateef Ofeyagbe, Amoda Babatunde (Aka Lady K), Tajudeen Erinoyen, Diakola Ademola, Abideen Shittu, and Jamiu Noah.
Others are Ayobami Donald, Adelabe Usman, Oluwafelumi Kunle, Raji Kazeem, Taiwo Opeyemi and Bamidele Sunday.
The Tide source reports that the DSS had, on July 1, confirmed that its operatives stormed Igboho’s home in Ibadan, arrested about 13 suspects; including a female and 12 males.
It also disclosed that two people were killed in the raid.
However, at the resumed hearing yesterday, Counsel to the DSS, I. Awo, informed the court that the applicants could not be brought because the service procured an order to hold the detainees.
Awo based the absence of the 12 detainees on the grounds that investigations into the circumstances that led to their arrest at Mr Igboho’s home were ongoing.
He hinted that of the 12 detainees on the court’s order, only three were being held by the DSS.
The lawyer listed the three detainees in the DSS custody to include: Amoda Babatunde (Aka Lady K), Diakola Ademola and Bamidele Sunday.
Reacting, Olajengbesi, urged the court to reject the service’s explanation as it was in contempt of the court’s order.
“The apparent affront on the authority of the court by the DSS cannot be justified,” the applicants’ lawyer argued.
He urged the court to discountenance the purported detention order that was procured by the DSS, arguing that it was not a Certified True Copy (CTC).
The lawyer prayed the court to admit his clients to bail.
Olajengbesi also informed the court that he had been denied access to his client, and urged the court to make an order in that regard.
Ruling, Egwuatu charged the DSS to purge itself of such a negative public perception as it did not paint a good picture of Nigeria before the international community.
He then ordered the security outfit to produce the detainees and show cause why they should not be granted bail.
“An order is hereby made directing the respondent (DSS) to allow the applicants’ counsel have access to the applicants, and the respondents are ordered to produce the applicants on the next adjourned date,” he said.
He adjourned the matter until August 2 for continuation of hearing.
Anambra Poll: Obi, Ozigbo Beg PDP Stakeholders To Unite For Victory
Former governor of Anambra State, Mr Peter Obi and one of the two factional governorship candidates of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Mr Valentine Ozigbo, have begged stakeholders and members of the party to unite for easy victory during the November 6 election in the state.
Obi and Ozigbo spoke yesterday in Awka, during a reconciliation meeting of the party, which was summoned by Ozigbo to reunite members of the party, after the rancour caused by the holding of two primary elections by the party on June 26, which produced Ozigbo and Senator Ugochukwu Uba.
Obi, while speaking at the meeting called on everyone to come together and work for the victory of the party in the forthcoming governorship election, saying that the primary was over and should be done with.
“I’m ready to beg all the aspirants for us to win the election. This candidate must win this election and we will not run away in our State because of anyone. I will win my local government and that is my assurance, nothing will stop us from winning the governorship election. Anambra must not go back to what it used to be.
“PDP has the best candidate for this election and we are going to win it, we have a formidable candidate and we need a formidable team to win it. I’m committed to PDP 24 hours and the party’s governors in the country are committed to winning the Anambra State election. It is our own election and we will win it,” the former governor said.
Ozigbo, in his address, reeled out the efforts he had made in reconciling every member and aspirants but regretted that the litigations in the party had held it down, adding that the party’s legal team was not relenting in evacuating the obstacles.
“I didn’t win the primary, but PDP and Anambra won. We’re one family but we are going to unite soon. Our enemies are not within, but outside PDP. PDP is a platform that will bring Igbo together, nobody should weave in what is happening now. We’re going to occupy the government house by the grace of God.
“The major reason for the gathering is to thank you for what you did and thank you for what you will do in the coming days because the real battle is coming. We are not celebrating because the real celebration will come on November 6. There’s a need for us to go into the governorship battle as a united family.
“I’ve visited my co-aspirants and I received positive vibes from Senator Uche Ekwunife, Hon Chris Azubogu, Dr Obiora Okonkwo, Dr Godwin Maduka, Mr Godwin Ezeemo and others.
“What I want to tell you now is that every other party in this State is counterfeit from APGA to APC to YPP and that is why I’m begging all our stakeholders to have faith in me and I won’t disappoint them.
“They should forgive and forget and I’m ready to make every sacrifice for all of us to come together. We want to make the founder of PDP, late Dr Alex Ekwueme, proud whereever he is and that’s the assurance I gave the daughter, lady Chidi Onyemelukwe, when we spoke before the meeting.
- Sports3 days ago
Sports Minister Hails Anyanacho,Offiong
- Editorial4 days ago
Party Defections Taken Too Far
- Politics4 days ago
INEC Commences Physical CVR In Rivers
- Opinion4 days ago
Growing Menace Of Campus Prostitution
- Politics4 days ago
PDP’ll Participate In Anambra Guber Poll – Chieftain
- Politics4 days ago
2023: Group Insists On S’ South Presidency
- Nation4 days ago
Enugu Youths Hail Ugwuanyi’s Governance Style
- Sports3 days ago
Eguma Laments Rivers United’s Tight Fixtures