The Nigeria Union of Local Government Employees (NULGE) has declared a 3-day warning strike, with effect from Monday, to press home its demand that money should not be deducted at JAAC to the Primary Health Care Management Board for the payment of health care workers’ salaries.
NULGE has also threatened to embark on a full-blown strike from Monday, October 27, if its demand is not met at the expiration of the warning strike.
Addressing a Press Conference on the decision reached at the end of its State Executive Council meeting, Monday evening in Port Harcourt, State President of the Union, Barr. Franklin Ajinwo said, “As a responsible trade union, with strong interest in the administration of Rt. Hon. Chibuike Rotimi Amaechi, we cannot stand by and watch the Local Government System drift again into the era of debts and non-payment of salaries better known as zero-allocation.
“To this end, the State Executive Council of the Union during its meeting today, 13th October, 2014 at the NULGE Consultate, resolved, to resist, by all lawful means, attempts to destroy the Local Government System in the state by a few individuals using the Trade Unions as a platform”.
The union also resolved “to call on His Excellency.(Governor Amaechi) to reverse and rescind, within seven (7) days all decisions and directives to the effect that money be deducted at JAAC to the Primary Health Care management Board for the payment of salaries”.
NULGE also resolved, “to call out all local government workers in the State on a three-day warning strike from Monday, 20th – Wednesday, 22nd October, 2014 ie at the expiration of the ultimatum above to press home our demands”, and also “embark on an indefinite strike from Monday, 27th October, 2014 until the decision is reversed.
Our Correspondent reports that the stage for NULGE’s warning strike was set last Wednesday, following the decision that the salaries of health workers in the 23 local government areas of the state should be deducted at source by the Primary health Workers’ Board, with effect from this month end.
The decision to deduct the Health Workers’ salaries was taken last Wednesday at a meeting in Port Harcourt involving the 23 Local Government Councils’ Care-taker Committee Chairmen, Local Government Service Commission, Nigeria labour Congress (NLC), Trade Union Congress (TUC), health Workers’ Board and other stakeholders in Local Government administration in the state.
The interactive meeting which also had in attendance the Governor of Rivers State, Rt. Hon. Chibuike Rotimi Amaechi, however, recorded the absence of NULGE – the Umbrella body of Local Government workers in the country which was attributed to non-communication of last minute information on the meeting by the Local Government Service Commission.
The decision at the meeting was made public by the Care-taker Chairman of Eleme Local Government, Prince Awalanta Ejire, and confirmed variously by his counterparts in Okrika, Hon. Amangi Sunday; Ogu/Bolo, Hon. Mina Tende Andoni, Deacon Emmanuel Ikwut; and Khana, Hon. Gordon Tornwe during a tour of the councils by the State Working Committee of NULGE, led by its President, Sir Barr. Franklin Ajinwon on Thursday and Friday , last week.
The Chairmen of Ogu/Bolo, Okrika and Khana LGAs were, however, emphatic that the governor was not supportive of the position canvassed by some of these at the meeting, as he queried the rationale behind it since there was no problem with payment of salaries at the councils, and workers have been paid upto-date, but majority of the stakeholders insisted that it was in the best interest of the system, prompting the governor to give approval that the Health Workers’ salaries should be deducted at source by the Board, with effect from this month.
Responding to the decision, Barr. Ajinwon said he was aware of moves by some people to deduct local government allocations at source for selfish reasons, saying that such persons were not comfortable with the policy of the state government that allows councils to pay staff salaries without deductions at source since the inception of the administration.
He stressed that the union will resist the decision to deduct the health workers’ salaries at souce, as it will cripple the entire local government system in the state, if allowed to be implemented.
“We want to tell you, Mr. Chairman that as a Union, we have sworn to an oath to protect the local government system. So we will not fold our hands and watch the local government being taken back to the era of ‘zero allocation’ where councils could not pay salaries, upto even 15 months because teachers’ salaries were deducted at source. We want to tell you that as a union, we will resist it”, Ajinwon told the Council Chairman.
Gliz, Glamour As Oloketuyi Premieres Lockdown Heat
Last Sunday, June 13, Seun Oloketuyi’s latest film, ‘Lockdown Heat’ hit the big screen at Silver Bird Cinemas, Lagos for a major premiere. The premiere had celebrities and guests strutting the red carpet before converging on the theatre hall to catch a glimpse of the film.
