Connect with us

Nation

THE STATES

Published

on

Ekiti

An Ado-Ekiti Customary Court has dissolved a 9-
year-old marriage between Mrs Enema Friday and his wife, Mary.
Our correspondent reports that the case first came up for mention on May 6.
The marriage was dissolved on grounds of frequent beating, threat to life, as well as lack of care.
Mary, 32, told the court that her husband maltreated her which made her to pack out of his house.
She said the husband had not been taking care of her because of her childlessness, and that he once threatened her with a pistol for allegedly having extra marital affairs.
Mary explained that she contributed to the building of their house, but had to pack out because of the threat.

FCT

Some workers in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT)
have reacted to plans by the territory’s administration in conjunction with the Nigerian Labour Congress (NLC) to provide affordable, quality accommodation for workers.
While some of the respondents commended the initiative as a way of ameliorating the high cost of accommodation in Abuja, others advised parties to the agreement to extend such opportunity to workers in the public sector.
According to Mr Samson Isah, an Abuja-based civil servant, the housing initiative was commendable and should be encouraged by well-meaning Nigerians.
He advised government and the labour unions to monitor the project thoroughly to ensure that the contractors delivered on schedule.

Gombe

Members of the Sickle Cell Association club in
Gombe, have appealed for increase in their drugs following a rise in the number of their registered members.
The Chairman of the association, Malam Isa Barkama, made the appeal in an interview with newsmen in Gombe.
He said that the number of the registered members rose from 10,000 to 17,000 following awareness campaigns embarked upon by the association.
“Initially, we had only 10,000 members who were registered but our number increased to 17,000 because of the awareness campaigns we embarked upon,” he said.
He said that the wife of the Gov. Hajiya Adama Dankwambo, had been giving them the drugs free of charge.
He said that people were now voluntarily bringing their children for the test, adding, “it is important for everyone to know his or her genotype’’.

Jigawa

The Nigeria Security and Civil Defence (NSCDC)
in Jigawa State said it arrested a 33-year-old-man with 16 bags of adulterated animal feed.
The NSCDC Commandant in the state, Mr Muhammad Gidado, told newsmen in Dutse that the suspect was arrested at Maigatari International Market recently.
Gidado complained that many people engaged in selling adulterated food items, particularly Sesame oil and other cooking oil.
He said “our men have succeeded in arresting a 33-year-old-man with 16 bags of adulterated animal feed at the popular Maigatari International Market.
“Intelligence report shows that many people have developed the habit of selling adulterated food items such as Sesame oil, cooking oil and many more.’’
Katsina

The Tertiary Education Trust Fund (TETFund),
yesterday, said it placed top priority on entrepreneurship training of lecturers and students in public tertiary institutions.
The TETFund Board Chairman, Alhaji Musa Babayo, stated this in Katsina at the opening of a two-day capacity building workshop on Entrepreneurship Development in Public Tertiary Institutions in Nigeria.
According to him, the capacity building workshop for lecturers in public tertiary institutions is aimed at promoting entrepreneurship skills.
He said “entrepreneurship has the capacity to create wealth for students and empower them to become self innovative and creative thinkers in business.”

Kwara
Kwara State Government said it was working
toward improving its internally generated revenue (IGR) to better the lots of its citizens.
The state Commissioner for Information and Communication, Mr Tunji Moronfoye, stated this in llorin in an interview with newsmen.
He said that the improved internal revenue would augment the shortfalls in the state’s allocations from the Federation Account.
According to him, this is part of viable initiatives being put together to deliver the dividends of democracy to the people, adding that the government was committed to providing quality and affordable healthcare services.
He said that no fewer than 8,500 people had benefited from the state’s primary healthcare programme.

Lagos

An Ikeja High Court has rejected the bail application
filed by a 52-year-old man, Moses Olayemi, accused of defrauding a Senior Advocate of Nigeria, Dr Aliyu Salman, of N2.5 million.
The trial judge, Justice Lateef Lawal-Akapo, in a ruling on Olayemi’s bail application, agreed with the objections raised by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).
The judge noted that the defendant was previously convicted for the same offences by a Kano State High Court.
He said that Olayemi’s prior criminal record and the severity of the charge could make him abscond if the application was granted.
Lawal-Akapo consequently dismissed the application and ordered Olayemi to be remanded in Kirikiri Maximum Security Prison, pending the conclusion of the case.
Ogun

The convener, Save Nigeria Group, Pastor Tunde
Bakare, says students unionism has fallen from its pinnacle of intellectual doggedness to become mere appendage of political parties.
Bakare, who made this assertion in Abeokuta at the 2014 anniversary of the International Day of Students, said “it is also now a tool for corrupt politicians”.
In a paper titled: “Good Governance: Sustainability of Democracy, the Role of Students in the Forthcoming General Election”, Bakare said students unionism in the country had lost its activists steam and was in a sorry state.
He called on the students’ body to embark on a journey of rebirth to return to the good old days of students’ activism.
“To achieve this, you must rid yourselves of cultism and other self-destructive tendencies and take back student unionism from hoodlums and charlatans.

Osun

The Osun State sector command of the Federal Road
Safety Commission (FRSC) said last Tuesday that it issued 268 new number plates to motorists in the state in the month of October.
The Sector Commander, Mr Muhammad Husaini, made the disclosure in an interview with newsmen in Osogbo.
Husaini said the figure was submitted to the commission by the state revenue board, the department responsible for number plates production.
He added that the figure covered number plates for cars, buses, articulated vehicles and motorcycles.
The sector commander said “the FRSC works in partnership with the state revenue board in registration and production of new number plates or upgrading of old ones by motorists.’’

