An Ado-Ekiti Customary Court has dissolved an 8-
year-old marriage between Mr Victor Ilesanmi and his wife, Omobola.
Ilesanmi, 38, had accused Omobola of threatening his life, lack of respect and failed to take care of their only child.
He also told the court that his wife was responsible for the frequent quarrels in the family.
Omobola, 35, however, denied the allegations, saying that she was giving her husband all the necessary attentions and respect .
She accused her husband of failing to take care of her when she put to bed, adding that her parents catered for her and the child.
The Ministry of Mines and Steel Development said
on Friday that the Federal Government had trained more than 3,000 artisanal and small scale miners on mining techniques and mineral processing.
Mr Patrick Ojeka, the Acting Director, Artisanal and Small Miners Department in the ministry, said this in Abuja during an interview with newsmen.
Ojeka said the training was conducted through the ministry’s extension service training programme which started in 2011.
According to him, the training is aimed of ensuring safety during mining in the country.
“More than 300 mining cooperatives have benefited from the extension service. Each cooperative had a minimum of 10 members while some had up to 100 members,’’ he said.
The Chairman, Nigeria Medical Association (NMA)
in Gombe State, Dr Adamu Bojude, has called on voluntary organisations to assist the doctors in rendering medical service to patients.
Bojude made the call in an interview with newsmen in Gombe recently.
He said that in spite of the strike by the Joint Health Sector Union (JOHESU), doctors had been rendering skeletal service to patients.
The NMA chairman said the doctors could not manage situation alone, adding that it was only the Red Cross that had been assisting them in the hospitals.
He said the number of volunteers was limited, and called on other voluntary organisations to emulate the Red Cross.
Bojude added that doctors could only render service to out-patients at units like the Accident and Emergency units.
The police have arraigned a 33-year-old man, Idris
Dayyabu, in a Magistrates’ Court in No Man’s Land in Kano, charged with receiving three stolen motorcycles.
The accused, a resident of Brigade Quarters, is facing a two-count charge of criminal conspiracy and receiving stolen property.
According to the First Information Report (FIR), the case was reported at Brigade Police Division by one Ibrahim Haruna and Lawal Musa on March 24.
The complainants reported that Dayyabu of Brigade Quarters dishonestly received three motorcycles, which were stolen from them.
The report added that the motorcycles, with registration numbers; XQ96BUK, XB25DAL, XU53GKU valued at N130,000, N120,000 and N90,000 respectively, were altogether valued at N340,000.
The Katsina State Commissioner for Health, Alhaji
Mannir Talba, said that the state government would partner with Wacot Ltd, an agriculture inputs company, on healthcare delivery to rural communities.
Talba made this known in Faskari at the inauguration of Mairuwa Primary Health Centre, which was renovated and furnished by Wacot Ltd .
The commissioner, who was represented by the ministry’s Permanent Secretary, Dr Muhammad Qabasiyyu, commended Wacot Ltd on the initiative, geared toward enhancing public health.
He urged other profit making institutions to emulate the company and enjoined the people of the area to patronise the facility to cater for their basic health needs.
A PDP governorship aspirant in Kwara State, Mr
Jani Ibrahim, has described Sen. Sule Ajibola’s victory in the primary election as a victory for democracy in the state.
Ibrahim said this in a congratulatory message to Ajibola in the aftermath of the just-concluded PDP governorship primaries..
According to Ibrahim, “this is a hard-won victory; it is victory for democracy, due process and transparency. It is also victory for all of us who cherish freedom of choice’’.
“On behalf of my family and the Jani Ibrahim Campaign Organisation, I warmly congratulate my brother, Sen. Simeon Ajibola, on his emergence as the flag-bearer of our great party for the 2015 governorship election,” he added.
Ademu Halidu, the Kogi State Secretary of All Farm
ers Association of Nigeria (AFAN) has said that the fish production level in the state was very low.
Halidu, who is also the Leader of AFAN in Benue and Kogi States, told newsmen in Lokoja that there was a high demand for fish products in the state.
He said that there were factors and challenges limiting the level of production of the fish farms in the state.
According to him, the chemicals needed to treat the ponds are expensive and not readily available, adding that the fish feeds are also very costly.
He noted that the fish farmers were not adequately trained on the methods of application, preservation and fish feeding, in order to get high yields.
“Fish farmers have not been able to receive adequate training on how to manage and run fish farming.
A defendant, Okwumo Nwabufor, has told an Igbosere
High Court, Lagos that he never ordered the purchase of the drug, Ryhophnol, that was used to drug the late Cynthia Osokogwu
Nwabufor, 34, spoke while being cross-examined by Mr Chris Obiaka, the counsel to the third defendant in the case, Orji Osita.