Some of the guests at the premiere were Mary Lazarus, Samuel ‘Big Sam’ Olatunji, Gbenga Adeyinka and Seun Oloketuyi.
Speaking at the event, the producer of ‘Lockdown Heat’ said, he was inspired by the covid 19 pandemic, which resulted in many notions of locking down cities and countries to curtail the spread of the virus.
”The movie is a true life story which happened during the lockdown, it’s a story of survival during the pandemic, because I don’t think anybody in our generation ever witnessed a pandemic”, Oloketuyi said.
On his part, the movie director, Big Sam Oloketuyi, described the movie as a fantasy film with a blend of two characters, Mary Lazarus and Efa Iwara, who catch viewers’ attention for over an hour. “The movie is a testament to the fact you have to deal with a certain past so that you can forge ahead”, he said.
The film parades Nollywood stars including: Bolanle Omowunmi Dada, Veteran comedian, Gbenga Adeyinka, Mr Macaroni and a host of others.
“Lockdown Heat” tells a story of two young attractive neighbours of opposite sexes, who found themselves embroiled in a shut gun romance as a result of the covid-19 inspired lockdown.
Abia NSCDC Nabs Two Over Rail Track Accessories Vandelism
The Abia State Command of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, has arrested two suspects for allegedly vandalising materials meant for the rehabilitation of the dilapidated Eastern rail line.
The State Commandant, Mr Taiye Ayinla, who assumed duty on Monday, said this in his maiden news briefing in Umuahia yesterday.
Ayinla said the suspects, Samuel Ndubuisi, 20, and Donatus Eze, 29, were arrested at Isuikwuato by operatives of the command following intelligence report.
He said that two other suspected accomplices escaped but said that the command had expanded its intelligence network to ensure they were aarrested.
He said that the operatives recovered 23 railway irons and hooks suspected to be part of the materials for the ongoing railway project.
The commandant also said that his operatives arrested one Sule Bula, 47, a truck driver, along with his conductor, Biliya Musa, 31, on Tuesday at Ubakala, near Umuahia, while allegedly conveying suspected adulterated diesel.
He said the suspects were arrested in a MAN Diesel truck with an inscription: TAKL 131 on the body, with 10,000 liters of the product packaged in cellophane bags and concealed under heaps of bags of fertiliser.
Ayinla promised to take the fight to the sponsors and owners of the illegal oil businesses and acts of vandalism, which he described as the most prevalent in the state.
He said: “My strategy is to look beyond the driver and his conductor. “I will collaborate with the state government, the media and other sister security agencies to police the state and ensure that residents have peace and can sleep with their eyes closed.”
Nigeria’s Comic Republic Adapts African Superheroes For Film, TV
Nigerian independent comic books has signed an international deal with Emagine Content and Jackie Boy Entertainment to see the adaptation of its African superheroes catalogue for both film and television.
According to The Tide source, the production deal will first see a feature film adaptation of Comic Republics centred on a African superheroes. Confirming the collaboration, Comic Republic CEO, Jide Martin, shared:
“It’s a great time to be alive, we are in a world where diversity had taken centre stage, we are thrilled to bring our heroes and stories to the big screen, but mostly because we get the chance to be a part of black history”.
“This deal is a major push towards diversity on the silver screen for black superheroes”, he added. Emagine CEO, Ben Phelps said “The time is now to showcase heroes of all different backgrounds. The ability to create role models for future generations to come is a unique opportunity that comes with an important responsibility to make sure the storyline is authentic.
“For us, finding a partnership that is looking to be a destructive force with good moral is everything. The companies confirmed that the goal of the new collaboration was to portray a positive global influence of Africa and to negate misconceptions.
- Sports4 days ago
Okagbare Sets New Record At Olympic Trials
- Featured4 days ago
APC’s Ploy To Ban, Regulate Social Media, Hypocritical, Wike Affirms
- Politics2 days ago
APC: C’River LP Disowns Decampees
- Oil & Energy4 days ago
Total Nigeria Advocates Petroleum Subsidy Removal
- Oil & Energy4 days ago
Buhari Thumbs Up For NLNG As NNPC Reviews Activities
- Sports2 days ago
CAF Mulls Super League Idea
- Politics4 days ago
Okorocha Cautions Igbos On Secession
- Editorial4 days ago
As New Rivers LG Chairmen Assume Office…