Sokoto

Governor Aliyu Wamakko of Sokoto State said that
about 1,000 indigent students of the state were currently pursuing various academic programmes in various universities abroad.
They are being sponsored by the government.
Wamakko announced this at the inauguration of Hamma Ali Road in Kware Local Government Area of the state.
He said that the students were studying Medicine, Pharmacy and Engineering, among others.
He said that the state government was committed to producing the needed manpower to develop the state.
Wamakko said that already 240 ward primary health centres had been equipped and provided with ambulances to ensure smooth and effective health care delivery in the state.

President  Goodluck Jonathan (left), receiving letter of credence from the new Ambassador of Denmark to Nigeria, Mr Torben Gettermann in Abuja recently

President Goodluck Jonathan (left), receiving letter of credence from the new Ambassador of Denmark to Nigeria, Mr Torben Gettermann in Abuja recently

Continue Reading

Nation

Insecurity In Nigeria Will End Soon, FG Boasts

Published

on

The Vice President, Prof Yemi Osinbajo, says the recent supplementary budget sent to the National Assembly will help the federal government end insecurity in Nigeria.

Osinbajo spoke when he received the Oluyin of Iyin Ekiti, Oba Adeola Adeniyi Ajakaiye at the Presidential Villa, Abuja, yesterday.

At the meeting was the Minister of Industry, Trade and Investment, Niyi Adebayo, and Senator Opeyemi Bamidele.

The VP appealed urged traditional rulers, local and state governments to collaborate with the President Muhammadu Buhari administration to tackle current challenges.

Osinbajo recalled that Buhari recently constituted a committee to look at the security infrastructure of the country.

“The result of that is a bill before the National Assembly, a supplementary bill. The purpose is to present some of the needs of the military and other security agencies to beef up our response.

“I can assure you that soon, the issue of insecurity will be a thing of the past. We will all live in peace and prosperity in this country.”

The VP advocated vigilance at the local level, noting that most of the troubling issues occur in communities.

Continue Reading

Nation

Probe Gumi’s Allegations, HURIWA Tells Buhari

Published

on

The Human Rights Writers Association of Nigeria (HURIWA), has called on President Muhammadu Buhari to constitute an independent investigative commission to probe the allegations that security operatives collude with bandits as raised by Kaduna-based Islamic scholar, Sheikh Ahmed Gumi.

HURIWA made the call in reaction to Gumi’s claims that the Nigeria Police Force, and the Army were colluding with bandits.

The rights group urged the NPF and the Nigerian Army to investigate probe the allegations.

The Nigerian Army, however, denied the allegation, while warning Gumi against making such claims.

But the Kaduna-based cleric insisted that some bad eggs in the security system were aiding banditry with weapons and drugs.

Reacting to the allegation, the HURIWA said the security agencies should “cover their faces in unmitigated shame for their shameless cowardice and pampering of the Kaduna Islamic cleric Ahmed Gumi, who continues to defend terrorists and flouting with reckless abandon, the Nation’s anti-terrorism law which prohibits aiding and abetting of terrorists.”

In a statement by its National Coordinator, Comrade Emmanuel Onwubiko, and the National Director of Press, Miss Zainab Yusuf, HURIWA dismissed as puerile, infantile, irrational illogical and cowardly, the official responses to the damaging allegations made by Gumi by the Army and police about the unholy communion between security forces and the terrorists terrorizing the whole of North-West carrying out a rash of kidnappings and killings.

Stressing that there are no smokes without fire, HURIWA said, “Whereas Sheikh Gumi has consistently accused the security forces of working with the terrorists, neither the Federal Government nor the security forces have instituted legal action against the prominent Kaduna based Islamic cleric who is credited by even the National Security Adviser of having unfettered access to the terrorists in the North-West of Nigeria.

“With his acclaimed access to the terrorists, is it not conceivably possible that he has some intelligence alluding to a possible unholy alliance between security forces and the terrorists?

“This clear display of unprofessionalism and cowardice by both the Army and police shows that after all, these allegations that the security forces work with terrorists deserves the most forensic and independent investigations.

“Dismissing these allegations with a mere wave of hands as have been done by the police and Army is totally unacceptable.”

The rights group then compared the tepid reactions of Army and police to Gumi’s “very elaborate accusations to the childish cries of the ‘Chihuahua pet dog.’

HURIWA said it does not make any sense that a person with considerable knowledge about the workings of terrorists in the North-West otherwise called armed bandits by the government has made such a major damaging claim of criminal collusion between security forces that ought to protect the territorial integrity of Nigeria and terrorists threatening national security, and the best response we can get are the childish cries from Army spokesman and the police.

“This is a crying shame,” HURIWA insists.

Continue Reading

Nation

FRSC Dismisses Recruitment Rumours

Published

on

The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) has cautioned job seekers against online fraudsters posing as its recruitment agents.

This is contained in a statement by Corps Public Education Officer, Bisi Kazeem, yesterday, in Abuja.

Kazeem said the clarification became necessary following desperate efforts by fraudsters to defraud unsuspecting job seekers.

He said the attention of the FRSC had been drawn to an online publication misinforming the public about the release of shortlisted names for recruitment.

“This is to let the public know that the corps is presently not recruiting neither is there any shortlisted candidates list published on any platform whatsoever.

“Our recruitment processes have always been transparent, credible and made public through adequate placements of advertorials and notifications on all available media platforms.

“This includes our website: www.frsc.gov.ng, our social media handles and the National Traffic Radio 107.1FM,’’ he said.

Kazeem advised members of the public “to desist from any form of engagement with the purveyors of misinformation and outright disinformation as the corps will not be liable should anyone fall victim’’.

Continue Reading

Trending