“I never asked the third defendant to purchase any drug for me neither did I purchase any drug,’ ’ he said.
Nwabufor is standing trial before Justice Olabisi Akinlade, alongside Olisa Chidera, 24, Osita, 33 and Ejike Ifechukwu, 25.
The men were accused of the July 22, 2012 murder of their Facebook friend, Miss Cynthia Osokogwu, a businesswoman, at Cosmilla Hotel, Lake View Estate, Festac Town, Lagos.
Nwabufor also told the court that he had late Osokogwu’s Blackberry phone in his possession because she gave him the phone to repair and sell for her.
The Ore Command of Federal Road Safety Commission
(FRSC) has advised motorists to desist from drinking and driving on the highways during the Yuletide.
Mr Kehinde Dahunsi, Unit Commander, said this in Ore while flagging off FRSC campaign with the theme: “Drive to Save a Life’’.
He said that the majority of the road accidents recorded during festivities was caused by drunk driving.
Dahunsi said that accidents were also caused by human errors and urged motorists to always put on their safety belts and avoid speeding.
The commander advised drivers against overloading and overtaking wrongly.
President Goodluck Jonathan on Friday urged Vice-Chan
cellors of Nigerian Universities to strengthen the existing internal security network in their institutions.
Jonathan gave the advice at the 40th Convocation ceremony of the Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU), Ile-Ife in Osun.
Represented by Prof. Viola Onwuliri, the Minister of State for Education, Jonathan advised the vice-chancellors to be proactive in maintaining law and order.
He also urged the institution to be security-conscious to detect and arrest the activities of insurgent groups in their various campuses.
“You should strengthen the internal governance structures of the institutions and should create new ones if necessary to make them more sensitive and responsible to the needs and demands of staff, students and other stakeholders,’’ he said.
The president, however, called for dialogue between formal and informal groups in order to promote greater flow of information between staff, students and universities authorities.
Emirates Resumes Flights To Nigeria, June 23
The UAE carrier, Emirates Airlines, would start carrying passengers from South Africa, Nigeria and India from June 23, the UAE Embassy said as it announced revised rules on Covid-19.
“We look forward to facilitating travel from these countries and supporting various travellers’ categories,” the airline said in a separate statement, yesterday.
“Residence visa holders from India and travellers from South Africa should’ve taken two doses of a vaccine approved by UAE authorities and carry RT-PCR tests reports from labs approved by the federal governments of these countries.
“But for Nigerians vaccination is not made mandatory but all other conditions apply.
“In addition to the above, Indians have to take a rapid PCR test four hours prior to their travel.
“While there are four vaccines in the UAE for use on eligible individuals against the Covid-19 infection – Sinopharm, Pfizer-BioNTech, Sputnik V and Oxford-AstraZeneca, it is unclear if the UAE has approved vaccines administered on Indian, South African and Nigerian citizens in their countries,” it stated.
“All travellers are also required to present a negative Covid-19 test result taken within 48 hours before departure.
“UAE citizens are exempted.
“Only QR coded PCR test result certificates are accepted.
“All passengers must take a rapid PCR test four hours prior to flight departure.
“All passengers must undergo a PCR test on arrival at Dubai Airport.
“Passengers should undergo institutional quarantine until they receive their PCR test result, which is expected within 24 hours.
“Passengers should produce a negative PCR test certificate with a QR Code from labs approved by the Nigerian government.
“All passengers must undergo a PCR test on arrival to Dubai Airport.
“Transit passengers should comply with entry protocols of final destinations.
“Entry will now be permitted to residents who have received two doses of UAE-approved vaccines,” the state said.
The revised procedures for travellers coming from the Republic of India, South Africa and Nigeria were issued by the Supreme Committee of Crisis and Disaster Management in Dubai.
They are effective from June 23, the Dubai Media Office said.
It said the updates are part of the committee’s keenness to protect passengers and ease hassles for them without compromising on Covid-19 preventive measures, said the Chairman of the Supreme Committee, Sheikh Mansoor Al-Maktoum.
The Media Office announcement said the updated travel protocols are part of a normal process of revising and optimising preventive measures based on the latest local, regional and international developments.
Bagudu Vows To Lead Rescue Operation Over Yauri Abduction
Governor Atiku Bagudu of Kebbi State last Saturday vowed to lead the rescue operation of teachers and students abducted from the Federal Government College (FGC), Birnin Yauri, in Ngaski Local Government Area of the State.
Bagudu, who is also Chairman, Progressives Governors’ Forum, spoke when local hunters visited him.
Reports had that the Chairman, Nigeria Governors’ Forum (NGF) and Ekiti State Governor, Dr Kayode Fayemi, and his Jigawa State counterpart, Alhaji Badaru Abubakar, also paid a solidarity and sympathy visit on Gov. Bagudu.
Bagudu assured that some other governors and stakeholders will join him in the ongoing search operations for the abducted students and staff of the school.
According to him, he will discuss with his colleagues and security agencies in this direction, so as not to jeorpardise the ongoing commendable operations to rescue the abducted students and staff.
He said: “But, we will go out there and like I promised, the day we will move out, I will not be in the office because we will join you in the field.”
The Kebbi State Governor said that this would be done barring all consequences in a bid to rescue the abductees.
Bagudu argued: “It is not weapons that win wars, but it is the will that bad people cannot triumph and we will show that, we have enough will power .
“President Muhammadu Buhari and the security agencies have been doing the best they could with limited resources.
“But, we also need to mobilize, kit ourselves and take on these bandits. Our various scriptures as Muslims and Christians allow us to put our lives at risk in defence of our honour, property and our faiths.
“In what the bandits are doing, they have challenged all of us, so, we can’t let them.”
Bagudu asked the hunters to go back and fully mobilise, pending when he gets the necessary clearance from the security agencies, adding, “we will meet in the field.”
The governor maintained that governors were not sworn in only to sit down in the office and work.
He stated that they are aware that one day they would be required to lead in the field, even though they are not military or police personnel.
He said that if hundreds of thousands of people can be mobilised during campaigns, same should be done now to join the search party.
He said: “What happened in Birnin Yauri should be the last straw. We should follow these bandits wherever they are and take them on.”
Bagudu also described the abduction as very callous, even as he lauded the security agencies, management of the school, ‘Yan Sakai and vigilantes for their heroic efforts since the bandits struck at the college.
Govs, Others Task Security Agencies On S’East
South-East governors and leaders have requested security agencies in the zone to respect the rights and privileges of all those living in the zone.
They made the call on Saturday in Enugu after a meeting attended by political leaders, socio-cultural organisations, clerics and the traditional leaders.
The Chairman, South-East Governors’ Forum, Governor David Umahi of Ebonyi State, who addressed reporters after the meeting, condemned the killing of civilians in the zone by security agencies.
Umahi urged them to discharge their duties within the law and in accordance with their rules of engagement.
The Ebonyi governor reaffirmed the commitment of the region to the corporate existence of the country.
Umahi, however, said that such union must be based on love, mutual respect and equality of rights irrespective of one’s religion, ethnic group, political inclination and creed.
The governor said the various secessionist groups from the region were not speaking for the people of the area.
He said the leaders from the zone had set up a committee to engage the agitators to allow elders of the region to address their fears.
“We have come out publicly on many occasions to speak against such agitations,” he said.
Umahi said the meeting was in fulfilment of the June 11 agreement they had with a federal government delegation led by the Minister of Defense, Bashir Magashi, a retired major-general.
“Consequent upon that, we scheduled our own meeting today to discuss and articulate our positions.
“This is to enable us not only engage the presidential team but also engage our people over all burning issues,” he said.
The governor said leaders from the region had noted with concern threats against the Igbo people by some groups in other regions.
“The meeting pleaded with leaders of other regions to note such threats to our people, address it and protect our people,” he said.
He said that governors from the South-East had assured people from other ethnic nationalities of their safety in the region in spite of the prevailing circumstances.
The leaders condemned the killing of security personnel and burning of government infrastructure in the region.
He called on National Assembly members from the region to support the creation of state police in the ongoing efforts to amend the constitution.
The governor said the meeting endorsed the South-East joint security unit called EbubeAgu, and requested the personnel to work with statutory security agencies.
Those present at the meeting included Okezie Ikpeazu of Abia and Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi of Enugu.
Anambra and Imo states were represented by the deputy governors, Nkem Okeke and Placid Njoku respectively.
Others were the Senate Minority Leader, Enyinnaya Abaribe; Minister of Labour and Productivity, Chris Ngige; Minister of State for Mines and Steel Development, Uche Ogah, and President General of Ohaneze Ndigbo, George Obiozo.
- Entertainment4 days ago
Alibaba, Banky W, Others Attend Wizkid’s Debut Album’s 10th Anniversary
- Politics4 days ago
Ayade And The APC Albatross
- News4 days ago
Amnesty Kicks As FG Pushes Social Media Regulation
- Business4 days ago
Travellers To Access $4,000 As CBN Boosts Forex Supplies
- Niger Delta4 days ago
Abducted NLC Chairman Regains Freedom In C’River
- Politics4 days ago
PDP’ II Bring Desired Change In 2023 – Diri
- Women4 days ago
60 -Year – Old Man Commits Suicide After Assaulting Daughter
- Women4 days ago
Women Now Drink As Much As Men